Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAYE CHISORA BRAWL

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 76 ✭✭RXMPS

Mike Tyson was far from classy, yet when he was fightning he was my favourite fighter by far.

Tyson could back it up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

The Klitschkos are 'boring' primarily because they're not from the english speaking world and because they're so dominant. They're not electrifying fighters by any means but a lot of the criticism is ridiculous. I'm sure they're perceived very differently in Germany and across Eastern Europe. There's a shift of power in boxing. When Mayweather retires you're potentially looking at Andre Ward being the only American fighter in the top 10 P4P list. It's a big change. And unless someone with real knockout power comes along, you're looking at the heavyweight championship being in the hands of 'boring' foreigners for some time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Henno30 wrote: »
    The Klitschkos are 'boring' primarily because they're not from the english speaking world and because they're so dominant. They're not electrifying fighters by any means but a lot of the criticism is ridiculous. I'm sure they're perceived very differently in Germany and across Eastern Europe. There's a shift of power in boxing. When Mayweather retires you're potentially looking at Andre Ward being the only American fighter in the top 10 P4P list. It's a big change. And unless someone with real knockout power comes along, you're looking at the heavyweight championship being in the hands of 'boring' foreigners for some time to come.

It has very little to do with nationality. Both have good enough english and good personalities, while Pacquio showss it's very possible to crack America. As long as a fighter has an engaging style then he can succeed fantastically well.

Simple fact is the Klitschkos have been quantifiable boring because they've been able to fight, for the most part, lop-sided, safety first (especially in Vitali's case) fights because their opponent pool is so shallow and in-capable of seriously testing them. No one can be angry about them not getting enough 'respect' when the best opponent in the entire world Wlad can find is Derreck Chisora.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Syferus wrote: »
    It has very little to do with nationality. Both have good enough english and good personalities, while Pacquio showss it's very possible to crack America. As long as a fighter has an engaging style then he can succeed fantastically well.

Simple fact is the Klitschkos have been quantifiable boring because they've been able to fight, for the most part, lop-sided, safety first (especially in Vitali's case) fights because their opponent pool is so shallow and in-capable of seriously testing them. No one can be angry about them not getting enough 'respect' when the best opponent in the entire world Wlad can find is Derreck Chisora.

Your mixing them up, Wlad can be safety 1st due to his chin not been grade a, it's not as bad as people make out though, Vitali fought chisora and only because they have cleared out the division and are looking elsewhere-just like your mixing them up because you don't know them, the same happens in most English speaking countries.

They should simply forget Haye and Chisora and stick with beaten up the top 10 opponents. But then people wil knock them for beating people the have already beat.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

cowzerp wrote: »
    Your mixing them up, Wlad can be safety 1st due to his chin not been grade a, it's not as bad as people make out though, Vitali fought chisora and only because they have cleared out the division and are looking elsewhere-just like your mixing them up because you don't know them, the same happens in most English speaking countries.

They should simply forget Haye and Chisora and stick with beaten up the top 10 opponents. But then people wil knock them for beating people the have already beat.

I felt that if Solis' left didn't give out on him he would have brought a fight to Vitali. Solis is coming back. Plus Chris Arreola is cutting down the weight, he's down to 230-235lbs.

There are some good matches out there still.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭pacquiao

walshb wrote: »
    I think he would have a case for self defence. You cannot know if it was an attempted glassing or not. Only Haye's mind knows this. For all we know he could well have intended to connect with that bottle while throwing the punch.
    you're missing the point.david haye is a snake. we alll know that.he is so clever, he disguised the punch by keeping the glass in his hand acting casual and then surprising chisora . he didn't put the glass down as that would have been telegraphing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

pacquiao wrote: »
    you're missing the point.david haye is a snake. we alll know that.he is so clever, he disguised the punch by keeping the glass in his hand acting casual and then surprising chisora . he didn't put the glass down as that would have been telegraphing it.

But what is your point? Am I to infer from your post that you believe Haye did intend to strike Chisora with his fist AND the bottle?

All I said is that it looked unlikely that he intended to glass him, but, only he can know this, and doing what he did, I wouldn't be suprised if it was his intention, or if folks thought that it was his intention.

Ok, I understand where you are coming from. And, that is a good point about the disguise, but, again, that is speculation. He is the only one who knows what his intention was. So, to do what he did will lead some to question his actual intentions in throwing a punch whilst holding a glass bottle in your striking hand.

Ok, I understand where you are coming from. And, that is a good point about the disguise, but, again, that is speculation. He is the only one who knows what his intention was. So, to do what he did will lead some to question his actual intentions in throwing a punch whilst holding a glass bottle in your striking hand.
    That is exactly what he was thinking. He was smart enough to throw the first punch ,most people aren't. It's like the guy who walks towards you aggresively saying i don't want to fight with open arms and then he knocks you onto the ground and kicks you in the head. Seen it a million times. If on the other hand he said i don't want to fight and he was walking backwards using those open hand gestures then he isn't much of a threat. But when someone comes up to your face ,you either hit him, or you might be off to the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There are some good matches out there still.

Klitschko v Klitschko should of been mandatory :D

• Advertisement

pacquiao wrote: »
    That is exactly what he was thinking. He was smart enough to throw the first punch ,most people aren't. It's like the guy who walks towards you aggresively saying i don't want to fight with open arms and then he knocks you onto the ground and kicks you in the head. Seen it a million times. If on the other hand he said i don't want to fight and he was walking backwards using those open hand gestures then he isn't much of a threat. But when someone comes up to your face ,you either hit him, or you might be off to the hospital.

And, in saying this, Haye was not the man going forward and approaching. It was Chisora who did this, and after he had threatened to slap Haye. Haye was IMO well within his rights to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

In my opinion, the Klitschkos are two of the greatest representatives boxing has ever had. They have huge respect for the sport, their opponents, the media and a massive sense of responsiblity that goes with their positions.

They don't trash talk, they don't refuse interviews or demand focus. They would be the first to congratulate someone who beat them and they are fantastic fighters both.

It's a real shame that they aren't recognised by the public at large as the huge positive role models that they are, talented, educated, articulate and respectful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

When boxers trashtalk it is only in the name of the sport. Muhammad Ali trash talked, but people don't knock him for it a lot.

Plus while Haye and Chisora were brawling, Wladimir was standing on top of a desk giving thumbs up. I don't know how "classy" that is.

When boxers trashtalk it is only in the name of the sport. Muhammad Ali trash talked, but people don't knock him for it a lot.

Plus while Haye and Chisora were brawling, Wladimir was standing on top of a desk giving thumbs up. I don't know how "classy" that is.

Nobody said they were angels, but considering that the two men brawling are tits, and were tits to the Klits, what's the matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Had to check i was in the right forum there with all the talk of tits and klits!

They where glad to see two classless individuals show themselves for what they are-this is after been spat on, slapped etc

How anyone can try knock them is beyond me

And, in saying this, Haye was not the man going forward and approaching. It was Chisora who did this, and after he had threatened to slap Haye. Haye was IMO well within his rights to act.
    Agree totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Give it 20 or 30 years & see how they are remembered against the likes of the greats - they won't be. Great boxers are fighters. They have faced epic battles against the best opponents & no one gives a fart as to whether they are nice gentlemen or not.

People are getting carried away with the hype that has always been there. Anyone who has watched interviews with Ali, Foreman, Frazier etc will hear how the hype was planned & how they now joke about it. Ali even went to jail branded as a coward yet now he is the most revered sportsman in the world

Sportsmen are also entertainers. The build up to any event & the memories afterwards always last far longer than the event itself. We need a new exciting heavyweight to breath some life into the division.

Why?

You have been very critical of Rocky, and base it on him lacking skill, and fighting bums and weak opposition. Well, many think that the likes of Chisora, Williams, 39 year old Briggs, Haye, Adamek, Kirk Johnson etc are weak opposition.

Also, both Klits, although very effective, mainly due to size and talent, could look very cumbersome and awkward. Vitali's footowork is pretty average. They are skilled, competent, but where is it so much more evident with them as opposed to Rocky? At least Rocky had an inside game. Very very good one too. The Klits were very very predictable. Jab, jab, jab, right cross, repeat! Effective? Yes. As skilled as Rocky's game? No.

Rocky to me throws far better varied punches than both.

And, Rocky came to kill all the time. Non stop wanting to kill, which to many, me included, is a far more appealing style than the Klits, who have been very cautious, reluctant and in safe mode. Not all the time, but plenty of times.

I brought in Rocky merley to point out that the Klits getting criticised, or not praised enough, does not surprise me.

If Rocky can get badly criticised, then so can the Klits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

BAN THEM BOTH

• Advertisement

Rockys opponents where poor! he had awful technique and had no outside game, he was technically crude in all areas and relied on big power or he would lose-I'm not discussing rocky here as I have put lots of facts up about him and his poor opposition, aswell as how he lost an amateur fight during his pro career and most people feel he lost as a pro but his opponent was robbed. Vitali has only lost by injuries and was ahead in both fights. Plus most everyone has conceded that if they where to fight Vitali would win, and before people mention size Vitali fighting back then with rocky was a perfectly legal fight.

Rockys opponents where poor! he had awful technique and had no outside game, he was technically crude in all areas and relied on big power or he would lose-I'm not discussing rocky here as I have put lots of facts up about him and his poor opposition, aswell as how he lost an amateur fight during his pro career and most people feel he lost as a pro but his opponent was robbed. Vitali has only lost by injuries and was ahead in both fights. Plus most everyone has conceded that if they where to fight Vitali would win, and before people mention size Vitali fighting back then with rocky was a perfectly legal fight.

Yes, in your eyes all this is true. But, in many others eyes, this is true with Klits. Hence, why are you suprised anyone knocks the Klits?

The Klits are very decent HWs, but they are far from beyond criticism. It's like you are refusing to hear anyone criticise them, yet you openly criticise other great HW champs.

I really find it odd that you would find it odd that folks could knock them. Many would say the same about your knocking Rocky. "How can you knock Rocky?"

This comes from a fight fan who appreciates both Rocky and the Klits. I was not posting to bring up Rocky, or Rocky vs. the Klits. I was using him as an example as regards your finding it odd that anyone can knock the Klits.

I would bet that if a poll was conducted from real fight fans, writers, historians and boxing afficionados, Rocky would poll better than the Klits in p4p and HW greatness. Hence, why I find it odd that you think the Klits receiving criticism is odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tryingmybestt

Marciano's legacy is much better than either of the klitschko's

Marciano's exciting reign as champion is much better than any of the Klitschko's

Marciano overcame many more obstacles than the Klitschkos' such as small, very short arms, cut very easily etc.

Marciao had amazing power and balance

Marciano also had great stamina and toughness

Many ppl rate these qualities highest when it comes to professional boxing

Some ppl can't see the wood from the trees and are trying to play the race card when it comes to ppl saying the Klitschkos are boring etc.

It's nothing to do with race, nationality etc.

It's all to do with personality, fighting style !

Yes, in your eyes all this is true. But, in many others eyes, this is true with Klits. Hence, why are you suprised anyone knocks the Klits?

The Klits are very decent HWs, but they are far from beyond criticism. It's like you are refusing to hear anyone criticise them, yet you openly criticise other great HW champs.

I really find it odd that you would find it odd that folks could knock them. Many would say the same about your knocking Rocky. "How can you knock Rocky?" .

What I questioned was nothing to do with questioning his skills, it was questioning their class during the haye chisora incident-read back and you'll realise that.

Rocky by all means was a classy fella out of the ring, this I'm not disputing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Marciano's legacy is much better than either of the klitschko's

Marciano's exciting reign as champion is much better than any of the Klitschko's

Marciano overcame many more obstacles than the Klitschkos' such as small, very short arms, cut very easily etc.

Marciao had amazing power and balance

Marciano also had great stamina and toughness

Many ppl rate these qualities highest when it comes to professional boxing

Some ppl can't see the wood from the trees and are trying to play the race card when it comes to ppl saying the Klitschkos are boring etc.

It's nothing to do with race, nationality etc.

It's all to do with personality, fighting style !

Of course Rocky was more exciting , and had a more exciting style! That was the style of that era!

The thing is if you post Rocky ( or any great from any past era) vs Vitali today on aboxing forum ( they are usually American forums) , say there is a 100 posters, 80% of posters will say Vitali gets ko'ed no matter who his opponent is , without any explanation about how that happens

Rocky is a legend , but you have to put things into perspective , he is not a heavyweight today, he only had a three year reign lets remember .The fights back then were way more exciting because it was a slug it out to the end fight

Rocky's last fight against an older Archie Moore is swinging left right left right left left right left right left right for a the whole eight rounds. It was all about giving punishment and receiving punishment at the same time , and see who could last longest. Rocky reigned supreme and all the credit to him

What I questioned was nothing to do with questioning his skills, it was questioning their class during the haye chisora incident-read back and you'll realise that.

Rocky by all means was a classy fella out of the ring, this I'm not disputing.

Okey doke, that I agree with. I assumed you were perplexed as to why anyone would be knocking them as regards their talent and skill in the ring. You should have said that after my first rant, Paul. It would have spared you my second rant.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tryingmybestt

sxt wrote: »
    Of course Rocky was more exciting , and had a more exciting style! That was the style of that era!

The thing is if you post Rocky ( or any great from any past era) vs Vitali today on aboxing forum ( they are usually American forums) , say there is a 100 posters, 80% of posters will say Vitali gets ko'ed no matter who his opponent is , without any explanation about how that happens

Rocky is a legend , but you have to put things into perspective , he is not a heavyweight today,

The 'style of that era' was to fight and brawl like rocky...??
    that was the era of joe louis, archie moore, sugar ray etc......rocky was hardly the style of that era!

I would love to see any proof of this wild statement you make.....show me the surveys etc.

Nobody is disputing that rocky wouldn't be a HW today as too small, he would be a cruiser.

rocky did have a great reign as HW champion, FAct!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Again, who approached who? What was Haye to do? Run? He runs and he gets slated. Chisora was the one who instigated the confrontation. Haye did not approach Chisora.

I suspect if someone squared up to you on a night out, you then decided to punch them first, consequently they end up cracking their head off the pavement, your defense of being within your rights to act might not prove too successful in court. Fleeing might be viewed as a better act.

I know that walking away or even running away may be seen as wimpish(unmanly)by you, but i'd wager some people who have found themselves up in court on manslaughter charges, might have wished they or their victim had done just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I suspect if someone squared up to you on a night out, you then decided to punch them first, consequently they end up cracking their head off the pavement, your defense of being within your rights to act might not prove too successful in court. Fleeing might be viewed as a better act.

I know that walking away or even running away may be seen as wimpish(unmanly)by you, but i'd wager some people who have found themselves up in court on manslaughter charges, might have wished they or their victim had done just that.

That's about as extreme an outcome as you could have come up with, don't throw the first punch or you'll kill him.

By your skewed logic you could say by throwing the first punch he potentially could have saved his own life, because if he left the first punch to an animal like Chisora god knows what he may have done!

• Advertisement

I know that walking away or even running away may be seen as wimpish(unmanly)by you, .

No, I never said I thought this. I said Haye would most likely have got slated.

Haye in this situation had no real option but to stay. Now, Chisora approached him aggressively, and Haye acted.
    Security should never have allowed Chisora to get that close, so really it was security who let Haye down here and forced Haye to act.

As regards out in the big bad world, yes, if I thought violence was about to erupt, I would use my fisrt weapon, my legs, to run!

Advertisement