Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most incorrect thing you were taught?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's correct in Ireland though, even Wikipedia says so. Spring is not really a meteorological concept in a country with no seasons.

It's not correct and Ireland does have the same seasons as the rest of the Northern Hemisphere and there is not an exception for this for Ireland, despite what Wikipedia may say. (Wikipedia is totally unreliable.)

If you were to follow that logic then the seasons would go as follows:

Feb, Mar Apr= Spring
    May, Jun, Jul= Summer
    Aug, Sep, Oct= Autumn
    Nov,Dec, Jan= Winter

If so how come the peak time for Summer holidays is August? School summer holdays don't begin in May?

UK has Spring Holiday in May?

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    There is no official, correct, start of spring. If you want the sunniest weather to be in summer, then Spring should start in the middle of March. If you want the longest days to be in summer, February should be the start of spring.

It's all just convention, there is no official right or wrong.

This is just wrong on many levels.

Here is what Met Eireann (who should know!) say.
    Seasons
    The change from winter to spring or from summer to autumn is gradual and the general trend is subject to reversals which may last for a week or more. For Climatological purposes, on the basis of air temperature, seasons are regarded as three-month periods as follows: December to February - winter, March to May - spring, June to August- summer and September to November - autumn. This is a common grouping in the meteorological practice of many countries in the middle and northern latitudes.

Source- Met Eireann Website

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's not correct and Ireland does have the same seasons as the rest of the Northern Hemisphere and there is not an exception for this for Ireland, despite what Wikipedia may say. (Wikipedia is totally unreliable.)

If you were to follow that logic then the seasons would go as follows:

Feb, Mar Apr= Spring
    May, Jun, Jul= Summer
    Aug, Sep, Oct= Autumn
    Nov,Dec, Jan= Winter

If so how come the peak time for Summer holidays is August? School summer holdays don't begin in May?

UK has Spring Holiday in May?

Maybe you're totally unreliable? The seasons as you've divided them above are correct for Ireland. Each begins on a traditional feast day according to the old way of splitting the year up (Bealtaine, Lughnasa, Samhain and Imbolc) and have sound astronomical reasons for their existence.

Besids, you wouldn't argue with a groundhog, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Grew up on a farm :cool:

Red does not make a bull charge, such nonsense.
    Maybe that came from TV, I don't know how it started

And putting UP TIPP or KERRY FOR SAM in white paint on round bales is also nonsense and does nothing to keep away the crows
    I suspect the hardware stores of Ireland started that story to do a roaring trade in paint sales

If you put UP THE DUBS on your bales then may the crows rip your plastic to pieces
    The Meath crows hate that

Bulls are colour blind so you are right - it's the movement that moves them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I before E except after C.

Edit:

See that in post 3....

• Advertisement

Maybe you're totally unreliable? The seasons as you've divided them above are correct for Ireland. Each begins on a traditional feast day according to the old way of splitting the year up (Bealtaine, Lughnasa, Samhain and Imbolc) and have sound astronomical reasons for their existence.

Besids, you wouldn't argue with a groundhog, would you?

So Ireland has special climate and astronomical reasons to be out of sync with the rest of the world and Met Eireann's opinion?

Can't wait for my Autumn holidays in August now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,536 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

That there was a tenth planet called smiley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

There's still an ongoing argument with my Business teacher over exchange rates.
    I'll attach the offending question if anyone cares :D
    shur throw it up there, let AH decide who's right or wrong
    you sure you didn't get mixed up with the coca plant.
    no, it was definitely the teacher who made that mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

murpho999 wrote: »
    This is just wrong on many levels.

Here is what Met Eireann (who should know!) say.

Source- Met Eireann Website

So November is in Autumn now? :confused: The Equinox marks the middle of the season which means that Summer if May June July which means Spring is February, March, and April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Condoms cause AIDS...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

joeperry wrote: »
    That Irelands flag was green white and gold.

I had heard of this before, but I thought it was an urban myth! but if its true, why 'Gold' (instead of Orange)? gold meaning wealth maybe?
    Even a primary school teacher should know the colours of the Irish flag, and what they represent.

Quazzie wrote: »
    So November is in Autumn now? :confused: The Equinox marks the middle of the season which means that Summer if May June July which means Spring is February, March, and April.

That's exactly it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

LordSutch wrote: »
    I had heard of this before, but I thought it was an urban myth! but if its true, why 'Gold' (instead of Orange)? gold meaning wealth maybe?
    Even a primary school teacher should know the colours of the Irish flag, and what they represent.

Lots say it

On Matt Cooper on Today FM there was a row over it one evening with people texting in that it was gold

I think it's just easier to say green white and gold
    Trips off the tongue easily and that's why people do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

That Holy Water was actually holy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

A bizarre line in the start of my Science text-book -
    "Science can be said to be the study of God's creation"

Qué?

Whatever your opinion on religion - sticking it brazenly in a JC science book is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭SeanW

That everyone hates Jews ...

Yes, I was "taught" this is 3rd class in primary school. Fortunately I have parents that know the difference between right and wrong and this little nugget of misinformation was corrected fairly sharp-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

LordSutch wrote: »

the irish flag used to have a gold harp on it. when it was taken off it was known as green, white and gold. the "orange" instead of "gold" is only fairly recent teaching - it was always thought as green white and gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dave_

Our GEOGRAPHY teacher drew a diagram on the whiteboard one day with Ireland on the right and UK on the left.

she also taught us that, when Christopher Collumbus discovered America, that he bought spices, gold and electricity with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The old chestnut in History class - America was named after Amerigo Vespucci

Nope - QI has spoken - it was Richard Ameryk.
    QI IS NEVER WRONG!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

the irish flag used to have a gold harp on it.

That's the Leinster flag I think

The good people of Munster would not be happy to live under this flag :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

I used to think santa was real. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

There's still an ongoing argument with my Business teacher over exchange rates.
    I'll attach the offending question if anyone cares :D
    shur throw it up there, let AH decide who's right or wrong

Fair enough.

oryIS.jpg

Ok, so her version is foreign to euro = bank buys rate - this is correct.

However, iffff dear Holly walked into her bank with the resulting 75 and five-ninths of a euro, she wouldn't get out 68£ to buy the wonderful contraption.

So I say it's an equation.

x = euros holly needs to get £68 from bank

So it's actually euros to foreign - where we know the exchange rate and the result.

0.85x = 68

x = 68 ÷ 0.85

x = 80

And they say students need to think outside of the box more... :D

I remember my French teacher teaching us the past participle. And I remember everyone being confused because we had no idea what this was as we hadn't been taught it in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

that in German you could shorten Es tut mir leid to es tut mir...

laughs ensued while trying to speak with my German ladies family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Louche Lad wrote: »
    According to Wkipedia, the accent on the 'o' in Πυθαγόρας indicates the 'o' is stressed.

Depends if it's Modern or Ancient Greek, no? Modern Greek has stress accents but Ancient Greek's were pitch accents... I honestly don't know. If it is stressed in Greek, it's weird that the "a" became stressed in several other languages!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

the irish flag used to have a gold harp on it. when it was taken off it was known as green, white and gold. the "orange" instead of "gold" is only fairly recent teaching - it was always thought as green white and gold.

It's actually green, white and orange, so teaching it as green, white and gold was just plain wrong.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    That's the Leinster flag I think

The good people of Munster would not be happy to live under this flag :(

LOL, no, the Irish flag had a gold harp on it too

Pherekydes wrote: »
    It's actually green, white and orange, so teaching it as green, white and gold was just plain wrong.

no, it was green white and gold before it was orange... take it or leave it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

no, it was green white and gold before it was orange... take it or leave it. :)

No, it wasn't. Google up the history of the Irish Tricolour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

face1990 wrote: »

My maths teacher said that in Greece 'pythagoras' is pronounced 'pie-tha-GORE-ass'. Always wondered if he was right. Anyone know?

Closer than the average English pronunciation. Pee -tha-GHORE-ass is the closest I think (GH as in soft g (doesn't really exist in English))

Advertisement