Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County Club championships 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Plus family rivalry with the Dolans!

It will be interesting to see if the events surrounding how the Dolan's came to play for different club's in the same town are explored in the run up to the semi final.

For the Record in 1972 An Athlone GAA Team that contained Dessie Dolan Sr , Frankie Dolan Snr as well as Ken Dolan lost narrowly to Portlaoise in the Leinster Club Final ,

The Dolan's as they were called parted company with Athlone GAA in the mid 80's , Dessie aligned himself with Garrycastle and Frankie with St Brigids ,

The event's that led to them leaving Athlone GAA make for an incredible story and if people wish to get the details then a good place to start is here.

http://highcourtsearch.courts.ie/hcslive/cslogin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭CLARiiON

galait wrote: »

Link brings you to a disclaimer.
    To be fair what happened 28yrs ago should stay in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

CLARiiON wrote: »
    Link brings you to a disclaimer.
    To be fair what happened 28yrs ago should stay in the past.

Everyone around Athlone or Roscommon/Westmeath GAA are familiar with the history - or at least some version of it:rolleyes:

It does add a bit of fun to the proceedings but there is no reason to discuss it here. The real issue in the game is the great local rivalry of lads who probably went to school together/worked together etc. It is really great for the town and everyone around. It would be great if the game could be played in Athlone but I suppose it can't.

Well done to Garrycastle - if we can't have Brigids in Croker in March we can support the near neighbours.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭CLARiiON

wow sierra wrote: »
    Everyone around Athlone or Roscommon/Westmeath GAA are familiar with the history - or at least some version of it:rolleyes:

It does add a bit of fun to the proceedings but there is no reason to discuss it here. :D

Agreed!!
    Rumour has it the game is set for 18th ish of Feb.
    Possible venues - Tmore Lford or Bsloe!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Plus family rivalry with the Dolans!

It will be interesting to see if the events surrounding how the Dolan's came to play for different club's in the same town are explored in the run up to the semi final.]
    Very inconsiderate of them to put that big Ould river in the middle of the town ....,..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

When a player is fouled after striking the ball the free is meant to be from where the ball lands, unless I am mistaken.

In which case, clear cut free.

I was cheering from Brigids but the ref was not to blame.

I didn't know that was the rule. A free kick AND advantage! thats pretty generous

tbh I can't remember exactly what incident the ref gave the free for , I thought he brought play up the field because number 3 ( Graham Norton) punched the ball away after the whistle was blown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

It will be interesting to see if the events surrounding how the Dolan's came to play for different club's in the same town are explored in the run up to the semi final.

For the Record in 1972 An Athlone GAA Team that contained Dessie Dolan Sr , Frankie Dolan Snr as well as Ken Dolan lost narrowly to Portlaoise in the Leinster Club Final ,

The Dolan's as they were called parted company with Athlone GAA in the mid 80's , Dessie aligned himself with Garrycastle and Frankie with St Brigids ,

The event's that led to them leaving Athlone GAA make for an incredible story and if people wish to get the details then a good place to start is here.

Frankie and Dessie were relative late starters in the game. Young Frankie always lived in County Roscommon, albeit the roscommon side of Athlone. He never had any affiliation with Westmeath.

Up to the age of 17-18 Frankie always played soccer, so to say his ould fella was alligned with St Brigids for all that time after leaving Athlone is false.

Simple fact is, Frankie Junior was always a roscommon man, barring a brief stint in Ballymahon.

Dessie for as long as I can remember was always a Garrycastle player. And a bloody loyal and superb one at that. Both lads have great talent, Dessie the straight laced pro (in an amateur game) and Frankie the maverick of the two.

Dessie edged it for me in terms of longevity, but Frankie was superb for his years with Roscommon.

Very very interesting to see St Brigids v Garrycastle, never had any reason to play against each other in a true competition like this. The Brigids lads and Garrycastle lads probably grew up together despite being positioned on separate sides of the county lines.

Now for the crux of the matter. I believe the Dolan contingent for Garrycastle to be better players and more influential collectively to their team. Take Dessie, Gary, James and Alan Fox out of the side and there are not alot of scores in the side.

Take Frankie, Garvan and Darren out of the Brigids team but you still have a formidable enough outfit.

It will be a very tasty encounter, physical with alot of friendly fire so to speak but I firmly believe Brigids to win this and win it well.

And i'm a neutral by the way.

Frankie and Dessie were relative late starters in the game. Young Frankie always lived in County Roscommon, albeit the roscommon side of Athlone. He never had any affiliation with Westmeath.

Up to the age of 17-18 Frankie always played soccer, so to say his ould fella was alligned with St Brigids for all that time after leaving Athlone is false.

Simple fact is, Frankie Junior was always a roscommon man, barring a brief stint in Ballymahon.

Dessie for as long as I can remember was always a Garrycastle player. And a bloody loyal and superb one at that. Both lads have great talent, Dessie the straight laced pro (in an amateur game) and Frankie the maverick of the two.

Dessie edged it for me in terms of longevity, but Frankie was superb for his years with Roscommon.

Very very interesting to see St Brigids v Garrycastle, never had any reason to play against each other in a true competition like this. The Brigids lads and Garrycastle lads probably grew up together despite being positioned on separate sides of the county lines.

Now for the crux of the matter. I believe the Dolan contingent for Garrycastle to be better players and more influential collectively to their team. Take Dessie, Gary, James and Alan Fox out of the side and there are not alot of scores in the side.

Take Frankie, Garvan and Darren out of the Brigids team but you still have a formidable enough outfit.

It will be a very tasty encounter, physical with alot of friendly fire so to speak but I firmly believe Brigids to win this and win it well.

And i'm a neutral by the way.

Incorrect - Several Generations of Dolans played with Athlone upto the mid 80's , I am referring to the specific events which lead the Dolan's having having to find other clubs in the area,

Does Anyone remember when 2 Athlone Team's were trying to take the field for a championship match against The Downs in 85 or 86 ,

The charlatan team only stood down when life ban's were threatened.

BTW The Manager of the Charlatan Team went on to manage the Ballymahon team you mention.

There is plenty more unsavoury stuff but I will leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I didn't know that was the rule. A free kick AND advantage! thats pretty generous

Not really if you think about it. The player being fouled has done well to play the ball away up the field despite being fouled. He shouldn't lose the rewards of that endeavour by having the free back at where it was before he played it. Neither should the fouling player go unpunished because he hasn't managed to hinder the opposition as much as he would have liked.

A free has to be given, the only issue is where it ought to be taken from, and there's no argument for penalising the player who was fouled by bringing the free back dozens of yards.

In any case, it's not a new rule, I didn't see the incident but it sounds like there was nothing untoward whatsoever in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

When a player is fouled after striking the ball the free is meant to be from where the ball lands, unless I am mistaken.

In which case, clear cut free.

I was cheering from Brigids but the ref was not to blame.

Brigids left themselves with too much to do, they done it in games in the Dublin Championship too, opposing teams would open a bit of a gap but Brigids would slowly reel them back in.

It was a free alright, ref was poor at times, Barry Cahill got some poor treatment, all part of the game I guess.

As has been said ref not to blame and best of luck to Garrycastle in the All-Ireland series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭thewildcat

no mention of the ref, he was just great for garycastle

why blame the ref, st Brigids had a forward was it Darcy who kicked brutal wides in front of goal if Brigids had to win we wouldn't hear nothing about the ref.

take your beating best team won.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

A draw would have been the fairest result though.

But I'm a little surprised that Brigids won the Dublin championship ahead of the likes of Kilmacud, Vincents and Plunketts, as they're not that great. Garrycastle won't win the All-Ireland. Actually I'd fancy Brigids from Roscommon to beat them.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    A draw would have been the fairest result though.

But I'm a little surprised that Brigids won the Dublin championship ahead of the likes of Kilmacud, Vincents and Plunketts, as they're not that great. Garrycastle won't win the All-Ireland. Actually I'd fancy Brigids from Roscommon to beat them.

They beat Crokes and Plunketts as you prob know, didn't play Vincents but would of beaten them IMO.

Hard working, very fit team that never gave up in any games, couples with the fact bringing on the right subs at the right time.

They are a very good side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

It's a great story, but THAT High Court and Supreme Court case (I think it is STILL running even after 2001), is exactly why they clubs involved would want to leave the past to where it is.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rivals-line-out-for-replay-of-gaa-fund-row-17-years-later-346984.html

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/judgment-reserved-in-16yearold-gaa-trustee-case-340461.html

That is not necessarily the reason why people broke away from Athlone to set up Garrycastle, just to make clear. It sure buggered Athlone's future though, last Championship since 1998 and despite a huge underage set up, has little or nothing in the way of County Championships (damn amalgamation clubs, can't count league titles)

I use to always laugh and think, if the three clubs of South Roscommon of Padraig Pearses, Clann na Gael and St Brigids and the two Athlone Town clubs of Athlone and Garrycastle and maybe Tubberclair (they are wholly into the Westmeath County team, more so than the town of Athlone, so maybe not) all joined together for an InterCounty team of Greater Athlone, it would be a pretty handy team with a decent population (better than Leitrim anyway)

There will be some craic in Athlone, or at least the GAA fraternity in the Athlone Region for the next couple of months. Very few will be able to say that they don't know someone involved in both clubs.

Incorrect - Several Generations of Dolans played with Athlone upto the mid 80's , I am referring to the specific events which lead the Dolan's having having to find other clubs in the area,

Does Anyone remember when 2 Athlone Team's were trying to take the field for a championship match against The Downs in 85 or 86 ,

The charlatan team only stood down when life ban's were threatened.

BTW The Manager of the Charlatan Team went on to manage the Ballymahon team you mention.

There is plenty more unsavoury stuff but I will leave it at that

First of all, he managed them successfully, in a time when Clonguish were the big dogs in Longford. Didn't Frankie (nephew) have his own problems and played with them and practically won the Country final for them (free kicks)?

Secondly, lets not wash dirty linen in public. Any respectable town lends up demanding more thatn one team, they are not and will not be the first clubs/players to fall out over something.

Anyway, it explains Mr Dolan never got and probably never will get the Westmeath job (despite a good job he did with Leitrim), he has not his punishment. (You would have taught the Mullingar side of the county would have been delighted that the POWER HOUSES that was Athlone GAA were now smashed lol)

CLARiiON wrote: »
    Agreed!!
    Rumour has it the game is set for 18th ish of Feb.
    Possible venues - Tmore Lford or Bsloe!

Every one is happy then.Will get a huge crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Look lads, IMO ye should stop stirring the sh1t about something that occurred almost 30 years ago and has SFA to do with any of the players togging in February 18th. Most people with a passing interest in football in Ros or Westmeath will know the bones of the Athlone story as was noted earlier and their in little need to rake over old coals.
    For what it's worth, Frankie did almost single handedly win the Longford title for a workmanlike Ballymahon outfit. His display's from play and placed balls that year were serious inspite of serious abuse on and off he field (i remember being at the final in front of a boistorous Clonguish crowd on the final day and they were hardly able to talk during the 2nd half)

As i noted a few weeks ago, this is an almost unique game in that these 2 teams will know each other inside-out, not only due to the relations on either side but also the commonality of Anthony Cunnungham managing both teams in recent years, and the fact that they are relativly frequent opponents in challenge games in spite of (i believe) never playing in a real competitive game before. Be a close one and while the Biddy's will be favourites, there are holes in their defence that Cross' exposed last year and Dessie may be able to exploit.

Look lads, IMO ye should stop stirring the sh1t about something that occurred almost 30 years ago and has SFA to do with any of the players togging in February 18th. Most people with a passing interest in football in Ros or Westmeath will know the bones of the Athlone story as was noted earlier and their in little need to rake over old coals.
    For what it's worth, Frankie did almost single handedly win the Longford title for a workmanlike Ballymahon outfit. His display's from play and placed balls that year were serious inspite of serious abuse on and off he field (i remember being at the final in front of a boistorous Clonguish crowd on the final day and they were hardly able to talk during the 2nd half)

As i noted a few weeks ago, this is an almost unique game in that these 2 teams will know each other inside-out, not only due to the relations on either side but also the commonality of Anthony Cunnungham managing both teams in recent years, and the fact that they are relativly frequent opponents in challenge games in spite of (i believe) never playing in a real competitive game before. Be a close one and while the Biddy's will be favourites, there are holes in their defence that Cross' exposed last year and Dessie may be able to exploit.

All of these lads would have played with and against each other in street leagues for their clubs since they were young (U 10 Lough Ree league, U16 Newsfair leagues - ) and in school teams.

It will be too close to call, and Brigid' s should not (and won't) be getting too cocky. Neither team will or should fear the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Alaska1 wrote: »
    Brigids left themselves with too much to do, they done it in games in the Dublin Championship too, opposing teams would open a bit of a gap but Brigids would slowly reel them back in.

It was a free alright, ref was poor at times, Barry Cahill got some poor treatment, all part of the game I guess.

As has been said ref not to blame and best of luck to Garrycastle in the All-Ireland series.

This.

Ref was not the difference between the sides but he was brutal. Brigids only kicked 1 score in the 1st half, they left themselves to much to do.

A few things I couldn't believe from the ref:

1.The early yellows for what seemed nothing
    2.The treatment of Barry Cahill, disgraceful, how Dolan wasn't sent off(Wasn't even spoken to) for running across the pitch to throw a dig at him I don't know.
    3. 1minute injury time? There was 7(I think) subs made, 30 seconds each and Dessie Dolan was on the deck for 3-4 minutes before a miracle revovery to start running around again.

After the disaster aginst Templeogue they were the best team in Dublin, Crokes, Plunketts, Na Fianna, Ballymun and all in a few weeks. All you have to do is look at how many Blue Stars they got and should have had more. How Alan Daly didn't get one I don't know
    tbh I can't remember exactly what incident the ref gave the free for , I thought he brought play up the field because number 3 ( Graham Norton) punched the ball away after the whistle was blown.

3 was Martin Cahill. It was one of the decisions the ref got correct unfortunately! Garrycastle player taken out just after the pass down the pitch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Watched the replay of the game on TG4 player and the last free was 100% correct.
    However, was it just me or did the Garrycastle goal look suspiciously like a square ball? I really hope they keep the new rule in the New Year because what is a square ball one week is a perfectly good goal the next.

• Advertisement

However, was it just me or did the Garrycastle goal look suspiciously like a square ball? I really hope they keep the new rule in the New Year because what is a square ball one week is a perfectly good goal the next.

I was in the stand and it wasnt questioned,looked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

They beat Crokes and Plunketts as you prob know, didn't play Vincents but would of beaten them IMO.

Hard working, very fit team that never gave up in any games, couples with the fact bringing on the right subs at the right time.

I agree, but I was just saying that they lack the class of a really top team. They're resilient snd hard working snd all of that but they haveb't the class that the really good teams have.

I agree, but I was just saying that they lack the class of a really top team. They're resilient snd hard working snd all of that but they haveb't the class that the really good teams have.

Madness.

Cahill - Dublin club player of year and class act
    Andrews - outstanding championship and should be on Dublin panel
    Supple - Quality, right up there with Cluxton
    O'Loughlin - Just can't be stopped, should have got blue star
    Sean Murray - The performance v Portlaois alone will make Gilroy sit up
    Norton - Didn't give Jayo a sniff in Dublin final

Then you have Lally who has fallen out and Kev Bonner injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I think you're waaay too sensitive on the issue. No one is trying to '**** stir' and talking about the context is completely valid in the context of the upcoming match.

So if Brigids don't have this class, assume you haven't seen too much of them this year, what do the other teams left in the All-Ireland Series have ? Brigids (Ros) and Garrycastle as compared to Brigids ?

AGC wrote: »
    Madness.

Cahill - Dublin club player of year and class act
    Andrews - outstanding championship and should be on Dublin panel
    Supple - Quality, right up there with Cluxton
    O'Loughlin - Just can't be stopped, should have got blue star
    Sean Murray - The performance v Portlaois alone will make Gilroy sit up
    Norton - Didn't give Jayo a sniff in Dublin final

Then you have Lally who has fallen out and Kev Bonner injured.

Dub stars ya mean ? he did get 1, infact he got 1 in both football and hurling.

Dub stars ya mean ? he did get 1, infact he got 1 in both football and hurling.

Not in starting 15

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I agree BTW did you hear the one about the Landlady of the "Hooker Bar(now Gerties)" and the former Roscommon Goalkeeper and her husband in the SPA Hotel in Lucan

Yawn. Trying to keep people from talking about something as primary to the very existence of Garrycastle (at least as a force) as the implosion of the Athlone GAA club when they're about to play their - literal - breathern from Roscommon in perhaps the most unique pairing in the history of the All-Ireland club championships is a bit like trying to stop a flood with a cardboard box.

I feel that These 2 Team's (Garrycastle & St Brigids) have almost no chance of Winning the Club Championship Outright.

The fact's are Last Sunday St Brigids (Dublin) only Turned up for the Last 20 minutes and made Garrycastle look feeble,

I have attended the last 2 Connaught Finals and Last Year in Tuam St Brigid's(Roscommon) were woeful and only a lucky last minute goal forced extra time in which they ran out easy winner's ,
    This Year the Ref proved why the GAA stinks and destroyed the Game and ensured he got revenge against Corofin for his own club in Ballina.

After attending the All Ireland Final Last Year , They only observation that I could make was that if St Brigids played Crossmaglen on 10 consecutive Sunday's they would be lucky to win once.

These 2 teams are simply not god enough , Maybe Dr Croke's or Cross will have a bad day buy I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

I feel that These 2 Team's (Garrycastle & St Brigids) have almost no chance of Winning the Club Championship Outright.

The fact's are Last Sunday St Brigids (Dublin) only Turned up for the Last 20 minutes and made Garrycastle look feeble,

I have attended the last 2 Connaught Finals and Last Year in Tuam St Brigid's(Roscommon) were woeful and only a lucky last minute goal forced extra time in which they ran out easy winner's ,
    This Year the Ref proved why the GAA stinks and destroyed the Game and ensured he got revenge against Corofin for his own club in Ballina.

After attending the All Ireland Final Last Year , They only observation that I could make was that if St Brigids played Crossmaglen on 10 consecutive Sunday's they would be lucky to win once.

These 2 teams are simply not god enough , Maybe Dr Croke's or Cross will have a bad day buy I doubt it.

Don't worry, no one is going to rise to your bait. :rolleyes:

Advertisement