Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

......And AX522 was the last 76B service from Blanchardstown and elderly AV98 was the final 76B service from Balrothery...

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

The changes to the 53/A reduce the service from what I would call a "full service" route (all day every day) to a daytime only service, and eliminate the 53A.

However, as a resident of East Wall and regular 53 user, I actually welcome the new timetable, even though less frequent, as it removes the random hodge-podge of departures and replaces them with a simple and effective timetable where every inbound departure is always at half past the hour, and every outbound is always on the hour, on every day of the week.

It's a shame to lose the evening services, but they were barely used, and the 151 and other routes are nearby.

All 53s now go to Alexandra Road at all times.

My only quibble with the route is that the recent terminus change to Talbot Street has taken a service which was already very short, and removed it even further from useful penetration of the city centre.

I would have thought that the 53 would have been ideal for a merger with another infrequent route - now that it is hourly, it could dovetail quite nicely into something like the 54 or 61.

C635

I was on an 84 last night and the driver was telling anyone and anything about the impending change of terminus from UCD to Blackrock...next Sunday..

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

dfx- wrote: »
    I was on an 84 last night and the driver was telling anyone and anything about the impending change of terminus from UCD to Blackrock...next Sunday..

Thats weird driver told me the other day its being merged with the 3 but they still have to go in and loop around belfield terminus.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Until something appears on the Dublin Bus website you can take all of this with a pinch of salt.

The only changes taking place next Sunday are to routes 53, 53a and 151.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

dfx- wrote: »
    stop wrote: »
    Thats weird driver told me the other day its being merged with the 3 but they still have to go in and loop around belfield terminus.

Here is what was sent to the NTA
    In summary the revised network will provide the following benefits:

· Route 145 will continue to provide a high frequency service to Heuston Rail Station
    · A 33% increase in departures on route 84x
    · Additional capacity will be realised on the outbound departures on route 84x for Donnybrook and Belfield as a result of adjusted city centre stopping locations
    · An increase in services from Newcastle/Kilcoole to Bray DART Station
    · An increase in service frequency from Oldcourt (Boghall Road)
    · Improved integration with timetables
    · Direct linkages to Cherrywood Luas & Blackrock with improved frequency of service

Routing summary
    • Route 45 & 84 to be amalgamated and operate as follows: Newcastle/Kilcoole to Blackrock (Main Street) via Greystones, Bray, Shankill, Cherrywood Luas, Cornelscourt, Clonkeen Road, and Deans Grange. This service will continue to provide an hourly service between Bray and Kilcoole/Newcastle.
    • Route 45a will operate from Old Court to Dún Laoghaire via Boghall Road, Vevay Road, Bray, Shankill, Loughlinstown and Glenageary. It will operate to demand at peak times and twice hourly during the daytime.
    • No changes to routes 145,184,185

http://johnbradysf.blogspot.com/2012/04/letter-from-dublin-bus-outlining-cuts.html

lxflyer wrote: »
    Until something appears on the Dublin Bus website you can take all of this with a pinch of salt.

The only changes taking place next Sunday are to routes 53, 53a and 151.

I mean next Sunday May 6th. Driver was not happy about it either, telling anyone on the N11 that there'll only be the 145.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Here is what was sent to the NTA

Where did you get that information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Good question.

Assuming it's true, how is it that the only ones that can imagine no bus service at all on Bray's Esplanade are Dublin Bus...?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Route 45a will operate from Old Court to Dún Laoghaire via Boghall Road, Vevay Road, Bray, Shankill, Loughlinstown and Glenageary. It will operate to demand at peak times and twice hourly during the daytime.

So they're pulling it out of Ballybrack then, leaving no bus service there? Either it goes pretty much current route where it does not serve Loughlinstown at all or as the above suggests will switch to the Dublin Rd to N11 from Shangannagh roundabout and over the flyover, the only direct way it can serve Loughlinstown along that stretch

EDIT: what the hell does "operate to demand" mean? so we might have 2 buses, or 1 or 5 or what?

• Advertisement

So they're pulling it out of Ballybrack then, leaving no bus service there? Either it goes pretty much current route where it does not serve Loughlinstown at all or as the above suggests will switch to the Dublin Rd to N11 from Shanganagh roundabout and over the flyover, the only direct way it can serve Loughlinstown along that stretch
    Doesn't sound right to me either. A whole 3.7-km stretch of roadway with absolutely no frequent bus service, from Shankill all the way to Ballybrack. If people want to go to Dun Laoghaire from Loughlinstown, there's already the 7 and 111, and if to Bray, the 145. Leave the 45A where it is.

(It's like the N.D. scheme wants to encourage driving, honestly. Are these orders from the "troika" or what?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

What ever happened to the 175 route?:confused:

Also, apparently the 59 is due to be reviewed. If any of the other routes are anything to go by, I absolutely dread hearing about it. Hopefully, they will knock a few unnecessary stretches from it (not Dalkey of course:D) and turn it in to a Green Line Luas connector. This way, the routing is more sensible.

Too right CIE, the 45a should continue serving Ballybrack because it does see high usage there!

Sorry, I forgot to add in the source. It was from SF Cllr John Brady a few days ago.

http://johnbradysf.blogspot.com/2012/04/letter-from-dublin-bus-outlining-cuts.html

I would be very surprised if the 45a were re-routed from Shanganagh Road as it is the only bus operating along that road through the day.

As for what "per demand" means, well one can assume that DB have done an analysis of the loadings on the 45a and will schedule buses in line with that. If it is running twice hourly (i.e. every 30 minutes) during the day, then one can presume that the peak frequency will be at least equal or greater than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Transport Fiend

I don't know if people have noticed but it appears the new 53 route will have a stop at the Irish Ferries terminal, although it will not be the terminus, as according to the map on the Dublin Bus website.

Though the service is only 1 an hour it should be help to people getting to and from Irish Ferries (not sure about use for Stenna Line), especially the SailRailers.

I would be very surprised if the 45a were re-routed from Shanganagh Road as it is the only bus operating along that road through the day.
    Let's just hope their definition of Loughlinstown is a bit bigger than the real one and that it actually stays where it is. I'd also contend it doesn't realy go to Glenageary to either at the moment, unless you count Rochestown Ave as in there, the rest is Sallynoggin.
    As for what "per demand" means, well one can assume that DB have done an analysis of the loadings on the 45a and will schedule buses in line with that. If it is running twice hourly (i.e. every 30 minutes) during the day, then one can presume that the peak frequency will be at least equal or greater than that.
    :pac: dangerous assumption given ND to date. Why not simply state a frequency then if it's already done? Tell people it'll be every 20 mins (or whatever) rather than a completely meaningless "as per demand" which gives people no information at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Some regard Shanganagh bridge/Cromlech fields as Loughlinstown. Similar River close is Killiney postal address. I live in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭xper

CIE wrote: »
    Assuming it's true, how is it that the only ones that can imagine no bus service at all on Bray's Esplanade are Dublin Bus...?
    Actually, the Esplanade hasn't had a bus service running along it for two or three years now since the last round of route 45 cutbacks.

I'm disappointed but not surprised to see that the amalgamated 45/84 route will have the same crappy hourly schedule that was inflicted on the Network Direct route 84 v1.0. No 45 vehicles being assigned to this 'amalgamation' obviously. Unless the increase in 184 frequency is siginificant, the eastern half of Bray will continue to be treated with contemopt by DB while the western half has a 10 minute frequency connection to the city centre. God only knows DB management's thinking behind this.

And the joke that is the 'connection' to the Cherrywood LUAS continues.

The eastern half of Bray will have the 45a as well as the 84 and 184, along with Finnegan's service. That amounts to 7 buses an hour which is more than the western half.

And not quite true re the Esplanade - one route 45 journey still serves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It would be accurate to state that there is a genuinely high level of mystification at the,as yet,well concealed reasoning behind DB management's latest plans for the Bray routes.

It appears that they are indeed "cast in stone" despite assurances given at various "Consultation" meetings recently.

There is nothing of any value whatever contained within them,and certainly nothing which would encourage passenger numbers to grow.

It appears,sadly,to be a return to Network Direct V.1.1,which remains a very sad case indeed.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

Some extra info on Bray
    • A new 10.30am 84X service from Newcastle/Kilcoole to accommodate students and shoppers.
    • A new 13.30 84X service from D’Olier Street also to accommodate students.
    • A new 17.30 84 service terminating at Bray Railway Station.
    • An hourly 84 service from Newcastle/Kilcoole that connects with the 145 Heuston service, Bray Railway Station, the LUAS at Cherrywood and terminates in Blackrock.
    • The hugely successful 184 service will remain a 30 minute service from Bray Railway Station to Newtownmountkennedy via Greystones Railway Station.

http://ciaranhayden.com/media/?p=1539

Also the 27 is most likely being taken back home to Clarehall.
    Route 27 will revert to its former terminus at Clare Hall. Following an examination of customer support for route 27 in the Edenmore area Dublin Bus will be realigning the route. Route 27 will be realigned to Clare Hall which will restore the link from the Coolock area to Tesco and the Post Office. When leaving Coolock/Darndale, route 27 will operate via the Malahide Road and turn right at the N32.

http://www.tommybroughan.com/newsite/index.php/broughan-welcomes-proposed-return-of-27-bus-link-between-clare-hall-darndale/

A new 10.30am 84X service from Newcastle/Kilcoole to accommodate students and shoppers.
    A new 13.30 84X service from D’Olier Street also to accommodate students.
    Those students are getting lazier, back in my day... :pac:
    A new 17.30 84 service terminating at Bray Railway Station.
    from where?
    An hourly 84 service from Newcastle/Kilcoole that connects with the 145 Heuston service, Bray Railway Station, the LUAS at Cherrywood and terminates in Blackrock.
    I really wish they'd stop saying it connect to Luas because it stops vaguely near it, it's still a ten minute walk and come closer to St Stephens green Luas than it does to Cherrywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Thats crazy, how come?

Thats crazy, how come?

petty politics from jumped up councillors

I'd say it was more to do with the poor loadings on the Bluden Drive-Edenmore stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Made the mistake of getting a 68 into town today,I completely forgot that it had been re-routed away from it's old quick Islandbridge/Conyngham Road route,my god it takes an awful long time to get into the City Centre,weaving through small south inner city streets before taking ages to get down from Wexford Street to the Central Bank,won't be getting it ever again if I can avoid it!

Made the mistake of getting a 68 into town today; I completely forgot that it had been re-routed away from it's old quick Islandbridge/Conyngham Road route … it takes an awful long time to get into the City Centre, weaving through small south inner city streets before taking ages to get down from Wexford Street to the Central Bank; won't be getting it ever again if I can avoid it!
    Well, the ND overlords were in a big hurry to get rid of the 19, so they had to put the 68 on that route. If you want to get people out of their cars, then you have to run buses that can get people in and out of the city at least as quickly as a car travelling on local roads can.

How would you have reacted if the original ND plan of turning the 68 into a Red Cow-Newcastle shuttle route to/from the Luas had come to fruition instead, and that fact slipped your mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

as long as it has only an hourly frequency, the former 45 (soon to be 84) is a waste of space. nobody will use it if they get a 145 and if beyond Cornelscourt just have a short walk down.

it wouldnt surprise me if they do eventually do scrap the 59 route. always seems like 90% of the users have bus passes, and can only be a loss-making route for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

I'd say it was more to do with the poor loadings on the Bluden Drive-Edenmore stretch.

Its nice to see common sense prevailing. A lot of people in the coolock/darndale area got the 27 to and from Clare hall and it was a popular route in the local aspect. It kicked up a hell of a fuss when plans to change the route were first announced, a petition set up at Clare hall shopping centre got alot of signatures.

Its nice to see DB accept they're wrong once in a blue moon!

• Advertisement

CIE wrote: »
    Well, the ND overlords were in a big hurry to get rid of the 19, so they had to put the 68 on that route. If you want to get people out of their cars, then you have to run buses that can get people in and out of the city at least as quickly as a car travelling on local roads can.

How would you have reacted if the original ND plan of turning the 68 into a Red Cow-Newcastle shuttle route to/from the Luas had come to fruition instead, and that fact slipped your mind?

It was nothing to do with "ND overlords".

The original plan was for the 123 to serve the Bulfin Road area, but a small number of locals kicked up a huge fuss demanding a bus along the SCR.

That's why we have the 68 going the way it does. Having said that the 68 does now offer a link between Clondalkin and the SCR/Camden Street areas which was not there before.

As for the 19, as I am sure you well know, given the absolute certainty included in your posts on this topic, user numbers on the south side were minimal and there was serious over-capacity in the Glasnevin area between the 19, 19a and 83, something the revised 9 and 83 seem to be dealing with perfectly adequately. Also, remember that the 122 was also revised to serve Rialto.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement