Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If someone is going to buy a house in D15 they're going to visit the area and make sure they're fully informed of a lot of things in the area, including how safe it is or how likely they are to suffer injury or loss at the hands of criminals. They're going to do this no matter where they decide to move to, and it's not as if this thread is going to be the sole source of information for D15. The info is already there on the internet if someone is looking for it.

In my view the only issue regarding this specific thread is that D15 is the only postcode in Dublin with its own forum. If every other postcode had its own forum you can be sure there'd be similar threads in them too. This thread is an honest assessment of the area imo. It's not a warzone by any means, but at the same time it's obvious that the crime rate is higher than Killiney or Clontarf, for example. I don't need stats to tell me that, the number of nights each week the Garda helicopter lies near where I live is enough. That said, I've never felt unsafe in the time I've lived here.

Ultimately I don't believe this thread is really for people looking to move to the area, it's for those already here so that they can share information and advice so that others don't become victims of crime themselves. In that regard I think it serves a useful purpose and I can't see any reason why it needs to be closed. If it is to be closed it should be because it's run its course, not to preserve property values. Even deleting the thread won't make much difference anyway as it's already in the Google cache.

Mod bit: So as it's remaining open for the time being, please stay on-topic so that we don't have to start infracting or banning people needlessly. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Crime is everywhere, and D15 is the largest post code for Dublin with ~almost 300.000 people, It is larger than my home city, and I'm not surprised by number of entries on the thread. I find it very useful to make people aware of the problem, and I'm glad, I live in a community, who is advising other people about the problem.

I'd be even more glad and happy if people who were robbed wrote how it happened. ( just a quick note here - i read message from mod about snipping these details and I don't agree - Thieves already know how to do it, and if not, they colleagues will tell them, not boards. Ordinary people think they are safe , and if they got some examples, they could start looking more after their households.

I didn't think it was so easy to force front door with a xxxx, if lock is not locked, - This made me aware to lock door always, even if i drive to the local shop.

I'd be happy to get more examples to know what exactly should i improve to make access more difficult.

Last year I did a test. I never stole something etc, so I acted as unexperienced thief to my own house. - I had standard sliding door that are now upgraded and much more secure.

These sliding door had only one hook beside lock.

with 2 different sizes of metal bars it took me just over a minute to open them without making noise and without using hammer. ( these sliding door were about 10 years old.....

Would you expect it was so easy??

and short useful information at the end

I wrote a post before about setting up remote cameras at the entrances to the estates, started digging idea, and decided to buy 2 external IP Cameras that are at the front and back of house.
    They are small , almost invisible from distance, and are set to cover my back and front garden only. They don't work all the time, they have motion detector, and if activated, they send me a number of pictures onto my private ( smartphone) and work email. I can then login onto the manufacturer website, and from both PC and smartphone and have a quick look at live video ( activated from website), zoom camera, and rotate it as well - all is done from the special website. All I need to do this is to enter my username and password. ( and of course WIFI at home is needed)

These cameras cost something between 40 - 80 punds each from amazon.

CAMERA

41UqDQQLNwL._AA300_.jpg

I know that cameras won't prevent break in, and every place including bank safe can be burgled, but there is a chance, that scumbags will be recorded, and when pictures are shown to garda, they can recognize who did it.

Now I know what time I get post, and who is knocking my door when I'm away.
    I guess people who want to enter and check if door is open, or have bad intention step back when they see camera pointing at them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Theres word around about a gang robbing houses in blanch area, and there using devices that disable the eircom phone watch signals and similar alarm systems, so the alarm will go off but the gards or w.e dont get the phonecall.

Could be total BS as with alot of stories(not the device part, i assume alot know about them at this stage, but the whole gang around blanch area could just be scaremongering)
    but no harm in being wary :)
    Care to back up the above statement with some verifiable sources?????

The above post shows exactly why this thread needs to be closed.

He is referring to GSM jammers. They are freely available online.
    They block signals from GSM alarm diallers. Something I'm sure Eircom are aware of, as every other security company has been warned about.
    Most company's now steer clear of GSM as a reliable form of monitoring, but Eircom still encourage & use this system.

Some info in this article. Its old but accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

KoolKid wrote: »
    They block signals from GSM alarm diallers. Something I'm sure Eircom are aware of, as every other security company has been warned about.
    Most company's now steer clear of GSM as a reliable form of monitoring, but Eircom still encourage & use this system.

So not something specific to D15....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

KoolKid wrote: »

So not something specific to D15....

Yes but spreading information about burglaries countrywide would be like Blanchardstown setting up a neighbourhood watch scheme with Mullingar.

Can you please just drop it, it's been dealt with now by mods and admins, and you're much more likely to just get banned for trolling than getting this thread locked (which I suspect is your new motivation). I don't mean to backseat mod but FFS like...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

leggo wrote: »
    Yes but spreading information about burglaries countrywide would be like Blanchardstown setting up a neighbourhood watch scheme with Mullingar.

Can you please just drop it, it's been dealt with now by mods and admins, and you're much more likely to just get banned for trolling than getting this thread locked (which I suspect is your new motivation). I don't mean to backseat mod but FFS like...

Dude can you desist telling peole to "drop it". Earlier on this eve you took it upon yourself to say the same to me. It's really annoying and frankly you have no authority over me.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK folks, please play nicely before I have to get the cards out. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Anyone I've talked to regardless of where they live in the country, or in Dublin, or D.15 in an apartment or on a farm say there's been a massive increase in burglaries all over. Doesn't matter if you live on a remote lane in the country, or in a big estate.

If theres a rise in D.15 perhaps it suggests a local group who are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭jonathan13

horse7 wrote: »
    Maybe you could explain to us what happened?im sure it was horrible.

Not too much details..

Once upon a time there were a family of three living for 3years in d7 phibsboro. In a gated apartment with secured parking.
    Low and behold, here comes the burglars living beside my apartment. They are not even paying for their rent. All the burglaries went up high on the said area since they started living there. Then me and the wifey decided to move to a safer place cause we are not safe anymore and for my daughter. But we are too late.....they took everything! garda came after 1hr. then after a week, the next apartment was done as well. They simply have a very good informant from the inside.

If you may, please add-up security of the double glazed window, how easy it is to open such window with just the use of one screwdriver without noise.
    And its not always the white van, they really have nice cars, some are tinted. I back up this statements of mine being the victim.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

jonathan13 wrote: »
    Not too much details..

Once upon a time there were a family of three living for 3years in d7 phibsboro. In a gated apartment with secured parking.
    Low and behold, here comes the burglars living beside my apartment. They are not even paying for their rent. All the burglaries went up high on the said area since they started living there. Then me and the wifey decided to move to a safer place cause we are not safe anymore and for my daughter. But we are too late.....they took everything! garda came after 1hr. then after a week, the next apartment was done as well. They simply have a very good informant from the inside.

If you may, please add-up security of the double glazed window, how easy it is to open such window with just the use of one screwdriver without noise.
    And its not always the white van, they really have nice cars, some are tinted. I back up this statements of mine being the victim.

I am sorry you (and your wife & child) have been a victim of crime.

So just to clarify, this happened a year ago when you were living in Phibsboro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

I guess you could rename the thread to "Neighbourhood Watch Dublin 15" as opposed to "D15 Burglaries on the rise" Just an idea.

I personally like the thread as it just keeps me aware and up to date on local crime issues.

There seems to be multiple burglaries each night in the area that are not reported any where else except boards.ie. Are there local statistics available, I have found the CSO figures quite vague

http://www.cso.ie/Quicktables/GetQuickTables.aspx?FileName=cja01c12.asp&TableName=Burglary+and+related+offences&StatisticalProduct=DB_CJ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

amdublin wrote: »

I am going to hazard a guess at what amdublin is going to say next...:) for only about the twentieth time in this thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I guess you could rename the thread to "Neighbourhood Watch Dublin 15" as opposed to "D15 Burglaries on the rise" Just an idea.

There is one of those already.....

I am sorry you (and your wife & child) have been a victim of crime.

Yes, and they all moved to D15 after finishing all targets at D7 and other parts of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Yes, and they all moved to D15 after finishing all targets at D7 and other parts of Ireland.

What a ridiculous statement to make :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Gaspode wrote: »

Might be time to merge them so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Oh yes, best tell my mother who had her house done in D7 not so long ago :rolleyes:

Ridiculous statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's funny that the same people complaining about the content of this thread have spent the entire weekend filling it up with pointless drivel that nobody else is interested in.

one or two people decided that they didn't like the thread, but got pretty much zero support for their views. mod decisions have been made (repeatedly) so lets just please move on.

if you don't like the direction the thread is going then that's fine, but that doesn't mean you automatically have the right to ruin it for everyone else.

plenty of people like the thread as it is, as has already been shown by the 'thanks' support in relation to posts opposing your views (not to mention the lack of 'thanks' for your own posts), so feel free to stick your fingers in your ears and pretend that everything is fine and burglaries don't exist, but wishing it isn't going to make it so.

you seem to think that your possible future ability to get top dollar for your house IF you ever decide to sell it and move on is more important than your fellow current D15 residents having the latest information on burglaries in the area, but it's already been shown that this is not a view shared by the vast majority of posters here.

your views are very much in the minority, please stop trying to derail the thread for everyone else. if you feel that strongly about it then go and start your own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Question

Did anyone pick up the Evening Herald Yesterday? Headline was Summit along the lines of "Burglaries epidemic sweeps Dublin.
    In the piece it mentioned gangs were calling to houses to see if anyone was at home. So i am assuming its under the guise of offering a service.
    So on that basis as someone who does not answer the door when im not expecting anyone, Should I be answering my door if there is a knock? Lol I mean by not answering the door do your chances of being robbed go up as the Thiefs ASSUME your never home? And thus you become a high priority target for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You can look out the window and be seen and still not answer the door.

I wonder if everyone had a CCTV on the door would it deter these callers. You could build up a record of the callers vs when burglaries happen in the area. Hand it over to the police who then can build up a pattern.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

Question

Did anyone pick up the Evening Herald Yesterday? Headline was Summit along the lines of "Burglaries epidemic sweeps Dublin.
    In the piece it mentioned gangs were calling to houses to see if anyone was at home. So i am assuming its under the guise of offering a service.
    So on that basis as someone who does not answer the door when im not expecting anyone, Should I be answering my door if there is a knock? Lol I mean by not answering the door do your chances of being robbed go up as the Thiefs ASSUME your never home? And thus you become a high priority target for them

Here it is

http://www.herald.ie/news/vigilante-groups-join-forces-to-beat-the-burglars-as-raids-rocket-3074765.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

"Gardai in Lucan in West Dublin were forced to call in extra officers to deal with 16 separate burglary calls over a two-week period."

No mention of D15 in the article, our house prices will rocket!

Question

yup, here's the front page headline.

199816.jpg

personally, i'm very happy to be living somewhere that still has enough community spirit that we're actually doing something constructive about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

BostonB wrote: »
    You can look out the window and be seen and still not answer the door.

I wonder if everyone had a CCTV on the door would it deter these callers. You could build up a record of the callers vs when burglaries happen in the area. Hand it over to the police who then can build up a pattern.

One of the issue that we can face with the CCTV is that neighbours can take advantage of "my" private installed system,asking for footage recording if something going funny !
    How do you make the diference between 'that' child scratching the chap's car,can you bring evidence to one of the parents or in front of others,you coming as a third party !?? No way ...

Also,the CCTV will detter only if anyone trying funny things...i am advising investing massively in the PIR sensors around the house,front house and back garden.Once the night comes,the sensor will pick-up any strange move and turn on lights and, if too close to house (proximity range set) just set active the alarm/siren internal and external located,separated from built-in alarm system. I reckon the sensors does a better job than CCTV...

there's loads of cats around my way, i wonder if PIR sensors can be set so that something cat sized doesn't set them off?

i have 2 cats myself and we regularly get around half a dozen others walking around the garden wall, so a PIR sensor would end up being the controller for an external strobe light. :)

Vahevala wrote: »
    Oh yes, best tell my mother who had her house done in D7 not so long ago :rolleyes:

Ridiculous statement.

Then it reminds me of my neighbors living alone, mostly old lady who'm are always victimized. If okay with you please tell me the things that happened? I think they are just the same gang who did my apartment.

Oh! i thought they were very quiet for a while loads of them were arrested after the big time burglary of a certain building along North circular road. And almost every other month the post office. I got this reports after attending neighborhood watch meetings with the guards. But for sure burglars are back. So my observation, if their gang is too hot on a certain area they move to another area. That's me thinking that burglars moved to d15. But to suffice it all, its the whole of Ireland since we are in tough times for now.

p.s. - if there is a similar thread for D7, please redirect me over there, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

I like this thread.

If a few of us are getting wise to whats going on and transmit this to the bogus callers it may move them on.

Awareness may be the most effective deterrent!

vibe666 wrote: »

you seem to think that your possible future ability to get top dollar for your house IF you ever decide to sell it and move on is more important than your fellow current D15 residents having the latest information on burglaries in the area, but it's already been shown that this is not a view shared by the vast majority of posters here.

I've explicitly said I am not currently selling or planning to my house. It was simply one point I was making to try paint a picture.

I genuinely think thread has run it's course....
    Dub XV wrote: »
    I like this thread.

If a few of us are getting wise to whats going on and transmit this to the bogus callers it may move them on.

Awareness may be the most effective deterrent!

Like Jesus Christ do we really need a thread listing the daily burgularies to make us aware of home security???
    I've been following this thread for ages and you know what I GET IT we need to be security conscious at the moment and ensure that you keep your home as secure as possible. Plus CCTV is a great deterrent. Plus be careful about strangers calling

Etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Do we really need a constantly updated thread to remind us of this??? Will we all suddenly forget to be security conscious without this thread????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I genuinely think thread has run it's course....
    Etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.
    I GET IT

My thoughts exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I started this thread...the original title included a reference to the tweet as included in the OP.

I live in D15, I am nervous by nature. I have found this thread helpful in several ways, both for advice on precautions and the alerts on trends.

And so I appeal to the mods to leave the thread open. It is one of the most active threads on here, there is a reason for that. If it bothers any posters there is always the ignore option.

Advertisement