Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

0000879k wrote: »
    Hey I got my subject forms today.. and although I thought I knew what I wanted... now that what I write down on this paper will determine my next 2 years, my leaving cert points and college courses / career.. I'm having some doubts.
    If I were to do these subjects I would aim for the grades below.. so the 'hard' should be related to those grades in the subjects..
    History - enjoyable? A2
    Business - Hard? A2
    Physics - Hard/Boring?? B1
    Geography - hard?? B1/A2

I do geography and business and tbh theyre really similar in ways.. Like not similar in content at all(Well not yet pour moi) but its just learning off reams of information. The info is a small bit harder in business, (wheras in geography its not hard at all) but its basically just learn it, no more!
    The marking scheme is meant to be a bit bleugh in business but we havnt done LC papers yet so I cant really comment. In geography we've done a few LC questions and the marking scheme is grand once you follow a certain format.
    Like I got over 90% in both for my Christmas tests and Id be hoping to keep it up.. If you can learn off stuff, you'd have no bother really..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Hey I got my subject forms today.. and although I thought I knew what I wanted... now that what I write down on this paper will determine my next 2 years, my leaving cert points and college courses / career.. I'm having some doubts.
    If I were to do these subjects I would aim for the grades below.. so the 'hard' should be related to those grades in the subjects..
    History - enjoyable? A2
    Business - Hard? A2
    Physics - Hard/Boring?? B1
    Geography - hard?? B1/A2
    History has become harder to achieve an A grade in as the essays are marked quite strict.

Business is a definite A1 if you put the effort into it and have an interest in any area of business. The only thing that pulls people off is the work load you have to do but it's a achievable A1 when you do the exam papers.

Source: I have a teacher for resource that told me that she found the papers very easy and she is currently doing a Business Management Master Degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Hey I shouldn't be posting here but this seems to be a busy thread so what the hell...

Is History hard to pick up for leaving cert??

I'm doing it outside school, our school didnt have enough wanting to do it... If your interested in history, like I am, then you'll actually enjoy it. But that wouldnt be an imperative, if your just good at learning off there are essays which have to be learned. Plus the project is like 20 or 25%, not certain. I go to one grind class a week, and other than that I just work away at it in my own time. Go for it i'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Easter holidays :)

Only 7 more weeks of 5th year for me! Crazy, this year has flown..

How far along are you guys into the courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

0mega wrote: »
    Easter holidays :)

Only 7 more weeks of 5th year for me! Crazy, this year has flown..

I never thought I'd say it but I'm actually bored.. And I'm still so tired :/
    English we've done 2 of or comparatives, Macbeth, 1 poet and on our 2nd now.
    Irish don't even ask.. I'd say 3 poems, 3 stories and maybe 3 topics for essays. Also 3 picture sequences.
    Maths (hl) algebra, logs, area and volume, sequences and starting differential calculus.
    Biology - not really sure but it seems like we have a lot to do next year.
    Chemistry - starting rates of reaction soon
    Accounting - final accounts and tabular statements.

Apologies for the state of this post, I'm on my iPod and my eyes are about to close I'm that tired..
    Anyone doing anything nice for easter? Or study? :o
    Omega, just wondering if ever PMd you back that time? Again I did it on my iPod but PMs I've sent don't appear in my sent box on the computer. Just wondering as it's the same with another person I PMd and well I hope I didn't seem rude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I decided that I'd spent this week just enjoying myself, which is going excellently so far, and next week I'll try spend a few days doing a bit of school-related stuff (something that has never happened during a school holiday before :eek:). Probably really sad and nerdy but meh, I've tonnes of folders to organise, something that I think used to be a desk to tidy and I've found out what's on some of my summer tests, and considering I'll probably be working most weekends between now and the end of the school year, I'd better get cracking now while I have a bit of time...also I'm now 97% sure of what I actually want to do with my life so I suppose it'd be a bit silly not to at least try do something about it. WOO, STUDY! LEAVING CERT! LIFE! BRING IT.

Slow Show wrote: »

I decided that I'd spent this week just enjoying myself, which is going excellently so far, and next week I'll try spend a few days doing a bit of school-related stuff (something that has never happened during a school holiday before :eek:). Probably really sad and nerdy but meh, I've tonnes of folders to organise, something that I think used to be a desk to tidy and I've found out what's on some of my summer tests, and considering I'll probably be working most weekends between now and the end of the school year, I'd better get cracking now while I have a bit of time...also I'm now 97% sure of what I actually want to do with my life so I suppose it'd be a bit silly not to at least try do something about it. WOO, STUDY! LEAVING CERT! LIFE! BRING IT.
    Yeh I actually need to do a good bit for school especially for French. After Easter it'll be 2 months since I've been taught French.. :/ I looked at chapter 2 of chemistry today but that was it.. I get distracted easily :P have stuff to organise too. I counted and I have 5 weeks of class left and 1 week of exams :( can't believe I'll be a 6th year and then going to college.. :O eep..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Back from a hockey trip to Holland, might do some study next week.

What results are people aiming for this summer?

decisions wrote: »
    Back from a hockey trip to Holland, might do some study next week.

What results are people aiming for this summer?
    Oh cool, sounds fun!
    Well I want to do medicine so I need to get mostly As :/ I don't think I'll get them though, TY made me so lazy!

Was a lot fun, so glad I went. I can't believe how close I came to not going.

Medicine, any particular part?

Aiming for mainly B's and with the year I've had it's so nice to be able to say that. French I want to pass, failed at *insert religious celebration here* and after a grand spent on grinds I have something to prove to myself, my teacher and my parents, should be ok though. My only other concern is Applied Maths, I just don't get collisions.

Thinking how close to 6th year we are is scary, we are the next people to sit the mocks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Oh cool, sounds fun!
    Well I want to do medicine so I need to get mostly As :/ I don't think I'll get them though, TY made me so lazy!

Story of my life right there! where you thinking of doing Med?

Glee_GG wrote: »
    Oh cool, sounds fun!

Story of my life right there! where you thinking of doing Med?
    Hopefully RCSI! What about you? I think at the moment I'd like to do paediatrics but I'm not really sure yet.
    I was so good before TY, even though I get good grades I could do better :/ and need to!

Hopefully RCSI! What about you? I think at the moment I'd like to do paediatrics but I'm not really sure yet.
    I was so good before TY, even though I get good grades I could do better :/ and need to!

nice one! Love to go to UCD, it sounds really good there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I never thought I'd say it but I'm actually bored.. And I'm still so tired :/
    English we've done 2 of or comparatives, Macbeth, 1 poet and on our 2nd now.
    Irish don't even ask.. I'd say 3 poems, 3 stories and maybe 3 topics for essays. Also 3 picture sequences.
    Maths (hl) algebra, logs, area and volume, sequences and starting differential calculus.
    Biology - not really sure but it seems like we have a lot to do next year.
    Chemistry - starting rates of reaction soon
    Accounting - final accounts and tabular statements.

Apologies for the state of this post, I'm on my iPod and my eyes are about to close I'm that tired..
    Omega, just wondering if ever PMd you back that time? Again I did it on my iPod but PMs I've sent don't appear in my sent box on the computer. Just wondering as it's the same with another person I PMd and well I hope I didn't seem rude.

Hey :)

I think we've got a tiny bit more covered. English, all 3 comparatives done and in Maths quite a bit more, but we've got nowhere near as much in Irish, only done one essay this year!

I'll probably go out with friends and that, but I've been trying to not waste the holidays sitting around bored and I've been doing about 3 hours of study a day on a particular subject.. just to start me off for Summer exam prep (I want to do well as I was very disappointed with Christmas, only got 1 A) .. so far so good.

I've sent you a PM.

So far we have covered:
    English- 2 poets, read/watched the comparative haven't started on full essays yet.
    Irish OL- 7 pictures, 2 poems, a story and a lot of the basic oral stuff
    Economics - all of micro except the factors of production
    Physics - Light, heat, mechanics, SHM, work energy power and some other stuff
    Ap. Maths - LM, Rel Vol, projectiles, NL, collisions and almost finished statics.
    French - ??? Don't know tbh
    Maths - trig, geometry, differentiation, algebra and inequalities. Should be finished the 1st New Concise Maths book in about 2 weeks.

A lot of revision to do between now and the end of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

So far we have done:

Maths: Stats, Probability, Complex Numbers, Differentiation & Limits, Trigonometry, Co-ordinate Geometry of the Line (and most of the Circle).
    Irish: 4 poems, 1 prose, The Education System, The Status of Irish, The Media, An Triail, some oral topics, 3 Sraith Phictiúr.
    English: Macbeth, 3 Comparative Texts (Wuthering Heights, The Constant Gardener, How Many Miles To Babylon?), 2 poets, monthly composition essays, a few comprehensions (A and B questions).
    French: I think we've done 4 or 5 topics along with formal letters and some oral work.
    Biology: All of the molecular biology (Unit 2 in "Biology"), Human Nutrition, The Scientific Method, Characteristics of Life, Food, and we're beginning Ecology.
    History: All of Dictatorship and Democracy, 12 chapters of Sovereignty and Partition, about 10-12 essays.
    Music: Bach, 90% of Tchaikovsky, Writing a Bass Line, Melody Writing and a bit of Irish Music.
    Applied Maths: Vectors, Uniform Acceleration, Projectiles on the Horizontal Plane, Relative Velocity, Newtons Laws and Connected Particles, Work Energy and Power, most of Impacts and Collisions.
    Japanese: Units 1-4 of Nihongo Kantan, all Hiragana Kantan and Katakana Kantan, about 45 Kanji.

I'm also studying for SATs now (anyone else sitting the Reasoning Test on the 5th of May in Andrew's???). Stressful but worth it if I end up getting into a US university :3

SAT's cool, where in the US are you aiming to study?

Currently looking at St. Andrews in Scotland.

MegGustaa wrote: »
    So far we have done:

Maths: Stats, Probability, Complex Numbers, Differentiation & Limits, Trigonometry, Co-ordinate Geometry of the Line (and most of the Circle).
    Irish: 4 poems, 1 prose, The Education System, The Status of Irish, The Media, An Triail, some oral topics, 3 Sraith Phictiúr.
    English: Macbeth, 3 Comparative Texts (Wuthering Heights, The Constant Gardener, How Many Miles To Babylon?), 2 poets, monthly composition essays, a few comprehensions (A and B questions).
    French: I think we've done 4 or 5 topics along with formal letters and some oral work.
    Biology: All of the molecular biology (Unit 2 in "Biology"), Human Nutrition, The Scientific Method, Characteristics of Life, Food, and we're beginning Ecology.
    History: All of Dictatorship and Democracy, 12 chapters of Sovereignty and Partition, about 10-12 essays.
    Music: Bach, 90% of Tchaikovsky, Writing a Bass Line, Melody Writing and a bit of Irish Music.
    Applied Maths: Vectors, Uniform Acceleration, Projectiles on the Horizontal Plane, Relative Velocity, Newtons Laws and Connected Particles, Work Energy and Power, most of Impacts and Collisions.
    Japanese: Units 1-4 of Nihongo Kantan, all Hiragana Kantan and Katakana Kantan, about 45 Kanji.

I'm also studying for SATs now (anyone else sitting the Reasoning Test on the 5th of May in Andrew's???). Stressful but worth it if I end up getting into a US university :3
    Wow we must be really far behind! Especially in maths, you have so much done!
    Not doing the SATs as I really would hate to go abroad for college but I have done the PSAT for CTYI. I don't think there's a huge difference from what I've seen between the two (if I remember correctly, could be wrong). What are you hoping to do in college?

http://www.ucd.ie/healthsciences/healthscimedvisit/

Have you heard of this? :) Found a random pamphlet on my desk from the Open Day about it, it sounds really interesting. I think I'm gonna head up on one of the days during the summer! I'm so unsure about where to actually apply, I'm so torn between UCD and NUIG, so hopefully this might help me decide. Then I just have to worry about actually getting in... :p

Have you heard of this? :) Found a random pamphlet on my desk from the Open Day about it, it sounds really interesting. I think I'm gonna head up on one of the days during the summer! I'm so unsure about where to actually apply, I'm so torn between UCD and NUIG, so hopefully this might help me decide. Then I just have to worry about actually getting in... :p
    I might go to that too. I think I'd rather RCSI but I missed the UCD open day so I haven't seen it at all yet.

• Advertisement

ah cheers hadn't seen this before! Sounds pretty decent, might head to the one in august!

Oh wow, what/where you hoping to study?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

So far we have done:

:eek: Bloody hell! Have ye anything left to do?!

0mega wrote: »

Maths: Stats, Probability, Geometry 1 and 2, Co-ordinate geometry: the line, constructions, alegebra, indices and logs, area and volume, and something else in book one :L

English: Macbeth, 3 comparatives, couple of comprehensions, 3 poets - Mahon/Hopkins/Wordsworth

Irish: 5 stories, 8 poems (doing the extra poems instead of An Triail), an absolute ton on grammar and verbs, one essay, haven't really done an oral work yet.

Biology: All unit 1, all unit 2 except for genetics, the heart/lungs/horomones/digestion

Chem: Starting rates of reactions when we go back so everything up til then.

Physics: Up to the chapter on potential charge think around Chapter 22 or something like that!

App Maths: Finishing off statics. We're only doing 8 out of the 10 topics because she said circular motion and hydralics take too long. So we've all the ordinary level course done and the higher level part a's

German: couple of random topics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Maths - quite literally untraceable as our maths teacher goes off into various tangents (heh) and completely ignores the existence of textbooks. quite possibly nearing the end of the course - given that we do extra morning classes every morning and weird holiday classes (got another one on Wednesday)
    Irish - couple of sraith pictúirí, 3 stories, 3 poems, oral practice
    French - fourth chapter of that textbook Formule 4 just finished, oral practice and over half of the aural tapes in the Écoutez Bien series
    Physics - ??? we're doing something about waves now. I can't figure out what our teacher is doing. may have to grind it.
    Chemistry - doing the final experiment in volumetric analysis of redox reactions on the return
    Business - now on taxation for business
    English - 1 comparative (Wuthering Heights), 1 poet (Elizabeth Bishop), single text (Macbeth). pretty far behind some clearly

I'm gonna jump on this bandwagon.

Maths - The line, the circle, a fair bit of algebra, trig and probability, differentiation, integration, indices...
    English - 2 poets, Macbeth, one of the comparatives, some paper 1 stuff...everyone seems way further along but thankfully the English course isn't too big and intimidating.
    Irish - All the poems and prose, a few of the sraith pictúirí, bit of general oral stuff
    French - I have no idea how to keep track of what we do in french. More comprehensions than I could ever count, and just random stuff from all over the place.
    Biology - Lots. Pretty much all of human biology done (sigh, my favourite part), most of unit 1 and a chunk of unit 2
    Chemistry - Atomic theory, Acids and Bases 1, Gas Laws, The Mole, Ionic and Covalent Bonding, Shapes of Molecules and Intermolecular Forces, Acid-Base Titrations, Oxidation and Reduction, Redox Titrations, bit of Organic Chemistry
    Accounting - Most of the course, but not in great detail yet.

I really wish all of that information was still in my brain... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Anybody lifted a finger over the hols so far and done a bit of study? I have just spent a thoroughly enjoyable week doing nothing other than : sleeping late, playing the xbox, watching TV, listening to the ipod bit of footie and generally just being a couch potato. Really hasn't hit that the leaving cert is looming tbh. Still though I feel kind of guilty for doing nothing productive with my free time. Maybe might chance a book next week, but dont see myself doing any study at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Casablanca is on Film 4 today if any of ye are doing it as part of your comparative. :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 93 ✭✭smurphy11

ive done all of differentiation this week myself because i was out for about a month before mid-term, its actually not too hard learning maths on your own if you have the right resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

Wow we must be really far behind! Especially in maths, you have so much done!
    Not doing the SATs as I really would hate to go abroad for college but I have done the PSAT for CTYI. I don't think there's a huge difference from what I've seen between the two (if I remember correctly, could be wrong). What are you hoping to do in college?

Yeah I did the PSAT for CTYI too but in 1st Year so I barely remember it at all. Tbh the only major difference is the length, the essay section and the (marginally) more difficult questions :D

I'm not entirely sure what I want to do - that's really the appeal of the US. You can take a huge variety of classes in your first two years and don't really have to narrow it down until the last two years. I'm looking at stuff like Maths and Engineering but I'm really not so sure!

Oh and I wouldn't worry too much about how much we've done in Maths - we did Stats, Probability and Complex Numbers in Transition Year so we got a little leg up on it ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement