Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Facts that go against the grain completely

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Grains have high levels of phytic acid, a substance that reduces our absorption of minerals such as calcium, iron, zinc, and magnesium.

..and lots more anti-nutrients like glutens, protease inhibitors, lectins etc.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Britain is the only country in the world that doesn't have its name on postage stamps.

The British are the biggest per capita consumers of chocolate in the world and Britain has a greater variety of chocolate bars and treats on sale than any other country in the world.

In 1945, a flock of starlings landed on the minute hand of Big Ben and put the time back by five minutes.

There are more chickens than humans in England.

3 Brits die each year testing if a 9v battery works on their tongue.

142 Brits were injured in 1999 by not removing all pins from new shirts.

58 Brits are injured each year by using sharp knives instead of screwdrivers.

31 Brits have died since 1996 by watering their Christmas tree while the fairy lights were plugged in.

19 Brits have died in the last 3 years believing that Christmas decorations were chocolate.

British Hospitals reported 4 broken arms last year after Xmas cracker-pulling accidents.

18 Brits had serious burns in 2000 trying on a new jumper with a lit cigarette in their mouth.

A massive 543 Brits were admitted to A&E in the last two years after trying to open bottles of beer with their teeth.

5 Brits were injured last year in accidents involving out-of-control Scalextric cars.

In 2000 eight Brits were admitted to hospital with fractured skulls incurred whilst throwing up into the toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Could you die from too much oxygen?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

British people aren't very clever, are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Batsy wrote: »
    Britain is the only country in the world that doesn't have its name on postage stamps.

The British are the biggest per capita consumers of chocolate in the world and Britain has a greater variety of chocolate bars and treats on sale than any other country in the world.

In 1945, a flock of starlings landed on the minute hand of Big Ben and put the time back by five minutes.

31 Brits have died since 1996 by watering their Christmas tree while the fairy lights were plugged in.

19 Brits have died in the last 3 years believing that Christmas decorations were chocolate.

British Hospitals reported 4 broken arms last year after Xmas cracker-pulling accidents.

18 Brits had serious burns in 2000 trying on a new jumper with a lit cigarette in their mouth.

A massive 543 Brits were admitted to A&E in the last two years after trying to open bottles of beer with their teeth.

5 Brits were injured last year in accidents involving out-of-control Scalextric cars.

In 2000 eight Brits were admitted to hospital with fractured skulls incurred whilst throwing up into the toilet.

Blah blah blah, Britain is the only country in the world to have the highest ratio of idiots per capita to Nobel laureates!

FACT!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Interesting, I don't know the figures but the most dangerous thing in your house is the stairs.

44leto wrote: »
    Interesting, I don't know the figures but the most dangerous thing in your house is the stairs.

The most dangerous thing in your house, maybe
    The most dangerous thing in my house is my kukri knife

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

But you are still more likely to get injured using your stairs then your knife,,Or are you,, I would imagine more people are injured with kitchen knives then stairs, maybe I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

I challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

But you are still more likely to get injured using your stairs then your knife,,Or are you,, I would imagine more people are injured with kitchen knives then stairs, maybe I am wrong.
    I'd say it's about equal. I've stabbed myself with knives and fallen down the stairs roughly an equal number of times, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

The surface of the Earth is smoother than the surface of a snooker ball (if both were at the same scale).

Hogwash

It's a silly thing to say anyway. More people in the US are killed by vending machines every year than by sharks. Does that mean a vending machine is more dangerous than a shark?

seamus wrote: »
    I'd say it's about equal. I've stabbed myself with knives and fallen down the stairs roughly an equal number of times, I think.

Yeah when you put it like that, also when you injure yourself with a knife, its usually ouch BOLLOX where's the plasters, but with the stairs its more fkuc I think I've broken something. Drink its a terrible thing.

It's a silly thing to say anyway. More people in the US are killed by vending machines every year than by sharks. Does that mean a vending machine is more dangerous than a shark?

No it just means more people have access to vending machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Hogwash

Maybe considering the size of the oceans?

The most dangerous thing in my house is the wife!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Hogwash
    There's only one thing stupider than people posting "facts" that are bullshit, and that's people calling real facts false without actually doing any checking to see if they are actually false

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

So why do we drive on the left

Because driving on the left is safer than driving on the right.

It's one reason why British roads are the safest in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Sindri wrote: »
    Abbey Road?

Is not in the City of London

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Inch Strand in Co. Kerry is, well, a bit longer...
    And while we're on the length subject:
    Why are women such bad drivers?

Because men keep on telling them that |
    | is six inches!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Hogwash
    It is fairly true, if you had very sensitive fingers you just might be able to feel a tiny little bump where Kilimanjaro is and an very slight roughness where the Himalayas are. Hawaii might interfere with your game though.
    Also, even though the Earth isn't a perfect sphere it is actually within the tolerances to be a snooker ball.

Originally Posted by bob the bob viewpost.gif
    Can you elaborate please?

I work in the City of London and your post doesn't correlate with what I see every day, i.e. loads of roads

There are no roads in the City of London. There are plenty of streets and alleys and lanes in the Square Mile but no roads.
    The name "road" came about where streets and lanes were good enough to enable horse riders and carriages to travel along. They were therefore places where others rode upon (road came from the Old English rad which meant "riding" or "hostile incursion").

Because the streets and lanes of old London weren't wide enough for any carriage of the day, none of the pathways got the status of being roads.

Over time things change but old pathway names remain. Therefore, in the City of London, there are no roads.

City of London street map: http://www.armourersandbrasiers.co.uk/img/map_smaller.gif

But for some reason driving on the right is safer for pedestrians. That what I remember reading. He didn't say why.

British road are the safest because the police do a good job there, they enforce, here they just set speed traps, tax and insurance stops.

I have never had my tyres, lights or anything checked by a garde at a traffic stop, I never heard of anyone else getting checked here either. But when I lived in the UK I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

it is not possible to lick your own tongue :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

No, it isn't. Here's some background on why people drive on the left vs. the right.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/634/why-do-the-british-drive-on-the-left

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    it is not possible to lick your own tongue :p
    yes it is.. just fold it over on itself..?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    yes it is.. just fold it over on itself..?

I just done that, it is possible and it taste like a tongue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Sponges grow in the sea.
    Imagine how much deeper it would be if not for this:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

You mean 4th safest:
    http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/community/car-magazines-blogs/mark-hamilton-blog/the-worlds-safest-roads-revealed/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

dx22 wrote: »
    Well whilst making a video to prove this claim the security staff in Harvey Norman asked me to leave so unfortunately i cannot supply any video evidence yet!

impersonate a chelsea pensioner and go back in and try it again.

Advertisement