Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Merch wrote: »
    Sounds like she is onto them, cards are a total rip off, (although I feel obligated to get certain ones myself) even if she isn't stuck for a few quid, you should probably think yourself lucky she is thinking of you at all and sending you one, why do you need two cards for?? If your birthday coincides with easter?
    Best card I ever got was one someone made for me, out of stuff they had at hand.

Why does someone even feel obligated to get a card at easter??

Because they are separate occasions. As someone who has a Christmas birthday I totally understand having got one card/present to serve both occasions many times over the years. It wouldn't have happened if my birthday was in July.

'I've heard the phrase 'That's your Christmas present/card. It's also your birthday present' many times over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Easter isn't an occasion, ok so people send Xmas cards, Xmas is the same thing you say, Easter is to funerals what Xmas is to birthdays, Happy funeral! doesnt really have the same ring to it as Happy Birthday, I'm sure the Church go along with the Xmas card thing as it helps keep the adherents in the door, they probably never really planned for it to be hijacked by Santa and Hallmark :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Easter isn't an occasion, ok so people send Xmas cards, Xmas is the same thing you say, Easter is to funerals what Xmas is to birthdays, Happy funeral! doesnt really have the same ring to it as Happy Birthday, I'm sure the Church go along with the Xmas card thing as it helps keep the adherents in the door, they probably never really planned for it to be hijacked by Santa and Hallmark :)

I'd imagine the aunt in the post above was giving her niece/nephew a card with money instead of an Easter egg because she felt he/she was too old for an egg. superstoner90 is probably 21 or 22. I know that's what my relations used to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

Crikey. I haven't gotten Easter eggs from rellies since I was 12. Stingy fcks?! Lol. Mind you at the tender age of late twenties I still get a buttons egg off good ol granny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Happy funeral?!? Who would you say that to.. The corpse??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Nyan Cat wrote: »
    Crikey. I haven't gotten Easter eggs from rellies since I was 12. Stingy fcks?! Lol. Mind you at the tender age of late twenties I still get a buttons egg off good ol granny.

No age is too old for Easter eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Mind you at the tender age of late twenties I still get a buttons egg off good ol granny.

ahh Grannys are the best !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Happy funeral?!? Who would you say that to.. The corpse??

I mean its a religious festival of the death and rebirth of christ, Happy Easter, its about his funeral kinda, Im not that religious
    Whereas Xmas is about his birthday, hence happy birthday baby jesus

So dont know why people would send cards saying Happy Easter, maybe its about jesus ascending to heaven, I'll repent on my deathbed.

When people complain about what or how much they get from a person when that person is thinking about them, comes across a bit selfish, but thats just me,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

This year for my birthday my aunt is getting me an easter and a happy burthday card. To cover her for both easter and my birthday ffs.

I don't think I've ever seen an easter card, it makes sense they exist, theres a card for everything nowadays, still, who sends easter cards!?!?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

People being stingy with their cars annoy me.

Was moving house, asking around for help moving stuff, 3 friends in the house that night, all 3 with cards parked outside and not one of them would give me a hand. Was gonna pay for petrol.

My cousin's ex girlfriend took an hour off work, drove 15km in and helped me. one car load is all it took about 4 minutes down the road.

For every stinge, there someone who's worth their weight in gold.

Another one about stingey people with cars. 'Friend' arrive in for a visit, friend and housemate sitting there with cars outside and asked me if i'd cycle to the shop for them, was absolutely pissing rain outside.

Anyway, best thread ever! so funny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Blikes wrote: »

Was moving house, asking around for help moving stuff, 3 friends in the house that night, all 3 with cards parked outside and not one of them would give me a hand. Was gonna pay for petrol.

My cousin's ex girlfriend took an hour off work, drove 15km in and helped me. one car load is all it took about 4 minutes down the road.

Another one about stingey people with cars. 'Friend' arrive in for a visit, friend and housemate sitting there with cars outside and asked me if i'd cycle to the shop for them, was absolutely pissing rain outside.

Your "friends" are tossers of the highest order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

When I was a kid, the local shop sold these 5p lollies..fizzy cola and toffee.

If there was a number 7 on the inside of the wrapper, you could bring it back to the shop and get a free lolly. So similar to Charlie Bucket finding the golden ticket, to my delight I had a won a free lolly. Skipped back to the shop to claim my free one.

The miserable pr1ck that owned the shop held the free lolly up to the light so that he could see through the wrapper to make sure there wasn't going to be another number 7 on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Try tax, insure and test a car, whilst constantly being raped by the Government for putting petrol into it, before you call others stingey to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

'because its an English magazine' 'the free gifts are only available in England' you just reminded me of that stuff! I never understood why the gifts were supposedly only available there when I asked I was told it was a special treat for English readers and it'd cost too much to post them to Ireland.
    Thieving swine.

Like another, this brought back bad memories... I actually believed them! But then, I was a very naive youngster...
    Quazzie wrote: »
    Try tax, insure and test a car, whilst constantly being raped by the Government for putting petrol into it, before you call others stingey to be fair.

He did say that he would pay for petrol...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Macailz

Post #2921 from the same thread as before. The same guy talking about his dad
    Ok. So a couple years ago, I flew out to Denver for my cousin's wedding. I met up with my dad and stepmom Betty after arriving at the Denver airport because we were all staying together. On the way to the hotel, we stopped at a Walgreens and Dad comes out a minute later with this huge jug of water. I'm talking freakin' large. Like you'd need to check it through large. Don't ask me to specify the size because I don't know and it'll create a pointless, nitty derail. Suffice it to say that it would be one of my 3 things to have on a desert island. He gets in the car with it.
    "You're not going to believe it!"
    Before he says another word, I ask him, "How much?"
    He pauses for dramatic effect, smirking with delight at his soon to be revealed secret. "A buck! Can you believe it? For this much water!!?!"
    Betty and I had a good chuckle. My dad was seriously loving on this jug. One of the best purchases he'd ever made. When he put it in the back seat next to me, I'm surprised he didn't throw the seat belt on it. Or put it in a child seat for that matter.
    "Great find, dad." I tell him. And it was. We had plenty of water for the weekend in our hotel room.

Did the whole wedding thing, and then Sunday rolled around and it was time to go home. And that's when the fun started.

So we get to the airport to the car rental return. My dad asks me to pop open the trunk and get out the luggage while he takes care of the paperwork inside, and lo and behold, staring up at me, it's the jug. In all its glory. And still half full! Yes, as valiant of an attempt as the three of us had made to go to town on this bad boy all weekend, we'd only knocked out 50% of the behemoth. Well, ain't nothing getting wasted. Not on Papa DD's watch.

When he gets back from the counter, I ask him about it. I say to him, "Dad, I'm thinking they might not let you take that water. I'm pretty sure it's more than three ounces of liquid." (no ****)
    And he kept say, "Nah, nah, it'll be ok. It's fine."

We get on the shuttle, and here my dad is with a huge suitcase, backpack, fanny pack, and his precious half empty jug (of course, he sees it as half full). We get to the entrance of the airport, and I watch my dad, of whom I was the lucky trillion to one sperm of his to witness this scene, trying to walk and balance himself lugging his big ass suitcase in the left hand, and hefting his new best buddy, Mr. Water Jug, in the right. Fanny pack in front, back pack on the back, whatever life could possibly throw at this man at this moment, he was mother ****ing ready for it.

He refuses to check anything (obviously not a guy who's going to pay to check bags through.) so we head to security. I keep saying to him, "Dad, I really don't think they'll let you on with that." and he kept answering, "It's fine. It's all good."

Oh, I forgot to mention that it was Easter Sunday. Not joking. So the line is stupid long to get through security, and we were already cutting it closer than what was comfortable. Our flight was in about an hour. So we wait in this line for about 40 minutes, so we're starting to panic just a little about making our flight. And just a few feet ahead, is the TSA checking id's and tickets, and there's of course that garbage can there to throw out all bottles of water.

So we get up there, and immediately the agent says, "I'm sorry sir, but you can't bring that through." My dad looks at him blankly. "Are you sure?" "Yeah, I'm sure, sir. You're only allowed 3 ounces of liquid." My dad says, "It'll be fine, it's just water, and I'll drink it on the flight." I tell my dad, "Hey, we need to get on our flight. OK? Let's just go."

I am going to try my best to not exaggerate at all with what I say happened next, because the event that followed in its truth is funnier than anything I could make up. Stuck between a rock and a hard place, with a flight home in T minus 20 and a line of people a mile long behind him, this hero to the world puts down his suit case, pops the top off and starts chugging the **** out of this jug like it's the last thing he's doing before the asteroid hits.

People, I have seen few things in my life that were done with such pizazz. Such gusto. His whole body was involved in it. He had a super wide stance, and his left arm was sticking straight out as if to give himself some leverage. It's like his body realized it was being called upon to pull off a legendary feat. But my dad would be damned to let fifty cents worth of water go to waste. Not today. Not on his watch. That wasn't part of the deal, kemosabe.

People are starting to grumble in line behind us. One guy says, "we need to catch our flight." The agent says, "Sir, we need to keep the line moving." My dad acknowledges him, and therefore takes off his fanny pack as if to give himself that much more gut expansion potential, and resumes chugging. I also think it was a gesture of acknowledgment to the TSA that he was doing his best to hurry up. My stepmom says, "Bob, we really need to go!" She is thoroughly embarrassed. He is totally exasperated and choking on the water, but still drinking. He takes it away to catch his breath and stop choking and asks me all at once, "gmfhr...hunhnnk..,hey, you want some?" I could tell that this man desperately needed my help finishing off this wretched jug, but I was just totally shut off to what was happening. Better that than to actually cope with the impossible level of embarrassment that my stepmom was currently experiencing.
    "No, dad. I'm good. Let's go already. Please."

He nodded, and resumed chugging as if my plea to him wasn't to just throw away the jug, but to finish it off faster. He is really pushing to complete the task at hand, choking and snorting water, making ungodly noises. I say to him, "Dad, you're going to hurt yourself." He takes the jug away from his lips to catch another quick breath, and utters simply, "It's good for me!" before resuming the chug.

The whole thing probably only lasted 30 seconds, but if you can really imagine yourself in this situation, you will realize that 30 seconds easily felt like an eternity. At the end of the day, it was unfortunately not to be. There were maybe a good 20 ounces of water left that just would not go down. So we said goodbye to the jug and left it with the TSA agent (it was way too big to fit in the trash can) and made our flight. He was the most hydrated man I'd ever seen.

Of all of the stinginess (or whatever you want to call it) stories I have about my father, none illustrate more clearly to me his issue with things being wasted. I'm sure it absolutely ate him up inside that he couldn't finish off this jug, for a few reasons. One was the waste of the water (and therefore his money). Two was that, tied in with #1, what had made the jug such a sweet deal in the first place was that he'd gotten it for a buck, and so by not drinking the whole thing, it's like he didn't get to take full advantage of the offer. Three was the jug itself, which afterwards could've been used to store any number of future items (loose change, business cards, promotional pens from the CES). It was essentially like had he finished the water, he would've won a brand new piece of luggage. Four was the epic sense of accomplishment he would've felt had he finished it off. It would have been a story for the ages (it is for me, obviously) but one for him to regale to others at parties and other events, where he could proudly claim the day that he was put to the test to see just how much he loves a good deal and emerged victorious from his Walkabout of Value a man. A deal loving, water chugging man.

God, I ****ing love that guy.

This story along with the buffet story had me in stitches, literally bent over laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

/NotSureIfTrollingOrJustStupid.jpg

/NotSureIfTrollingOrJustStupid.jpg

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

:confused:

Everything except the petrol (which the poster is supposed to have offered, and even if he didn't who the flip wants money for an 8 min trip) would have to be paid if the car was used or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

psychward wrote: »
    I remember these gombeen shop owner penny pinching greasy till fumblers from my own childhood. Taking the free gift off of a comicbook and reselling it was a standard ploy. The reason given for the gift being missing was that ''it came all the way from England'' which never was a reasonable answer for anything.

One of these small shopkeepers would respond '' This is not a bank'' if we asked him for change for the amusement machine despite the fact we spent all our pocket money there on sweets. I guess these usually ancient gombeens were insecure in their small shops which they probably inherited as they didn't really have any skills apart from the highly developed art of being unpleasant. Now they've been mostly pushed out of the market by Londis/Spar/Centra etc

Anyone from the Northside in Cork will remember "Con the Robber", selling 10p lollipops for 12p. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Omackeral wrote: »
    I work in a prison.........

.........''Will we be searched on the way out?''
    I kid you not.

I laughed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

There aren't Happy Funeral cards but there are Mass Cards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

I think you've been pretty mean to accept that level of effort from your cousins ex. All you had to do is ring a taxi. I don't believe for second that you were planning to pay for petrol. Seeing that all of your car owning mates refused to help makes me suspicious.

Sorry but this is one occasion that I call YOU the stinge!!

axel rose wrote: »
    I think you've been pretty mean to accept that level of effort from your cousins ex. All you had to do is ring a taxi. I don't believe for second that you were planning to pay for petrol. Seeing that all of your car owning mates refused to help makes me suspicious.

I agree. A typical stingey attitude is one that thinks their friends should offer them stuff/services for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Omackeral wrote: »
    Then we were asked if there were any questions. This guy, straight faced as ya like, genuinely asks ''Will we be searched on the way out?''

I kid you not.

He probably couldn't stand the fact he might have to do a few dry runs with no loot, so he just had to ask straight out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I agree. A typical stingey attitude is one that thinks their friends should offer them stuff/services for free.

It's not as polarised as that. I think friends should do things for each other for free. As long as there's a back and forth and nobody is being taken advantage of. If I asked a favour of a friend and they expected renumeration to the penny or pound, I would see it as stingey. Some might say "Why should I lose out?" ... well, because we're friends and the friends I would like to have are those who are happy to do each other favours and not be obsessively measuring everything monetarily.

I agree though, there's something suspicious about nobody in the house offering a lift - we don't have the benefit of their side of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Moving stinge update:

Furthest thing from a stinge you could find, would and have given my last fiver to friends when they asked before.

Get on very well with her, told her repeatedly no it's grand, but she insisted. legend.

This wasn't going to be for free, offered to pay petrol or buy whoever helped a case of beer. but the three of them had no problem watching movie after movie on the eircom that i pay for on a playstation i own and eat food i bought without asking. No problem with this, i wouldn't begrudge someone a few snacks or bit of bandwidth but when i needed a hand, refusals all round!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

but the three of them had no problem watching movie after movie on the eircom that i pay for on a playstation i own and eat food i bought without asking. No problem with this, i wouldn't begrudge someone a few snacks or bit of bandwidth but when i needed a hand, refusals all round!

I have a similar situation. A housemate moved out and the UPC was in her name. She has gotten her own apartment and is taking it with her. Same account and equipment. I already have 2 other bills in my name in the house, which cause me no end of bother. The rest of them are in a huff now that I won't take UPC too. I have to go after them to get them to pay the other ones and have been stung for it a few times.

None of them want the responsibility. I am being selfish apparently. I couldn't give a ****. I have an o2 stick and will use that if I have to.

No word of a lie, I actually heard one of them loudly on her phone to a friend when she thought I was in another county, giving out about me and adding plenty to it, then asking if the friend knew if what I pick up with the o2 stick could be picked up by them on the sly somehow "getting in through his wireless yoke ".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Moving stinge update:

Furthest thing from a stinge you could find, would and have given my last fiver to friends when they asked before.

Get on very well with her, told her repeatedly no it's grand, but she insisted. legend.

This wasn't going to be for free, offered to pay petrol or buy whoever helped a case of beer. but the three of them had no problem watching movie after movie on the eircom that i pay for on a playstation i own and eat food i bought without asking. No problem with this, i wouldn't begrudge someone a few snacks or bit of bandwidth but when i needed a hand, refusals all round!

So there you go Blikes, they were just huffed at you for moving out taking all your gear and free meal tickets with you.

Thats gratitude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

My friend was sharing an apartment with two other girls. One of the girls let her boyfriend move in for six weeks and he didn't contribute anything to their bills. She went home for two weeks at Christmas and when the next ESB bill came in she tried to argue that she should pay less as she wasn't there for two weeks. My friend is very passive and never made a fuss about the boyfriend but thankfully she put her foot down about the ESB. Some people are unreal and would walk all over you if you let them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

my father used to turn off the car and roll down hills to save petrol ..... God the embarrasment! :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement