Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2012 'What's On Your CAO?' Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Here's the alert list for UL:
    http://www2.cao.ie/AlertLists/LM_alert.pdf
    Grindylow wrote: »
    It's cancelled!

I can't believe it's not there anymore! :(
    I guess if I want to go down the languages route I'll have to do Applied Languages :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

The pressure is starting to kick in now... HELP! Hahah I know you can swap and change it around between now and May but to even narrow it down to 10 level 8's and 10 level 6/7's is proving a difficult task :(

Anyone finito with theirs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

I've joined the CAO or whatever but haven't put my courses down yet. Must get at it tomorrow! :)

What are you hoping to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I did a draft of mine and filled it all in over a month ago. No idea what I actually want to put as my number one though. :(

I went onto careersportal.ie and there's a really good course finder. You just put in what areas you want to study and a few other stuff and it lists the courses... Here's the link if anyone's interested

http://www.careersportal.ie/members/auth/courses/cao_wizard.php

• Advertisement

Yeah I've a draft done, but it's not in order or anything...

I wanna do something in computers, but not so great at the maths :/

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

i've filled mine out with random courses just so my level 8 and level 6/7 will be activated.
    not looking at it again until June 24th or sometime after my last exam and i'm done celebrating. Try not to waste time panicking and worrying about it now because you may have a complete change of mind between now and June and you have plenty of time when you're done to fill it out right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

is it wierd that we have nothing done with our forms. we've spent 2/3 classes in dec lookin at the handbook without actually doing any work. our guidance teacher said its best to do it early and yet we've nothing done

chomps_x wrote: »
    Yeah I've a draft done, but it's not in order or anything...

I wanna do something in computers, but not so great at the maths :/

I thought of that too, but turns out I'm not that suitable for it seeing as I'm **** at maths :P Haha! I went to a career guidance man and he was actually really helpful, and helped me decide all my course and stuff! You should try it if you can, if not then keep looking at loads of courses :)

Also does anyone know if you have to fill out the level 7/6 courses or can you just leave it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

SeanMadd wrote: »
    Also does anyone know if you have to fill out the level 7/6 courses or can you just leave it?

I stuck about 6 choices down last year for that category. It's not mandatory, but do give it some thought. You don't know how the exams will go, and some level 6/7's can give you the opportunity to transfer to a level 8 in 2nd year (eg: DIT Science Level 7 afaik).

Last thing you want is to have no choice but repeat if things go badly, so stick something down at least.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I know it's you can still change your CAO before the LC, but order is hugely important, make sure you seriously consider the order of your courses.

Remember, once the results come out, a computer in the CAO goes through your CAO list, starting at number 1, and keeps going down the list until it hits the first course where you satisfy
    1. Matriculation Requirements (e.g. some colleges need a third language)
    2. Grade Requirements (e.g. Ord D3 in Mathematics)
    3. Course Points (e.g. 370 points)
    in that order, and once it reaches that course, it offers you that course and effectively deletes everything else that is lower than that (you may be offered a higher placed course in second or subsequent rounds, but you can never be offered a lower placed course).

I do know people that had to defer their college course for a year because they messed up their CAO. One guy I know had enough points for his course, but because of messing up his CAO, got offered a course that he wasn't really interested in.

Think about if somebody was handing out envelopes with your chosen course in it, which envelope would you like to get first - don't think about how many points does the course have, or the apparent 'status' of the course. And there's no point listing subjects in order of descending points or anything - just because course x needed more points than course y last year, does not mean that'll be the case this year!

Good luck. There's lots of info about CAO in the sticky in this forum, make sure to read that and the handbook, it's so important to get it right! Think about order now, not in May/June - some people change the order in June after the exams end based on how they think they did in the exams - this isn't recommended, as often you can do better than you think, and miss out on a course you could have been offered by rearranging the order of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

2011: UCD 735, UCC 733*, RCSI 732.

2010: UCD 725, UCC 725, RCSI 721.

2009: UCD 719, UCC 715, RCSI 715*.

RCSI has always been lower and UCD isn't too much higher! ;)

I assumed that when jumpguy specified med university he was covering himself encase somebody said this.
    jumpguy wrote: »
    Opps, that's right, I meant just Galway! >.<

/hands head in shame

Guess not though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Downing

Not 100% but more than likely this is what my level 8's will look like

1. Woodwork & tech graph teaching - UL
    2. Engineering & tech graph teaching -UL
    3. Woodwork & Tech graph teaching - Letterfrack & GMIT
    4. Technology management - UL
    5. Wood science - UL
    6. Sustainable energy - CIT

Anybody done the woodwork teaching course in UL I would like to know what it's like??

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

Law and history UCD
    Law and politics UCD
    Law (BCL) UCD
    BESS TCD
    Business and Law Maynooth
    Business and Law DIT

thats it so far points look pretty steep for the first few but it means i need to keep the head down!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Ally7 wrote: »
    Another reason why I really want Cork is that you can swap into a science degree after year 3 if the course isn't suiting you, which is a big plus for me seeing as I'm so unsure if it's really what I want to do.

Are you thinking of the intercalated degree or the BMedSc? Because both are definitely options in UCC and NUIG (and I'd assume the other colleges as well), and the intercalated is available in every medical school. I know that that looks like advice which won't help with making the choice any easier but it ties into my opinion that every medical course in Ireland is pretty much the same, with none particularly better or worse, so if you decide to do med, you can't go wrong on location. :D So it really comes down to wherever you think you'd like most as being the best place.

If it makes you feel any better, that doubt thing is very very common. I'm just past the half way point (well just and a bit past, I guess) and I still get little twinges of "am I doing the right thing? :confused:". Thankfully most people figure it out in about a year or two and find what they really want to do instead. :D

Although, I am aware of one guy who knows that he longer wants to be a doctor and doesn't particularly want to complete the medical degree but is still studying it. Getting increasingly bitter about it too, considering he realised it well over two years ago. I regard him as the cautionary example that once you decide you don't like it, and want nothing to do with it at all, that staying on will only lead to badness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Thankfully most people figure it out in about a year or two and find what they really want to do instead.

That's not phrased the way I should have written it. :o

Most people figure out in a year or two what they really want and if it's med, then everything's fine, they stay put and carry on, but if it's not, then everything's still fine, they just do something else. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭the_big_shmoke

1. veterinary ucd

2. .............

3. .............

4. .............

5. .............

i best be getting no.1

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Downing wrote: »
    Not 100% but more than likely this is what my level 8's will look like

1. Woodwork & tech graph teaching - UL
    2. Engineering & tech graph teaching -UL
    3. Woodwork & Tech graph teaching - Letterfrack & GMIT
    4. Technology management - UL
    5. Wood science - UL
    6. Sustainable energy - CIT

Anybody done the woodwork teaching course in UL I would like to know what it's like??

I'm doing it :D In first year now. So far it has been good.
    Last semester I had a 25 hour week and it's going up to 27 this semester so i hear. Fairly big work load in it.
    The hardest thing I find about it is the woodwork practical. You are expected to be perfect. They say you have to show a mastery of craft, which could take years to get to but they expect it in the first semester. The theory can be difficult enough as well.
    The graphics is handy enough so far, just junior cert stuff really and a bit of computer work in powerpoint and on draftsight.
    Technology was good. The lecturers and teaching assistants are very approachable. There is a relaxed feeling in the workshop.
    The other two modules are maths and education. Maths is grand if you do HL maths, bit trickier for OL students. Education is all about theory's, communication skills and group work. The exam for this module was easy.
    Limerick is a lovely city and the campus is great. Accommodation is cheap enough. I'd recommend Kilmurry, Plassey and Groody(Where i am, bit outside campus, but it is at a lovely location and the rooms are massive and en-suite). Most of the woodworkers this year seem to live in Kilmurry.

Anyway that's my bit. Just don't take up on this reputation Limerick has. I'd feel safer there than in most other cities. The nights out are safer than in either of my local towns. You might love woodwork but you have to have an interest in teaching it too, just bear that in mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Downing

I'm doing it :D In first year now. So far it has been good.
    Last semester I had a 25 hour week and it's going up to 27 this semester so i hear. Fairly big work load in it.
    The hardest thing I find about it is the woodwork practical. You are expected to be perfect. They say you have to show a mastery of craft, which could take years to get to but they expect it in the first semester. The theory can be difficult enough as well.
    The graphics is handy enough so far, just junior cert stuff really and a bit of computer work in powerpoint and on draftsight.
    Technology was good. The lecturers and teaching assistants are very approachable. There is a relaxed feeling in the workshop.
    The other two modules are maths and education. Maths is grand if you do HL maths, bit trickier for OL students. Education is all about theory's, communication skills and group work. The exam for this module was easy.
    Limerick is a lovely city and the campus is great. Accommodation is cheap enough. I'd recommend Kilmurry, Plassey and Groody(Where i am, bit outside campus, but it is at a lovely location and the rooms are massive and en-suite). Most of the woodworkers this year seem to live in Kilmurry.

Anyway that's my bit. Just don't take up on this reputation Limerick has. I'd feel safer there than in most other cities. The nights out are safer than in either of my local towns. You might love woodwork but you have to have an interest in teaching it too, just bear that in mind!

Thanks very much, the insight is very helpful. I am now almost certain I will pick this course.Limerick sounds like a great city and I have only heard good things from people that have gone there...here's hoping I will get the points and they won't go up another 20 like last year!!

bscm wrote: »
    I stuck about 6 choices down last year for that category. It's not mandatory, but do give it some thought. You don't know how the exams will go, and some level 6/7's can give you the opportunity to transfer to a level 8 in 2nd year (eg: DIT Science Level 7 afaik).

Last thing you want is to have no choice but repeat if things go badly, so stick something down at least.

I have 9/10 filled out in my level 8, with a pretty good range of points(from about 330 to 500) so I think I might be safe enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

Word of advice to everyone, do not put any course on your CAO that you wouldn't consider taking. No point putting down 7 courses down if you only plan on taking one of the top three. You might be taking away the place on a course of someone who really wants it and you might just have put it down for the sake of it. Same applies to level 6/7s don't put it down unless you have any intention in taking it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Word of advice to everyone, do not put any course on your CAO that you wouldn't consider taking. No point putting down 7 courses down if you only plan on taking one of the top three. You might be taking away the place on a course of someone who really wants it and you might just have put it down for the sake of it. Same applies to level 6/7s don't put it down unless you have any intention in taking it.

Well, technically you won't be taking a course away from anyone once you don't accept it. True, they may not get offered that course on the first round, but any places that aren't accepted are reoffered in the 2nd Round (or sometimes the Third Round, which can occur any time after the 2nd round, if a course is not accepted in the 2nd round) - so anybody who would have gotten the course had you not put one a certain course down on your CAO, will get offered it eventually once you don't accept!

In my opinion, it's best to fill all 10 places. You just never know, a lot of people end up getting an offer from fairly low down their CAO list, exams can not go your way sometimes. My brother managed to get his 4th choice, but had he gotten 5 points less he would have gotten his 9th (UCD Arts), mainly due to him picking his CAO courses thinking he'd get higher points than he actually did (he was going for primary school teaching).

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Buanacainte

Anyone looking at optometry?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I assumed that when jumpguy specified med university he was covering himself encase somebody said this.p
    Ohh, I never thought of that!

Erm, yeah, I was correct, I knew it! <_<

Still very unsure as to what I should put down first on the form.

What should you do if you want to do a course that has nothing to do with languages, but you want to do a language with it?

Togepi wrote: »

What should you do if you want to do a course that has nothing to do with languages, but you want to do a language with it?

Business, law? I'm putting commerce international so I get a language too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Togepi wrote: »

For Trinity and (I think) UCD at least, you can do language electives so you can do whatever course you like and then outside of that take a language course.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DreamingAgain

1.Children's and General Nursing integrated TCD
    2.Children's and General Nursing integrated UCD
    3.Midwifery TCD
    4.Midwifery UCD
    5.General Nursing TCD
    6.General Nursing Adelaide
    7.General Nursing UCD

Fingers Crossed eeeep !

SeanMadd wrote: »
    Business, law? I'm putting commerce international so I get a language too! :)

I've had a think about both areas before but really I don't think either would interest me. I haven't done Business since first year, and Law just doesn't appeal to me, I wouldn't be very good at either!
    Anita Blow wrote: »
    For Trinity and (I think) UCD at least, you can do language electives so you can do whatever course you like and then outside of that take a language course.

Ah thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for! I'll have another look into UCD and see if it's got something for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Rebekahx

I was the first person in my class to have the cao filled out, then went and completely changed it about 4 times. Irony?:o

As it stands now:
    Level 8 Course Choices:
    1. DT505 Film and Broadcasting with a Language
    2. DT504 Film and Broadcasting
    3. DN513 English with Film
    4. DL241 English Media and Cultural Studies
    5. DN500 BA Degree - joint honours - English / Greek and Roman Civilisation
    6. MH101 Arts
    7. DT571 Social Care
    8. DN550 Social Science
    9. MH107 Social Science

Advertisement