Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Does anyone know what buses or tube you would get from Luton to Brent Cross Shopping Centre? Any idea how much it could/would cost?

There are no Tubes from Luton as it is about 30 miles north of London and the tubes don't go out that far.

However, Luton station is served by a train company called First Capital Connect who provide an excellent service to and from the capital.
    (Unfortunately I can't say the same for their website, which is a total mess in my opinion).

Anyway, to get from Luton to Brent Cross Shopping Centre you can -

(A) Take a train to Hendon, turn right outside Hendon Station and its a 2 minute walk down the Hill to West Hendon Broadway. From here the 142 Bus on the same side of the road will take you to Brent Cross.

Or (B) Get off the train one stop further at Cricklewood, again turn right outside the station and take a two minute walk to Cricklewood Broadway.
    Across the road there are bus stops on routes 189 and C11 serving Brent Cross.

There is a Tube Station called Brent Cross but it is a nightmare of a walk to the shopping centre from it, over motorway footbridges etc. and are no direct connections to it from Luton.

Hendon Central Tube Station is a little further walk (about 15 minutes) but less hassle and signposted. Although again, its not connected to the Luton line.

Any luck with hotels? I'm not much help in that department as I never have to stay in them when I'm in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Lapin wrote: »
    There are no Tubes from Luton as it is about 30 miles north of London and the tubes don't go out that far.

However, Luton station is served by a train company called First Capital Connect who provide an excellent service to and from the capital.
    (Unfortunately I can't say the same for their website, which is a total mess in my opinion).

Anyway, to get from Luton to Brent Cross Shopping Centre you can -

(A) Take a train to Hendon, turn right outside Hendon Station and its a 2 minute walk down the Hill to West Hendon Broadway. From here the 142 Bus on the same side of the road will take you to Brent Cross.

Or (B) Get off the train one stop further at Cricklewood, again turn right outside the station and take a two minute walk to Cricklewood Broadway.
    Across the road there are bus stops on routes 189 and C11 serving Brent Cross.

There is a Tube Station called Brent Cross but it is a nightmare of a walk to the shopping centre from it, over motorway footbridges etc. and are no direct connections to it from Luton.

Hendon Central Tube Station is a little further walk (about 15 minutes) but less hassle and signposted. Although again, its not connected to the Luton line.

Any luck with hotels? I'm not much help in that department as I never have to stay in them when I'm in London.

Thanks a million for this, it is very helpful.

So far I've come across two hotels that are pretty central, my boyfriend is coming over tomorrow to look at more, so hopefully we'll find something.

The two we are looking at are The Comfort Inn and the Best Western Menzies Strathmore.

Comfort Hotel Luton - 1 Mill Street Luton, LU1 2NA England

http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-luton-united_kingdom-GB183

http://www.expedia.ie/Bedfordshire-Hotels-Comfort-Hotel-Luton.h4431503.Hotel-Information?c=b8850c02-50cb-4805-aa02-75eaf04b5d32&&chkin=28/02/2012&hashTag=default&hwrqCacheKey=cb0303fc-3904-4def-a314-bdebc9853feaHWRQ&chkout=03/03/2012&c=58c94f39-ec99-4c34-a1ce-fb0a97e28fa7&rfrr=-30461&rm1=a2&

Best Western Menzies Strathmore - The Mall Arndale Luton, LU1 2TR England

http://www.menzieshotels.co.uk/hotels/luton-hotels/best-western-strathmore

http://www.expedia.ie/Bedfordshire-Hotels-Best-Western-Menzies-Strathmore.h544558.Hotel-Information?c=88e9b290-aecc-4dd5-81c9-22f681bceb67&&chkin=28/02/2012&hashTag=default&hwrqCacheKey=cb0303fc-3904-4def-a314-bdebc9853feaHWRQ&chkout=03/03/2012&c=58c94f39-ec99-4c34-a1ce-fb0a97e28fa7&rfrr=-30461&rm1=a2&

I would love the Icon Hotel, but the cheapest rate I can find is for €400 (€100 per night) which is too expensive.

http://www.iconhotelluton.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Why Brent Cross?

For shopping, there a several better options and as far as places to stay goes, it isn't exactly the nicest part of London.

Why Brent Cross?

For shopping, there a several better options and as far as places to stay goes, it isn't exactly the nicest part of London.
    Personal reasons for going to Brent Cross. Aside from that, I've been to Brent Cross before and quite liked the shopping centre.

As for staying in Luton, I have family who live there and a family member is in hospital there hence our decision to stay there.

I apologise if I come across as rude, it's not intended.

Not rude at all, it just seemed odd. It's a bit like coming to Dublin to visit Liffy Valley!

As previously said, Brent Cross isn't exactly pedestrian friendly. Personally.I would consider hiring a car.

• Advertisement

Not rude at all, it just seemed odd. It's a bit like coming to Dublin to visit Liffy Valley!

As previously said, Brent Cross isn't exactly pedestrian friendly. Personally.I would consider hiring a car.
    Neither my boyfriend or I drive unfortunately so hiring a car isn't an option :(

Might have to give Brent Cross a miss so :( Oh well.

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.

I'm back again.

Looking at heading into the city one of the days and looking on www.nationalrail.co.uk the train fares seem to be cheaper with a rail card.

I've a few questions

1) Can anyone get a rail card?
    2) Can they be purchased online or have they to be purchased at the train station?
    3) Are they valid for one return/single journey, or can they be used for multiple journey's?

With the rail card return train journey's from Luton to Piccadilly Circus are £25.40 for both of us (so £12.70 each) but without a rail card they are £38.40 for both of us (so £19.20 each).

I was looking at this bus tour of London, is it any good? Would you recommend it?

The Original Tour Yellow Route

http://www.theoriginaltour.com/tour-information/tour-routes.htm

It'd save us some time rather than us trying to go around London seeing all the different sights etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

There are various types of railcard but they cost about £25 so you'll only save money by having one if you use the train regularly.

The yellow tour is the best of the 3 available as its the only one with a live commentary and you can ask the tour guide questions. The blue and red tours use headphones with a pre recorded commentary so they're not as interactive. Its a bit pricey but with a boat trip on the Thames included in the price, it offers better value than other tours. That boat trip on the Thames is well worth doing.

I'm curious to know how they can claim to include the changing of the guard on their itinerary. You'll only see this if the bus happens to be passing the palace between 11.30 and midday, but even if you don't see it you haven't missed much. Its very overrated.

I'm back again.

Looking at heading into the city one of the days and looking on www.nationalrail.co.uk the train fares seem to be cheaper with a rail card.

I've a few questions

1) Can anyone get a rail card?
    2) Can they be purchased online or have they to be purchased at the train station?
    3) Are they valid for one return/single journey, or can they be used for multiple journey's?

With the rail card return train journey's from Luton to Piccadilly Circus are £25.40 for both of us (so £12.70 each) but without a rail card they are £38.40 for both of us (so £19.20 each).

I was looking at this bus tour of London, is it any good? Would you recommend it?

The Original Tour Yellow Route

http://www.theoriginaltour.com/tour-information/tour-routes.htm

It'd save us some time rather than us trying to go around London seeing all the different sights etc.

If you travel off peak (usually a train after 9am) you can get an off peak travelcard for £20. Don't confuse this with a rail card, a travel card will cover your return train journey, unlimited use of the underground and DLR and use of london buses.

It is a good hassle free way of travelling.

If you travel off peak (usually a train after 9am) you can get an off peak travelcard for £20. Don't confuse this with a rail card, a travel card will cover your return train journey, unlimited use of the underground and DLR and use of london buses.

It is a good hassle free way of travelling.
    Thanks a million guys.

With a travel card, does it need to be topped up before each journey? Or do I pay a standard amount (eg £20) and then I can use it on the train/tube/bus without any extra charges?

What is DLR?

Where can travel cards be purchased?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Thanks a million guys.

With a travel card, does it need to be topped up before each journey? Or do I pay a standard amount (eg £20) and then I can use it on the train/tube/bus without any extra charges?

What is DLR?

Travel Card is a one off payment.

The one I get, to see London Irish every other week in Reading costs £25.00 valid for 12 months, this means a £15.00 return fare gets reduced to £ 9.50

Also I can buy a ticket for a friend using my Card, so it pays for it self very quickly

Thanks a million guys.

What is DLR?

The DLR is the Docklands Light Railway, which is mainly in east london.

A one day Travel card is just that, return ticket to London and unlimited Tube and Bus use (You might even be able to use the Riverbus as well). When you buy a ticket at a train station, it will be one of the options when you put in your destination.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/travelcards_oyster.html
    Travel Card is a one off payment.

The one I get, to see London Irish every other week in Reading costs £25.00 valid for 12 months, this means a £15.00 return fare gets reduced to £ 9.50

Also I can buy a ticket for a friend using my Card, so it pays for it self very quickly

That's a railcard, not a travel card.

The DLR is the Docklands Light Railway, which is mainly in east london.

A one day Travel card is just that, return ticket to London and unlimited Tube and Bus use (You might even be able to use the Riverbus as well). When you buy a ticket at a train station, it will be one of the options when you put in your destination.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/travelcards_oyster.html

That's a railcard, not a travel card.
    Is it an Oyster card I/we need? Presumably we'd need one each, rather then one for both of us?

Thanks so much for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Is it an Oyster card I/we need? Presumably we'd need one each, rather then one for both of us?

Thanks so much for all your help.

Yes, one Oyster card per person. I strongly recommend the Oyster card - a lot cheaper than buying a tickt each time, much more convenient (so easy to 'touch in and touch out'), and you can hang on to the card for the next time you visit (you don't lose the credit).

Where you can use Oyster: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14869.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

We normally top up our oyster card before we leave so for our next visit it's straight off the plane and onto the tube no messing about.

You can get a one day travelcard from any station, it is different to an oyster card. Oyster won't be valid from Luton.

A travelcard is a one day ticket that you can use on the underground as you would a normal ticket. An Oyster is a prepaid card only valid in London and some commuter stations.

An Oyster is handy if you are only travelling in London and may save you money if you are only making a few journeys, but personally for a one off day trip around London from Luton, I would go for the travel card.

An oyster card is also valid on the bus's, also you don't have to worry about zones, as long as you have enough credit your ok.

roundymac wrote: »
    An oyster card is also valid on the bus's, also you don't have to worry about zones, as long as you have enough credit your ok.

Absolutely. If you are travelling just inside London then nothing beats it, but if you have to catch a train from outside, for example Luton, the Oyster card won't be valid. You would have to pay a return train fare and then the Oyster charges.

For example, an off peak return from Luton to London is £13.70, add a travel card and it is £20. With an Oyster the cap is £7 so it could be slightly more expensive, it could be less depending on how many journeys you make.

Many thanks for all the helpful replies guys.

We will only be travelling into London city one day and then of course returning to Luton that evening, so am I right in saying a one day travel card is all we need?

Many thanks for all the helpful replies guys.

We will only be travelling into London city one day and then of course returning to Luton that evening, so am I right in saying a one day travel card is all we need?

In your case, where it's just a one-off visit for one day, the one-day travelcard is best as it's the simplest option.

For anyone else - staying more than one day, or planning future visits as well - the Oyster is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭daisy100

Hi

Just looking for some recomendations for a hotel in Central London in the summer for general sight- seeing. There are so many i don't know where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

The St Giles is one I always think is very convienant, its right at the end of Oxford street and a short walk to Covent Garden. Failing that I have stayed in the area near Euston Station/St Pancras International which is very handy too (and probably less expensive than the St Giles)

Jurys Inn @ Pentonville Road in the Angel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

daisy100 wrote: »
    Hi

Just looking for some recomendations for a hotel in Central London in the summer for general sight- seeing. There are so many i don't know where to start.

Myself and some mates just got a good deal on the Copthorne Tara - €80 a night so was cheaper than Travelodges/Premier Inns

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g186338-d193138-Reviews-Copthorne_Tara_Hotel_London_Kensington-London_England.html

Also saw some good offers for the Hiltons in London, my folks stayed in the Hilton Olympia last year and got a great deal (think someone on here may have posted it originally).

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Tsaic

Hi guys, sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm a bit confused with the transport system in London. Hopefully someone here can help me out :)

So I'm flying into Gatwick and need to get to Victoria. I've heard that Southern rail is better value that Gatwick express, so we will probably use this. We will be in London for 4 days and heard that the travelcard (or rail card, I cant remember), allows for 2 for 1 on certain attractions.

We will be staying in zone 1, with maybe one trip to zone 2. Can anyone recommend what is the best type of card to buy?

Get an oyster card. It's a swipe card that you can use on bus's as well and it covers all zones. You hold on to the card for your next trip to London, there is no expiry on the credit on your card. Pre book your trips to mademe Tousauds London Eye etc. You will get good prices and beat the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

roundymac wrote: »
    Get an oyster card. It's a swipe card that you can use on bus's as well and it covers all zones. You hold on to the card for your next trip to London, there is no expiry on the credit on your card. Pre book your trips to mademe Tousauds London Eye etc. You will get good prices and beat the queue.
    Do you have any links as to where to get these tickets? Please and thanks.

Raoul wrote: »
    Do you have any links as to where to get these tickets? Please and thanks.

You can get the Oyster card at Tube stations, mainline rail stations and other places. Page on Transport for London site: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14482.aspx

Thanks to all who helped me with trains, tubes, buses etc.

When we went to Brent Cross we ended up getting the train from Luton to Hendon and then getting a bus from Hendon to Brent Cross.

The train from Luton to Hendon was around £22 for each of us and was about 30mins.

Then when we got off the train in Hendon, we had to walk to the main street in Hendon (think it was called High Street, but could be wrong on that) and on the main street we got the 142 bus to Brent Cross, it was less than 5 five minutes and around £5 for two of us, that was single tickets.

The going home from Brent Cross, we got the 186 bus from BC to Edgeware (we were meeting family in Edgeware). It was about 25mins and was around £5 or £7 for two of us (can't remember the exact price).

Then when we went into the city, we got the train from Luton into St. Pancreas Intl and when we came out of St. Pancreas Intl we walked across the road to the Kings Cross underground and got the tube to Oxford Street, which was about 10mins.

We got a one day travel card with unlimited travel on the underground (can't remember if it included buses) and it was just under £20 for the two of us.

We stayed in the Best Western Menzies Strathmore which was about a 3 minute walk from Luton train station. http://www.menzieshotels.co.uk/hotels/luton-hotels/best-western-strathmore

The hotel is NOT sign posted though so it is hard to find. When my dad was driving us to the hotel, we ended up driving around it in a circle so we ended up having to get directions from a taxi.

You have to go up a side/back street which brings you to the hotel, there is a small sign just outside the driveway up to the hotel.

Breakfast in the hotel is £10 per person and isn't worth it, in my opinion. All it is is a buffet breakfast with sausage, rashers, eggs, juices, cereals, etc. You can get the same for cheaper if you go into Luton square/town.

When you come out of the reception area in the hotel, turn right and it brings you to Luton Mall, go down the escalators outside TK Maxx and out the glass doors and you are in Luton town/square.

There's also a lovely Italian restaurant there called Di Niro's, it's not too expensive, it was £24 for both my boyfriend and I, we had one starter two main courses and they gave us free garlic bread.

There is also a Sainsyburys supermarket about a 10-15min walk from the hotel.

Feel free to ask any questions :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Hi guys, any help appreciated.

My OH and I have to go to London next weekend 16th-19th. She's from London so getting around will be OK but I'm wondering about accommodation. I've friends in the Canary Wharf area so was thinking about getting a hotel there. Am I mad? Is it quite far out from "central"?

Advertisement