Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dutch

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

KeithAFC wrote: »
    William of Orange, a great guy.

Never heard of him.... what do you think of the dutch tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

woodoo wrote: »
    Never heard of him

He introduced the colour orange to Ireland.

He's often credited with curing the Irish of vitamin C deficiency as few were willing to eat purple fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The Dutch...well...if you go to the Netherlands as a German football supporter, it's sort dangerous. Went there when Borussia Dortmund played Feyenoord in the UEFA Cup final almost ten years ago, and it wasn't that nice at all :mad:

But that's football, apart from that I never had any issues with the Dutch...maybe one reason is, I'm German and speak a bit Nederlands ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

There's this old proverb......

"If the dutch and the irish changed places

the irish would drown

and the dutch would feed the world"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Ah sure you have, hes the guy who always spraytans himself

The dutch are a lovely bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Personally found the Dutch i've met on my travels very nice people. Played in many international pitch and putt tournaments with them and they take it very seriously on the course but are very friendly people off it. Great bunch for a party too and love their beer,football,darts and plenty of other sports too!

Haven't been over there yet but hope to get to the Dutch Open this year in Bussloo. A lot of the people i've met were from Arnhem.

Not too dissimilar to the Irish i think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Ah now :D, he's the gay guy who married his first cousin, rememba..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Also they have had some great footballers with insane commentators! This is fantasic just wouldn't sound the same with George Hamilton screaming out Robbie Keane,Robbie Keane,Robbie Keane!!!!

http://youtu.be/Uc1H2hOHu_s

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

In Amsterdam years ago and a guy comes up with a knife and says to me "give me 50 guilders or I'll stab you". I knew I only had 100 guilder note so I asked him if he'd change of a 100 hoping to defuse the situation. Top man took the 100 and gave me back a 50.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

They are OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Funny looking fella though wouldn't you say?

http://www.comicbookreligion.com/img/o/o/Oompa_Loompas_2.jpg

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

having lived there for a couple of years, i'd say that they're polite but not friendly, with quite the superiority complex.
    their efficiency is great and makes life easy in all sorts of ways. however with so many immigrants you quickly get the feeling that you're doing all the donkey work and that their system is set up that way to purposefully exploit the foreigner as a cheap asset. in saying that though it might just be the same everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jewett

fryup wrote: »

the irish would drown

That is very apt. Can you imagine Ireland trying to keep a sophisticated
    system of dykes well maintained enough to keep the sea out?
    How the Dutch built a world-class economy on a swampland is quite
    amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Not realy, the Irish built what was the largest hydroelectric plant in the world at one stage

We're not entirely useless though some like to think so

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jewett

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Not realy, the Irish built what was the largest hydroelectric plant in the world at one stage

Yeah with a little bit of help from Siemens who designed and built it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardnacrusha_power_plant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

Germans are great people and have a great sense of humor. I won't entertain this German bashing. What do people have against them. An amazing country by all accounts!!!

Well I'm not bashing all German people. I'm sure most are great and some (I would assume) have a great sense of humour. Believe me when I tell you that that German woman I knew was an absolute head wreck. So much so that when I hear the accent I get flashbacks!

I gave her a DVD of the first series of "The Office" (the Ricky Gervais Version) and when I asked her what she thought of it she told me that she didn't find it funny. When I asked her what she thought of the David Brent charcter she replied, "I hate him". When I asked her what she thought was funny she said "Mr. Bean".:confused:

A sense of humour is completely subjective, but if I was talking to someone who preferred "Mr. Bean" over "The Office".....? I'm sure the're are some Dutch people who like "Mr. Bean" but the same rule applies. Unless the're female and good looking.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

fryup wrote: »

the irish would drown

An old one but a good one ,with some element of truth to it .

Indeed ,like today is the 50th annivarsary of the space flight by John Glen at NASA and who was the man responsible for pressing the button to that 'Lift Off ' and many other NASA space flghts ? ...why none other than an Irishman named O Malley - fact :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭gk5000

We'll I'd be enclinded to trust an Irish Soldier/Peace Keeper more than the Dutch anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srebrenica_massacre

However one to remember if you really want to piss off an arrogant Dutch person is:
    Ask seriously as you can: Do you ever go hillwalking in Holland? It's a subtle insult as the place is so flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

A lot of people have mentioned how polite the Dutch are. Id completely agree, even the police have "polite" written on the back of their jackets.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Latchy wrote: »
    Indeed ,like today is the 50th annivarsary of the space flight by John Glen at NASA and who was the man responsible for pressing the button to that 'Lift Off ' and many other NASA space flghts ? ...why none other than an Irishman named O Malley - fact :cool:

When you say an Irishman, you mean an American, born in America to Irish parents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.J._O'Malley

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Poor man's Germany,and they know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    When you say an Irishman, you mean an American, born in America to Irish parents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.J._O'Malley
    Yea we wont split hairs here .

Irish American T J O'Malley

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

just never walk past them on their right , or you'll suffer , boy will you suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I have only ever met really nice Dutch people. I know 5 individuals very well. All slim, medium to tall. decent looking, not sexually deviant (that I know of!) All very positive attitudes, good to spend time with ..
    Have been to Holland several times. People in shops and hotels all very efficient and pleasant... Big thumbs up to the Dutch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

A nice gay Dutch guy sold me a blue t-shirt with a UFO on it in Germany. True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shiroki

I'm half dutch and lived there for the first seven years of my life. I absolutely loved it and had so many great memories from my time there. I'm 18 now and was just there in july. The entire country is crazy efficient but the people are cold fvckers. It's a massively materialistic culture and seriously judgmental, this was made worse because of us living in a small town, so if you did something they didn't like everyone knew about it and they weren't subtle in letting you know about it. And the phrase going dutch is no exaggeration either, they're some of the tightest people on this planet. I guess because of us living in a small town these things were amplified but visiting there as an adult really opens up your eyes to how nasty and petty the dutch are and some of the stories my mam has are off the wall. Birds are class though, girl I got with wouldn't give blowjobs though the stingy ****, just goes to show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

With help from the Weimar Republic and Siemens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

They speak great English.

My Granny has a Dutch maiden name. So therefore I am Dutch. Huzzah!

Advertisement