Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most incorrect thing you were taught?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

That pluto was a planet!

I was just remembering back to years ago, and the terrible information we were taught in school, and the gob****es that believed the nonsense.

In National school someone asked about Imperial measurements. The response? A pint is exactly 500ml. A mile is half a kilometer, and a furlong was the length of a horse. Dafuq.

In more recent years we have been taught that there is no such thing as an atheist, and the abuse in the Church is less than it was made out to be.

So tell me AH'ers, did ye have any similar experiences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Rattlesnakes aren't are not venomness that they are like a boa and squeeze the air out of you.

I also asked why if at the top of mountains its closer to the sun why is it cold and covered in snow.

I was told to get the globe and bring it up to her and when i did she told me to run my fingers over the bumps that showed mountains, so I did.

She then said "so you see there isn't really that much of a difference"

That was it on the matter. No more info and it left poor wee me very confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

I did 17 years of school and university combined in India, and I honestly can't think of a single instance where teachers messed up.

We once had a trainee teacher, who demonstrated solving a math question, and after filling the board, she couldn't get to LHS = RHS, and soon she figured out she had made a wrong assumption right at the top. No one else had noticed it either, so she explained the mistake and redid it correctly. And oh yeah, Software Programming was a new course at the University, and the professor (he was new to programming himself, used to teach Physics) gave us some sample code for generating Fibonacci series or something like that, and at least some of us noticed that it would go into an infinite loop, it was a simple > instead of < issue. That's all really.

PS: We were taught a version of Indian map, with all of Jammu & Kashmir and Leh all within India, which is hugely inaccurate when you look at the actually who is in charge of those areas - so yeah, taught wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I was taught that there are 52 states in America. I corrected the teacher and he screamed at me for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

We were told if we didn't do well in our exams, We could end up sweeping the streets.In hindsight its not the worst paid or hard job one can do :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I had a pig ignorant student teacher in 6th year (normally we took it handy on them, as they usually looked like they were about to wet themselves).

She had us for religion (alarm bells) and we somehow wound up discussing the Dublin bombings of 1974. She insisted it was the IRA that planted them, despite me asking what their motivation could be and saying that, while no one has ever been charged for it, it was most likely British Intelligence to blame.

My class backed me up, but that jumped up little trollop made some kind of "ooh you wouldn't know, being so young" comment (her being approx 23 at the time :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Taught by the nuns in school -

Hanging around with boys will get you pregnant
    Sitting on a boys lap will get you pregnant
    Holding hands with a boy will get you pregnant

I've done all those things and no babies yet.

your not doing it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

That I'd go blind if I didn't stop playing with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

when I was younger my uncle use to tell me that if I didn't eat the crust off my bread/toast my hair wouldn't grow :(

Always wanted long locks has a young girl so each time my mam bought a loaf of bread, when she wasn't looking or around I would take all the slices out and take the crust off them and eat them..
    morning,lunch dinner I would always ask for a sandwich (just for the crust)... After about a full year of doing this my mam FINALLY discovers I was only eating the crust. she laughed for about a week when I told her why and informed nearly every person I know :/

till this day people still laugh at me over it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

In my primary school you could take extra classes in French after school to prepare you for secondary entrance exams. It cost money and was just a scam for the teachers to make a few extra quid. They didn't know any French.

One guy, when asked the French for computer, woudln't admit that he didn't know, and said that because computers were such new inventions (in about 1985) the French hadn't come up with their own word for them yet, so they just said computer in a French accent: Compute-air

Another bimbo was teaching us to count past seventy and insisted that 71 was soixante dix et un, 72 was soixante dix et deux, and that the dictionary which said otherwise was wrong.

Actually the first one and the second one ended up getting married, and, presumably, doing the soixante-neuf together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

2 stroke wrote: »
    your not doing it right.

Ah I think I'm doing ok, no complaints so far :p Although I have moved on to men rather that boys, maybe thats the problem I should go back to boys :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭sbEdge

We had a right dope teaching us Woodwork and Construction Studies. Throughout our 6 years of secondary school he told us some stuff that was completely wrong.

Paper has no thickness.

Condensation on the inside of a window is actually rainwater coming through the glass.

And the best one of all; He was telling us how a mixture of different metals is called an alloy, he added, that's why the British and American troops in World War 2 were called the Alloys.

What a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Maybe he was just teaching a shop class full of gullible dum-dums fake facts for his own amusement.

That's what I would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Carrots are good for your eyesight... The reality was that RAF pilots during the Battle of Britain were given larger rations of carrots because there were short supplies on most other food and their high kill ratio was not due to their improved eyesight with eating so many carrots but because there was a vast network of radar stations on the south coast of England which alerted them exactly where the Luftwaffe was flying in from.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

El Siglo wrote: »
    Carrots are good for your eyesight... The reality was that RAF pilots during the Battle of Britain were given larger rations of carrots because there were short supplies on most other food and their high kill ratio was not due to their improved eyesight with eating so many carrots but because there was a vast network of radar stations on the south coast of England which alerted them exactly where the Luftwaffe was flying in from.

Yeah but did ya ever see a rabbit wearing glasses?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

El Siglo wrote: »

Isn't the beta-carotene in carrots good for your eyes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

That Irelands flag was green white and gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

years ago when I was an alter boy the priest used to let us drink the Jesus juice after mass and he'd wrestle us , and he said that there was a new wrestling move called the hidden sausage but I looked it up and ..... aw the dirty fu..........

Haha, fits in with your username too, he was an alter boy.
    Them priests are cocksuckers!
    Bruce7 wrote: »
    In my primary school you could take extra classes in French after school to prepare you for secondary entrance exams. It cost money and was just a scam for the teachers to make a few extra quid. They didn't know any French.

Entrance exams in French? oh la la, what kind of posh secondary school did you go to? ;)
    joeperry wrote: »

Unfortunately, it seems some idiots still believe this, even so-called "journalists"
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tricolour-is-finally-raised-two-famous-patriots-3074596.html

I corrected a teacher in 1st year on the meaning of chemist, he thought it was the same thing as pharmacist. I was being a bit pedantic alright. His reaction was priceless - "Look Dan, that's what the word meant when I was growing up, alright" then he proceeded to mumble inaudibly and glance sneeringly in my direction for about 30 seconds while walking in circles around his desk.

I had to tell another teacher there was no dot on a capital i. He wasn't an English teacher, in fairness to him.

We had a science and biology teacher who used to start classes with a prayer. This was in the late 90's and early 00's.

Best one was a christian brother who told us the virgin Mary appears every Friday at a certain specified time on the dot in some country in the former Yugoslavia. When I asked him why television cameras don't go there, he said "oh sure everyone is so used to it now, they don't bother going. Just a few locals go there every week to talk to her". He was a very nice fella but obviously deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

dolanbaker wrote: »
    That Pluto was a Planet!
    Pluto is a planet dammit, I refuse to believe otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

This pisses me off no end! My kids are still being told this in school - I told the older one to go in and tell her teacher she was wrong, and there was three or four other kids whose parents told them the same thing!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

In Ag college a lecturer tried to convince us that 10 acres was enough land for 100 ewes:o

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

blue5000 wrote: »
    In Ag college a lecturer tried to convince us that 10 acres was enough land for 100 ewes:o

Yea eh, what a madman...

Pluto is a planet dammit, I refuse to believe otherwise

Pluto is 2300km wide, smaller than the Four Galiliean moons of Jupiter....
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Skid wrote: »
    I had a National School teacher who couldn't add up fractions properly.

She insisted 2 1/2 + 2 1/2 was 4 1/2.
    2 halves + 2 halves is 4 halves. She was right after all. Yay.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

There's a teacher in my school- geography and English- who pronounces 'tsunami' like 'tu-sami'. No word of a lie. Students have said it to her, but she just tells them they're wrong.

_LilyRose_ wrote: »
    There's a teacher in my school- geography and English- who pronounces 'tsunami' like 'tu-sami'. No word of a lie. Students have said it to her, but she just tells them they're wrong.

Blast her with piss.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Plunket College in Dublin.

How did she get away with that? I mean, as a history teacher?! That's pretty mad...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

That's a very good one. Every year we were told to make Paddy's Day cards with green, white and yellow paper. I mean, the orange is quite fundamental to our recent history, no? How the fcuk can a teacher get that wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

When I was six my parents were called in by my teacher because I told her in front of the class she was a liar. We were doing nursery rhymes and she was teaching us Hey diddle diddle the cat and the fiddle. When she finished telling us I told her she was a liar as its impossible for cow's to jump over the moon. My parents told her they would talk to me but that in fairness I was right.

Advertisement