Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2012 'What's On Your CAO?' Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

I notice a number of peple have selected courses in different city's. How much is finance a consideration in your choices?

Think it was last year that someone said accommodation alone would cost, on average, €5K.

Considering the current economic problems in the country, increase in registration, etc; how are peple going to survive, financially, in college.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MLM1

Historykitten and wesc I'm doing Actuary in UCD so feel free to PM me if you need any advice :D

Or anyone else for that matter, and don't shiit yourself over the CAO you can change it as much as ya want and most people get one of their top 3 choices.

No doubting the leaving is a woeful tough year but you'll still be breathing in July so don't go worrying about anything, if you need a day off take it and if you need a kick in the hole accept it. I was on this a year ago thinking it would never ever end, it does. Uniforms, teachers, 35hr weeks, subjects you don't like doing will be over in 6 months. This is our first real challenge in life, time to go hard or go home lads :p

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Ciara 5

1) General and Children's Nursing Integrated TCD
    2) General and Children's Nursing Integrated UCD
    3) General and Children's Nursing Integrated DCU
    4) General Nursing (Meath and St James) TCD
    5) General Nursing (Adelaide) TCD
    6) General Nursing UCD
    7) General Nursing DCU
    8) General Nursing Dundalk

Really want to do nursing, any nursing students out there with any advice? Do you think TCD is the right choice for placements etc.. Any advice would be much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

1/2 - Science Ed - Maynooth/Arts - Maynooth (Genuinely can't decide between them)
    3 - Religion & English ed - Mater Dei
    4 - Arts - UCD
    5 - Home ec & Biology - At Angelas
    6 - Humanities - St Pats
    7 - Arts - Trinity
    8 - Arts - NUIG
    9 - Food science & Dietetics - DIT
    10 - Human nutrition - UCD

Bit of a random bunch I suppose, but that's it I think. :)
    If anyone can give me any good info on any of these courses it'd be greatly appreciated. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Pretty sure i want to do it, in theory i think it will be great :) i've read up a lot on it , know all the ins and outs did work experience :) but then again its all great in theory, wont know till i'm actually in it :O
    why are you so unsure ? :)

Its just I don't really want to move up to dublin and I'd like to study physics too :)..Oh oh what was the work experience like? It wasn't too "boring" was it? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Just did mine there, relief to have it out of the way! Hope points don't rise too much as law and business is already really high, though I have honours maths which will hopefully help!

1. TR017 Law and Business
    2. DN610 Business and Law
    3. TR202 Economics/History
    4. TR020 Law and Political Science
    5. DN621 Law with History
    6. TR012 History and Political Science
    7. TR081 Business Economic and Social Studies
    8. TR003 History
    9. DN650 Commerce
    10. DN500 BA Degree - joint honours - full time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Wesc. wrote: »
    Its just I don't really want to move up to dublin and I'd like to study physics too :)..Oh oh what was the work experience like? It wasn't too "boring" was it? :p

ah i dont want to move to dublin either :O :(
    ah it was literally a one day work exp this year that i got myself :) it wasnt boring at all seemed really interesting :) the actuaries were really nice too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

right now it's looking like:

1. DN200 Science - Biological, Biomedical and Biomolecular Sciences
    2. DN250 Agricultural Science - Agri-Environmental Sciences
    3. DT224 Optometry
    4. DN410 Radiography
    5. GY308 Environmental Science
    6. LM092 Science with concurrent Teacher Ed. (Bio. Sciences with Phys. or Chem.)
    7. MH212 Science Education
    8. GY301 Science
    9. TR354 German/Modern Irish
    10. DN500 BA Degree - joint honours - full time - Irish / German

^ I actually love all these courses so I'm still trying to decide which is best for me. If anyone has any extra information of any of these please help! (:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

So far...

1. DN201 Computer Science
    2. TR033 Computer Science
    3. GY350 Computer Science and Information Technology
    4. MH203 Computer Science and Software Engineering
    5. DT228 Computer Science
    6. GY401 Engineering (Undenominated)
    7. LM116 Engineering Choice

I might stick jam making or bridge down though I'm still missing a spot :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Hoggy1000

Seems to be very few heading to UCC or CIT? :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Hoggy1000 wrote: »
    Seems to be very few heading to UCC or CIT? :/

If i don't get one of my first three courses (which are always around the same amount of points) I'll be going to UCC or CIT! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I was gonna put CIT down but I dunno! I've never been near the campus and have been told it's nothing special, but I'm still tempted to put it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Hoggy1000

Grindylow wrote: »
    I was gonna put CIT down but I dunno! I've never been near the campus and have been told it's nothing special, but I'm still tempted to put it down!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rziedB1r2hc#!

Have a look at that, shows a bit of the school.
    Yeah the outside of the building is a bit unappealing tbh but "dont judge a book by its cover I guess"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

If anyone is thinking about or has UL down on their CAO I'd be happy to answer questions or what not. I'm a first year myself. I'm originally from mayo, so it's quite a travel and initially thought Limerick would be hell :) In fact, you're nowhere near the city really and it's all students around where we're at :)

If anyone wants info or wants to ask questions, I'd be happy to answer them all. Just PM me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Grindylow wrote: »
    All the girls I know going there hate it, all the boys love it. So there you go.

Just finished mine, then changed it three seconds later. I'm not 100% about the order but I don't think I'll ever be, and the universe will conspire against me so that I end up going to UCC anyway :(

1. TR018 Law and French
    2. DN616 Law with French Law (BCL)
    3. TR004 Law
    4. CK302 Law and French
    5. TR024 European Studies
    6. TR257 English Literature/French
    7. CK306 Law (International)
    8. TR295 French/Italian
    9. DN541 International Languages
    10. CK101 Arts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

1. Journalism & New Media (UL) - LM039 - 435 (And B3 HL English)
    2. Liberal Arts (Mary I) - MI004 - 390
    3. Arts (General) (UCC) - CK101 - 360

and that's all folks! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭souleater3000

Hi I applied for animation in IADT today and I was just wondering when exactly do I get the email from IADT thanking me for applying to the course and the guidelines to follow in downloading the questionaire? I know it might take a day or two im just really jittery about it?

Anybody have any idea? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

1. Journalism & New Media (UL) - LM033 - 435 (And C3 HL English)
    2. Liberal Arts (Mary I) - MI004 - 390
    3. Arts (General) (UCC) - CK101 - 360

and that's all folks! :o

Don't mean to freak you out or anything but for Journalism and New Media you need a B3 in higher English... That's what the website says, unless they've changed it from last year's requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

1. DN430 Sport and Exercise Management
    2. DN514 Geography Planning and Environmental Policy
    3. DN500 BA Degree - joint honours - full time - Geography / Information Studies
    4. DT582 Journalism
    5. DB565 Journalism
    6. DB512 Business Studies
    7. DT341 Marketing
    8. DN120 Landscape Architecture
    9. DB514 Business and Law
    10. DT175 Architectural Technology

Playing with 405 points from last year. Reapplying. Probably wasting my time putting down things below number 3 because arts is only 355 so I'm well in there. Sports course is stuck on 405 so hoping it doesn't go up, and the geography one is grand points wise but it's a small course so might not get in that way.

Either way, I'm in relaxed spirits. So weird now compared to a year ago doing the CAO...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Togepi wrote: »
    Don't mean to freak you out or anything but for Journalism and New Media you need a B3 in higher English... That's what the website says, unless they've changed it from last year's requirements.

Yeah sorry, had it in my head it was C3. Ah well, need to go up a grade from Christmas so :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Keano! wrote: »
    3. DN500 BA Degree - joint honours - full time - Geography / Information Studies

Information Studies? Have you read up on that and does it sound appealing? i know someone doing just one or two modules in it just for a year and I believe it's a wild dose!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

1. Law and Business TR017
    2. Law TR004
    3. Law with Economics DN624
    4. Law with Politics DN 622
    5. Law DN600
    6. B&L DN610

first one, at 550 (!) points is just to make it look sophiticated:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Bubbleope wrote: »
    right now it's looking like:

1. DN200 Science - Biological, Biomedical and Biomolecular Sciences
    2. DN250 Agricultural Science - Agri-Environmental Sciences
    3. DT224 Optometry
    4. DN410 Radiography
    5. GY308 Environmental Science
    6. LM092 Science with concurrent Teacher Ed. (Bio. Sciences with Phys. or Chem.)
    7. MH212 Science Education
    8. GY301 Science
    9. TR354 German/Modern Irish
    10. DN500 BA Degree - joint honours - full time - Irish / German

^ I actually love all these courses so I'm still trying to decide which is best for me. If anyone has any extra information of any of these please help! (:

I did German and modern Irish for a while! Irish is absolutely lovely, five hours a week and it's really interesting. German was one of the reasons why I dropped out though - I went from top of my class to sitting in lectures almost in tears - you're thrown into the deep end, a lot of the lectures are totally in German. The class sizes are nice, usually about 25 in German and 20 in Irish, except for one or two where you're in with European studies and bess students and the likes for certain German lectures. A lot of people do Irish and German together (or at least did in my year) so you can make friends easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Beware

MH101 - Arts in Maynooth
    DN500 - Arts in UCD.

And that's all. I'm probably mad to put only two courses down, but oh well. I'll put more courses down in a couple of days time.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Are you thinking of the intercalated degree or the BMedSc? Because both are definitely options in UCC and NUIG (and I'd assume the other colleges as well), and the intercalated is available in every medical school.

What's the story with doing BMedSc in NUIG? I know it's done over the summer and you have to write a thesis/paper but not much else. What med year do you have be in to be eligible to do it? Do many do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

yamadeejit wrote: »
    1.TR072 Pharmacy
    2.RC005 Pharmacy
    3.TR075 Medicinal Chemistry
    4.TR073 Human Genetics
    5.CK703 Pharmacy
    6.TR056 Human Health and Disease
    7.TR053 Physiotherapy
    8.TR054 Occupational Therapy
    9.TR071 Science
    10. DN200 Science - Chemistry and Chemical Sciences

I have a problem that I'd reallllllllly appreciate help with. I definitely want to do Pharmacy, that's my dream. But the problem is there's only 3 pharmacy courses in Ireland, in TCD, RCSI and UCC. TCD and RCSI are fine because they're in Dublin but Cork is literally hours away. I'd only be able to go home once a month because of transport costs, etc. So should I follow my dream of doing pharmacy and put UCC higher up regardless or should I stick to Dublin for convinience?
    Appartently the RCSI and UCC courses are much more modern and updated than the Trinity one. I'm in your boots tbh:') Look at the UCC forum where I posted about Pharmacy and the replies I got. It may help your decisions. Good luck btw:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MariaxD

This is my third time changing it and i think its final:)
    Level 8
    1. DN600 Law (BCL)
    2. MH119 Law (LLB)
    3. DN610 Business and Law
    4. DN660 Commerce International
    5. DC240 Marketing Innovation and Technology
    6. GY250 Corporate Law
    7. MH112 Politics
    8. GY251 Civil Law
    9. BN110 International Business
    10. MH305 Product Design

Level 6/7
    1. CW926 Business with Law
    2. DT303 Marketing
    3. DT360 Retail Management and Marketing
    4. BN017 International Business
    5. NC008 Management of Technology in Business
    6. BN010 Business and Information Technology

Before these changes it was literally all law lol:P
    Also applied to UCAS so relieved tht they're both done but i really really wannna go to UCD!!!:D:L

• Registered Users Posts: 4 smellybelly12

At the moment its as follows..

1. CK116 Sports Studies and Physical Education
    2. LM090 Physical Education with concurrent Teacher Education
    3. CK704 Occupational Therapy
    4. DC205 Physical Education with Biology
    5. DC206 Physical Education with Mathematics
    6. CK705 Speech and Language Therapy
    7. CK202 Accounting
    8. CK201 Commerce
    9. CK712 Children's and General Nursing (Integrated)
    10. CK102 Social Science

Still not too sure of the exact order but its been like that now for a while! Im reapplying from last year with 505..do people think extra points for honours maths this year make a big difference to points? Was doing General Nursing, and now have a deffered place in Childrens and General due to extra points from a recheck..but dont think il take it! Am i mad?! Also what were other people doing (who are reapplying this year) last year in college and why are they reapplying?..

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Current choices...

1. DN201 Computer Science
    2. TR033 Computer Science
    3. GY350 Computer Science and Information Technology
    4. MH203 Computer Science and Software Engineering
    5. DT228 Computer Science
    6. GY401 Engineering (Undenominated)
    7. LM116 Engineering Choice
    8. MH302 Electronic Engineering
    9. LM118 Electronic and Computer Engineering
    10. LM110 Multimedia and Computer Games Development

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MariaxD

@smellybelly12 "do people think extra points for honours maths this year make a big difference to points?" i think they make a big enough difference think about it u could get a B1 85 + the 25 pulling u up to 100 I think it's worth it:) even though I'm terrible at HL maths only think I'm waiting for is my 25 points but I'm not counting maths so I don't get them:( lol xD sorry can't quote iPhone won't let me >< lol

Advertisement