Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

As far as Im aware its going to focus on the space jockey and how they created the xenomorphs as a boilogical weapon either to kill off non intelligent life forms on a planet so intelligent life could evolve

The story goes that they were involved in the evolution of humans and we go in search of our creators and ...................**** happens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

PG13?!!! WTF?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

seraphimvc wrote: »
    PG13?!!! WTF?

Studio in bums on seats decision shocker, don't worry, Scott is known for his Directors Cuts.
    It'll just mean you have to watch it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

PG13?!!! WTF?

You can get away with a lot more in PG13 movies these days though.
    I'd obviously prefer it was 18's and all that that implies, but PG13 doesn't worry me the way it would a few years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

PG13?!!! WTF?
    Source?

• Advertisement

I heard he made two versions

Pg13

And

R

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Sin City wrote: »
    I heard he made two versions

Pg13

And

R

Probably made an R version and hacked it down to PG13 in post. Happens a lot these days unfortunately.
    I would not worry too much. You could probably get most of the original Alien into a PG13 film these days. Chest bursting aside of course, but that's not what this film is about anyway.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The only way this could be 18's (NC-17 in the states) is if there's seriously hardcore drug use and graphic sex scenes. It's no big deal that its PG-13, there's no reason this can't be a proper sci-fi movie and PG-13 at the same time.

I think what a lot of people are forgetting is this is not an Alien movie i.e its not humans vs man-eating xenomorphs. We've no idea what kind of film this is going to be so there is no point getting hung up on the ratings imho.

Heck, Land of the Dead was 15PG here and that featured some serious disembowelment, not that I would expect nor particularly want such from Prometheus.
    A lot of people seem to think that making something PG13 automatically makes it a kids movie, which is simply not the case.

Still if its pg13 youll get a lot of kids in the cinema which I hate

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Can't argue with you there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

That can be countered by the time of day you go to see a movie.

They mostly come during the day. Mostly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If it's true, I wouldn't be too upset with the prospect of a PG13 movie; if anything I welcome it. I find in the horror genre the 'R' rating has become too much of a crutch for directors to cake their films with blood & gore, simply to mask a their lack of craft & creativity for proper scares & chills.

A competent director should be able to create scares without resorting to the use of fake blood; a perfect example being one of the better horror films of 2010, 'Insidious', yet it was PG-13.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Squelchy wrote: »
    That can be countered by the time of day you go to see a movie.

They mostly come during the day. Mostly.
    I don't know, went to an evening show of Harry Potter awhile back and they were coming outta the walls, coming outta the goddamn walls!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I don't know, went to an evening show of Harry Potter awhile back and they were coming outta the walls, coming outta the goddamn walls!
    this is what the late show is for , the only time i go to the cinema is the 11.30pm showings:D usually only a dozen adults who really want to see it and wont go playing on phones and talking etc :D

this is what the late show is for , the only time i go to the cinema is the 11.30pm showings:D usually only a dozen adults who really want to see it and wont go playing on phones and talking etc :D

They had to stop this around here because of all the feckin loud drunk teenagers it used to attract. Worse than the kids....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

Well if you find some kids in the cinema I say you take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Mickeroo wrote: »

Thats a new desktop if ever I saw one!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭merlinengine

I think the idea that it might not be about the xenomorphs may possibly be misinformation. If you look at the trailer and go to 0:26 you'll see someone with their helmet covered in acid and that acid didn't get there from eating pussy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H3XpWiMB_E&feature=fvst

On the other hand if there are no xenomorphs it could well be PG13 because the characters won't have anything to tear them to pieces in a really gorey way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

The build up to this film has been excellent. They've shown so much restraint in teasing us with a steady drip of information, but given so little away at the same time. The TED talk blew me away.

I have absolute faith in Ridley Scott on this...I just hope it's the blockbuster of the year (maybe alongside The Dark Knight Rises)!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mr. K wrote: »
    The build up to this film has been excellent. They've shown so much restraint in teasing us with a steady drip of information, but given so little away at the same time. The TED talk blew me away.

I have absolute faith in Ridley Scott on this...I just hope it's the blockbuster of the year (maybe alongside The Dark Knight Rises)!

I agree, with so many movies ruined before you've even stepped into the cinema these days from teasers, trailers, tv spots, superbowl ads, scenes being put on youtube, "first looks', video games, actions figure spoilers etc etc its nice to see a movie that people still dont know what its actually fully about, I've seen the trailer and thats enough, I want to be some bit suprised when I go to it

krudler wrote: »
    I agree, with so many movies ruined before you've even stepped into the cinema these days from teasers, trailers, tv spots, superbowl ads, scenes being put on youtube, "first looks', video games, actions figure spoilers etc etc its nice to see a movie that people still dont know what its actually fully about, I've seen the trailer and thats enough, I want to be some bit suprised when I go to it

That's why I've been avoiding coverage of The Dark Knight. there is so much exposure on that film already I'd hazard a guess that one would be able to decipher the entire plot before the film gets released.
    Prometheus on the other hand is how it should be done IMO. Drip feeding the fans little tiny bits of info, making us ravenous for more! We discuss and pick apart every tiny morsel of information and hearsay that comes our way while the filmmakers gleefully tow is along for the ride. It should ultimately lead to a more rewarding cinema experience for all.

The last movie I went in utterly blind as to its general twists & turns was Super 8: now a lot of the promotional material was equally vague as to what it was about & the nature of the science-fictional menace, but I avoided fora, spoiler posts, chit-chat etc, and subsequently enjoyed the film so much more because I had an intact sense of mystery and wonder. I learnt things as the characters in the film learnt things & made the experience all the more effective.

Between the internet & my general geekiness, it's rare I go into a movie these days without knowing something about the feature; be it general plot, characters, actors, cameos or whatnot. I want to know what I'm getting myself in for, and often that can spoil the freshness and surprise a feature-film may (or may not) have.

So Prometheus has me completely torn; on one hand I want to have another Super 8 experience & enjoy the movie as it happens, fresh & without prior knowledge; a pure cinematic experience that can't be beat. On the other hand, my movie / Alien geekiness demands I learn the truth of this film. I must know! And yet at the same time I don't want to :(

pixelburp wrote: »
    The last movie I went in utterly blind as to its general twists & turns was Super 8: now a lot of the promotional material was equally vague as to what it was about & the nature of the science-fictional menace, but I avoided fora, spoiler posts, chit-chat etc, and subsequently enjoyed the film so much more because I had an intact sense of mystery and wonder. I learnt things as the characters in the film learnt things & made the experience all the more effective.

I feel the same about Super 8. While the film is certainly not without its flaws, it was very refreshing to walk into a movie not knowing exactly what to expect. Ditto for Inception. I avoided previews / reviews like the plague.
    In hindsight there were some incredibly spoilery reviews out there for both movies which I was lucky to avoid. Many newspapers and magazines are particularly guilty of telling you the entire story of the movie in the first few paragraphs and then offering a bit of personal opinion in the end paragraph as a summary. This is not how a movie is supposed to be reviewed and it makes me sad that many professional film critics, people who make a living reviewing films, don't seem to know the very basics of writing a review.

Phew, went on a bit of a tangent there :o

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭merlinengine

Mr. K wrote: »

Me too and I don't think Ridley Scott would have even entertained the idea unless everything was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

This is pretty much the only film I'm looking forward to this year. Please don't be another let down..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The less I hear about this film, the more excited I am about it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Don't think I've seen this posted here yet. It's a "Star Map" or something.

Could contain hints that could be construed as spoilers.

Is that an Alien egg at the front?

https://twitter.com/#!/Prometheus6812/status/177440145526632448/photo/1/large

Edit: Better link - https://www.weylandindustries.com/6EQUJ5/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

red dave wrote: »
    Don't think I've seen this posted here yet. It's a "Star Map" or something.

Post No. 529 above :p

Advertisement