Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Rossini beer from Aldi...very nice. A bit like Peroni but a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Abstrakt 08
    Deconstructed blonde imperial stout ???

Nice, full of flavour and alcohol. Interesting beer but it does seem to make Nogne O look cheap and very good value!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Had Anderson Valley Hop Ottin IPA, really enjoyed it, good hops flavours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

Double Diamond, excellent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Thwaites_VERY_NUTTY_BLACK_BOTTLE.jpg

Does the trick. Very nice in a sausage casserole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Had a couple of Galway Hooker's in ATG for the first time in a while, is so much nicer from the tap imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Picked up a 4 for €10 deal today, Galway Hooker, and the other 3 are all from Dungarvan Brewing Co. They even gave me a pint glass :D
    Can't wait to try them, I've been meaning to taste them for a while now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Picked up a 4 for €10 deal today, Galway Hooker, and the other 3 are all from Dungarvan Brewing Co. They even gave me a pint glass :D
    Can't wait to try them, I've been meaning to taste them for a while now
    That sounds great, where did you get this deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

Just got a similar deal,2 grozet and 2 Fraoch for €10.

The Drink Shop(I think it's called),in Stoneybatter. Great selection of drink,good prices,and a short stumble from L Muligan Grocers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

That sounds great, where did you get this deal?
    Just an off-licence in Carrigaline. Bradley's in Cork are doing the same deal I think (couldn't go there though, cos all I had on me was my college ID)
    edit; ****, just see your location is Dublin, so that was no use to you

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Rangi wrote: »
    Just got a similar deal,2 grozet and 2 Fraoch for €10.

The Drink Shop(I think it's called),in Stoneybatter. Great selection of drink,good prices,and a short stumble from L Muligan Grocers.

Drinkstore, their selection is amazing, they can't even display it all in the shop. Have a look at Drinkstore.ie for their full range!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Just sampled today's selection from the cask beer fest...pick of the litter would have to be the Dungarvan coffee and oatmeal stout. A few of the pale ales came close but the best of them tasted flat to me which was disappointing.
    Also had a bottle of carriag dubh from west Kerry brewery which I really enjoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Abstrakt 08
    Deconstructed blonde imperial stout ???

Nice, full of flavour and alcohol. Interesting beer but it does seem to make Nogne O look cheap and very good value!

So...blonde, black or brown??been wondering for months!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Ronan cork wrote: »
    Just sampled today's selection from the cask beer fest...pick of the litter would have to be the Dungarvan coffee and oatmeal stout. A few of the pale ales came close but the best of them tasted flat to me which was disappointing.
    Also had a bottle of carriag dubh from west Kerry brewery which I really enjoyed

Heading there today. Hope there's plenty left!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

31GVtNksSbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So good.

My offie is getting in some Westvleteren 12 this month, I might have to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just sampled today's selection from the cask beer fest...pick of the litter would have to be the Dungarvan coffee and oatmeal stout.
    Nicest cask beer I've tasted. And it's beautiful in the bottle too, had one last night. Great beer, pity it's only a seasonal.

Grayditch wrote: »
    My offie is getting in some Westvleteren 12 this month, I might have to give it a go.
    Picked some up from Drinkstore last night. Looking forward to trying it.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Just sampled today's selection from the cask beer fest...pick of the litter would have to be the Dungarvan coffee and oatmeal stout.
    Nicest cask beer I've tasted. And it's beautiful in the bottle too, had one last night. Great beer, pity it's only a seasonal.

Picked some up from Drinkstore last night. Looking forward to trying it.

Where are Drinkstore etc get it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Grand Cru is the distributor. I'd say it's all allocated by now, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BeerNut wrote: »
    According to Ken they've got a few left. Lovely gift set....but not cheap! They have them all in the window display.

Devenys also have some for sale.....according to Ruth's Twitter

BaZmO* wrote: »
    BeerNut wrote: »
    According to Ken they've got a few left. Lovely gift set....but not cheap! They have them all in the window display.

Devenys also have some for sale.....according to Ruth's Twitter

It's surely grey market though?

I'd rather not pay over the odds for them. May be in Belgium in a few weeks do might just drive the hour and a bit from Antwerp and hope the visitor centre of abbey have some that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Seaneh wrote: »
    It's surely grey market though?
    Nope. The abbey is funding some restoration work.
    Still available from Drinkstore through their website. Not sure if they'll get fulfilled though.

I ordered two gift sets today, from Molloys.ie. One to leave in the attic to mature, and to to pour into my face :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

€8 for a 330ml bottle just seems too much for me, and having to buy six at once more so. Is there anything special about these beers compared to say leffe, chimay etc other than it is a falsely rare product and the novelty of helping the monastery? I appreciate that monks are not driven by money, but at the same time surely the more popular Trappist beers have become so because they're better than the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

€8 for a 330ml bottle just seems too much for me, and having to buy six at once more so. Is there anything special about these beers compared to say leffe, chimay etc other than it is a falsely rare product and the novelty of helping the monastery? I appreciate that monks are not driven by money, but at the same time surely the more popular Trappist beers have become so because they're better than the others?
    Several sites such as RateBeer and BeerAdvocate have ranked Westvleteren 12 as the #1 beer in the world, so that would contribute to the high demand. Even if it's not twice as good as, say, Chimay, you may well find that twice as many people are looking for it simply because it possesses that distinction.

But the main factor influencing the price is the limited supply. Westvleteren has the smallest output of any of the Trappist breweries and limited supply is going to lead to a higher price.

I wouldn't be getting it for a session or anything; that's what Spaten and Franziskaaner are for :). It's a rare occasion that this is available, so feck it, time to taste what the highest rated beer in the world taste like, just so I can say I had some :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

some hop ottin ipa, yummy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

local was selling off Tiger Beer @ €1 a bottle. Had 4 last night and feeling terrible all day:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Paid a visit to Deveney's today. Picked up some Brooklyn Pennant Ale, Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Dungarvan Helvick Gold & Black Rock and selection of Thornbridge ales - Jaipur, Kipling and Wild Swan.

Making my way through the Pennant & Torpedo at the mo :D

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    local was selling off Tiger Beer @ €1 a bottle. Had 4 last night and feeling terrible all day:(

Happens me a lot with Tiger, lately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Howjoe1 wrote: »

Happens me a lot with Tiger, lately.

They should put a warning on the bottle that it contains a chemical - c2h6o - which, if ingested in large quantities, can cause nausea, headaches, depression and other symptoms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement