Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

Beasty wrote: »
    It happened to me on this segment, where the segment goes round the Lusk by-pass, but the leaderboard includes those who took the direct route through Lusk

Despite taking the longer route, I still took the KOM by over 2 minutes mind ...

Same for me too on that segment. Somehow made it onto the leader board but have never taken that route.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I reported a ride that I had a KOM on, I feel proud that having bet Mr. Sherlock on one ride I still reported it for being ridiculously stupid, through three lights and one left turn across a ridiculously busy junction (Dundrum LUAS bridge).

I forgot to mention I had almost a minute on 2nd place over a 2 minute course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

lennymc wrote: »
    something that came up on twitter - apparently theives are using tracking sites like mapmyride, strava, etc to find out where people with high end bikes live. I have my strava set up to not show rides 500 metres from my house. Its under the settings -> privacy tab if anyone wants to set it up.

i challenge them to find which of the 200 apartments im in, wouldnt be suprised thou if your living in house id turn that on or small complex

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Do ye think it's possible for them (@ Strava) to fix certain GPS mal-functions ??!! ie. I've done a few climbs recently and the odd time the Strava file doesn't indicate the climb segment, it looks like the GPS went a bit haywire :eek::confused:
    Should I 'flag' the entire route ? or just the climb or do I just put up with the frustrating nature of my flakey GPS !?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

heh, some of the API is obviously confusing for this notifier app. I'm joint first on a segment. A week ago I got:
    buffalo had previously been in 1st place, and is now out of the top ten.

Today I got
    buffalo had previously been out of the top ten, and is now in 1st place.

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

anyone ever get their 2011 climbing challenge patches?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Anybody use strava for android to record rides? It has crashed on me twice when trying to 'finish' rides, causing me to lose two rides

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Anybody use strava for android to record rides? It has crashed on me twice when trying to 'finish' rides, causing me to lose two rides

As far as I understand it their android app is a bit buggy and this is a common complaint.

Inquitus wrote: »
    As far as I understand it their android app is a bit buggy and this is a common complaint.

So then can I use a more reliable app like 'mytracks' and then upload the gpx to the strava website and still log times on segments etc.?

So then can I use a more reliable app like 'mytracks' and then upload the gpx to the strava website and still log times on segments etc.?

Yes you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

And you can even use more than one app to record your tracks. I was using 4 at one point. MapMyRides was useless but Endomondo, SportTracksLive & Sports Tracker all worked well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Yes you can.
    ktz84 wrote: »
    And you can even use more than one app to record your tracks.

I've used Strava and MyTracks at the same time without any hitches, so in my experience there's no conflict between the two.

I've used Strava and MyTracks at the same time without any hitches, so in my experience there's no conflict between the two.

OK I will use mytracks so. I was more concerned about strava not accepting my times for segments and challenges etc. (not that I'll ever win them :p). But its something to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

I use Endomondo at times as it seems to pick up GPS better when starting. However, you seem to lose something doing it this way. Segments do not seem to come up for me. Not a huge problem if you are as slow as me!:(

Cyclist knocks over pedestrian after running red light on a strava segment.
    On March 29, San Francisco web entrepreneur Chris Bucchere was returning from a group cycling ride when he struck and killed a 71-year-old pedestrian while "bombing" his bicycle down Castro street and through a crowded crosswalk—at 35 MPH, according to his STRAVA app. "In a nutshell, blammo," is how Bucchere described the incident in a (since deleted) posting to the Mission Cycling Club website. While he noted a "RIVER of blood" from his victim, Bucchere ended his post with a jovial ode to his own "late helmet." As Bucchere tries to scrub his online identity, including posts about fixed-gear bikes, some cyclists are questioning whether riding a fixed-gear bike without brakes may have contributed to the accident.

http://www.metafilter.com/114644/Reckless-Cyclist-May-Face-Charges-for-Fatal-Accident

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/06/chris-bucchere-san-francisco_n_1408706.html

did cyclist discuss prizes for winning strava segments just four days before his collision

Seems to be causing a stir in San Francisco. Perhap the reason I've noticed a lot of segments that pass through traffic light removed from strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Why would a bike without brakes contribute to an accident? Doesn't make sense :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Maybe it does if you see how steep Castro Street is.....

360px-Castro_Street_SF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

I find it hard to believe that he was on a fixie in a group ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Jawgap wrote: »
    Maybe it does if you see how steep Castro Street is.....

I was just being sarcastic :D Personally I think it's stupid riding a bike without brakes regardless of what god mode you think you have on it.

Sarcasm-Motivational-Poster-house-md-3805895-500-400.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Sorry my sarcasm filter was on......:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

How did Strava come up with this? Is it possible that it just added speeds for 2 laps?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

RT66 wrote: »
    How did Strava come up with this? Is it possible that it just added speeds for 2 laps?

Nope.

http://app.strava.com/rides/7114320#135298177

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

Jaysus ,moses is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Jaysus ,moses is back.

if your referring to part crossing the lakes theirs a bridge their.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

manafana wrote: »
    if your referring to part crossing the lakes theirs a bridge their.

Ah ,sorry. I'm going to hell so.

Swords league better watch out RT66 is in Spartacus form!

Swords league better watch out RT66 is in Spartacus form!

Yeah, my strategy is to hit the front straight off and I'll be warming down on the rollers watching the sprint for 2nd. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

Wonder should ye ask this lad to join the strava club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Junior wrote: »
    Wonder should ye ask this lad to join the strava club

No. He rides livestrong bikes.

• Advertisement

Anyone else going for this one?
    :)

Advertisement