Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Do you have a link for this.

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Yup, thats the one I have used - I9100XWLP7.

No battery or any other issues so far. Dont use skype. That may be a bit of drain on battery.

DD9090 wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to the last version of GB? Branded or unbranded? I'm on 3.

ICS is not for me in its current form, battery is a big issue but the constant crashing has my nut done in.

Lots of other smaller issues also.

Use the link provided by wotzgoingon.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭gammon_steak

coldfire1x wrote: »

Which ICS update did you use? I used the recent UK/Ireland and updated it via odin.

I connected my S2 to pc and Kies and then upgraded that way via usb cable.

Just deleted accuweather app (it seemed to crash a lot) and set facebook update interval to 'never' as opposed to 1 hour where I had it.

If I don't see an improvement I'll try a factory reset.

What is CM9?? I searched the google play store and all 'cm9' turns up first is Chargebar MIUI?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

snowey07 wrote: »
    Hi all
    can anyone advise me on battery depletion on my new s2?

I solved it. Force closed the app Hullo Mail that was keeping it awake . Phone is off charge now 14 hours and with normal usage the battery is only at 64% :D

I love this phone !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

What is CM9?? I searched the google play store and all 'cm9' turns up first is Chargebar MIUI?
    Cyanogen Mod 9. It's still in Beta I think, but it's pretty solid. You can flash the nightly builds pretty easily. More here.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭plhealy2000

Thanks
    Do you have a link for this.

Here

I connected my S2 to pc and Kies and then upgraded that way via usb cable.

Just deleted accuweather app (it seemed to crash a lot) and set facebook update interval to 'never' as opposed to 1 hour where I had it.

If I don't see an improvement I'll try a factory reset.

I think you first try the link provide by wotzgoingon. Download the first one and use odin to flash it. Very simple and take at max 5 min. It does not require you to root your phone.

If you are not happy then only try rooting your phone and installing CM9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

srsly78 wrote: »
    Get rid of misbehaving apps so, leaving skype open is a big drain I find.
    Couldn't find any misbehaving apps. Is it possible that not having any/ poor reception could cause the battery to drain faster though? Seems to be dropping a bit slower when I'm not around home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Definitely. Weak signal means the radio has to use more juice to make connection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Another update. 27hrs after a full charge the battery is now at 23%.

Something strange happened this morning though.
    After trying to send a text message this morning, swype crashed and phone started to get extremely hot.
    The keyboard became unresponsive, so I rebooted the phone. When it rebooted, I got the battery low warning. Checked the battery left and it was at 12%.

I've left it for about an hour now and the battery is at 23% now.

Bit all over the place, but there a go.

Edit: 1pm and the battery is showing 31% now. :rolleyes:

Absolutely. I'm on 3Ireland and have little or no 3G signal where I live. The phone is constantly trying to switch between 2G/3G. The battery can go flat very quickly - a matter of a few hours.

The solution for me was to manually switch to GSM only while at home.

On my old N900 I had the same problem, but I had an app that switched automatically based on a timed profile. I haven't been able to find an app on Android that does the same.
    Aodan83 wrote: »
    ...Is it possible that not having any/ poor reception could cause the battery to drain faster though? Seems to be dropping a bit slower when I'm not around home.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I updated to 4.0 last night and the Security settings crash each time I try and load them. Anybody else have this?

Was it LP7? If not install that one it is the newest that fixed a few bugs. Also if it was, do a full wipe install to alleviate any problems. And can't talk for anybody else but I never came across that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

On my old N900 I had the same problem, but I had an app that switched automatically based on a timed profile. I haven't been able to find an app on Android that does the same.

Tasker can do this, but newer versions of android won't allow it. It seems to have been a deliberate move, I think google wants to push the networks to make them provide better higher speed network coverage. If they cared at all about actually improving our experience I don't think it would be have been too difficult to have a setting that keeps your phone on 2G for background syncing and then checks for 3G signal when you actively open an application requiring internet access. Or at least switch to a 2G network when you have wifi access.

On CM9 you can set one of the toggle switches in the notification drawer to switch between 2G and 2G/3G as an alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't think it does timed switching, but 3G watchdog has a widget so you can switch 3G on or off with one touch, which I find useful anyway.

I don't see any button in 3G watchdog to swtich between GSM and 3G.

I see you can turn on/off packet data alright, but that's not what I want.

It's been one of those days so maybe my eyes are deceiving me? ;)
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    I don't think it does timed switching, but 3G watchdog has a widget so you can switch 3G on or off with one touch, which I find useful anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't see any button in 3G watchdog to swtich between GSM and 3G.

I see you can turn on/off packet data alright, but that's not what I want.

It's been one of those days so maybe my eyes are deceiving me? ;)
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    Might be not understanding the question tbf!

@BearNecessities. I'm not on stock so maybe the settings are different. So don't shoot me down if I'm wrong, but the ROM I'm using you go into WIRELESS & NETWORKS and press MORE... and then Mobile networks and tick Use only 2G networks. If that option is not available in stock, I would highly recommend you flash Resurrection Remix v1.5 as that's what I'm on and it has that option for you. I have had no fault what so ever with it. One thing I don't like is his boot animation but you can turn that off in settings and ROM Control.

Cheers wotzgoingon. It's available on stock alright.

I have to toggle to 2G (GSM only) a few times a day, and it gets annoying with all the clicks. :o I wish google would just allow access to whatever api is needed. That way it could be added to the power control in the nav bar.

Think I'll give CM9 a go, it seems to have it built into the power control.
    @BearNecessities. I'm not on stock so maybe the settings are different. So don't shoot me down if I'm wrong, but the ROM I'm using you go into WIRELESS & NETWORKS and press MORE... and then Mobile networks and tick Use only 2G networks. If that option is not available in stock, I would highly recommend you flash Resurrection Remix v1.5 as that's what I'm on and it has that option for you. I have had no fault what so ever with it. One thing I don't like is his boot animation but you can turn that off in settings and ROM Control.

• Advertisement

I have to toggle to 2G (GSM only) a few times a day, and it gets annoying with all the clicks. :o I wish google would just allow access to whatever api is needed. That way it could be added to the power control in the nav bar.

Think I'll give CM9 a go, it seems to have it built into the power control.

Try this. But I didn't install it or try it or fully read through. So maybe it does what you need or maybe it don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

My phone has been odd since the upgrade but now it won't even charge, but will stay working along as it is plugged in.
    Any advice on what I can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Just updated to ICS.

Am I mental or has the internet app completely dissapeared? Anyone know how I get it back? I've tried other browsers, but the normal one's my favourite.

Also, where's the silent mode button gone?

Blisterman wrote: »
    Just updated to ICS.

Am I mental or has the internet app completely dissapeared? Anyone know how I get it back? I've tried other browsers, but the normal one's my favourite.

Also, where's the silent mode button gone?

Which ICS update did you use? I9100XWLP7?

Both are still there. Internet is there in the application. Just hit the application button, locate Internet in the apps, press and hold, it will allow you to place it on your home screen.

Silent mode button is there when you drag down notification area.

Think I'll give CM9 a go, it seems to have it built into the power control
    Hey I was messing around with the ROM I use which is Resurrection remix v1.5 and in ROM control in settings you can customize the the status bar pull down menu and you have the option to put 2G only on by one click. Pretty handy I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

My gmail is no longer pushing messages to the phone. I have to go in and press refresh and then click on inbox for them to appear. Have the phone a year and no problem before. Any ideas?
    Thanks

My gmail is no longer pushing messages to the phone. I have to go in and press refresh and then click on inbox for them to appear. Have the phone a year and no problem before. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Have you upgraded to ICS?

No
    What is ICS anyway? Some new os?

No
    What is ICS anyway? Some new os?
    Ice cream sandwich, new software update for the phone. If you want to upgrade click settings, about phone, then software update.
    Only other thing I can think of is check to make sure notifications for gmail is turned on and that it is set to sync.

• Advertisement

Where do I do that?

Why ICS important to upgrade to? Will it cause changes that I dont want?
    Thanks

Advertisement