Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

jesus deiseboy brace yourself ,i disagree with ya there ,cody is a masterclass in management ,kk were in a really bad place before he arrived ,he is a class act, and how very few managers have actually failed to put his ideals and work ethic into place is beyond me,[kevin sheedy being the exception],2008 all ireland when asked on the monday night of the homecoming why he only made 2 subs [1 of those enforced,the other was mc garry in goal]he actually has a heart,he replied with the classic cody reply ,"its not easy to win an all ireland and i picked 15 fellas who i knew could do it ,and they were so why change it ,walsh cup final this year he started 10 of last years AI final team and brought on another 3 that featured ,while we were trying lads,first things first if you enter a competition put your strongest 15 out no trying lads they will get their chance when they deserve it ,not just give them a game because you brought them onto the panel, if their on the panel you already know what their capable of and if you trust them enough play them when its their time not because you need to play them to justify to yourself why there here in the first place ,just typed this with one finger and i see your lol at the end of your post ,anyway there you go cody the man with real balls

emmm I think youll find I was kidding. It was a response to a silly post that Nicky Cashin only won AI minors with KK cause of the quality players under him and my argument is that you could say the same about Cody if thats the case as he has all those players now aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

emmm I think youll find I was kidding. It was a response to a silly post that Nicky Cashin only won AI minors with KK cause of the quality players under him and my argument is that you could say the same about Cody if thats the case as he has all those players now aswell

Interesting point. So if I were to say, for example, that Michael Ryan only won a Munster with DLS because of the quality of their team, would the same logic apply?

One negative would be the possibility he'd cotinue the trend of picking his brother...

Hey boy only a few weeks ago you were applauding scully for picking the O'Gormans bit hypocritical outa you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

hope your wrong but i would agree with alot of things you said ,i think he should have started with the tony forristal or even sonny walsh teams ,

True..We have loads of guys with the proven ability to step into Cashin's shoes

Chuck O' Connor another good hurler for Waterford managing teams a good few years in KK. Had the minors last year would bring something new to the job.

Sean Cullinane in Pasage another great player in his day managing underage teams in Passage the last 10 years had a stint as selector at underage.

Stephen Framton needs no introduction, running underage teams in Ballygunner..

Damien Byrne another former great involved in nearly every team from U14's to minor with Sacred heart.

I could go on and on all these guys have played at the highest level like Ken but went back to the clubs and learned the hard way about coaching

I'm sure some of the Guys on here from the West of the County could give you a list from names down there of former greats who have trained with there clubs with equal ability as the few mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Does anyone know what the story is with the team and training ahead of Sunday

• Advertisement

Hey boy only a few weeks ago you were lauding scully for picking the O'Gormans bit hypocritical outa you there

Oh yeah, I forgot they were actually triplets, not twins! They did a good job with the makeover making Michael Ryan look a lot older than them (also the name change was a masterstroke).

Interesting use of the word laud. I would say I was more defending them, feeling they deserved a chance and the criticism received on account of the O'Gormans being selected was quite unfair given the time of year, and it was quite clear to me and still is that some people have absolutely no idea the amount of players that get tried in January. I happen to know of several players who would be nowhere near inter county standard that were brought into the Waterford squad under Davy in January, but nobody knew anything about it. The only reason people knew about this was because they were from the same club as him, and a lot of people wanted an excuse to have a go at Ryan.

Funfair wrote: »

Chuck O' Connor another good hurler for Waterford managing teams a good few years in KK. Had the minors last year would bring something new to the job.

Sean Cullinane in Pasage another great player in his day managing underage teams in Passage the last 10 years had a stint as selector at underage.

Damien Byrne another former great involved in nearly every team from U14's to minor with Sacred heart.

I could go on and on all these guys have played at the highest level like Ken but went back to the clubs and learned the hard way about coaching

I'm sure some of the Guys on here from the West of the County could give you a list from names down there of former greats who have trained with there clubs with equal ability as the few mentioned above.

Having spoken to someone involved with the minors last year, wouldn't be considering Chuck for a role with the Senior team. I think there's a reason he didn't get a second stint at the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

To be honest, would think its Kens very recent link and connection with the current squad which was one of the most pertinent aspects of his appointment. In other circumstances, perhaps many others might be more suitable, but think getting Ken involved in some capacity is a bit of a ballsy move, but one that if it comes off and helps turns things around, could quite easily be hailed as a masterstroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭IanVW

tweeted by @WaterfordGAA

SH v Galway. O'Keeffe, Kearney, Lawlor, Mahony, Browne, Brick, Fives, Moran, Sullivan, Shanahan, S Pender, Stevie, Mullane, Walsh, O'Brien

IanVW wrote: »
    tweeted by @WaterfordGAA

SH v Galway. O'Keeffe, Kearney, Lawlor, Mahony, Browne, Brick, Fives, Moran, Sullivan, Shanahan, S Pender, Stevie, Mullane, Walsh, O'Brien

Most impressive line up so far, would maybe prefer to see Molumphy in midfield instead of O'Sullvan because he was absolutely outstanding against Tipp but pretty happy with that team.

• Advertisement

tweeted by @WaterfordGAA

I like that team and we have Eoin McGrath Christ :D I mean Kelly to come on if needed.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭IanVW

Knowing us we'll have eoin mcgrath warming up instead when everyones expecting kelly to come on! ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    what is it with the muppetry on this thread..Ken has spent the last 15 years breaking his back for waterford hurling, I think he is more qualified than anyone and is he/did he not work as a hurling coach around schools etc?

News to me about the schools and I'd be suprised if it were true..

Goes to show that you know nothing about coaching either if you think being a great player qualifys you as a coach/manager..

Ask Roy Keane he'll tell you all about it..

He coaches underage teams in Mount Sion aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Dickys Back Garden

Not being pedantic but Ken is actually heavily involved in the Mount Sion Club juveniles. He's currently training the under 14's and judging by the names you quoted above, managing juvenile teams seems to be a qualifying criteria for you! And also, what teams has Liam O' Connor being managing in Kilkenny for years?

I think Ken has erred in getting involved but he'd be every bit as qualified as your aforementioned candidates. He has played up to last year, he has seen how the game and training methods and approaches have evolved. I would imagine, with every respect to the great men mentioned, he is more informed about what is required than Chuck, Frampton, Bugs and Seán!

Not being pedantic but Ken is actually heavily involved in the Mount Sion Club juveniles. He's currently training the under 14's and judging by the names you quoted above, managing juvenile teams seems to be a qualifying criteria for you! And also, what teams has Liam O' Connor being managing in Kilkenny for years?

I think Ken has erred in getting involved but he'd be every bit as qualified as your aforementioned candidates. He has played up to last year, he has seen how the game and training methods and approaches have evolved. I would imagine, with every respect to the great men mentioned, he is more informed about what is required than Chuck, Frampton, Bugs and Seán!

I doubt he was heavily involved as he was playing and wouldn't have had the time. he might have being on the sideline but heavily involved NO. He may be this season which is good to see and fair play to him as only a small % of players give something back.

This season he's taken your U14's surely the Co.Board should wait to see how that pans out before they throw him in at the deep end a bit like what his own club is doing don't you think?

He's not good enough to manage Mount Sion senior team then is he? It's not like they don't need this great coach and that your winning senior championships lately.

Throw him the U14's your having a laugh about his Qualifications :D

Problem we have now is unfortunatly once Ken goes into management he will get slated for the teams failings which will be sad to see.

BTW. Chuck played with and managed James Stephens in Kilkenny in both hurling and football at senior and underage..

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

I had heard Molumphy got a vicious butt of the hurl in the eye and needed a heap of stitches, lucky not to lose an eye by all accounts. Didn't think he'd be fit for togging out.... We'l see.

glick6 wrote: »
    I had heard Molumphy got a vicious butt of the hurl in the eye and needed a heap of stitches, lucky not to lose an eye by all accounts. Didn't think he'd be fit for togging out.... We'l see.

That Molumphy is as tough as nails

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

On paper, the team for Sunday looks like the best team put out in a while. I'm very interested to see fives operate at WB rather than in the corner. Molumphy actually deserved to be dropped - while he might have contributed a bit going forward last time out, he simply wasn't at the races for the rest of it. Woodlock, a player who has been in and out of intercounty hurling for the last 2 years got on a hugh amount of ball, still played badly mind. He actually had 4 if not 5 wides but that in itself would have you question Molumphy's overall performance, poor IMO.

I really wish Ken the best, getting involved. I'd love to know the motives for him personally as well as the motives of whoever had a hand in getting him involved.

- did someone just suddenly come up with the idea on the spur....... or was it planned?
    - is he the forwards coach or is he there to prevent a mutiny?

There's no doubt it's a difficult and awkward position he's let himself in for. It's alot easier said than done to go in and deal with former playing colleagues. Anthony Daly was 33 when he got involved with Clare and the player/manager relationship was far from ideal, then again he was the manager, Ken is not so you're not really comparing like with like.

This could end up being an ingenius stroke. Ken gets an internship of sorts, without the spotlight, that's on Ryan. Ken will have a hugh opportunity to hone his own Mgt skills as a result and who knows you might have a future 'Dalo' type manager on your hands, who knows.

Interesting point. So if I were to say, for example, that Michael Ryan only won a Munster with DLS because of the quality of their team, would the same logic apply?

No it wouldnt. Ive never said anything against Ryans achievements with DLS so your barking up the wrong tree this time

I like that team and we have Eoin McGrath Christ :D I mean Kelly to come on if needed.. :)

Yea and Paudie Mahony aswell? Great to see Ringo back be a big test for him hasnt had much competitive action over the past 2 years so hope it goes well for him. Much more balanced looking team theres a lot more physicality in the half forward line and a bit stronger in the air aswell.

Fingers crossed for a better performance at least if nothing else

• Advertisement

tweeted by @WaterfordGAA

By the way which O'Brien is starting?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Gavin O Brien

No it wouldnt. Ive never said anything against Ryans achievements with DLS so your barking up the wrong tree this time

Just making sure
    Yea and Paudie Mahony aswell? Great to see Ringo back be a big test for him hasnt had much competitive action over the past 2 years so hope it goes well for him. Much more balanced looking team theres a lot more physicality in the half forward line and a bit stronger in the air aswell.

Fingers crossed for a better performance at least if nothing else

Think Mahony has a groin injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Fairly happy with that team, definately our strongest team so far this year. Still not fully convinced having Philip Mahony corner back, not his natural position and may find it tough up against an in form Damian Hayes.
    Half back line and midfield looks well balanced, hopefully Maurice and Seamus can win ball in that HF line and that FF line looks well capable of getting some scores. Good to have Ringo back and SOK retaining number 1. Would probably still fancy Galway but I'd be hopeful that that team can put up a better show than the last three games.
    Don't suppose this will be on TG4 no?

Unfotunately not

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

tweeted by @WaterfordGAA

I think Tony is doubtful wit his hamstring, if he's out we'l prob end up with Nano Nagle wing back,fingers crossed for tony so.. Team is not too bad as it's named an I think were worth a little bet for tomorrow if team lines out as were told. we have a nack of gettin past Galway in recent years so mentally we know we can win this game, we have nothin to lose were down but not out yet, the team seemed to be buzzing last nite in training so for the price of the match ticket an a programme i'l have a sneaky bet.. Up the Deise...

Waterford are available at 11/2 to win tomorrow, that's definitely worth a punt as Galway are no Kilkenny and Traditionally we hold no fear of them..

Waterford are available at 11/2 to win tomorrow, that's definitely worth a punt as Galway are no Kilkenny and Traditionally we hold no fear of them..

I would except our record at salthill is dreadful. I cant ever remember winning there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

whered u get those odds, 4/1 on PP and 9/2 on ladbrokes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

O Riain wrote: »

whered u get those odds, 4/1 on PP and 9/2 on ladbrokes

We were 11/2 this morn on PP were gone into 4's now. An we were 11/10 +6 points this morn that's been shortened aswell. Which was a very good bet.

Look up Oddschecker website for best price in any sport. currently William Hill still has us 11/2

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement