Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    And here I thought I was popular. :D *goes off to find bag of frozen peas to reduce massively swollen head*

Well have a look to see who 'added you to their favourites'. That might make you feel better - or worse! :confused:
    Checked mine yesterday - list is huge yet have only ever heard from 3 or 4 of them! Men baffle me sometimes!! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

As far as I can see, the meet me feature throws up loads of people who haven't had any activity on the site in a long time so it is more of an excercise in generating hits for the site itself by encouraging people to log on.

It's only going to repeat people for you if you clicked on maybe. Click no enough times and you'll dry out the pool so to say. Which will result in it displaying older profiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Galvasean wrote: »
    There is no league system so to speak. I've gotten dates with women via online dating that on paper would be 'out of my league' (but then turned out to be bat s- crazy, but taht'sa different story).

Yeah, I know what you're saying, I had similar when I was on POF, a couple of years ago.
    However, I'd have to disagree on there being 'no leagues'. There clearly are as evidenced by the fact that most couples you see are of similar attractiveness, - if all other things are equal. Things often aren't though.

Power, money, wittiness, intelligence, all contribute to 'one's level' so to speak, just as having been married before, having children, lack of a sense of humour, lack of intelligence, age difference, and poverty can all detract from 'one's level'.

In real life, these plusses and minuses are more evident than on a dating site, where I think looks alone count for more. It's also easier to dismiss someone because of an obvious minus, as they aren't in your company, and you dont get to feel the attraction which often overrides these minuses in real life.

I looked back over my results since rejoining OKC in Dec, and I have first messaged over 30 women. In that time I have had one date, - she didn't feel a connection, so there wasn't a second.
    If in that same timespan I had initiated conversation with 30 available attractive, smart, IMO "generally suitable" women, I'm sure I'd have had a date with at least ten of them. This is going on past experience, but 'getting the right signals' before approach would have to be taken into account.

Problem is, in real life, I'd have to approach hundreds to find 30 that would fit the criteria above, and that just doesent happen,- for me anyway. I'd say I approached about five :(:o

I said in Dec, I'm giving it till March, - I will, but it's fairly depressing, and bad for one's self confidence. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

johnr1 wrote: »
    Yeah, I know what you're saying, I had similar when I was on POF, a couple of years ago.
    However, I'd have to disagree on there being 'no leagues'. There clearly are as evidenced by the fact that most couples you see are of similar attractiveness, - if all other things are equal. Things often aren't though.

Power, money, wittiness, intelligence, all contribute to 'one's level' so to speak, just as having been married before, having children, lack of a sense of humour, lack of intelligence, age difference, and poverty can all detract from 'one's level'.

In real life, these plusses and minuses are more evident than on a dating site, where I think looks alone count for more. It's also easier to dismiss someone because of an obvious minus, as they aren't in your company, and you dont get to feel the attraction which often overrides these minuses in real life.

I looked back over my results since rejoining OKC in Dec, and I have first messaged over 30 women. In that time I have had one date, - she didn't feel a connection, so there wasn't a second.
    If in that same timespan I had initiated conversation with 30 available attractive, smart, IMO "generally suitable" women, I'm sure I'd have had a date with at least ten of them. This is going on past experience, but 'getting the right signals' before approach would have to be taken into account.

Problem is, in real life, I'd have to approach hundreds to find 30 that would fit the criteria above, and that just doesent happen,- for me anyway. I'd say I approached about five :(:o

I said in Dec, I'm giving it till March, - I will, but it's fairly depressing, and bad for one's self confidence. :(

That's a great synopsis. Life limits our options which in turn leads to looking at alternative online options, which in turn limits your options! Haha. You have to develop a hard neck for online dating. I hope it works out for you in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Was supposed to have a date this weekend but she's just completely blanked me. I sent her a message during the week when I saw she was online asking if we were still on for this week. Got nothing back so just took the hint. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The problems you singled out: lack of responses, women with demanding or narrow criteria, I fear that's the reality most men on dating sites have to contend with. It's easier if you enter into it with no expectations, patience, resilience, and a sense of humour about it - whether you're male or female.

I don't know match.com, but as far as I'm aware it doesn't have enough Irish users to be worth a subscription. I think you'd be better off using the free sites: pof, connectingsingles, anotherfriend, ok cupid, first.

Thanks for the reply Anny :)

Yeah I figured that online dating would be similar to real life dating where the vast majority of women hold all the cards and just sit back waiting to be approached. I thought, well was hoping really, that at least some women would be willing to take a chance and send a message or make an approach as you don't need a fraction of the confidence that they would need in real life plus the rejection isn't nearly as bad as it would be to their face.

Even though I'm on match.com now I might give the free sites ago but I was advised to steer well clear of them as they are apparently full of txt speaking young girls with ridiculously high expectations looking for twentysomething guys who put up photos of their sixpacks. That might be a total cliché but I really don't think my fragile ego could handle the apparent ego massaging on sites like OKC or POF. I might have to bite the bullet on that too unfortunately.

Lastly I am Dublin based but I'm very open to meet women of any nationality either here, in another part of the country or abroad, so they don't have to be Irish women at all, infact I would mind a foreign woman for a change.

Anyway thanks again for the advice, it's very much appreciated.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Was supposed to have a date this weekend but she's just completely blanked me. I sent her a message during the week when I saw she was online asking if we were still on for this week. Got nothing back so just took the hint. :rolleyes:

Just say the word and I'll have a horses head at the end of her bed in the morning.

Just say the word and I'll have a horses head at the end of her bed in the morning.

Meh, not too fussed. At least now I don't have to miss the Newcastle match. ;)

Meh, not too fussed. At least now I don't have to miss the Newcastle match. ;)

What the hell am I supposed to do with this bloody horse?!

:mad:

Ride it

Though if it looks like this, I'd advise against it.

Sarah_Jessica_Parker_300.jpg

<_<

>_>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

take it for a "roide"

Ride it

<_<

>_>

I've had a thing for her since flight of the navigator. True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I messaged a girl weeks ago, she didn't get back to me. I accepted it and moved on, then she goes a messages me.
    I told her I liked the cut of her jib (I've used that line before!)

Ride it

<_<

>_>

I've had a thing for her since flight of the navigator. True story.

She was in Flight of the Navigator??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Panthro wrote: »
    I messaged a girl weeks ago, she didn't get back to me. I accepted it and moved on, then she goes a messages me.
    I told her I liked the cut of her jib (I've used that line before!)

How did that go down :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Pembily wrote: »

Nose first?? :D

Pembily wrote: »

She hasn't replied to me yet!:pac:
    I can live in hope though, right?..

She was in Flight of the Navigator??

Don't EVER doubt me again. I have a horses head to dispose of.

Gentle reminder that this is the Online Dating Tread folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Aaaahhh coffee date for this just text to say he cant make it now as he has to work late but can we re-arrange for Monday, but monday doesnt suit me, feck sake, i had last minute cancellations :mad:

• Advertisement

My friend wants to know will you go out with me?

But but but Flight of the Navigator is important!!!

Ara yeah sure!:pac:
    Dam right it is!:)
    (But perhaps it should be discussed in a film related forum..:p)

Ara yeah sure!:pac:
    Dam right it is!:)
    (But perhaps it should be discussed in a film related forum..:p)

Oh fine!

<sulks>

I'm about to give up on OKCupid - while it is a much better layout and has better quality of people than POF, there just isn't the volume of people, especially in Galway. If I'm being truthful, I'm not looking to date someone from outside - I'd rather not get involved in what will effectively become an LDR from the get-go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Anyone have any dates lined up then for the weekend? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

johnr1 wrote: »
    I'm wondering - like another poster, are we all just shooting at people out of our "league" ?

I generally don't agree with the concept of leagues determining who we date, evidenced by personal experience of dating women I figured were waay hotter and smarter than me, but I wonder if in RL, our own individual charisma allows us to jump up a few levels sometimes, while in photos and messages, the lack of being able to project this is the true leveller?

I think this is the main flaw with internet dating. You don't have the body language or voice or eye contact to get you interested in someone as you converse with them. People take bad photos and can structure their profiles badly. One phrase could have a person say "no thanks" due to taking the tone or context of the phrase up wrong.

Do you have to reveal you are separted on OKC? I'd leave it out and see if there is a difference. And maybe give POF a go for a week. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

She hasn't replied to me yet!:pac:
    I can live in hope though, right?..

Um no dude you are living in a river in Egypt :P

This is going to sound weird but has anyone encountered a lot of transexuals that are seemingly on POF? Their photos can seem really misleading(especially when viewed on a small screen like a smart phone's) and they list themselves as female with no mention of what they are. I've thankfully been lucky without any.. embarrassing situations.. but I still think they should fully disclose anything like that.

Completely agree with you there boneyarsebogman,
    I was on OKC, layout was top class, but the volume of people on it round Galway was very low.
    I decided to disable my account on it for the time being, and signed up to POF.
    Seems to be a lot more Galway people on it.

• Advertisement

Completely agree with you there boneyarsebogman,
    I was on OKC, layout was top class, but the volume of people on it round Galway was very low.
    I decided to disable my account on it for the time being, and signed up to POF.
    Seems to be a lot more Galway people on it.

Oh there's twice the number of Galway women on POF than OKCupid

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement