Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Any word on the minor team for Wensday night above in Ennis?

Anyone hear hos training going etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Haven't heard much about the minors bar the few challenge games I saw them in recently. Team should be similar to that which beat Cork in a challenge two weeks ago. Eoin Kearns, Tadgh Burke, Michael Harney, Tom Devine, Shane McNulty, Kieran Bennett, Stephen Bennett and Cathal Curran will likely all start. With Colin Dunford out, I'd say that will mean a start for Adam O'Sullivan. Good team with plenty of potential.
    Clare are meant to be without their best player Jamie Shanahan who has been injured the last while with a shoulder injury I believe so that would be a big blow to them. Looking forward to next Weds night, should be a good game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

If they win they will play Tipp in a semi final. If they lose they will have to beat Limerick and Cork, depending on how their game goes it could be either or first.

If they win they will play Tipp in a semi final. If they lose they will have to beat Limerick and Cork, depending on how their game goes it could be either or first.

Yeah that's it. Win or lose, it looks to be a tough path to the final and what makes it harder is that they'll have all away games if they meet either Limerick, Cork or Tipp (and obv Clare also), as we had home advantage the last time we played all them. Would have good belief in this team though and give them every chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Cake Man wrote: »
    Yeah that's it. Win or lose, it looks to be a tough path to the final and what makes it harder is that they'll have all away games if they meet either Limerick, Cork or Tipp (and obv Clare also), as we had home advantage the last time we played all them. Would have good belief in this team though and give them every chance.

Only one way to go and thats through the front door! These lads need a win against Clare to bury a few demons over the last few years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Roll call for the minor game on Weds -
    Any of ye travelling? was thinking about it, but might be a bit far this time...:(

Any of ye travelling? was thinking about it, but might be a bit far this time...:(

What time is it on at?

Yeah, I'll prob head up. Throw in at 7. Haven't a clue of Ennis, was never up there before.
    Only one way to go and thats through the front door! These lads need a win against Clare to bury a few demons over the last few years

True, we owe them one or two at this stage. The Clare folk reckon this years team isn't as good as the the previous two years. I'd be quietly confident we can beat them.

Heard the seniors are playing Offaly this evening in a challenge, not sure where or what time though. It'll be the last challenge game before the players go back to their clubs for a few weeks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Anyone else know anymore about the above? Or even just if its in Waterford? :pac:

Silly county board and their secrecy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

has anyone got any news on the challenge match last night ?

The Clare folk reckon this years team isn't as good as the the previous two years/QUOTE]

Interesting. How would you say we compare to the last few years? Weve been consistently strong the last 3 years Id like to think we can keep the conveyor belt rolling rather than just be a flash in the pan

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Hi all im new to the message boards and am Waterford true and true!
    Just in relation to this year's minor team i think"cakeman"has the position of goalie mixed up.It's Seanie Barry from Lismore who is playing there in all the challenge games and is actually capt of the team for the year. And just to sort out the Ray Barry mix up well he is Seanie's brother and is on the u21 panel this year.

zol 2 wrote: »
    Hi all im new to the message boards and am Waterford true and true!
    Just in relation to this year's minor team i think"cakeman"has the position of goalie mixed up.It's Seanie Barry from Lismore who is playing there in all the challenge games and is actually capt of the team for the year. And just to sort out the Ray Barry mix up well he is Seanie's brother and is on the u21 panel this year.

Ah my mistake, I had thought that was Eoin Kearns up to now, nevermind! :o
    Barry is an excellent keeper and has been solid out in the challenge games.
    Welcome to the thread, good to see more Deise supporters on here!
    Interesting. How would you say we compare to the last few years? Weve been consistently strong the last 3 years Id like to think we can keep the conveyor belt rolling rather than just be a flash in the pan

I think the team is as good as the last few years but I suppose the acid test of championship matches will give us a clearer picture of just how good they are. Would like to think that with the CnaD Harty winning side backboning the team there's plenty of quality in it.
    That's the hope anyway to keep the conveyor belt rolling. To be fair the structures have improved drastically in the last few years underage with plenty of fine players filtering through. I don't think this is just a flash in the pan, as much hard work has gone into developing those underage structures and what we're seeing now is the fruit from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

hope rain stays away for double header in dungarvan.

Cheers cakeman for the welcome. As for this year's minors i agree with your last post,they potentially are a good side but they will be up against it in Ennis as it's as much a fortress for Clare as Walsh Park is for us. Colin Dunford will be a big loss in midfield and there are serious doubts over another one or two so it will be a tough ask.But here's hoping they pull it off. We could have a situation where we could have 3 brothers playing for us(Kieran,Stephen and Shane Bennett)i'd ask the question to the stats people out there has this every been done at minor level before?

Would like to think that with the CnaD Harty winning side backboning the team there's plenty of quality in it.

Agreed but Id also point to 07 & 08 when dls college won all around them at Harty and AI colleges and hopes for waterford minors were high as a result but we were quite frankly blown away out of it by Cork in the Munster championship both years. I think maybe the colleges hurling hindered the county teams preparation both years but all in all its a different level of hurling entirely

Thats fascinating if the 3 Bennetts end up on the field at the same time.. A big night for the Saggart' no doubt!

Sad to hear he will be out for club and county for the foreseeable future. It must surely make our Munster championship game against Limerick all the more difficult now. Abbeyside/Ballinacourty will miss him also with club championship games coming up thick and fast in both codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,780 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Any reports on the Waterford/Offaly challenge game that was suppose to be played the weekend.

Surly we must have more games coming up before June 17th. Hard challenges against the likes of Cork or Galway would be good prep. Clare will probly play most of the country before the championship lol

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Any reports on the Waterford/Offaly challenge game that was suppose to be played the weekend.

Surly we must have more games coming up before June 17th. Hard challenges against the likes of Cork or Galway would be good prep. Clare will probly play most of the country before the championship lol

Didn't hear anything else on it myself, it may have been called off as players were away playing club football and some injuries too-apparently only 12 at training one night last week because of these.
    Think Clare have a challenge v Dublin soon.

Mentioned on radio that the minors to meet tonight with a few undergoing fitness tests ahead of Weds. Presume the team will be named also.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »

There will be 3 rounds of the club championship as well as two rounds of the county league over the next few weeks!

Seanie Barry Lismore (Capt)
    Kieran Bennett Lismore
    Tadgh De Burcha Clashmore
    Shane Bennett Lismore
    Kieran Power Killrosanty
    Shane Mc Nulty De La Salle
    Tom Devine St Mary's
    Conor Sheehan Ballygunner
    Cian Leamy Ballyduff Upper
    DJ Foran Portlaw
    Michael Harney Bunmahon
    Adam O Sullivan De La Salle
    Cathal Curran Dungarvan
    Darragh Flynn Erins Own
    Stephen Bennett Lismore

Seanie Barry Lismore (Capt)
    Kieran Bennett Lismore
    Tadgh De Burcha Clashmore
    Shane Bennett Lismore
    Kieran Power Killrosanty
    Shane Mc Nulty De La Salle
    Tom Devine St Mary's
    Conor Sheehan Ballygunner
    Cian Leamy Ballyduff Upper
    DJ Foran Portlaw
    Michael Harney Bunmahon
    Adam O Sullivan De La Salle
    Cathal Curran Dungarvan
    Darragh Flynn Erins Own
    Stephen Bennett Lismore

Interesting that the balance seems to be with the western clubs this years. Good to see the small clubs being represented aswell like Bunmahon, Kilrossantly and Modeligo (Tom Devine, even though hes named as St. Marys above thats incorrect) and the 3 bennetts of ballysaggart

Good team, happy with that. Cathal Curran and Stephen Bennett well capable of racking up some scores, with Darragh Flynn good from frees.
    Good half back line there too, Tadgh Burke also a solid full back option.
    Would have been nice if Colin Dunford was fit but I think the lads are good enough to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Sad to hear he will be out for club and county for the foreseeable future. It must surely make our Munster championship game against Limerick all the more difficult now. Abbeyside/Ballinacourty will miss him also with club championship games coming up thick and fast in both codes.

Broken jaw I heard - disaster! Any idea if this was an off the ball incident or did it happen in general play?

It happened in general play with only a few minutes left i heard.

15 year old corner back. Is that dodgy.?
    How good is Shane Bennet?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

HillFarmer wrote: »
    15 year old corner back. Is that dodgy.?
    How good is Shane Bennet?

Seems very dodgy especially playing in the backs where a player needs a bit of strength to win a 50:50 ball. Hard to know how good a player is at that age, sure this evening will be a good test.

True, cant wait now, Hon the deise!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

I saw Shane Bennett playing in the county minor final, he did look small out on the field alright, but more then made up for that with skill and tenacity, he was described to me as being fearless by someone who has seen more of him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement