Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

woman tries to jump consultants waiting list.

Options
  • 19-03-2012 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

I had an outpatient appointment in Galway last week and I was shocked and frankly, bloody disgusted by the attitude of a lady who tried to skip the waiting list. She walked into a packed waiting room full of public patients, everyone of whom, including myself, had been on the waiting list and we'd had to wait our turn on a long list to see a consultant.

She just walked in and demanded to be seen by a consultant. She had no referral and her GP hadn't written to request a consultation for her, she just seemed to feel that she is more important than everyone else. The real kicker was that she is Polish and started ranting that if she was in Poland she would be seen straight away and about how much better the Polish health service is. Well feck off back to the mother country love.

As if that weren't enough, judging by the row she was having with the nurse, the cheeky bitch had pulled exactly the same stunt the day before and the same nurse had explained the way things work to her the previous day. People with that attitude really piss me off. I've known people who've had to wait 3 years to see a consultant.

Has anyone else come across this before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

In fairness, it might have been a serious emergency.

Those swan bones can really get stuck in your throat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Perhaps her GP shuld have written her a plane ticket back to Poland if their health service is so good

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Was it a consultant for anger issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Wow you certainly are an angry kitten!
    I've known people who've had to wait 3 years to see a consultant.

That's what you should be angry about! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

I should have said it was a neurology clinic, we have precious few of those in the country and the waiting lists are very long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Has anyone else come across this before.

So the real kicker was the nationality?? I hear you're a racist now father.

Theres clearly a lot of anger in this thread

Sindri wrote: »
    Wow you certainly are an angry kitten!

That's what you should be angry about! :eek:
    I am angry about it, it makes me even angrier when people take the piss and try to pull stunts like she did.

So the real kicker was the nationality?? I hear you're a racist now father.
    Nice try but I'm not biting.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Consultant psychiatrist i'd guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

The real kicker was that she is Polish and started ranting that if she was in Poland she would be seen straight away

I call BS on this - there are waiting lists there just as long if not longer. Unless you pay of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

In fairness, it might have been a serious emergency.

Those swan bones can really get stuck in your throat.

Quality :D

Post of the day, I logged in just to thank it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Theres clearly a lot of anger in this thread

As posted by ...whats the name again? :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

What a racket the consultants have, I had to see one over some bald patches in my hair, I thought it was an emergency but I would have to wait 18 months on the public list, so I went private and got an appointment 3 weeks later.

There was a mix up and the nurse gave me another appointment so she squeezed me in. I arrived and I was number 21 so I assume the consultant sees 20 patients on her clinic days.

So I got to see her at 1215 I was in with her for about 30 minutes and to her credit the treatment she gave worked. Then at the end she said now I have to go over and do my public work in Beaumont (I seen her in Beaumont private). That visit cost me 220euro.

So she has 4 clinics a week which is 20*220*4= 17600 then she gets her half a million salary from the the public system.

It nearly turned me into a communist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Nice try but I'm not biting.:D

ah go on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

FatherLen wrote: »
    ah go on.

Now Father Len, you'll get another boot up the you know where! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This won't end well angry kitten.
    Is this some continuation of your "Queue jumping/bad customer service" thread before the weekend?

Biggins wrote: »
    As posted by ...whats the name again? :D;)

Thats what I was getting at.

Bollixes women and cats are all going ape today

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

I dont see anything wrong with expecting to see a consultant when you need to . The problem is we have always dipped the knee to the medical profession and paid far to much to them in the process. Perhaps she is used to dealing with the medical profession where they are not treated and act like gods . If they were not a vested interest whose numbers are controlled ie protected by themselves , then we would have plenty more and less waiting lists.

biko wrote: »
    Is this some continuation of your "Queue jumping/bad customer service" thread before the weekend?

No, I'm just remarking on an experience that I had at a hospital last week. I'm curious if people trying to walk into see a consultant without an appointment is a common thing in Ireland these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

biko wrote: »

I was thinking it was a follow up to the one about the black gentleman knocking on her door. Really forners should all go back home. Thank God the Irish don't emigrate and when we do we have he manners to assimilate into the communities we join and act as ambassadors for our mother country.

Everybody else should try to be more like us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If she was better looking than you, you should have let her skip. Fair's fair.

Darsad wrote: »
    I dont see anything wrong with expecting to see a consultant when you need to . The problem is we have always dipped the knee to the medical profession and paid far to much to them in the process. Perhaps she is used to dealing with the medical profession where they are not treated and act like gods . If they were not a vested interest whose numbers are controlled ie protected by themselves , then we would have plenty more and less waiting lists.

Well if you need to see a consultant then you go on the list like everyone else, whether that be the private or public list. What you don't do is swan in and try to get ahead of everyone else because you don't want to wait your turn. I was shocked to see this stunt as I've never come across it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I am angry about it, it makes me even angrier when Polish people take the piss and try to pull stunts like she did.

FYP!

Well if you need to see a consultant then you go on the list like everyone else, whether that be the private or public list. What you don't do is swan in and try to get ahead of everyone else because you don't want to wait your turn. I was shocked to see this stunt as I've never come across it before.

very good haha, you ain't as stupid as you sound

forfuxsake wrote: »
    I was thinking it was a follow up to the one about the black gentleman knocking on her door. Really forners should all go back home. Thank God the Irish don't emigrate and when we do we have he manners to assimilate into the communities we join and act as ambassadors for our mother country.

Everybody else should try to be more like us.

Well she is Polish, she did try to jump the waiting list and she does believe that Poland has a better health service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Bet the story is bullsh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Well she is Polish, she did try to jump the waiting list and she does believe that Poland has a better health service.

I hope someone told her to go back to Poland then. She won't be getting the benefits there that she gets here. Just wants the best of everything... for nothing..

Dudess wrote: »
    Bet the story is bullsh1t.

It sounds it, I lived in Poland for a long time and had to wait a long time or pay to see a consultant. (mind you paying €18 seemed reasonable)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

In fairness to her, the Irish medical system is a joke. I was in SA and had an accident where I broke a bone on a Saturday. I was seen in 25 min.

If I was in Ireland I would have been there all night.

Advertisement