Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

alastair wrote: »
    One more time for luck. I'm not revisiting this again.

House valued at 200k - that's 200k of wealth stored in the asset.

House sold for 200k - that's 200k of wealth transferred from the asset to the owner.

Owner is in a 300k hole. He utilises that 200k to reduce his 300k debt.

The wealth is in the property.

Eh no, no wealth transfers to the owner. The 300k mortgage is a lien on the house, used to actually buy it, not some unconnected gambling debt or something. Looks like negative equity still has you perplexed.

You earlier said the owner is paying tax on the potential wealth from selling the house. So its the money left After selling, that you claim they are taxed for.

So presumably its the same for negative equity owners. So they are paying tax on a potential loss then, according to you.

You said they might make allowancs for this in the full property tax. If you suggest that, then its possibly unfair to tax negative equity homes. If its unfair, well we know your view on unfair taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

As this thread has got so big I dident read it to see if my point has already been made but I dont mind those who did pay the tax if they believed it was right and I support those who dident pay as I believe they are right, I'm just sick of the dickheads who waited till the last minute before paying it. What were they waiting for? Spineless ****&@s who wanted to look like they were not going to pay but dident have the balls in the end. It damaged the dont pay campaign by making it look very good up until the last minute. Spineless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

robbie7730 wrote: »
    But a home owner has no access to any value in his home.
    A home owner enjoys the benefit of their home every day, by living in it - that is getting value from their home.

gerryo777 wrote: »
    So the thing to do would be sell up, take a €100,000 debt with you and get a council house.

Genius, that's what you are, a genius. The kind of thinking that has us on our knees.

And dont forget, he said home owners are taxed on the potential to sell and have the equity in your pocket. So this tax is based on the possible proceeds of selling, according to him.

But he seems to have changed that outlook when its negative equity owners. They are taxed based not on the proceeds of the sale, but on the 200k got for the house. Laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

So the thing to do would be sell up, take a €100,000 debt with you and get a council house.

If you say so. Best of luck with the waiting list. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »
    A home owner enjoys the benefit of their home every day, by living in it - that is getting value from their home.

Yes, and they paid a high price for that. But thats not the wealth that alastair believes is why home owners are taxed now.

When the negative equity ones were pointed out, he had varying answers. They are a minority. They wont be in negative equity long, are two examples he came out with.

Now he says they are taxed on the 200k wealth in the 300k mortgage house. As if in some way the 300k debt has nothing to do with the house.

Eh no, no wealth transfers to the owner. The 300k mortgage is a lien on the house, used to actually buy it, not some unconnected gambling debt or something. Looks like negative equity still has you perplexed.

You earlier said the owner is paying tax on the potential wealth from selling the house. So its the money left After selling, that you claim they are taxed for.

So presumably its the same for negative equity owners. So they are paying tax on a potential loss then, according to you.

You said they might make allowancs for this in the full property tax. If you suggest that, then its possibly unfair to tax negative equity homes. If its unfair, well we know your view on unfair taxes.

Wow - some twisted 'thinking' at play there. I'm not sure what part of 'the wealth is in the property' you're missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Your not well son, not well at all! You twist everything you don't agree with.
    Is it any wonder you spend all your time on here.

But he seems to have changed that outlook when its negative equity owners. They are taxed based not on the proceeds of the sale, but on the 200k got for the house. Laughable.

I've not changed my outlook whatsoever.:confused:

Wow - some twisted 'thinking' at play there. I'm not sure what part of 'the wealth is in the property' you're missing.

You said owners have access to wealth. How? Answer that. You wont. Because you cant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mikom wrote: »
    Household charge 100 Euro.

Backwards this country is going.

FFS that's beyond a joke. A €1m yacht?:eek:

Yes, and they paid a high price for that. But thats not the wealth that alastair believes is why home owners are taxed now.

When the negative equity ones were pointed out, he had varying answers. They are a minority. They wont be in negative equity long, are two examples he came out with.

Now he says they are taxed on the 200k wealth in the 300k mortgage house. As if in some way the 300k debt has nothing to do with the house.

1. They are a minority - by quite a margin.
    2. Many won't be in negative equity for the long term.
    3. The mortgage has nothing to do with the value/wealth in the house. It'll be taxed on some model of market valuation.
    4. Again - the wealth is in the property - that's all that is liable for taxation.
    5. Whatever mechanisms for applying exemptions or discounts have nothing to do with the basic principles of levying tax on the wealth in the property.

You said owners have access to wealth. How? Answer that. You wont. Because you cant.

I did. You choose to pretend otherwise. Knock yourself out with that.

Did you not know that freddie?
    alastair didn't agree with the poll tax in the UK because it was an unfair tax and then didn't pay it.

Maybe that's why he lives here now.

FFS I didn't Gerry. And HE'S lecturing US? Alastair you have absolutely zero credibility after that one. Seriously.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    FFS I didn't Gerry. And HE'S lecturing US? Alastair you have absolutely zero credibility after that one. Seriously.

Thanks for your thoughts on credibility. :rolleyes:

Well it was actually your own advice
    Solution - sell and rent. Is that not a choice?

Looks like a change of mind, since you use the roll eyes.

mishkalucy wrote: »
    Friends of mine live outside of Liverpool and have a normal 3 bed bungalow. Their council tax is £1930 PA. Are we headed in that direction?
    More than likely. And it will make little or no difference to our growing debt. €2k per year from 1.5m households = €3Bn approx. But we're borrowing TWENTY BILLION to fund the deficit.

As I've already said, it's only a matter of time...............tick tock.

Well it was actually your own advice

Looks like a change of mind, since you use the roll eyes.

I didn't realise that the private rental sector had vanished! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your thoughts on credibility. :rolleyes:

You have zero credibility Alastair. You refuse to pay a tax in your home country because you deem it unfair, yet lecture us on doing precisely the same? Sweet Lord in Heaven.:rolleyes:

More than likely. And it will make little or no difference to our growing debt. €2k per year from 1.5m households = €3Bn approx. But we're borrowing TWENTY BILLION to fund the deficit.

As I've already said, it's only a matter of time...............tick tock.

That mere €3 billion per annum is of no use to Freddies distopian future!

• Advertisement

I didn't realise that the private rental sector had vanished! :rolleyes:

Comical ali. Best nickname i seen on boards in terms of a users postings v username.

I did. You choose to pretend otherwise. Knock yourself out with that.

Refresh us. What is this "access to wealth" that you speak of?

You have zero credibility Alastair. You refuse to pay a tax in your home country because you deem it unfair, yet lecture us on doing precisely the same? Sweet Lord in Heaven.:rolleyes:

My home country is this one - but thanks for ramping up the delusion quota a notch further.

Comical ali. Best nickname i seen on boards in terms of a users postings v username.

Oh sorry - did you forget about the private rental market? Bit fixated in certain areas, are we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Don't tell me he's a brit?
    Mind you, that might explain a few things.

Refresh us. What is this "access to wealth" that you speak of?

Yes, how does the home owner access this wealth that this new tax is based on alastair?

@Freddie He knows he is caught by the balls, the answer he gave for that, can not be used for the negative equity owner. And he knows it. So you will just get the question avoiding answer.

Don't tell me he's a brit?
    Mind you, that might explain a few things.

He will be adding a new tax to potatoes next.

Yes, how does the home owner access this wealth that this new tax is based on alastair?

@Freddie He knows he is caught by the balls, the answer he gave for that, can not be used for the negative equity owner. And he knows it. So you will just get the question avoiding answer.

You got my answer - feel free to revisit it as often as you like - I won't be reposting it. :p

Oh sorry - did you forget about the private rental market? Bit fixated in certain areas, are we?

No specific post needed. We already seen your failed spell checking to try discredit a few posters blow up in your face, and asking posters to answer simple yes or no answers, while not able to yourself, to see why another poster came up with the comical ali name.

And how you did not know that road tax is motor tax, and you say a home owner can sell his house to access the wealth in it, which a negative equity owner cant, but you still insist the owner has wealth to be taxed on. Either there is some problem with you, or your trolling.

• Advertisement

You got my answer - feel free to revisit it as often as you like - I won't be reposting it. :p

Ok, how would the negative equity owner in the example, use his 200k wealth in the house, to buy a 200k boat for example. You say he has wealth to be taxed on, so answer that.

As i said, you cant. Simply because the owner is paying tax on wealth he does not possess.

Your slithery, i`l give you that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement