Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident in Phoenix Park this morning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I use the road when cycling there as its impossible to get any training done using that cycle lane. I've tried but am constantly being impeded by walkers. ~When forced to use it (recent road works etc) ill give the walkers a shout from afar and mutter that its a cycle lane when passing but its a lost cause, i've never seen any of them move across. What really bugs me are the parents walking their young children in buggies on it! Do they not care for their children?!? Reminds me of a woman yesterday who had the front wheels of a buggy out on the road while waiting at traffic lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Basster wrote: »
    People walk dogs beside the road absolutely everywhere else. All other footpaths are beside the road. And your post assumes dogs aren't on leads I'm guessing(?), which is a whole other issue.
    I got cleaned out of it by a dog lead before so whenever i see a dog with its owner i assume the worst!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

BostonB wrote: »
    If you want to go fast use the road. If you happy taking it easy, use the cycle path. A bell works wonders most of the time. A night get a decent light. Park is very dark.

I get nothing but abuse when I use the road in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Basster wrote: »
    People walk dogs beside the road absolutely everywhere else. All other footpaths are beside the road. And your post assumes dogs aren't on leads I'm guessing(?), which is a whole other issue.

Everywhere else you don't have a mass of trees, shrubs and ditches on one side for dogs, and kids, to go play in.

And don't start with the dogs on leads nonsense, there's no requirement that they need to be.

Some people almost look at the cycle lanes in the park as somewhere to go time trialling, a bit of common sense is required from all parties. There's a grand set of roads in the park for people to go racing around in. The only time I use the cycle lane along the avenue is first thing in the morning when the park is empty as someone has already said, or when I'm not in a hurry anywhere. Otherwise when out for a training spin there's plenty of road for me to use.

People saying the get abuse must be unlucky to meet dicks because nobody has ever even made a rude gesture to me when using them, and I'm not a ditch hugger. Maybe it's because I'm just so awesome that the traffic just can't keep up with me in order to give out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Yeah that must be it.

• Advertisement

No must about it, it is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Rew wrote: »
    Accident happend about 50-100 meters in front of me in the park this morning. Cyclist hit a pedestrian walking in the cycle lane. Sun was low and straight on and he didnt see her. Have to say I didnt see it happen as I was blinded as well but stopped when I came up to it.

Lots of blood and 2 very shaken up people. Couple of other people who saw it happen stopped as well. I rang the ambulance, work and family for the cyclist someone else did the same of pedestrian. Ambulance and a fire engine turned up and carted them off. Nasty cuts to both heads, cyclist was wearing a helmet but he got cut just below the eyebrow. OPW picked up his bike and stored it for him.

So moral is watch your self's out there...
    Why did the fire engine turn up?:confused: Someone is going to get a nasty surprise when the bill comes in for a full fire crew:eek:

Dublin Fire brigade are all paramedics so if there wasn't an ambulance available you'll get a fire brigade out to you. The fire truck may have been closer or the ambulance just wasn't available at the time but became so as the engine was on its way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Fire services are always sent out. Just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Zulu wrote: »
    Fire services are always sent out. Just in case.

Really? I didn't know that. Even in the case of a cyclist and pedestrian?
    I can understand it in the case of a car accident in case they need to cut someone out of a car, but in this case it seems bizarre.
    If I fell and hit my head on the street would the fire brigade attend?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I've gotten little abuse from out of cars when cycling but the most memorable is in the park.

I was on the westbound on-road sections of cycle lane after the first roundabout, this was a while after they were first put in, and was cycling up to the off-road cycle paths -- which I was intending to go onto. All of a sudden a group of young fools in a car drove by and one of them shouted out something like "use the ****ing cycle lane".

I was on the cycle lane.

A mixture annoyance of their stupidity and the fright of somebody shouting loudly out of a car window just beside you.

Why did the fire engine turn up?:confused: Someone is going to get a nasty surprise when the bill comes in for a full fire crew:eek:

No idea I was as surprised as you. Sound lads one of them was into MTB and started chattin to me about my bike :D

There was a bad accident on the quays this morning as well. South side at the bottom of the hill at Christchurch. 2 fire brigade units, garda motorbike, garda patrol car fighting through the traffic toward it and the sirens of an ambulance somewhere near by... Couldn't see what happened as I was on the north quays, hope it wasn't a cyclist or as serious as it seemed.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Dublin Fire brigade are all paramedics so if there wasn't an ambulance available you'll get a fire brigade out to you. The fire truck may have been closer or the ambulance just wasn't available at the time but became so as the engine was on its way.

Arrived together

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Really? I didn't know that. Even in the case of a cyclist and pedestrian?
    I can understand it in the case of a car accident in case they need to cut someone out of a car, but in this case it seems bizarre.
    If I fell and hit my head on the street would the fire brigade attend?
    Well I don't know for a fact - this is 2nd hand info. My friend is in the Fire Brigade. He works mostly on ambulance duty & dispatching as far as I can ascertain. If someone calls 999 they send the fire brigade along with whomever, as they are all paramedics, & they have the tools etc. "just in case". I guess it comes down to not risking how accurate or inaccurate the info is coming over the phone to them. Why risk it?

I could have totally picked him up incorrectly. Can anyone else confirm?

Not sure, but I've seen ambulances turn up plenty of times without a fire engine to incidents, probably all weren't accidents which is probably why no fire brigade arrived. But I've also seen fire brigades appear first until an ambulance got to the scene. Maybe a question in the Emergency Services forum if we really wanted to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭Ryath

Bambaata wrote: »
    I use the road when cycling there as its impossible to get any training done using that cycle lane. I've tried but am constantly being impeded by walkers. ~When forced to use it (recent road works etc) ill give the walkers a shout from afar and mutter that its a cycle lane when passing but its a lost cause, i've never seen any of them move across. What really bugs me are the parents walking their young children in buggies on it! Do they not care for their children?!? Reminds me of a woman yesterday who had the front wheels of a buggy out on the road while waiting at traffic lights!

Reminds me of an incident I had on them probably nearly 10 years ago only cycled for leisure and getting around back then so wasn't quite as fast as I am now:D

In cycle lane on a long straight stretch coming up on a woman pushing a buggy going the same direction as I was, slowed down a fair bit to go around her probably only a bit faster than walking pace when right as I came behind her she swung the buggy around into my path. Slammed on the brakes ended up doing a stoppie rapping my shins of the bars and balanced up in the air looking down at the baby hoping I wouldn't fall forwards. In what seemed like slow motion the back wheel came down. Mother was as shook as I was and just stammered sorry. I just muttered something about it being a bloody cycle path and hopped on the bike and tore of my shin killing me.

Just hope she was more careful in future probably still wouldn't stay out of the cycle path but a least not just swing around the buggy with out looking. Should have let a shout out coming up on her would certainly do it now but was young with a bit less sense than now, was dogmatic in my belief that it was my right to be in the cycle lane and they just shouldn't be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Ryath wrote: »
    Should have let a shout out coming up on her would certainly do it now but was young with a bit less sense than now, was dogmatic in my belief that it was my right to be in the cycle lane and they just shouldn't be there.

Or ring a bell.

Is a bell a legal requirement on a bike ?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Greenman wrote: »
    Or ring a bell.

Is a bell a legal requirement on a bike ?

Yes. See the first point under Keeping your bicycle roadworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

I wouldn't trust driver instructors to get it quite right when it comes to cycling :)

There's an exemption to the requirement for a bell in the case of a cycle constructed or adapted for use as a racing cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...There's an exemption to the requirement for a bell in the case of a cycle constructed or adapted for use as a racing cycle.

If being used for that purpose or transport to and from. I think.

Not that it matters, many have headphones on, using a mobile, or talking to friends. Some just can't walk straight. So you have slow down and take care passing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

This might be an option.:)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

hey gang, tuesday evening cycling home from work and heading towards castlenock on the cycle lane through the park going pretty fast on a good racer. I passed out a cyclist who was on my left and as I was looking ahead a cyclist came towards me with no lights and heading into town. I had to swerve and avoid a crash. I was wearing a reflextive jacket and I had two good front lights.
    I stopped and gave him a piece of my mind, I didnt care he had no lights, my problem was that he should have been accross the road on the inbound cycle lane. This was at 5.30pm with peak cycle traffic heading outbound. What a Lamp:mad:
    He told me to fock off and that you can cycle any direction on a cycle lane.
    What do ya think ???

I don't think the cycle lanes in the park have any legal status. As such there isn't any compulsory direction implied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Tombo2000

BostonB wrote: »
    I don't think the cycle lanes in the park have any legal status. As such there isn't any compulsory direction implied.

How do you mean? That they are basically not cycle lanes....that pedestrians are perfectly entitled to be there?

My own recent incident was cycling on PP cycle lane.....girl walking in front of me drops her walkman and bends down to pick it up, thereby stepping in front of my bike, I swerve to miss her and end up on the grass. What annoyed me most was that when I quite rightly gave out to her about it she started hmming and hawwing saying it wasnt her fault.....

The other one that really annoys me is peopl walking dogs with a lead on a bike lane.....how dangerous is that for all involved.

And then if you dont cycle on the bike lane you'll hear the drivers moaning "perfectly good bike lane and they wont even use it..."

I use the PP an awful lot, have never once seen a pedestrian being told to get off the cycle path. Have never once seen a dog owner told to put a lead on a dog. Have never once seen a car cautioned for speeding. I really dont know what the rangers do there apart from fannying about in eco friendly cars.

I remember last year cycling along the cycle lane heading towards Castleknock and caught up with a guy out for a training spin by the looks of it, not on a commute home. Anyway, he came behind a girl roller blading and the twat gave her a shove in the back to get her out of the way.

Tombo2000 wrote: »
    Have never once seen a dog owner told to put a lead on a dog.

And why would you expect to ?

diarmuid79 wrote: »
    hey gang, tuesday evening cycling home from work and heading towards castlenock on the cycle lane through the park going pretty fast on a good racer. I passed out a cyclist who was on my left and as I was looking ahead a cyclist came towards me with no lights and heading into town. I had to swerve and avoid a crash. I was wearing a reflextive jacket and I had two good front lights.
    I stopped and gave him a piece of my mind, I didnt care he had no lights, my problem was that he should have been accross the road on the inbound cycle lane. This was at 5.30pm with peak cycle traffic heading outbound. What a Lamp:mad:
    He told me to fock off and that you can cycle any direction on a cycle lane.
    What do ya think ???

I'd say thats wrong, you cycle on the bike lane on the side of the road you are supposed to be on......perhaps becaue its off road this rule doesnt apply though.

Anyway he should have been wearing a light.

Its disappointing that people cant just admit when they are wrong and say sorry, that you cant give someone a piece of your mind no matter how blatantly out of order they are without getting a hostile response to it.

And why would you expect to ?

because its the law last time I checked.

All dogs that have not been formally trained are supposed to be on a lead at all times in public places.

Is there some reason why I shouldnt expect people to respect the law.

(By the way, sorry for opening big can of worms.....there are dozens of thread son this subject already).

because its the law last time I checked.

All dogs that have not been formally trained are supposed to be on a lead at all times in public places.

Is there some reason why I shouldnt expect people to respect the law.

(By the way, sorry for opening big can of worms.....there are dozens of thread son this subject already).

You didn't check because what you posted is not, or ever has been, the law. It sounds made up. "Formally trained" ? Are you required to show a certificate to a ranger if required ?

You didn't check because what you posted is not, or ever has been, the law. It sounds made up. "Formally trained" ? Are you required to show a certificate to a ranger if required ?

I did check with my local Garda station, maybe you know better though.

actually, it means you have control over your dog. that if you tell your dog to come to heel straight away then the dog does it. to my mind that means formally trained. i've had plenty of dogs running up to me in the phoenix park, the owner shouting come back rover and rover not giving a flying f8ck. not fun when you have young kids with you and you know nothing about dog in question.

again, can of worms.

• Advertisement

How do you mean? That they are basically not cycle lanes....that pedestrians are perfectly entitled to be there?

The park isn't a normal public road. its in effect a private park. So we had this discussion before and the conclusion was they aren't really cycle lanes in the legal sense. They may not even be exclusive to cyclists.
    My own recent incident was cycling on PP cycle lane.....girl walking in front of me drops her walkman and bends down to pick it up, thereby stepping in front of my bike, I swerve to miss her and end up on the grass. ...

So you nearly cycled into something that you could see clearly in front of you. Pedestrians are unpredictable. You give them a wide berth and slow down around them.

Advertisement