Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

We will put manners on them this time.
    I have never saw a people who are so angry before.
    Old and young united in fighting this.

We'll see. A week is a long time in politics. I expect a lot of chilly feet and not from the lack of heating!;)

I predict a stalemate, enough pay it to warrant a review, and a six month stay will be announced. Compliance will be attained by drip feed over the intervening period. It's the Irish way.

The excuse is already inbuilt; difficult payment method, that will be addressed and changed to a cash also method in POs and elsewhere (possibly like the road toll fees). Time is required to fine tune. They'll pick off the recalcitrant in small pockets, enough to scare the general population into compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

We'll see. A week is a long time in politics. I expect a lot of chilly feet and not from the lack of heating!;)

I assume you have paid it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ecu

I'm guessing here, but would say not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I haven't met one single person angered by the household charge.
    Slightly annoyed but paying anyway maybe, but not angered.

And I'm a taxi driver in a disadvantaged area :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Renting. So I'm exempt. I probably wouldn't pay it initially but I'd be cagey. First sign of cracks in the dam, I'd not be last out of the valley. Probably like most. This is a numbers game. Volume wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Sionach

Where To wrote: »

You should bring that taxi around my area. I've lost count of the number of people who are angered,annoyed and down right p**sed of at the tax and the government.

I am now hearing people who have been anti Sin Fein all their lives preparing to vote them into Government at the earliest opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Sionach

You should bring that taxi around my area. I've lost count of the number of people who are angered,annoyed and down right p**sed of at the tax and the government.

I am now hearing people who have been anti Sin Fein all their lives preparing to vote them into Government at the earliest opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Some of the stuff on here is hysterical!

Excellent :D

Was at a meeting tonight, pretty rural setting, over 60 at it.
    None paying, getting ready for whatever Big Phil and his gang throw at us.

I wonder if they'll set up a register of who isn't going to pay, because I'd put my name on that no bother.

After being part of a campaign for the past couple of months, I reckon I'd easily have over 100 people in the local district court room and if you've been in one lately you'd know how difficult a situation that could become.

Bring it!

Don't register (unless it's not to pay). Don't pay :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Retired a year ago, and returned here for good. My Household Charge in the U.K. was £ 80 per month ( £ 960 P.A.) for a small Flat. I have no problem paying the charge here out of my old age pension, and intended to do so until to-day. I have just learned of the St. Patricks Day Junkets that my local councellors have gone away on, which to me is a complete waste of money. I assume that thier partners ( Wifes/ Husbands ) went too. I would accept Senior Ministers can make a good case for going,but that is it. For other Micky Mouse local Politicans, this is not on. Would like viewers to check with thier local councils, who went where, and how much did it cost.? Then decide if you want to pay your Council Tax, so that it can be wasted in this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Not one single person?
    Lies.

According to some posters here, that could be anywhere!
    What radio station do you listen to btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

I would live in the dark with a rain barrel for water if necessary before i'd pay this tax on my home. No chance.

Good luck with that.

Water in a rain barrel is not suitable for drinking, without reverse osmosis and/or UV filtering. Also rain water picks up chemicals from your roof as it goes down your drain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

'Someone' usurped the democratically elected governance of our country.

*cough*

Actually FG and Labour did.

Don't be so reluctant to name and shame.

donalg1 wrote: »
    You reply to that post by name calling!! Good lad

Well spotted Donal - didn't think you were that...eh....alert :rolleyes:

Ecu wrote: »
    Will the household charge mood feed into the coming referendum?

If people have any balls it will.

(But I'm not holding my breath - after all folk voted FG/Lab to get change - there is one born every minute as TP once said).

I thinks betimes that stupid sheep deserve to be fleeced; then me more benign side does takes hold and I try to help them. :cool:

Also rain water picks up chemicals from your roof as it goes down your drain.

Whereas your house tax money will just go straight down the drain into the sewer containing the German Banking System, picking up nothing along the way. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭2pack

If the charge was going to something worthwhile like above mentioned Crumlin i would gladly pay but of course it wont and its always the case, Its because this government are clueless and are only out for themselves and only care about getting the revenue in by any means possible and are out of touch with the people.

How can we trust a Government that lied to us for their own gains ie to get into power.

Im disgusted with them and the worst thing is, they think they have done nothing wrong and that we will forget all about it.

And "Septic Phil" (Hogan) does not do himself or his cronies in government any favours either with his threatening behaviour and arrogance,

Its on a matter of principle that I and now know most of my local area will NOT be paying these crazy charges,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Whereas your house tax money will just go straight down the drain into the sewer containing the German Banking System, picking up nothing along the way. ;)

That's not on! It will pick up the mood of the bond holders laughing all the way home, to a home they most likely pay no tax on.

Seen Mick Wally driving down Westland Row past Pearse station this morning, in his BMW jeep. (Amazingly, he wasn't driving into oncoming traffic this time)

Nice to see the downtrodden working class hero can still afford to keep his jeep on the road by not paying his taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Seen Mick Wally driving down Westland Row past Pearse station this morning, in his BMW jeep. (Amazingly, he was driving into oncoming traffic this time)

Nice to see the downtrodden working class hero can still afford to keep his jeep on the road by not paying his taxes.

He doesnt pay into his employees pensions either which helps keep the auld jeep on the road.

Wonder if he's paid his road tax on that? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

You'll end up paying your tax, along with whatever fines are applicable.

Property taxes are happening regardless of your opinion of the govt and their 'manners'. We need to build a sustainable revenue model, and property tax forms a part of that model.

alastair wrote: »
    You'll end up paying your tax, along with whatever fines are applicable.

Property taxes are happening regardless of your opinion of the govt and their 'manners'. We need to build a sustainable revenue model, and property tax forms a part of that model.

The household charge is NOT a property tax, as has been mentioned countless times throughout this thread. The property tax to replace the household charge is expected to be coming online in 2014.

Anger at the government prevents them from completely destroying everything. Imagine if everyone smiled at every tax and charge the government piled on top of us. We would live in a very different place. The rich would be telling us all that their money comes from lucky horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Good luck with that.

Water in a rain barrel is not suitable for drinking, without reverse osmosis and/or UV filtering. Also rain water picks up chemicals from your roof as it goes down your drain.

Its a wonder we survived before the 20th century

Reverse osmosis discovered in 18th one, but viable in 20th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

Can anyone show me the service contract I signed to get these services? I can't seem to be able to locate it.

goz83 wrote: »
    The household charge is NOT a property tax, as has been mentioned countless times throughout this thread. The property tax to replace the household charge is expected to be coming online in 2014.

Anger at the government prevents them from completely destroying everything. Imagine if everyone smiled at every tax and charge the government piled on top of us. We would live in a very different place. The rich would be telling us all that their money comes from lucky horses.

The household charge is obviously a property tax. It's a flat rate property tax, to be replaced with a tiered rate property tax - two kinds of property tax.

Anger isn't going to sway the need to rebuild our revenue structures - sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

What about all the chemicals our local water suppliers put in the water ? Fluroide etc. Some people should really think first before they sprout nonsense to others.

Can anyone show me the service contract I signed to get these services? I can't seem to be able to locate it.

You'll find it beside the contract Enda & Phil signed with the Germans and Satan to suck the lives from our bodies.

They failed with two world wars, so they moved to politics and via the european union they now have a great deal of the power they sought in the past. Better to spend money on banks than on tanks eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'll consider my next move when the court summons is in my hand.

Time to make a stand now. I'm done paying makey uppy taxes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

Shenshen wrote: »
    It's €100, that's around €8.33 a month.

I'm finding it absolutely baffling how people can get worked up over this, yet will happily spend as much on a single drink on a night out....

Get a grip. Seriously.

I am poor and I do not drink. I am not a civil servant - so money to me is not something which just magically appears thanks to the Partnership Fairy.

Believe it or not that's a meaningful sum of money in my world.

Maybe not yours at whatever Government department you have a job for life.

• Advertisement

I'll consider my next move when the court summons is in my hand.

Time to make a stand now. I'm done paying makey uppy taxes.

I think you'll find all taxes are 'makey uppy'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement