Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

Seriously, you must have a junior cert or something to study for or something. Your thinly veiled attacks at everything Munster or Kidney at every available opportunity is tedious and pathetic. Its like myself and [Jackass] have had some horrible Leinster supporting illegitimate child.

Ok rather than attacking me lets actually discuss my post.

Now firstly this is the Ireland team talk, I am entitled to talk about Kidney.

Secondly how am I 'attacking' Munster? I am posting legitimate opinions about players who deserve to be ahead of Munster players (its not my fault they're munster players)

Do you think DOC deserves to be ahead of Touhy?
    Do you think Reddan deserves to be behind Murray?
    Do you disagree that Madigan should be given a chance?
    Do you disagree that Henry is long overdue a shot?
    Do you not think Gilroy, considering his form for the last 2 seasons deserves to be ahead of Hurley and Zebo.

I don't think any of my opinions are crazy. The vast majority of people here think DOC shouldnt be in the squad. The vast majority think Reddan is the best Irish scrumhalf. Theres a strong element who think ROG is playing poorly and Madigan deserves a chance. Nearly everyone said Kidney was wrong to leave Gilroy out of the Irish wolfhounds. Lots of people clamoured for Henry to be given a shot.

Nothing I've said warrants those insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Get up the yard will you Captain; Ive been able to answer the same thing to all your posts lately;

There's always a but;

Anytime you have anything good to mention about Leinster; you temper it with a veiled criticism; Leinster great first half but disappointing in the second; Brad Thorn over "filling his pockets with wades of Leinster cash"; Brad Thron holding Devon Toner back yadayada etc

They say that we dislike most the people that remind us of ourselves. I think dougie is just like you except he supports Leinster. His opinion is as biased as yours imo.

Build a bridge and get over it;

Plus hes right in the post your replied to which makes it even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

In fairness to Murray that was his first game in 5 weeks. O'Gara on the other hand...

Honestly-and leaving all provincial bias aside-I think Kidney will should but won't leave ROG out of the summer tour.

Fixed now.

But seriously-what is ROG going to give Ireland? He's had a long hard season. I reckon Kidney will "rest " him and take Madigan.

That is NEVER going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Quint2010 wrote: »
    In fairness to Murray that was his first game in 5 weeks. O'Gara on the other hand...

Honestly-and leaving all provincial bias aside-I think Kidney will leave ROG out of the summer tour.

Not a hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

ROG would start a one man riot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

This is a real point. Plus the media would go into meltdown. It's almost a political decision.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

And that very fact is one of the strongest reasons (after his poor form) for dropping him. That kind of personality is toxic to a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

That is NEVER going to happen.

And anyway, why on earth would we drop someone who is playing above international standard?

....silly talk....

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Banbridgeman

I agree. If Kidney wants to lay down a marker and pick on form he must do the following:

Start Reddan ahead of Murray who has been poor.
    Put Marshall ahead of TOL and Murray as second choice
    Put Henry ahead of POM
    Put Gilroy ahead of Zebo and Hurley
    Put Madigan ahead of O'Gara as second choice OH
    Touhy and Toner should be ahead of O'Callaghan
    Bring Luke Fitzgerald back into the squad.

Play the Leinster way, the backline for NZ should be this
    9.Reddan 10.Sexton 11.Fitzgerald 12.D'arcy 13.O'Driscoll 14.Gilroy 15.Kearney

Seriously, you must have a junior cert or something to study for or something. Your thinly veiled attacks at everything Munster or Kidney at every available opportunity is tedious and pathetic. Its like myself and [Jackass] have had some horrible Leinster supporting illegitimate child.
    He may be biased (though no more so than you) but he's spot on in that post to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I agree. If Kidney wants to lay down a marker and pick on form he must do the following:

Start Reddan ahead of Murray who has been poor.
    Put Marshall ahead of TOL and Murray as second choice
    Put Henry ahead of POM
    Put Gilroy ahead of Zebo and Hurley
    Put Madigan ahead of O'Gara as second choice OH
    Touhy and Toner McCarthy should be ahead of O'Callaghan
    Bring Luke Fitzgerald back into the squad.

hey presto
    Id have Wallace ahead of D'arcy on current form aswell

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

Lads, selection discussion is pointless. Does anyone still believe that even if he picked a perfect form team, Kidney wouldn't just send them out to play rugby that doesn't suit those form players? The selection issues and what the selected players are being told to do on the pitch can't be looked at in isolation. Things aren't going to improve consistently until DK moves on.

That's assuming the IRFU appoint a successor that can bring the national side along the way Joe has.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

My team for the summer tour would be
    1. Healey
    2. Best
    3. Ross
    4. Touhy
    5. Ryan
    6. Ferris
    7. O'Brien
    8. Heaslip
    9. Reddan
    10. Sexton
    11. Gilroy
    12. Luke Fitzgerald
    13. B'OD (Captain)
    14 Earls (If Bowe is injured)
    15. Kearney

16. Cronin
    17. Loughney
    18. O'Connell
    19. P'OM
    20. Murray
    21. Madigan
    22. McFadden

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Healy, Best, Ross, Tuohy, POC, Ferris, SOB, Heaslip;
    Reddan, Sexton, Fitzgerald, Wallace, BOD, Trimble. Kearney

Bench: Cronin, Court, Ryan, POM, Murray, Madigan, Earls

At this stage Wallace is a far better option that D'Arcy at 12, he's been excellent lately for Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

'junior cert'

Out of order.
    Name calling. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Midfield will be the most interesting selection if Kidney bites the bullet and drops D'arcy. I don't think Paddy Wallace will come back into the frame and there's more of a chance of 12. BOD 13. Earls than a 12. McFadden 13. BOD imo.

I'd like to see Ronan Loughney at 17. Tom Court is a very good loosehead but we can't let a situation like Twickenham happen again. Loughney has played pretty well at TH this year, is solid at LH and is a good age (27) to act as cover until 23 man squads come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

ROG is playing above international standard. And thats according to the god himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Dream Team for summer tour:

15 Kearney
    14 Earls
    13 BOD
    12 Wallace
    11 Luke
    10 Sexton
    9 Reddan
    8 Heaslip
    7 POM
    6 Ferris
    5 POC
    4 Touhy
    3 Ross
    2 Best
    1 Healy

16 Sherry, 17 Court, 18 D Ryan, 19 SOB, 20 Murray, 21 Madigan, 22 McFadden/ Cave

Earls at 11 with Fitz at 14 is preferable imo

Trimble still an excellent option at 14 though.
    O'Mahoney was absolutely bossed by Henry yesterday, yet you'd start him ahead of O'Brien?

I think SOB should start at 7 with Henry on the bench .

rest of the team is spot on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'd still like to see Luke at 12 for a few tests...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I seriously doubt we'll see these selections :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

O'Mahoney was absolutely bossed by Henry yesterday, yet you'd start him ahead of O'Brien?

I wouldn't have issue with Henry in the squad or team tbh! Great player

Ya Trimble shouldn't be discounted because of a few dodgy moments in the 6n's.

I nearly got laughed out of here a few months ago when I suggested Wallace start at 12 for the six nations. One of our most underrated backs I think, great hands, great boot and solid as a rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

15 Kearney
    14 Trimble
    13 BOD
    12 Wallace
    11 Fitz
    10 Sexton
    9 Reddan
    8 Heaslip
    7 SOB
    6 Ferris
    5 POC
    4 Ryan
    3 Ross
    2 Best
    1 Healy

16 Cronin, 17 Court, 18 Tuohy, 19 POM, 20 Marshall, 21 Madigan, 22 Earls

Thats probably what I'd go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I reckon it's better Earls right and Fitz left as Fitz likes to cut in, pop up in midfield and doesn't have the top end speed of Earls. Being left footed it suits him better stepping from left to right although he can do it the other way also. I think it would suit Earls better on the right being right footed also, and easier for him to get the ball under his right arm, go on the outsideand pin his ears back. That seens more balanced to me. Why would you play them the other way around?

clsmooth wrote: »
    I reckon it's better Earls right and Fitz left as Fitz likes to cut in, pop up in midfield and doesn't have the top end speed of Earls. Being left footed it suits him better stepping from left to right although he can do it the other way also. I think it would suit Earls better on the right being right footed also, and easier for him to get the ball under his right arm, go on the outsideand pin his ears back. That seens more balanced to me. Why would you play them the other way around?

Earls has always been an 11 in my books. His genuine pace over the first 10m is hard to beat, and he's confident enough to back himself to take players on on the outside.

I've always figured that your 11 is the guy you get the ball to when there's acres of space for him to burn through, and your 14 is the all-round rugby player.

An 11's most important asset is his finishing imo. Hickie was a great example. Horgan and Bowe would be more "footballing" 14s, which is where Fitz would fit in in a direct comparison between himself and Earls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Earls has always been an 11 in my books. His genuine pace over the first 10m is hard to beat, and he's confident enough to back himself to take players on on the outside.

I've always figured that your 11 is the guy you get the ball to when there's acres of space for him to burn through, and your 14 is the all-round rugby player.

An 11's most important asset is his finishing imo. Hickie was a great example. Horgan and Bowe would be more "footballing" 14s, which is where Fitz would fit in in a direct comparison between himself and Earls.

Makes sense, the majority of players prefer passing from right to left so they should get more chances, but as a right footer, if I was a winger I think I'd prefer to be playing on the right. Not sure I've ever seen Earl on the right. Has Fitz played much on the right?

Posted in anther thread. Comments from Rory Best (talking about the exlusion of Henry,Marshall,Gilroy,Touhy):
    Those guys are playing some of the best rugby of their careers and haven't got the recognition they deserve.But we can sit and complain about Munster players getting the nod or ask why they win those tight calls.

What does everyone make of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Posted in anther thread. Comments from Rory Best (talking about the exlusion of Henry,Marshall,Gilroy,Touhy):

Those guys are playing some of the best rugby of their careers and haven't got the recognition they deserve.But we can sit and complain about Munster players getting the nod or ask why they win those tight calls.

What does everyone make of that?

Why don't you enlighten us by telling us what you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'm hesitant to comment on it until it's validity is confirmed.

• Advertisement

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Why don't you enlighten us by telling us what you think?

I think it shows disatisfaction with the squad selections and alludes to Kidney being more favourable to Munster players.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement