Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Put it this way if you asked me to name the 250 best hurlers in waterford I wouldnt have even thought to include either of them and Id know pretty much every senior club inside out and the best players from each club at intermediate junior grade so I stand by that statement. You probably would have because your from 'a neighbouring parish':rolleyes:

I just notice that any criticism of anything from that club/area your quick to defend it thats all. If your from a neighbouring parish theres certainly little or no parish rivalry anyway in fact quite the opposite! If your reverting to 'thanks' underneath statements to back up your opinions then u kno ur clutching at straws!

If you can then why not do it?

If I were to say I can name the best 250 players in Waterford and then rule out two that are currently on the panel, don't you think my credibility would decrease enormously if I continued to suggest that without actually even attempting to name them?

And I really don't see how, it's a clear indicator as to who agrees with what post.

Anyway, you got your way as the O'Gormans are back playing football it would appear as themselves and Patrick and Gary Hurney are on the Munster inter-provincial football panel.

As I've already said I criticised managment for Sunday. I lended Michael Ryan my support at the end, because I thought it ludicrous that Jason Ryan would be brought in and still at the same time felt we needed a Waterford man. However, I only did so at the very end, and I made a strong argument against you because your reasons for him not getting the job were ridiculous and made it look as though you've a personal grievance with him, which has been recognized be other posters on this page.

The only other time I was drawn into commenting on a player or person tied to the Fourmilewater club was Liam Lawlor, and after initial disagreement it would appear that once he was actually given a chance he proved that he is the best option at full back available for Waterford at the moment.

It's funny how people react to opinions on this page though I have to say. When I defended Clinton Hennessey last year he was suddenly my father! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Well, he was Waterford minor hurler of the year last year.

woooooooooooooooooooooh:eek:!!!!

If I were to say I can name the best 250 players in Waterford and then rule out two that are currently on the panel, don't you think my credibility would decrease enormously if I continued to suggest that without actually even attempting to name them?

And I really don't see how, it's a clear indicator as to who agrees with what post.

Anyway, you got your way as the O'Gormans are back playing football it would appear as themselves and Patrick and Gary Hurney are on the Munster inter-provincial football panel.

As I've already said I criticised managment for Sunday. I lended Michael Ryan my support at the end, because I thought it ludicrous that Jason Ryan would be brought in and still at the same time felt we needed a Waterford man. However, I only did so at the very end, and I made a strong argument against you because your reasons for him not getting the job were ridiculous and made it look as though you've a personal grievance with him, which has been recognized be other posters on this page.

The only other time I was drawn into commenting on a player or person tied to the Fourmilewater club was Liam Lawlor, and after initial disagreement it would appear that once he was actually given a chance he proved that he is the best option at full back available for Waterford at the moment.

It's funny how people react to opinions on this page though I have to say. When I defended Clinton Hennessey last year he was suddenly my father! :rolleyes:

forgive the sarcasm above just couldnt resist... nah Ive seen Barron play he looks a real prospect to be fair... hed get in my top 250 any....:D

forgive the sarcasm above just couldnt resist... nah Ive seen Barron play he looks a real prospect to be fair... hed get in my top 250 any....:D

Jees he must be good so

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

What time is the WD V LK match on Saturday night lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭IanVW

Throw in at 7. Official switching on of the lights at 6-45

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Hold on there, Patrick Hurney in the Munster football panel!? They must be very stuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

detective wrote: »
    What time is the WD V LK match on Saturday night lads?

Challenge match is it?

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Challenge match is it?

Yep

Waterford Senior Hurling Team (Below) to play Limerick tomorrow night (Saturday) at 7 pm in Fraher Field. This match is being held in conjunction with the official switching on of the Fraher Field Floodlights at 6.45pm by GAA President, Christy Cooney.

Admission E10 (no passes). U16's FOC. ALL PROCEEDS TO TEAM TRAINING FUND.

1. Ian O’Regan Mount Sion
    2. Noel Connors Passage
    3. Darragh Fives Tourin
    4. Aidan Kearney Tallow
    5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan
    6. Kevin Moran De La Salle
    7. Shane O’Sullivan Ballygunner
    8. Stephen Molumphy Ballyduff Upper
    9. Paul O’Brien Tallow
    10. Maurice Shanahan Lismore
    11. Michael Walsh Stradbally CAPTAIN
    12. Paudie Mahony Ballygunner
    13. Martin O’Neill Mount Sion
    14. Seamus Prendergast Ardmore
    15. Shane Casey Dunhill

Looks a more settled side than previous games:)

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »
    Hold on there, Patrick Hurney in the Munster football panel!? They must be very stuck!

According to Beat.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Twixaroo wrote: »
    Think he's doing a J1 in the summer so that's why he's dropped himself off it. Had a good season last year and thought he would push on this but now the door opens for the other youngsters!

What's the story with Philip Mahony? He's not with a college as far as I know but yet hasn't been involved at all so far has he? Is he injured?

Ermm I think he is still in UCC, just hes after injuring his knee! No idea how serious it is or anything, just remember reading stuff on his twitter about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,999 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

IanVW wrote: »
    Waterford Senior Hurling Team (Below) to play Limerick tomorrow night (Saturday) at 7 pm in Fraher Field. This match is being held in conjunction with the official switching on of the Fraher Field Floodlights at 6.45pm by GAA President, Christy Cooney.

2. Noel Connors Passage
    3. Darragh Fives Tourin
    4. Aidan Kearney Tallow
    5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan
    9. Paul O’Brien Tallow
    15. Shane Casey Dunhill

Can still see us being beaten by Limerick even with this team. The NHL game vs Cork next weekend is going to to be a do or die game for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Can still see us being beaten by Limerick even with this team. The NHL game vs Cork next weekend is going to to be a do or die game for us.

First game of the league, do or die??

Can everyone relax, it's bloody February....some people on here are an absolute embarrassment and a complete laughing stock.

Give the man a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 newbie_deise

i think its great waterford have 5 players on the panel this year, in my opinion all of the 5 are the best footballers in waterford at the moment and deserve there chance,

i think its great waterford have 5 players on the panel this year, in my opinion all of the 5 are the best footballers in waterford at the moment and deserve there chance,

Who is the other? Briggs or Ó Lionáin?

From what I've seen of Paul Whyte I reckon he'd have to come into consideration for being in the top 5 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 newbie_deise

Who is the other? Briggs or Ó Lionáin?
    shane briggs,liam o lionain is injured at the moment,i fancy the footballers to beat wicklow in 2 weeks!!

shane briggs,liam o lionain is injured at the moment,i fancy the footballers to beat wicklow in 2 weeks!!

Hopefully now with the twins back they'll push for promotion.

IanVW wrote: »

2. Noel Connors Passage
    3. Darragh Fives Tourin
    4. Aidan Kearney Tallow
    5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan
    9. Paul O’Brien Tallow
    15. Shane Casey Dunhill

Interesting that Paul O'Brien seems to be getting a good run in the team, as does O'Regan. This suggests that both are heavily in managements plans a week before the NHL.
    I dont rate either O'Sullivan or Nagle as wing backs though. Nagle very loose O'Sullivan more effective at midfield/half forward. Its good to see fives being tried at full back I think he has the makings of a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Interesting that Paul O'Brien seems to be getting a good run in the team, as does O'Regan. This suggests that both are heavily in managements plans a week before the NHL.
    I dont rate either O'Sullivan or Nagle as wing backs though. Nagle very loose O'Sullivan more effective at midfield/half forward. Its good to see fives being tried at full back I think he has the makings of a good one

I agree with you on Sully and Nagle alright. And Sully has come into his own in the last couple of seasons and put in some excellent performances for us. Great to see Ringo back involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Could'nt make Dungarvan anyone know how are things going hopefully a better preformance than last Sunday

Waterford 1.15 to Limericks 14 points.
    Waterford scored 6 points in the 2nd half compared to Limericks 12

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

deise_girl wrote: »
    Waterford 1.15 to Limericks 14 points.
    Waterford scored 6 points in the 2nd half compared to Limericks 12

Although only a challenge nice to see us back to winning ways, you could also say Limerick only scored 2 points in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Any subs used in the game? The named side did not seem wildly experimental, and we shall need to discover (or redisover) more than Iggy O'Regan and Paul O'Brien this year..

Any reason for the poor second half performances, perhaps heavy training/ wholesale substitutions? Not something I would be overly concerned with at this time of year, but just curious :)

Any reason for the poor second half performances, perhaps heavy training/ wholesale substitutions? Not something I would be overly concerned with at this time of year, but just curious :)

The ever present wind in Fraher Field was probably one. That and I'd imagine Limerick got a bit of roasting in the dressing room having only scored two points in the first half.

But I'm only guessing

Any subs used in the game? The named side did not seem wildly experimental, and we shall need to discover (or redisover) more than Iggy O'Regan and Paul O'Brien this year..

Philip Mahoney came on for Noel Connors in the first half, looked like his hamstring gave up on him. Mahoney played alright there I thought.
    Dean Twomey came on for Paul O Brien at the start of the 2nd, Paul had a good first half, one of the best ive seen him.. Twomey was pretty blehh
    Thomas Ryan came on at the start of the 2nd half iswell for Martin O Neill, he got a good point and made a few runs and passes..
    Gavin O Brien came on for Maurice in the second half. and once he settled did himself proud. He got 3 or 4 points (though some were frees) but got a really good point off his man too..
    And Eoin McGrath came on for Shane Casey near the end too, he wasnt too bad, but it was a typical Eoin McGrath performance.

Limerick brought of Downes and Dowling in the 2nd half which made a huge impact.. And as Mountain said the wind was strong..

Oh yea and in the first 20 minutes we got 2 penalties..
    Martin O Neill took the first and it went over the bar and Paudie Mahoney took the second and it was blocked down.. Something else to sort out.
    Also Connors and Maurice went off with injuries so fingers crossed they didnt damage themselves too bad, we dont need any more out.

Sorry for the little pieces of info.. Im sure someone else will post a report. But no way am I able to write a full on thing about it >.<

The ever present wind in Fraher Field was probably one. That and I'd imagine Limerick got a bit of roasting in the dressing room having only scored two points in the first half.

But I'm only guessing

Ha ha, here's hoping we aren't too leaden-footed or lethargic when we travel to Cork next weekend
    deise_girl wrote: »
    Philip Mahoney came on for Noel Connors in the first half, looked like his hamstring gave up on him. Mahoney played alright there I thought.
    Dean Twomey came on for Paul O Brien at the start of the 2nd, Paul had a good first half, one of the best ive seen him.. Twomey was pretty blehh
    Thomas Ryan came on at the start of the 2nd half iswell for Martin O Neill, he got a good point and made a few runs and passes..
    Gavin O Brien came on for Maurice in the second half. and once he settled did himself proud. He got 3 or 4 points (though some were frees) but got a really good point off his man too..
    And Eoin McGrath came on for Shane Casey near the end too, he wasnt too bad, but it was a typical Eoin McGrath performance.

Limerick brought of Downes and Dowling in the 2nd half which made a huge impact.. And as Mountain said the wind was strong..

Cheers for the update, deisegirl, would seem from recent matches we will be seeing more of Twomey during the league perhaps. Good to see Philip get a run out, and hopefully Noel and Maurice are alright, if it was injury caused them to leave the pitch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

dboss wrote: »
    And Michael Ryan was not involved in the Fourmilewater setup last year.
    Michael Ryan was involved with Fourmilewater last year i seen him at one match
    goin down from the stand telling the fourmile selectors what to do ![/QUOTE]

I went to see a number of Fourmilewater games last year. Does that mean i was involved in the team?

Michael Ryan was at a number of Fourmilewater games in the same capacity as me last year, to see a game of hurling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement