Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

They should put a warning on the bottle that it contains a chemical - c2h6o - which, if ingested in large quantities, can cause nausea, headaches, depression and other symptoms.

It's pumped full of dihydrogen monoxide too!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

irish_goat wrote: »
    They should put a warning on the bottle that it contains a chemical - c2h6o - which, if ingested in large quantities, can cause nausea, headaches, depression and other symptoms.

It's pumped full of dihydrogen monoxide too!

that deceptively common chemical can also, if consumed in significant quantities eg 10 pints in a few hours can cause blood thinning, increaded urination and, in extreme cases hypnatrima.

Someone should do something, like, for example, set a minimum price on these dangerous chemicals so that consumers are discouraged from purchasing products which contain them.

No no, people should drink something with less dangerous chemicals like diet coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Damn, that Galway Hooker was lovely, definitely going to have to buy more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

Bottles of Hooker and O'Hara's IPA on Friday, excellent cask ales at the Franciscan Well in Cork yesterday.

Quality weekend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Bottles of Hooker and O'Hara's IPA on Friday, excellent cask ales at the Franciscan Well in Cork yesterday.

Quality weekend

Enjoying a Westmalle Dubbel right now. Never fails to make me happy!

Best part is pouring the last dribble from the bottle onto a white beer mat and making patterns with the live yeast!

Yes, I am easily amused!

• Advertisement

Moved house recently and there is an offy just up the road with Galway Hooker bottles on offer. I've been taking advantage of that offer all week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Allow me to continue the praise for Galway Hooker: Had a delicious, fresh pint in the Townhouse Bar, Galway, earlier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Theakston_Lightfoot.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Just tried chocolate stout and I have to say, it wasn't for me. Not sure how to describe what I was expecting, but what I got was not what I was expecting.

It did give me the inspiration to find and try a coffee stout though, so that could be something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Sipping on a Copper Coast ale now, have to say I much prefer Rebel Red. The Dungarvan ale is a bit too watery or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Just tried chocolate stout and I have to say, it wasn't for me. Not sure how to describe what I was expecting, but what I got was not what I was expecting.

What Chocolate Stout was it out of curiosity? Some are better than others.

Speaking of Chocolate Stout.... it's almost time for the Porterhouse's annual offering...

alypgrcqaatx4s.jpg

After a 2 year absence, I'll be looking forward to this one!!!:D
    Its usually very delicious!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

It did give me the inspiration to find and try a coffee stout though, so that could be something.
    You should try dungarvan coffee and oatmeal stout. It's really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

slayerking wrote: »
    What Chocolate Stout was it out of curiosity? Some are better than others.

Speaking of Chocolate Stout.... it's almost time for the Porterhouse's annual offering...

alypgrcqaatx4s.jpg

After a 2 year absence, I'll be looking forward to this one!!!:D
    Its usually very delicious!:P

Has this been available in bottles before or is it just a draught offering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Martyn1989 wrote: »

Dont believe it was ever available in bottles. Last year, they advertised for it but I think something happened the batch so it never made it on draft!

One of the few beers that really works on nitro imo!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Am drinking an assortment of De Molen Beers, and Mikkeller Bun+Burger.

Quite enjoying the Molenbier at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    It hasn't been around for the last couple of years and the Porterhouse are only bottling their beers for the last couple of years so I doubt it was ever available in bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Think theres any chance of getting a bottle of this? http://www.innisandgunn.com/the-range/Irish-Cask.aspx
    I would love to try it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

St. Bernadus Abt 12 last night, absolutely gorgeous for sipping on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Brewdog zeitgeist. Nicer than I remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dry hopped cask Pergatory in The Abbot's this week (gone now).
    I found it better than anything I tasted at the Cask Festival, to be honest.
    Very moreish;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

just going to give a quick review of what new beers ive drank this year, unfortunately i can't remember too much about them as usually only bought one and time has passed but ill give it a shot:

Macs Gold All Malt Lager:
    Nice enough, didnt blow me.

Macs Hop Rocker Pilsner:
    Very crisp and fresh tasting with a great hoppiness, really liked these 5% was a bonus.

Fullers IPA:
    Didnt fully do it for me, was nice though

Porterhouse Celebration Stout:
    Tastes like any other imperial russian stout which isnt bad, 7% which is weak for a imperial style???!

Whitewater Copperhead:
    Quite nice, some nice blends of flavours but the 3.7% would put me off getting it again

Dungarvan Coffee and Oatmeal Stout:
    Really loved this one even though i dont like any of the other dungarvans. Real pity its only seasonal.

Fyne ales Vital Spark and Holly Daze:
    I like most of the other fyne ales but not these two, holly daze was a particular disappointment, ill stick with the maverick and highlander.

Trouble Brewing Dark Arts Porter:
    Having previously had this on draft a couple of times and not liked it at all but bearing in mind everyone harps on about how great it is i thought id try the bottle. While nicer imo I still got a certain after taste that i didnt like at all.

Brewdog Hardcore IPA:
    Had this after many others and paid too much for it i think, it was good but maybe again I had too much expectations for it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Am in Bellevue just outside Seattle at the moment, and it's American beer lover's heaven here. Every bar has a few local brews and they're all top notch. Unfortunately I've lost track of all of the beers I've had, but some of the highlights have been (in no real particular order):

1: Thunderhead IPA: Very hoppy and bitter at first, I suspect there's a better term to describe it, but the best term I know of is almost ashtray-ish. But, it's really worth sticking with, by then end of the first one and especially the second one, it gets really nice. To much drink more than a few of them though.

2: Alaskan Amber: A really nice American style amber pale ale, some good fruity-ness, with a bit of a floral-hoppy finish. Quite mild and easy to drink all night.

3: Mac and Jack's African Amber Ale: Quite thick and almost yeasty, without being actually yeasty, a little like the way way Wells Banana Bread has a kind of thick feel to it, but more yeasty than that. I know I'm contradicting myself on the yeasty-ness, but it does feel like a very yeasty beer without tastying hugely yeasty. Instead it has a deep fruity flavour, and also a light fruity flavour, with a little (but not much) hoppy flavour to balance it a little. ( but the balance lies very much in favour of the deep and light fruity flavours).

4: Manny's Pale Ale: Another amber pale ale, as seems to be the predominant style here. This IMHO is the pick of the bunch. It has both deep and light fruity flavours initially, like M&J's though not quite as strong, and just the right amount of hoppyness to balance it out (I'm guessing citra with some chinook). While M&J's is delicious for a pint or two, Manny's has this perfect balance that you could drink all night, every night, and never stop, ever. If anything it's a little too perfect. If I can't find this one when I get home I'll be hitting up the homebrew forum for tips on a clone. In fact I'll be doing that anyway :)

5: Elysian: I made a bit of a fool of myself asking for this one. I spotted the tap and said "Can I have a ... I think it says Elysium ... there on the very right", the bargirl said "You mean you want the men's room?", I said "erm, no I want a drink, see that tap on the very right hand side?". She went and poured the drink I was after so I didn't think much more of it untill I tried googling the beer. The brewery is called Elysian, and the beer is actually called "Men's Room" :) Anyway, another APA, very strong deep fruity flavours, with more hoppyness than M&J's, but not as much maybe as Manny's. This was really nice to have a few pints of, but with the strong fruityness maybe not very many.

6: Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar: This was a really super awesome beer to try. Out of all the beers I've had here it's probably the one I'm happiest I tried, although in saying that it also not one I think I'd drink a lot of. It pours kind of like and APA, but darker. It starts with an almost stout/porter-ish taste, with fairly prominent chocolate and coffee flavors, but quickly followed up with a strong hazelnut aftertaste. I really enjoyed having one of these, but not sure if more than two would be nice. But that could be just because I knew there was lots of other nice beers to try, if there was only this it may have been wonderful to drink all night. Either way I was really happy I had one.

I've had a few others that were more normal and I haven't written down, that were very nice too, but didn't stand out a much as the ones above.

tl;dr the Seattle/Bellevue area is incredibly good for craft/local/nice beers. Every bar/resteraunt here seems to mostly do local brews, with the odd tap for bud/bud light/bud lime present but hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Playoff_Beard

adamski8 wrote: »
    Nice enough, didnt blow me.

Story of my life!
    Well it was only your first one!
    Should have had it on valentines day!

damn there's defo a good joke here somewhere. :-(

stevenmu wrote: »
    Am in Bellevue just outside Seattle at the moment, and it's American beer lover's heaven here. Every bar has a few local brews and they're all top notch. Unfortunately I've lost track of all of the beers I've had, but some of the highlights have been (in no real particular order):

1: Thunderhead IPA: Very hoppy and bitter at first, I suspect there's a better term to describe it, but the best term I know of is almost ashtray-ish. But, it's really worth sticking with, by then end of the first one and especially the second one, it gets really nice. To much drink more than a few of them though.

2: Alaskan Amber: A really nice American style amber pale ale, some good fruity-ness, with a bit of a floral-hoppy finish. Quite mild and easy to drink all night.

3: Mac and Jack's African Amber Ale: Quite thick and almost yeasty, without being actually yeasty, a little like the way way Wells Banana Bread has a kind of thick feel to it, but more yeasty than that. I know I'm contradicting myself on the yeasty-ness, but it does feel like a very yeasty beer without tastying hugely yeasty. Instead it has a deep fruity flavour, and also a light fruity flavour, with a little (but not much) hoppy flavour to balance it a little. ( but the balance lies very much in favour of the deep and light fruity flavours).

4: Manny's Pale Ale: Another amber pale ale, as seems to be the predominant style here. This IMHO is the pick of the bunch. It has both deep and light fruity flavours initially, like M&J's though not quite as strong, and just the right amount of hoppyness to balance it out (I'm guessing citra with some chinook). While M&J's is delicious for a pint or two, Manny's has this perfect balance that you could drink all night, every night, and never stop, ever. If anything it's a little too perfect. If I can't find this one when I get home I'll be hitting up the homebrew forum for tips on a clone. In fact I'll be doing that anyway :)

5: Elysian: I made a bit of a fool of myself asking for this one. I spotted the tap and said "Can I have a ... I think it says Elysium ... there on the very right", the bargirl said "You mean you want the men's room?", I said "erm, no I want a drink, see that tap on the very right hand side?". She went and poured the drink I was after so I didn't think much more of it untill I tried googling the beer. The brewery is called Elysian, and the beer is actually called "Men's Room" :) Anyway, another APA, very strong deep fruity flavours, with more hoppyness than M&J's, but not as much maybe as Manny's. This was really nice to have a few pints of, but with the strong fruityness maybe not very many.

6: Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar: This was a really super awesome beer to try. Out of all the beers I've had here it's probably the one I'm happiest I tried, although in saying that it also not one I think I'd drink a lot of. It pours kind of like and APA, but darker. It starts with an almost stout/porter-ish taste, with fairly prominent chocolate and coffee flavors, but quickly followed up with a strong hazelnut aftertaste. I really enjoyed having one of these, but not sure if more than two would be nice. But that could be just because I knew there was lots of other nice beers to try, if there was only this it may have been wonderful to drink all night. Either way I was really happy I had one.

I've had a few others that were more normal and I haven't written down, that were very nice too, but didn't stand out a much as the ones above.

tl;dr the Seattle/Bellevue area is incredibly good for craft/local/nice beers. Every bar/resteraunt here seems to mostly do local brews, with the odd tap for bud/bud light/bud lime present but hidden.

Try get your hands on some of the Deschutes beers from just over the border in Bend, Oregon. The Obsedion Stout, Black Butte Porter Mirror Pond Pale Ale and Hop Henge are great, if you can get your hands of their Seasonal Imperial Stout The Abyss, for the love of God man, do it! Also... I would pay you if you brought me home a sixer of Black Butte!

Thought I'd treat myself after a couple of really tough days. :)

WXII.jpg

BaZmO* wrote: »

WXII.jpg

Nooooooooooo:eek::eek::eek:
    They've put the name on the bottle!!!!

Yeah, it's tastes totally different since they put the name on the bottle

WXII.jpg

I'd imagine it was the distributors and not the Abbey.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I'd imagine it was the distributors and not the Abbey.
    Not sure.

westvleteren-box.jpg

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's tastes totally different since they put the name on the bottle

Does it?
    And there was me thinking that it couldn't possibly have any effect on the taste!! Silly me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement