Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Yeah, just go on ignoring the €18billion hole in our own finances.

a good way not to ignore that deficit could be for widespread civil disobedience against all taxes followed by the rolling out of guillotines and the usage of these guillotines on specific greedy corrupt treasonous slimeballs until the pension bill goes down .. but I disgress ... tis but a dream :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Do you just read the first line of a post before you jump in?

I read the rest of it as well. There wasn't anything worth commenting on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

I read the rest of it as well. There wasn't anything worth commenting on.
    Doesn't stop you though!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

psychward wrote: »
    a good way not to ignore that deficit could be for widespread civil disobedience against all taxes followed by the rolling out of guillotines and the usage of these guillotines on specific greedy corrupt treasonous slimeballs until the pension bill goes down .. but I disgress ... tis but a dream :)

What do you think would happen to your little bit of private property? The not so civil disobeyers might think they were as much entitled to it as you.

What do you think would happen to your little bit of private property? The not so civil disobeyers might think they were as much entitled to it as you.
    Just as well the dwelling act 2011 got passed a couple of weeks ago so;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Ghandee wrote: »
    Not me, I didnt borrow it, why should the life be taxed out of me to repay it :confused:

Because in Ireland the rich don't have to pay their own private gambling and speculation debts, they get the 'government' to force you to pay their personal debts for them.

Yeah, just go on ignoring the €18billion hole in our own finances.

We'll take that seriously, just as soon as you take seriously the €250 billion hairy hole of private gambling debts the ordinary taxpayer is expected to pay off for connected bankers, bondholders and SCAMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

donalg1 wrote: »
    Unbelievable, you seem to be the most confused person I have ever seen on Boards. You say the government needs to raise additional funds and therefore no one should pay their taxes???

Mind boggling!!!

I think you have a major lack of understanding with this and the fact that your not reading my comments properly

The only confused ones on this are the ones that really want this new charge to be implemented, I find it strange how much some of you are fighting for this??

Donal can you please quote what I said regarding no one should pay there taxes???

Funny stuff....

Mr CJ wrote: »
    I think you have a major lack of understanding with this and the fact that your not reading my comments properly

The only confused ones on this are the ones that really want this new charge to be implemented, I find it strange how much some of you are fighting for this??

Donal can you please quote what I said regarding no one should pay there taxes???

Funny stuff....
    There's 2 or 3 on here who just see what they want to see. I'd love to know why, maybe their renters or some of the 25% of the population who reckon they don't have to pay....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

As I suspected - haven't got a clue have you?
    Back to the t-shirts slogans with you.

As you suspected? I know as thing or two but there's very little point arguing with you now is there? You know it all by the sounds of it :cool:
    So you haven't got any sensible ideas then?

I do indeed, but lots of silly ones too :D

What I do know is that if enough people refuse to pay this tax, then it will force the issue and require the government to think about how we fund the running of this country and what we spend our fair and just taxes on.
    It will make them realise that they are elected to represent all of the citizens of the country and not just a select few (and some of their apologetic acolytes).

Meeting in Sligo tomorrow night @ 8pm in the Glasshouse and I expect there to be plenty of people there too.

And btw the simplistic views that some have on the legislation and it's validity is not a reason to pay the tax. Even if you think it's really stupid.

• Advertisement

Well maybe if they can raise money for local services through the household charge and ultimately property tax then commercial rates can be reduced which will help with job creation.

LOL that is truly hilarious indeed :D

You really seem to think that all of this lovely moula raised by the household tax is for local services.
    Do you realise how much the local government fund has been reduced already? By way more than will be raised by their efforts.
    And you think that it is even a minute possibility that commercial rates will be reduced significantly in the foreseeable future?

You're telling people opposed to the tax to get real and yet you are in La La land lad!

Pete M. wrote: »

You really seem to think that all of this lovely moula raised by the household tax is for local services.
    Do you realise how much the local government fund has been reduced already? By way more than will be raised by their efforts.
    And you think that it is even a minute possibility that commercial rates will be reduced significantly in the foreseeable future?

You're telling people opposed to the tax to get real and yet you are in La La land lad!

From reading the fair bit of rubbish on this forum I have confirmed the people here who want this charge are really in la la land and have no comprehension on reality and on the impact of this stupid new charge.

Question for the people on cloud 9 sorry I mean people for this new charge:

Hypothetically suppose in a few years all new taxes have been implemented and increased to around €1600/yr

(you might ask €1600?????? well according to the few for this charge, we the ones against this charge are bewildered and we are mad to think that the government can find other solutions so the only way out of this mess is to savagely increase taxes, sure its only €1600, we need to pay it for progress isnt that right???)

With mortgages, taxes, bills, bins, fuel etc there is nothing left and half the country would be running into debt, businesses everywhere collapsing job losses shoots up, how just how is this progress?????

Keep chipping away at a tree no matter how big it is and it will fall down, this is what people need to wake up to and realise the bigger picture!!

By us not paying this we are telling the government no not going to work this time move on to plan b!! Plan b being the implementation of money saving and money making alternatives. You ask how can we save money?? straight away look at prisons and the social welfare system? biggest waste of money ever for zero productivity never mention the other waste that goes on in government departments.

Does anyone know the stats with employment in relation to expenditure? If people had €1600 less per year to spend can anyone work out what kind of job losses to expect??

well the average salary being 25k so you could say 16 homes could support an employment opportunity? and there are around 1.5million homes? correct me if im wrong but you can do the maths....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

The reduction of the septic tank registration fee from €50 to €5 before the deadline is another fine example of the contempt in which we the people are held by this Government - do they really think we are so stupid as to fall for this 'once-in-a-lifetime' chance to save €45 whilst handing over our personal details for them to use as they see fit in screwing us out of more money in years to come?

I'd really love to know who thought that this ploy would work because if that is the level of intelligence in Fine Gael \ Labour then God help us.

Don't Register \ Don't Pay

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

From reading the fair bit of rubbish on this forum I have confirmed the people here who want this charge are really in la la land and have no comprehension on reality and on the impact of this stupid new charge.

Hypothetically suppose in a few years all new taxes have been implemented and increased to around €1600/yr

(you might ask €1600?????? well according to the few for this charge, we the ones against this charge are bewildered and we are mad to think that the government can find other solutions so the only way out of this mess is to savagely increase taxes, sure its only €1600, we need to pay it for progress isnt that right???)

With mortgages, taxes, bills, bins, fuel etc there is nothing left and half the country would be running into debt, businesses everywhere collapsing job losses shoots up, how just how is this progress?????

Keep chipping away at a tree no matter how big it is and it will fall down, this is what people need to wake up to and realise the bigger picture!!

By us not paying this we are telling the government no not going to work this time move on to plan b!! Plan b being the implementation of money saving and money making alternatives. You ask how can we save money?? straight away look at prisons and the social welfare system? biggest waste of money ever for zero productivity never mention the other waste that goes on in government departments.

Without getting into the slagging matches so beloved of this thread (all sides), welfare has to be cut, no doubt about it, still leads to less growth, less money spent in local shops (might as well mention pubs as it's AH!), the exact same thing a few posters are so worried about on here!

Just seems to be the whole left wing vs. right wing thing again. Cuts are good, raising taxes are evil thing! Both have huge consequences.

Ideally you'd cut taxes but between banks, lending and other things, it probably isn't going to work. The UK cutting VAT as a good example. People know we are in for a few years of this.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If you want to speculate on what the charge will be in future years here is some possibly more informed speculation. Other people on here were saying €3000 or €4000 from scare stories they heard.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1221/breaking6.html

Us the 1.6 million who own our own houses are a diverse group and not everyone is on the breadline yet. The savings ratio in the country is above average and personal savings accounts total €100,000,000,000 at the moment. 85% of people still have a job and some are sailing along nicely in the middle of the recession. I don't think the militancy displayed on this forum will be reflected in the general populace. The best comparitor we have recently is the €200 NPPR (second homes) tax which 340,000 people are paying this last three years without much comment.

There must be a bit of money in the country if people can afford to drink this much (in the news today) and Paddy Powers top brass can afford to pay themselves over €1 million per year from gambling activity.

The average Irish adult consumed 11.9 litres of pure alcohol in 2010, equivalent to 482 pints of lager, 125 bottles of wine or 45 bottles of vodka.

Unless someone can guarantee to me that the law will be taken off the statute books I am not going to put myself outside the law and run up arrears for the sake of €100. Let next year and the year after take care of themselves. Other people can do what they like but as the owners of private houses they will bear consequences by defying the law and the campaigners will be long gone when some of these consequences come home to roost.

The_Thing wrote: »
    The reduction of the septic tank registration fee from €50 to €5 before the deadline is another fine example of the contempt in which we the people are held by this Government - do they really think we are so stupid as to fall for this 'once-in-a-lifetime' chance to save €45 whilst handing over our personal details for them to use as they see fit in screwing us out of more money in years to come?

I'd really love to know who thought that this ploy would work because if that is the level of intelligence in Fine Gael \ Labour then God help us.

The sad thing is it will work in some cases.... just read the comments on this forum!! We are talking about the Irish here with there usual hands up in the air "ah sure what can ya do we just have to pay it... now how much do you want Enda????"

I do not have a septic tank so dont know much about them but what I can see is a new NCT or should I say NSTT with strict requirements down the road exactly like what they are doing with the NCT to this day. and this will be another massive hike in expenditure for the Irish person! But I can see this as clear as daylight but there are still the few that say ah its only a fiver nice one... ha

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The sad thing is it will work in some cases.... just read the comments on this forum!! We are talking about the Irish here with there usual hands up in the air "ah sure what can ya do we just have to pay it... now how much do you want Enda????"

I do not have a septic tank so dont know much about them but what I can see is a new NCT or should I say NSTT with strict requirements down the road exactly like what they are doing with the NCT to this day. and this will be another massive hike in expenditure for the Irish person! But I can see this as clear as daylight but there are still the few that say ah its only a fiver nice one... ha

I'm not paying, I have a sCeptic tank.

Does anyone know the stats with employment in relation to expenditure? If people had €1600 less per year to spend can anyone work out what kind of job losses to expect??

well the average salary being 25k so you could say 16 homes could support an employment opportunity? and there are around 1.5million homes? correct me if im wrong but you can do the maths....

Can't give you stats on that but for every € taken out of the economy by Government cuts, about 50/60c is taken out of the economy.

I suppose you'd have to factor figures like that in to the €1,600 (if it's going to be that) loss. It isn't all lost. Some of it gets back to the economy.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Basically they are so arrogant and sure of themselves, they think we're stupid enough to be bought and sold for €45.

Their slimey patronising out of touch bullsh1t knows no bounds.

I'll pay my sceptic tank tax when SCAMA is closed down, Bertie, Seanie, Fingers and all their filthy dirty banker/developer pals are put in jail, and the bank bondholders are taught the meaning of the word private sector speculation.

I don't give two f**ks if we can ''register'' for a cost of 5 cent, never mind € 5

The filthy scum can go and f**k themselves.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Without getting into the slagging matches so beloved of this thread (all sides), welfare has to be cut, no doubt about it, still leads to less growth, less money spent in local shops (might as well mention pubs as it's AH!), the exact same thing a few posters are so worried about on here!

Just seems to be the whole left wing vs. right wing thing again. Cuts are good, raising taxes are evil thing! Both have huge consequences.

Ideally you'd cut taxes but between banks, lending and other things, it probably isn't going to work. The UK cutting VAT as a good example. People know we are in for a few years of this.

Agreed with the slagging matches!! but lets face it they are going for easy targets all the time. I would admirer them more if they started with them selves first for example stop there ridiculous expense allowances, are they not on enough money as it is??

I have no problem paying taxes only a fool would say we should not pay taxes... the whole point I am trying to make is why cant they think outside the box and try other ideas rather than preying on us all the time. There is money in the country still agreed but its not as spread out as you like to think. There are people that have not got a fiver never mind €30/week

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Many middle class families cannot afford this household charge despite what many say. People are borrowing from Credit Unions already to pay the increased education fees, car insurance, health insurance etc. All this while wages are decreasing and expenses like fuel and mortgages are rising.
    They cannot get blood out of a stone. People are not just refusing to pay
    THEY CAN'T PAY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Thats a Banning!!!

Well you know what they say about a fool and his money!

Sorry mods, but I've been asked for suggestions on how we can improve our situation and I've given what I think are reasonable responses.
    donalg1,mickydoomsux and blackfrancis must have an agenda as anyone who doesn't agree with them is accused of trading in 'cheap sloganeering',spouting 'populist bulls**t' (a contradiction in terms there I do believe) and probably gets reported to a moderator for not agreeing with them.

Where did I say anything about cheap sloganeering populist whatever seriously show me dare ya to.

Nice deflection attempt obviously run out of anything constructive to say hence that post and the fool post which btw has lost you all credibility

Unbelievable, you seem to be the most confused person I have ever seen on Boards. You say the government needs to raise additional funds and therefore no one should pay their taxes???

Mind boggling!!!

Funny stuff....

It's there for all to see so no need for me to quote it for you if you can't remember it. You did say you think the govt need to raise revenue but you also think nobody should pay this tax didn't you

Many middle class families cannot afford this household charge despite what many say. People are borrowing from Credit Unions already to pay the increased education fees, car insurance, health insurance etc. All this while wages are decreasing and expenses like fuel and mortgages are rising.
    THEY CAN'T PAY.

You'd be doing well to get a loan out of the Credit Union these days, after the hits they took giving mad loans of 100's of thousands, but yeah, your point is true.

AS many will suffer with welfare and PS cuts. There is no easy way out of this.

Well maybe if they can raise money for local services through the household charge and ultimately property tax then commercial rates can be reduced which will help with job creation.

Please be quiet pal. If you actually understood the context of that post it would be helpful however you see what you want to see and ignore everything else just like every other wally here. That post was in reference to the idiotic posts by others that think not paying this charge will generate huge revenue for local businesses which in turn will create a multitude of jobs and will end the recession!!! So basically not paying your taxes will end the recession!!!

So lol at that one and find that truly hilarious just like I did with your ridiculous puts son

News for ya that's all happened already so why don't you get your head out the sand and realise to continue that way is unsustainable

Basically they are so arrogant and sure of themselves, they think we're stupid enough to be bought and sold for €45.

Their slimey patronising out of touch bullsh1t knows no bounds.

I'll pay my sceptic tank tax when SCAMA is closed down, Bertie, Seanie, Fingers and all their filthy dirty banker/developer pals are put in jail, and the bank bondholders are taught the meaning of the word private sector speculation.

I don't give two f**ks if we can ''register'' for a cost of 5 cent, never mind € 5

The filthy scum can go and f**k themselves.

Good lad yourself if you feel so strongly why don't you leave the country cause your silly attitude ain't gonna help you or anyone else I'm sure you can find a country somewhere that will make you happy low taxes high pay free services for everyone blah blah blah

THEY CAN'T PAY.

If they can't afford €100 they can't borrow from the credit union simple as that so your argument is pointless

• Advertisement

Please be quiet pal. If you actually understood the context of that post it would be helpful however you see what you want to see and ignore everything else just like every other wally here. That post was in reference to the idiotic posts by others that think not paying this charge will generate huge revenue for local businesses which in turn will create a multitude of jobs and will end the recession!!! So basically not paying your taxes will end the recession!!!

So lol at that one and find that truly hilarious just like I did with your ridiculous puts son

Pal? Wally? Son?

I think not buddy...

You have your wobbly way of seeing things, I have mine.

Do you see the poll up there?Thats the one that counts round these here parts so :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement