Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

byrnefm wrote: »
    Hi,

I moved over to Tesco Mobile last weekend and am slowly getting used to the small differences between them and O2. I have a few questions though on things I couldn't work out or find on this (long!) thread:

1) What UK networks do I have access to? I tried roaming on Orange yesterday but my phone reported 'No Access'. It was the only UK network available to me during the few brief minutes in question.

2) How do you call your voicemail when abroad and how can you tell if it has been activated?

3) I tried sending an MMS to a UK mobile number but was not able to. Can MMSes only be sent to Irish mobiles?

Btw - am very happy with the service so far, especially the pricing in comparison with O2!

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, missed this last night.

1. Our preferred partner is O2 UK. But if you go into our SIM Menu there is an option to switch to "Belgacom IMSI" which will allow you to access other operators through our roaming partner. This normally happens by default without you having to do anything but in the UK O2 UK is embedded in the SIM as preferred partner.

2. Activate your voicemail though 172. Access through 171. This will work when abroad.

3. Yes, we dont offer international MMS yet.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply to my questions above!
    1. Our preferred partner is O2 UK. But if you go into our SIM Menu there is an option to switch to "Belgacom IMSI" which will allow you to access other operators through our roaming partner. This normally happens by default without you having to do anything but in the UK O2 UK is embedded in the SIM as preferred partner.

I hadn't seen this sort of feature before in a SIM - I checked and found the Belgacom option. I noticed that if I select that while in Ireland, I end up with no network at all ;) TBH being able to roam on O2 UK by default should be fine for the majority of any time I'm roaming in the UK.

byrnefm wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply to my questions above!

I hadn't seen this sort of feature before in a SIM - I checked and found the Belgacom option. I noticed that if I select that while in Ireland, I end up with no network at all ;) TBH being able to roam on O2 UK by default should be fine for the majority of any time I'm roaming in the UK.

Yes, its handy on older phones as we can put USSD and Text based apps in a menu format for customers e.g. voucher topup, balance check, customer care call etc.

Yes, the IMSI switch wont work in Ireland - the Belgacom IMSI thing is a roaming feature only. The SIM automatically does this switch normally if it cant find a preferred direct partner when roaming but in the UK its doesnt (we are looking to fix this in future SIM profiles)

cheers
    Paul

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Since May of last year when I became a Tescomobile customer, I've been trying to get the unlock codes for two Nokia phones from my previous supplier. Despite promises, (and threats from me) they have never been supplied. I have now been forced to use an alternative (and costly) method of making the handsets SIM free. Does Tescomobile have any objection to these phones being connected to your network?

mathepac wrote: »
    Since May of last year when I became a Tescomobile customer, I've been trying to get the unlock codes for two Nokia phones from my previous supplier. Despite promises, (and threats from me) they have never been supplied. I have now been forced to use an alternative (and costly) method of making the handsets SIM free. Does Tescomobile have any objection to these phones being connected to your network?

No we don't, as long as its unlocked all should be fine.

You can apply our data and MMS settigns here automatically once you have a Tesco Mobile SIM in the phone.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/helpandsupport/phone-settings.aspx

regards
    Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭vicM

Good morning Paul,
    My wife recently moved to Tesco. about 2 Weeks ago she got a data bundle for a week and everything was grand, after that though she noticed her credit being wiped out and on investigation data usage sends to be the culprit.now I know smartphones use up data in the background but we thought there would be no data access if there is no bundle,a fact as there seems to be no out of bundle pricing on your website
    Kindly advice

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cyril706

tesco should really work on their wap connection. I bought i 1g bundle, but it's just unstable. like this morning, it was okey at beginning, but then i just lost my wap connection with out any reason

Cyril706 wrote: »
    tesco should really work on their wap connection. I bought i 1g bundle, but it's just unstable. like this morning, it was okey at beginning, but then i just lost my wap connection with out any reason

There are data issues on the network at the moment. More info to come shortly..

vicM wrote: »
    Good morning Paul,
    My wife recently moved to Tesco. about 2 Weeks ago she got a data bundle for a week and everything was grand, after that though she noticed her credit being wiped out and on investigation data usage sends to be the culprit.now I know smartphones use up data in the background but we thought there would be no data access if there is no bundle,a fact as there seems to be no out of bundle pricing on your website
    Kindly advice

Hi there

Yes there is data access outside bundle. Pricing is here.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/other-call-charges.aspx

regards
    Paul

OMG, what happened, I coundn't even make a call at this moment.

• Advertisement

Cyril706 wrote: »
    OMG, what happened, I coundn't even make a call at this moment.

There are issues at the moment...more info shortly

regards
    Paul

Hi All

We have experienced a major failure at our data center widely affecting all of our services. Many apologies for the inconvenience this is causing.

We have all resources working to resovle ASAP. I will update more shortly.

regards
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Still down. Any idea when this might be sorted out, at an estimate?

du Maurier wrote: »
    Still down. Any idea when this might be sorted out, at an estimate?

Not yet, but hoping not long now, some services seem to be coming back

regards
    Paul

Hi All

All services are still affected. All resources are deployed on restoring service. Again, many apologies for the inconvenience of this. As soon as I have some information related to time to restore service I will inform.

regards
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Well a brief search (here in boards) has answered what I was going to ask,
    It seems the tesco Network is down, I cant make calls/send texts.

You would think Tesco network would display this issue prominently/obviously on their website as that was my first port of call, then by trying to ring them from a landline which was also unsuccessful.

Although i didnt have too much issue finding this thread, you would think the tesco Network would also have its own sub forum? like the other networks so Network issues could be asked about there and not just in a thread under pda's/mobiles.

Merch wrote: »
    Well a brief search (here in boards) has answered what I was going to ask,
    It seems the tesco Network is down, I cant make calls/send texts.

You would think Tesco network would display this issue prominently/obviously on their website as that was my first port of call, then by trying to ring them from a landline which was also unsuccessful.

Although i didnt have too much issue finding this thread, you would think the tesco Network would also have its own sub forum? like the other networks so Network issues could be asked about there and not just in a thread under pda's/mobiles.

Yes sorry about that. Our website is being updated now and we are opening a talk to forum and Twitter account very shortly. Wish I had it today!

Apologies for the inconvenience of this.

regrads
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I'd say primarily the best place to have info on outages is on the website, and in/near the title of the first page that presents itself upon accessing the website, possibly linking to further details in the help and support tab (as the help and support tab doesnt open initially).
    After that
    I think boards is a good place too,

While Im sure loads of others do, I dont use twitter myself, dont really plan to either, I'm sure it has its advantages in case the website was also affected, (although if the mobile network is down but not the website, how will people be able to access it (Twitter) if they are not at a computer anyway??).

As there isn't much of an update about the issue (ie whats affected) or how long it will be,

I seem to be able to receive calls (called myself from the landline) but cannot make an outgoing call or send a text, I dont know if anyone else has attempted to call me or send me a text and been successful.

Thanks all for your patience so far. The issue is caused by a water leak in the data centre. No ETA yet on full restoration of services but engineers are going thorugh the kit node by node and we are hopeful of some services coming back shortly. regards Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

My first week with Tesco and I've had more problems in that time than I had with O2 in the last few years.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt for the mo, but as I'm on sim-only, rest assured I'll be moving elsewhere if things don't improve.

• Advertisement

Merch wrote: »
    I'd say primarily the best place to have info on outages is on the website, and in/near the title of the first page that presents itself upon accessing the website, possibly linking to further details in the help and support tab (as the help and support tab doesnt open initially).
    After that
    I think boards is a good place too,

While Im sure loads of others do, I dont use twitter myself, dont really plan to either, I'm sure it has its advantages in case the website was also affected, (although if the mobile network is down but not the website, how will people be able to access it (Twitter) if they are not at a computer anyway??).

As there isn't much of an update about the issue (ie whats affected) or how long it will be,

I seem to be able to receive calls (called myself from the landline) but cannot make an outgoing call or send a text, I dont know if anyone else has attempted to call me or send me a text and been successful.

I agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭lir6777

I can get texts from others so that's something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

shamwari wrote: »
    My first week with Tesco and I've had more problems in that time than I had with O2 in the last few years.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt for the mo, but as I'm on sim-only, rest assured I'll be moving elsewhere if things don't improve.

I'm practically the same myself but i think they deserve the benefit of the doubt, these things can happen to any provider at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 oneteu

homeFlash_urgent.gif

Hi All,

We are really sorry for the inconvenience and the length of this outage. It is a freak event with a roof leak and water damage to our kit that has caused the issue. All the required people are on site assessing damage and working out solutions. We are hopeful of a workaround for outbound and inbound voice and text shortly.

regards Paul

Hi All,

calls are at least partially working again. Will update more when I have confirmation from the technical folks.

regards Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I can now make voice calls but can't send texts. Recieving calls seems to be ok too. As disappointing as the outage is, all credit to those toiling behind the scenes as they are clearly working in a difficult situation and under a fair degree pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SMI

Hi All,

We are really sorry for the inconvenience and the length of this outage. It is a freak event with a roof leak and water damage to our kit that has caused the issue. All the required people are on site assessing damage and working out solutions. We are hopeful of a workaround for outbound and inbound voice and text shortly.

regards Paul

Hi Paul,

Could you please throw down a few links to your facebook page and homepage while you are at it.

The outage is extremely disappointing, especially against the backdrop of the issues that my sister is having with your service too (being informed that she is wrongly running up a bill of €400 and it not being resolved yet).
    I have my suspicions that you are having more ongoing problems with your setup that you are letting on, forgive me if I sound cynical but the reason you give that there was a freak leak that damaged your equipment has a whiff of a 'the dog ate my homework' excuse.
    I was debating moving off my rolling monthly contract after the issues my sister was having, this outage could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
    You can't expect people to go about their day properly without the use of a phone never mind doing a bit of work or business. Once the issue is resolved will there be any gesture of good faith to your customers? Some sort of discount or offer?
    I know you are here to liase with us and are fulfilling the message that your boss's want us to hear, be it genuine or not, so I don't have any issue with you per sé but I'm not quite buying the water leak excuse at the moment.
    Could someone at the location take a quick picture of the water damage and workers attempting to fix it and upload it here or on your facebook page. It would help instill some bit of faith in what you are saying.

i cannot sen txtr or make call ouch

• Advertisement

SMI wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

Could you please throw down a few links to your facebook page and homepage while you are at it.

The outage is extremely disappointing, especially against the backdrop of the issues that my sister is having with your service too (being informed that she is wrongly running up a bill of €400 and it not being resolved yet).
    I have my suspicions that you are having more ongoing problems with your setup that you are letting on, forgive me if I sound cynical but the reason you give that there was a freak leak that damaged your equipment has a whiff of a 'the dog ate my homework' excuse.
    I was debating moving off my rolling monthly contract after the issues my sister was having, this outage could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
    You can't expect people to go about their day properly without the use of a phone never mind doing a bit of work or business. Once the issue is resolved will there be any gesture of good faith to your customers? Some sort of discount or offer?
    I know you are here to liase with us and are fulfilling the message that your boss's want us to hear, be it genuine or not, so I don't have any issue with you per sé but I'm not quite buying the water leak excuse at the moment.
    Could someone at the location take a quick picture of the water damage and workers attempting to fix it and upload it here or on your facebook page. It would help instill some bit of faith in what you are saying.

Hi SMI

As unbelievable a reason as it may seem its absolutely true. There was some roof work being performed at the data centre and the roof was pierced and water flooded in over our cage in the data centre. There are engineers from our managed service partners out there presently doing 2 things - 1 trying to restore service ASAP for customers and 2 trying to assess the damage and medium term work needed.

Obviously we are not happy that this could happen at all but post mortems and lessons are for later. For now we are focussed on minimising impact to our customers and getting service in place.

regards
    Paul

Advertisement