Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seanie Johnston Kildare Transfer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Johnny Doyle is the best player on the pitch in most matches. ;)

And yes I've seen McKiernan play 3 or 4 times and he is good but not anywhere near as good as Jelly.

Can I ask in what games have you seen McKiernan play? Seems strange you've seen him play 3 or 4 times but haven't seen Johnston play since 2008.

I'd also ask that you watch a few Cavan games online and see if your view of Johnston is still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

MIcky I think your talking out of your arse tbh!! What's with the Johnston love? I have never seen mckiernan playing I don't think but if lemlin says he is a better player than seanie take his word as he seems to know his Cavan county scene!! It's like your clutching at straws and can not have a negative thing said about seanie..

He is not the best player since dawn of time undoubtedly he is a fine footballer but one of ten best in country?? I don't think so!!

Btw don't take that personally but you really seem to be saying anything at all to lemlin to try to prove your right when your not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lemlin wrote: »
    What decisions from the sideline cost Cavan the game?

I was at that game and Cavan were terrible in the second half. Offaly were woeful and Cavan should have beaten them. It was hugely disappointing but it was down to the players more than anyone else IMO.

No, I don't think there was any improvement but I do think that young players got vital playing time and Cavan moved towards a more professional panel.

If Terry Hyland did take over, I'd happily see him drop every player from the era pre this year and concentrate on playing only U21s from last year and this year and the others coming through. It's not because of the different management that Cavan have beaten only 3 poor sides (Antrim, Fermanagh and Wicklow) in six years of Championship.

People can keep their head in the sand if they like but management isn't the problem in Cavan.

Well if it's not because of the management why do you think Cavan have beaten only three poor sides in the last 6 years. I would say that it is because they should have appointed someone with a good pedigree in management who would be looked up to and who would be a good motivator. None of their last managers since Mc Hugh have had any success. Tommy Carr was even in charge of Westmeath minors who were well beaten by Louth at the weekend. and with Dublin and Roscommon prior to that. Andrews had no success with Louth and in my opinion set them back several years.
    Obviously I was not at the Cavan v Offaly game but they failed to use their extra man wisely and lost a 4 point half-time lead. My Cavan friends who were at the game say that the sideline were unable to curb the match winning performance of Offaly's Niall McNamee so they didn't/couldn't use the extra man to their advantage at all and seemed to have a poor if any game plan.

I would not disagree with your point in using the U 21's from the last two years at all but you need a good experienced manager with a winning pedigree in order not to ruin them. The likes of Pete Mc Grath who has won All Irelands would be great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Can I ask in what games have you seen McKiernan play? Seems strange you've seen him play 3 or 4 times but haven't seen Johnston play since 2008.

I'd also ask that you watch a few Cavan games online and see if your view of Johnston is still the same.
    I've only seen Johnston play once live! I've seen him loads of times on telly and online. The same with McKiernan, and I can't recall the games but he didn't stand out in them unlike Johnston. Johnston will get even better if he plays with Kildare, he will have much better players around him and the supply of ball will be better than what he would have gotten playing on a poor Cavan team.

As for you DK, you were preaching to me that a NFL final is more important than a Leinster title so excuse me if I take what you say with a very large pinch of salt. You also didn't know what position Johnston plays so you really haven't a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

As for you DK, you were preaching to me that a NFL Division 2final is more important than a Leinster title so excuse me if I take what you say with a very large pinch of salt. You also didn't know what position Johnston plays so you really haven't a clue.

FYP, and that makes it even worse! I agree that quite a few of DK's posts are complete nonesense.

full_irish wrote: »
    FYP, and that makes it even worse! I agree that quite a few of DK's posts are complete nonesense.

Who asked you for an opinion on my posts??

Keep your nose out please?? ;)

I've only seen Johnston play once live! I've seen him loads of times on telly and online. The same with McKiernan, and I can't recall the games but he didn't stand out in them unlike Johnston. Johnston will get even better if he plays with Kildare, he will have much better players around him and the supply of ball will be better than what he would have gotten playing on a poor Cavan team.

As for you DK, you were preaching to me that a NFL final is more important than a Leinster title so excuse me if I take what you say with a very large pinch of salt. You also didn't know what position Johnston plays so you really haven't a clue.

I think your clinging on to the fact or hope that Johnston will push us forward to an AI which is crap talk that's what I'm saying and as for people talking bout a Leinster title 12 years ago LMAO I bet you would suit as a Liverpool fan talking bout the 1980s..

There's a reason I didn't know Johnston was a corner forward btw. It's because he is not being talked about much apart from his dramatised transfer and IMO that says a lot about Johnston!!

I think your clinging on to the fact or hope that Johnston will push us forward to an AI which is crap talk that's what I'm saying and as for people talking bout a Leinster title 12 years ago LMAO I bet you would suit as a Liverpool fan talking bout the 1980s..

There's a reason I didn't know Johnston was a corner forward btw. It's because he is not being talked about much apart from his dramatised transfer and IMO that says a lot about Johnston!!
    This sentence makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

You didn't know he was a corner forward because of your lack of knowledge, the reason you thought he was a centre forward is because it says so on his Wiki page. ;)

This sentence makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

You didn't know he was a corner forward because of your lack of knowledge, the reason you thought he was a centre forward is because it says so on his Wiki page. ;)
    so what?? does it matter i dont follow cavan football??

your ****e talking and lemlin called you out and fair play to him imo....

what knowledge do you have? hoping that cavans rejects will come play for us.. cop yourself on, theres a reason why cavan dont want him...

• Advertisement

so what?? does it matter i dont follow cavan football??

your ****e talking and lemlin called you out and fair play to him imo....

what knowledge do you have? hoping that cavans rejects will come play for us.. cop yourself on, theres a reason why cavan dont want him...
    More than you evidently. Go on, enlighten us all to why Cavan don't want him...

Well if it's not because of the management why do you think Cavan have beaten only three poor sides in the last 6 years. I would say that it is because they should have appointed someone with a good pedigree in management who would be looked up to and who would be a good motivator. None of their last managers since Mc Hugh have had any success. Tommy Carr was even in charge of Westmeath minors who were well beaten by Louth at the weekend. and with Dublin and Roscommon prior to that. Andrews had no success with Louth and in my opinion set them back several years.
    Obviously I was not at the Cavan v Offaly game but they failed to use their extra man wisely and lost a 4 point half-time lead. My Cavan friends who were at the game say that the sideline were unable to curb the match winning performance of Offaly's Niall McNamee so they didn't/couldn't use the extra man to their advantage at all and seemed to have a poor if any game plan.

I would not disagree with your point in using the U 21's from the last two years at all but you need a good experienced manager with a winning pedigree in order not to ruin them. The likes of Pete Mc Grath who has won All Irelands would be great.

It's because of the players as I've said above. The talent just hasn't been there for the last few years. We had a bunch of players who achieved nothing at underage level. Cavan people name off various players and regularly talk as if they should be playing for Dublin or Kerry but the fact is that the talent, and often dedication and commitment, just isn't there.

To be honest, Val Andrews and Tommy Carr are about the best we could have hoped for. No managers would be cueing up to take on Cavan, especially with the way the panel have acted in the past. The last three managers, McElhennon, Keoghan and Carr have commented on it, and I saw it still going on with my own eyes last year under Andrews. That is why I was happy to see him take the autocratic route.

McGrath hasn't managed a successful county team in years. Cavan need some of the Armagh/Tyrone players who are familiar with the way GAA is now played. They'd really move the panel on. That's why I would of loved to have seen McNulty or Canavan.

My only hope is that a decent manager might see the decent U21s/minors that we have coming through and take the plunge. With this latest farce, I can't see it happening though.

If I could appoint any man in the morning, it would be Joe Kernan. Whoever comes in, needs to be given time anyway. Time that I still believe Val should have been afforded. He started the work that others ignored before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Who asked you for an opinion on my posts??

Keep your nose out please?? ;)

Well if that's how we're playing the game... who asked you to comment on my posts? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's because of the players as I've said above. The talent just hasn't been there for the last few years. We had a bunch of players who achieved nothing at underage level. Cavan people name off various players and regularly talk as if they should be playing for Dublin or Kerry but the fact is that the talent, and often dedication and commitment, just isn't there.

To be honest, Val Andrews and Tommy Carr are about the best we could have hoped for. No managers would be cueing up to take on Cavan, especially with the way the panel have acted in the past. The last three managers, McElhennon, Keoghan and Carr have commented on it, and I saw it still going on with my own eyes last year under Andrews. That is why I was happy to see him take the autocratic route.

McGrath hasn't managed a successful county team in years. Cavan need some of the Armagh/Tyrone players who are familiar with the way GAA is now played. They'd really move the panel on. That's why I would of loved to have seen McNulty or Canavan.

My only hope is that a decent manager might see the decent U21s/minors that we have coming through and take the plunge. With this latest farce, I can't see it happening though.

If I could appoint any man in the morning, it would be Joe Kernan. Whoever comes in, needs to be given time anyway. Time that I still believe Val should have been afforded. He started the work that others ignored before him.

Don't think Big Joe had much success in Galway though. They couldn't afford him either it seems. I think every county has good enough players if treated properly and given good training regimes. Underage success does not always lead to senior success either and Kerry seem to be able to produce senior teams without it.

Could you please name some of these games that you've seen Johnston in. Cavan are rarely shown on TV or online. Indeed, Johnston's virtuoso performance against Wicklow in 2009 got the grand total of about two minutes on the Sunday Game, and that was to summarise an entire game which had two sendings off.

The panel has won 3 games in six years of Championship football so its not as if there is much to show to be honest. A maximum of two games most years could be shown and a Cavan qualifier game has never been shown live on TV - we're not exactly top of the billing. In fact, one game, against Donegal last year, has been shown in the last two years of Championship football.

Your point re McKiernan also confuses me. McKiernan only started playing intercounty senior football for Cavan in 2011. Only the Donegal game was televised last year and the only game he ever played in that was televised before that was the U21 All-Ireland final. That's a grand total of 2 games that you could have seen him play in.

Therefore I seem to be missing out on some online catalogue of Cavan games you have access to that I'd love to watch.

I agree with your point re the better players but the other thing is that Johnston will be playing against better players. Karl Lacey did a fine job on him last year for Donegal and that's the standard of corner back he'll be up against if Kildare go as far as they expect. It's one thing scoring six points in a half hour against Wicklow, it's another thing playing against the backs from Dublin, Cork and Kerry.

I'm not disagreeing that Johnston is a fine player but I do think you are vastly overrating him and I also think you are making comments about McKiernan when you know very little about him.

I'd love to see him go to Kildare and knock over points for fun and I've always wished him the best if he does go. To be honest, he's had years of trudging around in what has been a very unprofessional Cavan camp. I know one of the lads who played for DCU with him described DCU training as being top notch and Cavan training under Tommy Carr at the time being a joke. Years of stuff like that had to eat into his commitment.

Don't think Big Joe had much success in Galway though. They couldn't afford him either it seems. I think every county has good enough players if treated properly and given good training regimes. Underage success does not always lead to senior success either and Kerry seem to be able to produce senior teams without it.

I'd disagree re every county having talent. It's quite clear that some counties are just weak. I also think population comes into it. Cavan has quite a low population compared to most other counties. There's more people in Blanchardstown than their is in the whole county of Cavan.

Big Joe was an All-Ireland winner and Cavan would do well to get anywhere near him, despite what happened in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Cavan Gaels challenge Johnston move
    By Colm Keys
    Monday April 16 2012

SEANIE Johnston's protracted transfer request to a club in Kildare has taken another twist with concern now raised by his club over the player's proposed move.

Cavan Gaels had originally opted not to challenge any aspect of Johnston's move to St Kevin's in Kildare when he submitted his first request in January.

But the latest request has come back from Cavan to Croke Park with concerns raised by both the county board and his current club over the move.

Clubs and county boards can't raise 'objections' in these matters, but they can raise concerns and it is understood that the Central Competitions Controls Committee (CCCC) will have to examine a new concern from Cavan Gaels over Johnston's permanent residency.

The transfer form came back from Cavan late last week, just hours before Congress voted to change the rules governing inter-county transfers.<snip>
    The CCCC are not expected to meet on the issue until Monday of next week.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/cavan-gaels-challenge-johnston-move-3081523.html

The rule book section on transfers was tidied up at congress at the weekend along with minor modifications but if I understand it right the new rules don't come into force for 4 weeks after the vote, so this will be dealt with under the old rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lilywhites28

Dont think the motion at congress effects him Johnstons case is being heard on Monday the 23rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I love keeping this thrend going but it looks like the GAA are acting the mickey once more I cant understand why they didnt ask cavan gaels up to their meeting last night. Madness

Meanwhile, the Seanie Johnston transfer saga is set to drag into a fifth month after the Central Competition Controls Committee (CCCC) delayed making a decision on his application to switch to Kildare last night.
    The committee instead opted to invite Johnston's home club Cavan Gaels to their next meeting after they raised concerns about his residency claims. That meeting is unlikely to happen until early May.
    Johnston supplied an address in Straffan in a bid to throw his lot in with Kildare. The saga has been complicated further after Val Andrews stepped down as Cavan manager and his replacement Terry Hyland has refused to rule out a return to the fold for the 27-year-old attacker.

I love keeping this thrend going but it looks like the GAA are acting the mickey once more I cant understand why they didnt ask cavan gaels up to their meeting last night. Madness

Meanwhile, the Seanie Johnston transfer saga is set to drag into a fifth month after the Central Competition Controls Committee (CCCC) delayed making a decision on his application to switch to Kildare last night.
    The committee instead opted to invite Johnston's home club Cavan Gaels to their next meeting after they raised concerns about his residency claims. That meeting is unlikely to happen until early May.
    Johnston supplied an address in Straffan in a bid to throw his lot in with Kildare. The saga has been complicated further after Val Andrews stepped down as Cavan manager and his replacement Terry Hyland has refused to rule out a return to the fold for the 27-year-old attacker.

Croke Park doesn't want the move to go through. It's as simple as that. They'll drag their heels to the last and they've already started changing rules and regulations since this move started.

Seanie better watch out or he'll be playing no competitive football, let alone intercounty.

• Advertisement

Its a complete joke. He's being giving the go around. I hope the lad sticks to his guns now and keeps going until the dra put in through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Its a joke now I read some where that they has been 50 inter- county transfers in kildare already this year. It really is some ass in a cheap suit in corke park pulling these strings.
    our club championship is starting around the 2nd or 3rd weekend in may so I hope it will be sorted out by then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

You're right lads, its a joke alright.

but not for the reasons you outline.

bruschi wrote: »
    You're right lads, its a joke alright.

but not for the reasons you outline.
    Go on... enlighten us all..

Go on... enlighten us all..

Ah... you're back....

Any chance you could answer my post above (that you conveniently forgot about) re this online catalogue of games that you've been watching Seanie Johnston and Gearoid McKiernan in?

My post:
    Could you please name some of these games that you've seen Johnston in. Cavan are rarely shown on TV or online. Indeed, Johnston's virtuoso performance against Wicklow in 2009 got the grand total of about two minutes on the Sunday Game, and that was to summarise an entire game which had two sendings off.

The panel has won 3 games in six years of Championship football so its not as if there is much to show to be honest. A maximum of two games most years could be shown and a Cavan qualifier game has never been shown live on TV - we're not exactly top of the billing. In fact, one game, against Donegal last year, has been shown in the last two years of Championship football.

Your point re McKiernan also confuses me. McKiernan only started playing intercounty senior football for Cavan in 2011. Only the Donegal game was televised last year and the only game he ever played in that was televised before that was the U21 All-Ireland final. That's a grand total of 2 games that you could have seen him play in.

Therefore I seem to be missing out on some online catalogue of Cavan games you have access to that I'd love to watch.

Well its April now and after following this transfer from the beginning in my opinion the lad has been subject to some unjust treatment and his transfer is treated as a special (hot) case. Thats wrong. In all honesty the decision is being postponed once again because of some dubious excuse. What was the excuse used this time? A new comittee is being put together therefore the decision will be put on hold until the "new" comittee make it! They could of invited both Seanie and cavan gaels up last monday night. Its a delay tactic. Common sense should prevail. Make the damn decision and let everyone know where they stand. Honest to god I wouldnt be holding me breath for a decision anytime soon and can see it going to the Dra. :rolleyes: Must be very frustrating for the lad and the parties involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

He's probably missed the boat at this stage, but you never know.

He is flat out tweeting a few of the Kildare players though but he never seems to get a reply.....?

Well the first round of kildares club championship will be played id say before he gets a decision and will miss st.kevins game. Kildare are not out until june 17th so theres very chance if he finally gets the go ahead.

Didn't see the game yesterday but is it true that Johnston was sitting with the Kildare subs or back room team? I'm hearing rumours that he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Didn't see the game yesterday but is it true that Johnston was sitting with the Kildare subs or back room team? I'm hearing rumours that he was.
    According to one of the lads on the Kildare thread he was sitting with back room team

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement