Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Secure watch battery fault

Options
  • 01-03-2012 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

Well.. Battery fault on hkc secure watch house alarm for last few weeks, not urgent but would like to get the battery replaced eventually.

So.. called the installer today and he quoted 150 euro for a call out to do a full system check (includes change of battery) and that I couldn't change it myself.

I also called hkc after and asked them about battery fault and they said it isn't a d.i.y system and to use the professional that installed the system originally.

So my question is - is it actually possible to do it myself and avoid forking out 150 euro? Is 150 a fair charge for a call out on something like this?

I did read through a few other threads with similar problems but they all seemed to be solved through pms!

Cheers,
    Rob

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi Rob . €150 for a call out and service with a battery is a bit steep ok.
    Shop around & you will shave a nice bit off that.
    It is possible to do it yourself if your comfortable with that. The battery you require is 7amp 12 volt DC rechargeable, The best thing to do bring one with you if your heading off to get one.
    There are some suppliers listed on the sticky here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956748
    If you need any help with it you know where to find us.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

I'd be much happier to do it myself. The manuals I could get my hands on for secure watch didn't go into battery faults or how to deal with them though, so I'm a bit at a loss..

If I open up and take out the old battery to bring up to show when getting a new one.. won't that set off the alarm (tamper proofing)? Do I need to shut off mains?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You should turn off the main before opening the panel.
    When you open the panel the alarm will activate. This can be turned off using your code. When you remove the battery the external bell will sound. Close up the panel & turn the mains back on & enter your code again to silence the alarm once more.

thanks. then just about opening the actual panel - are there screws or is it just a click open - hard to tell on mine as much of the outside is encased in paint..

Its just screw on the secure watch.
    Its top centre on the lid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

hollingr wrote: »
    Well..
    So.. called the installer today and he quoted 150 euro for a call out to do a full system check (includes change of battery) and that I couldn't change it myself.

I heard of some company asking for over €300 to change the battery in a HKC system. Even what your installer wants to charge is way off the mark.

Shop around, you dont need the installer of your system to do any work on the system for you.
    Very simple to do yourself also.

yeah they're having a laugh, typical of ye olde rip-off Ireland where people don't shop around and cowboys get away with charging exorbitant amounts. I thought that kind of carry on had largely been put to rest due to lighter wallets these days, but apparently not!

Getting the few simple instructions makes it a very simple d.i.y job...

yeah they're having a laugh, typical of ye olde rip-off Ireland where people don't shop around and cowboys get away with charging exorbitant amounts. I thought that kind of carry on had largely been put to rest due to lighter wallets these days, but apparently not!

Getting the few simple instructions makes it a very simple d.i.y job...

1 minute to change the battery in this system.
    If people are willing to pay or dont know they are being over charged then they are will just pay any amount.

For a company to be charging over €300 they must be getting customers who do pay :eek:

So... I shut off mains, alarm went off.. tried to type in code and it wouldn't work.

So I just took the battery out, then when turned mains back on it went off again.. tried code again but to no avail.

Do you just type 0 (which is I assume just to clear) then the 4 digit code that you use to unset the alarm or is it a different code I needed to use?

I ended up just taking out the fuse for the alarm to stop it going off when the mains is on..

The box was spring loaded on the inside which I assume is the tamper proofing (could that be affecting it going off?, and when I looked at the panel I think the system said something like defaulted or reset system.

So... I shut off mains, alarm went off.. tried to type in code and it wouldn't work.

So I just took the battery out, then when turned mains back on it went off again.. tried code again but to no avail.

Do you just type 0 (which is I assume just to clear) then the 4 digit code that you use to unset the alarm or is it a different code I needed to use?

I ended up just taking out the fuse for the alarm to stop it going off when the mains is on..

The box was spring loaded on the inside which I assume is the tamper proofing (could that be affecting it going off?, and when I looked at the panel I think the system said something like defaulted or reset system.

The 0 at the start of the code is not needed. It is used if the code is entered incorrectly to reset it or start again entering your code.

When you opened the control panel, entering your code should of turned off the alarm.

• Advertisement

strange.. I tried it a few times but to no avail, the code was simply not working. is it possible for the installer to have added in any other extra measures to make it more awkward?

When I put new battery I'm hoping that appeases the system..

strange.. I tried it a few times but to no avail, the code was simply not working. is it possible for the installer to have added in any other extra measures to make it more awkward?

When I put new battery I'm hoping that appeases the system..

The user code should of disarmed the system. Replacing the battery will remove the fault of the low battery. The engineer could set up a tamper reset but it is not as common over here.
    When you closed up the system and entered your user code did that work?

Alt, when I clsoed up the system my password no longer worked.

Seems that when I turned off the mains the whole system reset - so I tried factory setting of 1111, and that worked.

Problem now is I need to reprogram the system - I tested the alarm and the sensors are all working but I just need to:

1. set which door is the front door so that it doesn't immediately set off the alarm when on "part setting"

2. change the code from 1111 to something else!

Hoping this is also something I can do easily enough myself.. Else all my efforts thus far will have been in vain! Any advice or isntructions available on programming the system again?

Easy enough to programme.
    Do you have the enginer manual?

can only seem to find the owners manual which is very basic..

I PMed you the manual.

Alt, when I clsoed up the system my password no longer worked.

Seems that when I turned off the mains the whole system reset - so I tried factory setting of 1111, and that worked.

Problem now is I need to reprogram the system - I tested the alarm and the sensors are all working but I just need to:

1. set which door is the front door so that it doesn't immediately set off the alarm when on "part setting"

2. change the code from 1111 to something else!

Hoping this is also something I can do easily enough myself.. Else all my efforts thus far will have been in vain! Any advice or isntructions available on programming the system again?

I would also check that the JP1 the link in the center of the board in connected. If it is not then when you powered the system down is the reason you lost all the programming.

Zone 1 is the entry/exit route by default on the HKC system.
    If your front door is not on zone 1 then go into the zone menu, yes, zone types, yes, scroll to the zone which the front door is connected too and change it to entry/exit. If zone 1 is not the entry/exit change this to alarm or what ever type corresponds to the sensor installed on it. A panic button will be a panic zone, fire will be a fire zone and so on.

To change the user code go into the users menu, yes, user codes, yes, user 1 yes. Put in the new code, remember the code cant have a 0 or end in a 9. When you put in the code press yes, it will then need to be entered again to verify the code.

In the users menu you can scroll to the engineer code and change this also.

Timers menu to set time and date, internal/external bell times, entry/exit times.

Any other questions let us know.

yes zone 1 is the front front door.. How do I programme it so that when the alarm is set and the front door is open, it beeps quietly for about a minute giving you a chance to type in the code before it goes off? Particularly useful when people arrive home in the wee small hours..

yes zone 1 is the front front door.. How do I programme it so that when the alarm is set and the front door is open, it beeps quietly for about a minute giving you a chance to type in the code before it goes off? Particularly useful when people arrive home in the wee small hours..

Entry/exit is the correct zone type for zone 1. This will give you the beeps for entry.

yeah it was defaulted as E/E, problem was just that the infrared detectors were going off which I fixed using the partguard programming.

altogether a worthwhile endeavour, worth it to know how to prog the alarm and change things around. Perhaps I could start charging people 300euro to change their alarm battery for them now?? :p

all systems go now, thanks for your help guys wouldn't have been able to do it without your guidance.
    If I need something trickier done in the coming years i'll be sure to give one of ye a call.

:)

out of curiosity, what does zone gross and pulse settings do?

• Advertisement

yeah it was defaulted as E/E, problem was just that the infrared detectors were going off which I fixed using the partguard programming.

altogether a worthwhile endeavour, worth it to know how to prog the alarm and change things around. Perhaps I could start charging people 300euro to change their alarm battery for them now?? :p

all systems go now, thanks for your help guys wouldn't have been able to do it without your guidance.
    If I need something trickier done in the coming years i'll be sure to give one of ye a call.

:)

All easy with the right know how :D

The PIR in the hall needs to be set up for access in the zone options.
    What this does is when you open the front door and start the entry/exit timer it will allow access to the keypad to turn off the system without going into alarm. The PIR type needs to be set as alarm.

hmm.. now when I have it set to partguard B and open the front door, the alarm doesn't go off or beep..

I just double checked and zone 1 is set to Excl PGB - NO

what am I doing wrong there?

hmm.. now when I have it set to partguard B and open the front door, the alarm doesn't go off or beep..

I just double checked and zone 1 is set to Excl PGB - NO

what am I doing wrong there?

It should be set to no in either part guard. It should go into entry/exit when you open the door.

I think I know what problem is.. when the front door is open it is not even picking it up as open under any zone..

Pysically disconnect the contact & see if it opens then.

I think I know what problem is.. when the front door is open it is not even picking it up as open under any zone..

Are there resistors fitted? If so you need to change the zone hardware to suit.
    If one resistor, single EOL, if 2 DEOL

altor wrote: »
    Are there resistors fitted? If so you need to change the zone hardware to suit.
    If one resistor, single EOL, if 2 DEOL

sounds like thats the problem, will try it now, thanks.

I actually have a sheet here infront of me from the previous engineer and zone 1 is marked as DEOL.. was wondering what that meant! eureka

sounds like thats the problem, will try it now, thanks.

I actually have a sheet here infront of me from the previous engineer and zone 1 is marked as DEOL.. was wondering what that meant! eureka

Happy days :D

Just noticed your other question:
    out of curiosity, what does zone gross and pulse settings do?

Gross setting is how much force is used on a window, trying to pries it open, banging of the window
    Gross 1 most sensitive, Gross 9 least sensitive.

Pulse setting is the amount of lower level force that is used, cutting of the glass.
    Pulse 1 most sensitive, Pulse 9 least sensitive.

Generally 4-5 for both

For contacts and PIRs the Gross and Pulse should be set to 0

thats it sorted, this time for sure. sneaky zone hardware.. Just tested the system after reprog to correct hardware settings and everything is working now as intended.

thanks again, your services have been invaluable!

• Advertisement

thats it sorted, this time for sure. sneaky zone hardware.. Just tested the system after reprog to correct hardware settings and everything is working now as intended.

thanks again, your services have been invaluable!

Your welcome, any other problems let us know ;)

Advertisement