Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no Irish " ad in Oz

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Congratulations. You've completely failed to interpret the hypothetical context of my post based on your previous one.

If you want people to interpret your posters in a way that is not obvious, then formulate them better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Would you mind telling me how pointing out the facts is intolerant. If its intolerant to not tolerate racism then yes I suppose I'm intolerant. Most people would find that attitude tolerable.
    You ever been to N.I? That poll seems a bit far fetched.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

In fairness I've never seen any ADs for Ghost parties in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Indeed they do and if you read through my previous posts I am the first to mention the Irish state's treatment of children.

Im not tarring the whole country but I was right in saying that government backed racisim existed in oz until the 1970s. According to a survey of native austrailians 3 out of 4 of them experience racisim in their daily lives.

Thousands of Irish people have gone to Australia and secured work. We are talking about one guy here and this thread has progressed to treatment of Aboriginals - something I personally find deplorable.

Look back on any nation's history and you will see shocking and unfair statistics. Australia is no different, nor is Ireland. It happened and can't be changed, but it doesn't mean that most people agree and support the actions of their governments.

What this guy did was 100% wrong and I am not denying that - how could I?, but put it in perspective.

I am sure there have been similar incidents here (although possibly not brought to the attention of the media) and it obviously doesn't represent the thoughts of the majority of the Irish population.

It is unfortunate that racism exists in every country.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Xavi, i have to say im pretty shocked at your attitude of thinking that allowing this sort of intolerance is okay.

In fact im more than shocked, As an Australian born citizen i am sure you are fully aware of the intolerant attitude such as that displayed by the the owner of the original advert is in huge part contributory to the state of the aboriginal population in Australia today.

Having personally frequented various 'state sponsored' and national gallery exhibitions on both coasts of Australia in relation to the Aboriginal history both ancient and current / modern, it is with complete disdain that i view your attitude.

Its more than sickening to believe that someone can single out a whole nation /race of people and deride them publicy as has been done here by the original advert. And the fact that you think this is acceptable in modern society just because this plank pays tax bills and runs a business.

You should be ashamed to be a moderator of an australian forum with that attitude.

ITS NOT UNDERSTANDABLE

AND

ITS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

KeithAFC wrote: »
    You ever been to N.I? That poll seems a bit far fetched.
    Yeah I'll be taking the research over the anecdote there. And I have indeed been to NI, used to live there for a few years in fact. Nice place and nice people for the most part in my experience, shame it had to let itself down so badly.

I mean you do realise that being the most racist place on earth is a bad thing, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

*NEWSFLASH*
    Racism is worldwide!:rolleyes:

But seriously the amount of Irish in Perth now is becoming a joke.
    Alot of them are letting us down a bucketful. Drunkin, anti-social scumbags.

By the way in Northen Ireland i dont think we are racist...... we just hate everyone.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Thousands of Irish people have gone to Australia and secured work. We are talking about one guy here and this thread has progressed to treatment of Aboriginals - something I personally find deplorable.

Look back on any nation's history and you will see shocking and unfair statistics. Australia is no different, nor is Ireland. It happened and can't be changed, but it doesn't mean that most people agree and support the actions of their governments.

What this guy did was 100% wrong and I am not denying that - how could I?, but put it in perspective.

I am sure there have been similar incidents here (although possibly not brought to the attention of the media) and it obviously doesn't represent the thoughts of the majority of the Irish population.

It is unfortunate that racism exists in every country.

It does indeed my reference to the treatment of the aboriginal people was mentioned as that as is indicitive of the attitude which led to discrimination of those people.

Xavi's attitude also reminds me of the attitude which led to the mistreatment of those people. I dont think all of austrailia is racist but I think we need to cut down this attitude whenever and wherever we find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Yeah I'll be taking the research over the anecdote there. And I have indeed been to NI, used to live there for a few years in fact. Nice place and nice people for the most part in my experience, shame it had to let itself down so badly.

I mean you do realise that being the most racist place on earth is a bad thing, right?
    Plenty of people give money to charities which involves Africa etc. I don't see this poll telling us that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ash23 wrote: »
    Why would they not hire an Irish person because they're Irish? Bigotry doesn't make sense so therefore might very well hire an Irish person and then fire them because of an intolerance they developed to Irish people.

I thought the analogy through but you didn't answer the question. Would you be as willing to shrug it off and say it was their call if it happened to you?

The analogy makes absolutely no sense. You would not be hired as a nationality then fired because of it.
    dlofnep wrote: »
    You supported his right (which doesn't actually exist) to discriminate if he desires, because it is his business. Therefore, you support prejudice.

I didn't support it, I said I understand why he did it for his business.
    Can I get a yes or a no then.

It can't be put much clearer than "Not getting uptight about something doesn't mean you support it" but I'll give you three options which might help you further -

1. No I'm not a supporter of racism; I understand, having lived here for so long, why someone would say 'No Irish' however.

2. Yes I'm a massive racist and I recently started supporting Liverpool.

3. I'm trolling because it's 10 o'clock at night and I've nothing better to do.
    listermint wrote: »
    Xavi, i have to say im pretty shocked at your attitude of thinking that allowing this sort of intolerance is okay.

In fact im more than shocked, As an Australian born citizen i am sure you are fully aware of the intolerant attitude such as that displayed by the the owner of the original advert is in huge part contributory to the state of the aboriginal population in Australia today.

Having personally frequented various 'state sponsored' and national gallery exhibitions on both coasts of Australia in relation to the Aboriginal history both ancient and current / modern, it is with complete disdain that i view your attitude.

Its more than sickening to believe that someone can single out a whole nation /race of people and deride them publicy as has been done here by the original advert. And the fact that you think this is acceptable in modern society just because this plank pays tax bills and runs a business.

You should be ashamed to be a moderator of an australian forum with that attitude.

ITS NOT UNDERSTANDABLE

AND

ITS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Your outrage is admirable. However, I've not supported his actions. I said I can understand why he would do it based on the possibility of negative experiences.

If you and others can't see the fundamental difference then that's your problem.

Come say hi in the Aussie Rules forum sometime, we welcome everyone.

irishmover wrote: »
    Hey, that's one email saved. And they even took their own screenshot too.
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    Plenty of people give money to charities which involves Africa etc. I don't see this poll telling us that.
    Okay Keith, maybe you can organise your own reviewed research and surprise us all. Until such time you and your buddies are doing themselves no favours by coming into threads like these defending open racism. Alright?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    It does indeed my reference to the treatment of the aboriginal people was mentioned as that as is indicitive of the attitude which led to discrimination of those people.

Xavi's attitude also reminds me of the attitude which led to the mistreatment of those people. I dont think all of austrailia is racist but I think we need to cut down this attitude whenever and wherever we find it.

The fact this story is making international news highlights how far the world has moved on. People are rightly outraged.

It was one guy though - and plenty of Irish people have emigrated to Australia and been welcomed. I don't recall a similar story like this in Australia in recent times at all. It is far from commonplace and I think that needs to be highlighted as well.

Again, perspective.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    1. No I'm not a support of racism; I understand, having lived here for so long, why someone would say 'No Irish'.

Why is it so hard to get a straight answer out of you. You came into the thread to defend a racist, now you won't say clearly whether or not you support racism.

That would raise anyone's eyebrow my friend.

Your outrage is admirable. However, I've not supported his actions or anything of a racist nature. I said I can understand why he would do it based on the possibility of negative experiences.

If you and others can't see the fundamental difference then that's your problem.

Come say hi in the Aussie Rules forum sometime, we welcome everyone.

And here is the fundamental problem, You should never be able to 'understand' why someone would single out an entire nation for ridicule.

Its not acceptable Xavi today or ever, its just not. Understanding his attitude is par of the course for wider acceptance of it. Which is the reason why there is laws in place that make this sort of public declaration illegal in the first place.

This lads attitude needs to be stamped out totally from the get go. not 'understood' as you put it. And backing up the 'understanding' with examples is worse.

I suggest you stop while you arent ahead.

Why is it so hard to get a straight answer out of you. You came into the thread to defend a racist, now you won't say clearly whether or not you support racism.

Originally Posted by Xavi6
    1. No I'm not a support of racism; I understand, having lived here for so long, why someone would say 'No Irish'.

?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doc Ruby

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xavi6

?

conflict in terms!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

conflict in terms!!!

What? No it isnt. Understanding something doesn't mean you agree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Look, I gave you a straight answer twice - understanding does not mean supporting.
    And here is the fundamental problem, You should never be able to 'understand' why someone would single out an entire nation for ridicule.

Its not acceptable Xavi today or ever, its just not. Understanding his attitude is par of the course for wider acceptance of it. Which is the reason why there is laws in place that make this sort of public declaration illegal in the first place.

This lads attitude needs to be stamped out totally from the get go. not 'understood' as you put it. And backing up the 'understanding' with examples is worse.

I suggest you stop while you arent ahead.

I can understand abortion, doesn't mean I support it. I can understand why this guy would say 'No Irish' if he's had bad experiences.

It's basic human rationale to dismiss things you've had a bad experience with, whether it's people, products or services.

Putting yourself in someone else's shoes for a second to understand them is a far more open minded attitude then getting out the pitch forks asap.

He is making excuses for it. Actual excuses for it.

Its tantamount to accepting it as a reasonable attitude..

Your move.

• Advertisement

He is making excuses for it. Actual excuses for it.

Its tantamount to accepting it as a reasonable attitude..

Your move.

I believe you are meant to say "your move" after you post a decent argument. Let me know when that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Your move.

Look, I gave you a straight answer twice - understanding does not mean supporting.

I can understand abortion, doesn't mean I support it. I can understand why this guy would say 'No Irish' if he's had bad experiences.

It's basic human rationale to dismiss things you've had a bad experience with, whether it's people, products or services.

Putting yourself in someone else's shoes for a second to understand them is a far more open minded attitude then getting out the pitch forks asap.

No Xavi, im sorry you are wrong.

There are certain things in life you dont make excuses for, and i believe you also said somewhere in your myriad of posts that it was his business he can do what he wants.

So you need to re-examine yourself mate.

Explain this one to me:

I understand, having lived here for so long, why someone would say 'No Blacks'.

Is there any reasonable context in which the above comment might be made, because I can't come up with one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Fecking Aussies, cant stand them:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

A small minority of Fecking Aussies, cant stand them:mad:.

I agree.

Explain this one to me:

I understand, having lived here for so long, why someone would say 'No Blacks'.

Is there any reasonable context in which the above comment might be made, because I can't come up with one.

Yes, he got stung by several people that match descriptions based on ethnicity in a row.

While it may not always be true, it is certainly understandable.

Yes, he got stung by several people that match descriptions based on ethnicity in a row.
    Xavi6 was stung by several Irish people in a row and apparently over a long time? I find that hard to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

The analogy makes absolutely no sense. You would not be hired as a nationality then fired because of it.

It makes no sense not to hired because of your nationality either.
    You're ok with being discriminated against for a job because of your nationality? Are you ok with being refused entry to a pub because of the same? Or being denied promotion because you're Irish and the new manager hates Irish people? Is that all ok?
    You ok with your kids being turned down for jobs because of your roots? Or being denied entry to a "good" school for the same reasons?
    I can give you a million examples. You're just evading answering the questions.

• Advertisement

Fecking Aussies, cant stand them:mad:.

Fecking misers, can't stand them :mad::p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement