Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 1/4/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Kudos to all the ultra guys posting those times. Hitting the HOTW at 35 rather than our 22 is just so impressive.
    Managed the full myself in a garmin time of 3:21:09 for a PB of 1:50 on Berlin last September. Have to say I'm delighted. Brain can't work it out now but felt strong till HOTW, lost a few minutes there and found it tough enough to pick it up after that. Looking forward to analysing the garmin next week.
    Anyone got a link to official times?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The usually use http://www.redtagtiming.com/ the ultra course will be open till 5 or so so they probably won't be up till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Ooooouuuchh!

More on this later...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

whohoo a (connemara) pb by a whole 2 minutes in the half :D

fantastic out there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

Congrats to everyone who got up and over those hills today. Not easy but fun in a weird way :-) Felt very strong at the marathon point 2:56ish but faded a little on the last hill and run-in. Was attacked by cramp in the last half mile which ended up taking over ten minutes but managed to regroup and stumble over the line. Was really happy in the end and thrilled to see loads of Boards people out strutting their stuff.

Connemara in the sunshine. Whrre else would you be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Really tough day at the office for me. Got through the full in 3:29 bang on target but felt cramp in the left hamstring coming up the hill after lenaune and it stuck for the first time at about mile 29 (a full 4 miles sooner than last year). From there on it was a matter of run/shuffle quarter a mile, stop stretch walk a few minutes repeat.
    Managed to jog the last 2 miles just under 10 min/mile to come in just under 5:40 (2:10 for the last 13.1 after two halfs of 1:44:xx :o)

Stil a PB on last year by 11 minutes so not all doom and gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

menoscemo wrote: »
    Really tough day at the office for me. Got through the full in 3:29 bang on target but felt cramp in the left hamstring coming up the hill after lenaune and it stuck for the first time at about mile 29 (a full 4 miles sooner than last year). From there on it was a matter of run/shuffle quarter a mile, stop stretch walk a few minutes repeat.
    Managed to jog the last 2 miles just under 10 min/mile to come in just under 5:40 (2:10 for the last 13.1 after two halfs of 1:44:xx :o)

Well done - fair play, great running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

A 7 min pb for me. Felt great for the first 20 but struggled over the last 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Had a tough weeks training so i struggled today. 6.08 for me. Still enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Pretty happy with my 4:53. Had to deal with cramps between miles 30 and 35, which is where I lost contact with Liamo and Ray, but managed to salvage a more than decent time. Split the halfs in 1:36, 1:36 and 1:41, would have been even more even without the cramps. All in all a good day at the office. ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Pretty happy with my 4:53. Had to deal with cramps between miles 30 and 35, which is where I lost contact with Liamo and Ray, but managed to salvage a more than decent time. Split the halfs in 1:36, 1:36 and 1:41, would have been even more even with out the cramps. All in all a good day at the office. ;-)

Caught a glimpse of you on the RTE news. Looking good, but it was probably the first mile :rolleyes:
    PS - waving at the camera is soooo last year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Got a PB in the half - 1:43:57 :)
    Since it was my first, the PB was always on as long as I finished = though going up the hill that was far from certain. :P

Have to say that overall I found it tough, the first hill out of Leenane was longer than I anticipated. Was only just inside my hoped 1:40 at halfway, and I knew with the HOTW ahead and fatigue I was highly unlikely to make it.
    Really struggled on the HOTW, and by the time I got to the top I just didn't have anything left to let go on the downhill.
    Saw the clock heading towards 1:44, and pushed it at the end to cross the line with a couple of seconds to spare.

Must say that while I really enjoyed the Craughwell 10 a couple of weeks ago, I just wasn't in the same gear today.
    Probably down to a combination of heat and hills, but I'll take that time for my first half, and maybe do one again later in the year.
    Back to some shorter races over the next few months.

Well done too Boardsies, some great times there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

3.36 in the full, a new PB by over 17 mins but disappointed not to break 3.30.

A highlight of the day was watching the first 4 men in the Ultra pass the marathon start. Jesus they were motoring. I finally got to see the legendary Mick Rice. I expected to see an old man with cheese for knees and a long beard down to his chest as per his sage like status, instead some tanned, hairless, young sprightly chap passed me by :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Forgot to mention. The ultra winner was well under 4 hours apparantly :eek:

And KC finished 5th in the half in around 80 mins.

Ultra results in previous post updated...

Just saw him on the news, that's bloody impressive and not a bother on him giving his interview.

In fact, impressive running by all the boardsie ultras, fullers and halfers, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Didn't meet any Boardsies today unfortunately. Got two PBs today. One for Half Marathon (1:55:something) and for Marathon (3:56:08). Absolutely delighted!

I consumed 4 litres of water on the course alone, and was still slightly dehydrated for a while after the race (8 aid stations x2 x250ml). Have a face like a beetroot now :o

Congratulations everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Ran the full in 3:06.
    Was handed my daughter for the last 100 yards and that got me on the news, interview and everything! Rte player has it if anyone is remotely interested.

A big thank you to Eoin from Athenry AC who I met at mile 5, he was a great help to me all the way around especially in getting me up "the hell" at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

completed my first half today in 1.47. glad i chose connemara to do it in. fab weather and an all round fantastic day even if that hill threatened to ruin it on me! got over it though.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    Ran the full in 3:06.
    Was handed my daughter for the last 100 yards and that got me on the news, interview and everything!

I just saw that and laughed "that hill at the end is just uncalled for" :D:D
    you're right! Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

What a great day!
    My first half, so a PB at 2.09, was hoping for sub 2.15 so absolutely thrilled. Everyone was so friendly, weather was amazing and the Hell of the West wasn't that bad ;)
    Haven't been able to stop smiling all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

menoscemo wrote: »

Well done again on the PB menoscemo. The HOTW got the better of me out there. Had to walk a lot of it. Managed to get going again once at the top and got home in 5.29.**, 1st time in Connemara and decided to go the hard way with the ultra. While it was really tough for a finish I'm delighted I did it. Fabulous scenery. Maybe someday I'll return ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canine Marathoner

my memory (& my stopwatch reading) is that I just got in under 5.45 for the ultra having done a flamboyant sprint to make up for overshooting my target time by 15 minutes. adored the course, the camraderie, the atmosphere - the whole experience. will be back. made a schoolboy error: consumed too many gels & energy drinks & had three devastating miles with stomach problems which seriously delayed me. learnt alot. no regrets. a great day. looking forward to next year. thanks to all on this thread who readily gave such good advice over the months. until next year.

thanks to all on this thread who readily gave such good advice over the months. until next year.

Amen, I have to echo that.
    I realtively new to boards and this posters on here have been of great help to me as well.

What a great day!
    My first half, so a PB at 2.09, was hoping for sub 2.15 so absolutely thrilled. Everyone was so friendly, weather was amazing and the Hell of the West wasn't that bad ;)
    Haven't been able to stop smiling all day.

Well done Pansophelia, great achievement on a very testing course.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Any results up anywhere yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Any results up anywhere yet?

According to the website they'll be printed in today's Irish Independent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

I have to say I have huge respect for the ultras. It's some achievement. Just did the half myself and that was though enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Finished the half in about 1:42, which is about 17 minutes better than my previous time in Dublin last year. Delighted but absolutely shattered. Took me a few hours to feel human afterwards, will be hobbling around the office all day today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great day out in Conn yesterday. I did the half myself and loved every minute of it.

Thanks to all the organisers and volunteers who were so friendly and supportive. Despite the price I will def be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Still havent heard WHO WON?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KoemansCC

Great day and atmosphere, congrats all...had a tough day myself in the half and struggled home in 02:07. Great respect for the ultra runners, the ones that overtook me on the way seemed to be cruising...I was cursing!!!

Advertisement