Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most incorrect thing you were taught?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

ocallagh wrote: »
    They didn't fish during the famine because fishing rods hadn't been invented.
    Which brings me neatly to something that was in my first year history book called something like Ireland in the Middle Ages that stated that the staple diet of the Irish people in Norman Ireland was the potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The food pyramid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Untrue. I am dyslexic myself. When I was learning cursive I could do it no problem but it never helped with my spelling at all, more so confused my spelling! !!!
    Learning support teacher,have 25 years experience and the research of Brendan Culligan to back me up!!I should have said most children with dyslexia. It is also important to recognise that dyslexia is a very broad spectrum, but the multisensory approach has been proven to be vital for people with dyslexia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

In 3rd class I explained to my teacher about evolution. Something along the lines of 'my cousin said that we all descended from apes'.
    I was lambasted and made to stand face against the wall. Teacher explained to class that this was completely untrue.

On another day I was screamed at for blowing my nose with the tissue from the bathroom as apparently that was for one thing only.
    Irish school-days of yore - sometimes frightening.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Wossack wrote: »
    that a vomitorium is a room where glutonious Romans went to throw up, so they could eat more
    That's a good one actually and to the best of my knowledge its still been taught on the Junior Cert syllabus as fact.
    Its not? I learned that in 2nd/3rd year and I'm only in 6th year now, wow thats weird if its wrong. I always liked that fact. :(

I just remembered all the things my dad used to tell me :rolleyes: "Theres cows' toenails in jellies" when really he meant gelatine. He told me I could eat them if I wanted but it was my own fault if I got Mad Cow Disease - when I was 10 I woke up with a headache genuinely thinking I'd gotten it :(

He used to have such silly things, he denies that he ever said them but I remember :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Pherekydes wrote: »
    My son came home from school determined to catch his old Da out:

Him: Dad, which metal is the best conductor?
    Me: Silver
    Him: Wrong, it's copper.
    Me: Who told you that? :eek:
    Him: Our science teacher (and she couldn't possibly be wrong about this ****)
    Me: She's wrong!
    I could swear I was told gold was the best, could be wrong though.

Edit: Quick wiki does indeed say silver

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

nicowa wrote: »
    "A natural satellite or moon is a celestial body that orbits a planet or smaller body, which is called its primary."

Pluto isn't a planet due to it's core, not it's size.

From UniverseToday.com
    Is Pluto a planet? Does it qualify? For an object to be a planet, it needs to meet these three requirements defined by the IAU:

* It needs to be in orbit around the Sun – Yes, so maybe Pluto is a planet.
    * It needs to have enough gravity to pull itself into a spherical shape – Pluto…check
    * It needs to have “cleared the neighborhood” of its orbit – Uh oh. Here’s the rule breaker. According to this, Pluto is not a planet.

What does “cleared its neighborhood” mean? As planets form, they become the dominant gravitational body in their orbit in the Solar System. As they interact with other, smaller objects, they either consume them, or sling them away with their gravity. Pluto is only 0.07 times the mass of the other objects in its orbit. The Earth, in comparison, has 1.7 million times the mass of the other objects in its orbit.

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

I also had an English teacher who thought hyperbole was pronounced hyper-bowl.

Had a french substitute who never heard of accent grave (`) and accent aigu (´) and insisted they were both just called an accent (dunno how she distinguished between the two).

Had an Irish teacher who (in 5th/6th year) wouldn't tell you how any word was actually pronounced. You'd take a stab in the dark, and she'd tell you to continue, even though I know for sure I was butchering the language.

My maths teacher said that in Greece 'pythagoras' is pronounced 'pie-tha-GORE-ass'. Always wondered if he was right. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

face1990 wrote: »

My maths teacher said that in Greece 'pythagoras' is pronounced 'pie-tha-GORE-ass'. Always wondered if he was right. Anyone know?

Don't think so - dictionary says "paɪˈθæɡərəs" which would be something like "pie-THAG-uruss" and the emphasis is on the "a" in Spanish too ("Pitágoras").

There is an accent on the "o" in the Greek, but I don't speak/read Greek so I don't know if that's emphasis or not (but it might be where your teacher got it from).

*Phonetics, translation AND maths in one post. Contender for nerdiest post ever? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

alproctor wrote: »
    From UniverseToday.com

Here

Sorry I must have read whatever I was reading wrong. But I was mostly saying that pluto wouldn't be a moon simply because it's smaller than a moon of another planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Going to the remedial class would mean I was stupid. :(
    I didn't find out until much later I was dyslexic but teachers and parents usually said I wasn't trying hard enough, ayeayeaye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Gbear wrote: »
    The food pyramid.

A carboholics best friend. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

rain on wrote: »
    Had a substitute teacher in fourth class who insisted that Ireland's smallest bird was the wren and not the goldcrest. I was a total bird nerd as a child and was disgusted at this blatant display of ignorance. It still annoys me now :mad: goldcrests are feckin TINY!

Huh? I thought it was the wren!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

efb wrote: »
    That's because you weren't a childhood bird nerd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Its not? I learned that in 2nd/3rd year and I'm only in 6th year now, wow thats weird if its wrong. I always liked that fact. :(

I just remembered all the things my dad used to tell me :rolleyes: "Theres cows' toenails in jellies" when really he meant gelatine. He told me I could eat them if I wanted but it was my own fault if I got Mad Cow Disease - when I was 10 I woke up with a headache genuinely thinking I'd gotten it :(

He used to have such silly things, he denies that he ever said them but I remember :P

Fraud so :(

Your story reminded me of another: staying the night in my friends house when I was pretty young. We were going to play Nintendo all night so we set up camp in the front room with our sleeping bags.
    Cue my friends dad coming in before he went to bed to warn us to keep a window open all night or the pilot light for the central heating (in the fireplace) would use up all the oxegen in the room and he didn't want to come down in the morning and find 2 dead kids..

Had a great night sleep that night..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Well it does use up oxygen, for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'd a teacher who used to correct the correct pronunciation of "Thames" as "the river thay-mez"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

saa wrote: »
    Going to the remedial class would mean I was stupid. :(
    I didn't find out until much later I was dyslexic but teachers and parents usually said I wasn't trying hard enough, ayeayeaye.
    Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

We were told that Henry Ford invented the car...

efb wrote: »
    Huge row at a local quiz one year, pre mobile internet.:D:D:D

• Advertisement

rain on wrote: »
    That's because you weren't a childhood bird nerd.

Was never big into birds- still not ;-)

The Irish education system is the best in the world... Brainwashed in St Pats much...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

corktina wrote: »
    Is that you Stephen Fry?

I wish!

I may have heard that fact on Q.I though. I've always known there were lots of "exceptions," but I'm sure I only found out recently that they outnumber the words that agree with the "rule."
    Africa wrote: »
    That poetry written many years ago contains relevant and modern themes. BS.

Yeah, what did Shakespeare know about the human condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

My English teacher pronounces 'writhing' with a short 'i', as in 'rid'. She said it a few times while reading this poem, and when another student pronounced the i as in 'ripe', she stopped her and was all, 'WHAT did you say? lol you're wrong!'

Someone please agree that it's 'wriiiiiiithing'!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AlcatrazLogan

_LilyRose_ wrote: »
    Someone please agree that it's 'wriiiiiiithing'!!

That's how I've always pronounced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Wossack wrote: »
    Fraud so :(
    Freud so, or 'Fraid so?

The famed vomitorium does indeed refer to "spewing out", but its in reference to a tunnel and entrance under a stadium, so that the crowds or actors can rapidly enter/leave the stadium.

I'd imagine the only reason its still being taught is because the schools still have the old books for economic reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

That "'I before 'e' except after 'c'" is a rule.

There are more words that break it than there are that conform to it.

Another QI viewer.

Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Don't think so - dictionary says "paɪˈθæɡərəs" which would be something like "pie-THAG-uruss" and the emphasis is on the "a" in Spanish too ("Pitágoras").

There is an accent on the "o" in the Greek, but I don't speak/read Greek so I don't know if that's emphasis or not (but it might be where your teacher got it from).

*Phonetics, translation AND maths in one post. Contender for nerdiest post ever? :P

According to Wkipedia, the accent on the 'o' in Πυθαγόρας indicates the 'o' is stressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Jinny Joe Jinny Joe bring me back an easter egg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Jernal wrote: »

Being a huge Space enthusiast these were criminal for me. So much so that my teacher told my parents that I had an obsession with Venus.

At least it wasn't an obsession with Uranus :)

Some stuff that I remembered while reading this thread:

An English teacher insisted on the book being called Withering Heights - because, you know, there's no such word as Wuthering. I think it was the same teacher who insisted the book was called Far From The Maddening Crowd.

Being told that if you swallowed an apple pip that an apple tree would grow in your stomach and eventually out of your mouth.

That a paragraph had to be at least three sentences long.

Teacher that pronounced "wind" (as in "a strong gust of wind") to rhyme with mind when reading poetry.

We were writing an essay in class and I wanted to talk about somebody with dingy clothes but I wasn't sure how to spell "dingy" so I asked the teacher. I was told there was no such word and to just use the word dirty instead.

A previous poster mentioned this already but I was also taught that birds weren't animals. When listing animals only mammals were accepted.

Not really incorrectly things taught, but a few things that bugged me about school also: we had a choir class in primary school. I couldn't sing for shit so she told me to just mouth the words. I would have thought that the point of school was to teach a subject (ie singing) rather than just allowing those that already knew how to do it to participate.

We were being taught about animals that were cold blooded and warm blooded. Humans, cats, dogs, etc were warm blooded; lizards, frogs, etc were cold blooded. I put up my hand and asked what birds were. My teacher replied sarcastically: "creatures with feathers that fly, har, har", cue a laugh from the class and I was mortified. I thought it was a legitimate question and he never answered it.

I resent the fact that teachers only taught us what interested them. It was only in much later years that I realised that the ciriculums were much broader than we'd been taught, but teacher stuck to one subject on the basis that a question in the exam on that subject was guaranteed to come up. So while we learnt about Bismarck and Garibaldi which bored me, we could have learnt about medievel history which I've grown to learn about and love since leaving school.

Also, being taught things by rote but never actually learning the reasons behind them. So I could solve differential equations but to this day I don't understand at all what their application is about. School was so much about passing an exam than actually imparting interesting knowledge.

Advertisement