Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,560 ✭✭✭billyhead

Just wonderin if any of you suffering from depression have notified your employer about this and if so how have they reacted i.e given you less responsibilities, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

billyhead wrote: »
    Just wonderin if any of you suffering from depression have notified your employer about this and if so how have they reacted i.e given you less responsibilities, etc?

I never have and never will.

That's my personal opinion and that's the way I've done it.

It is none of their business as long as I can do my job.

Luckily I've always been able to work, if anything having work to get up for is what kept me slightly sane.

When I was first diagnosed with depression it was 1996, so different world in terms of understanding, it was only the wierdos who suffered with their "nerves" and nobody really spoke about it.

I know some employers are probably very open about it and provide counselling.

Maybe it's because I'm an aul one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I've only had one job since being diagnosed,it was a small company. My boss ended up asking why I had so many appointments and I had to explain why my memory was so bad. He was good enough.not less responsibility but I felt comfortable enough taking days off when I couldn't get out of bed. In return I did my best to make up the time I missed. I was having a problem with one of the guys bullying me but in the end there wasn't much he could do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭missvirgo

Wouldn't dream of it. Not in a million years. Not for all the tea in china. No way, josé.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I have never directly said anything to employers, but some of them seem to have an idea. One manager notices that my moods can switch dramatically and used to always ask me if I am okay/why am I acting like this/you are not yourself etc. He doesn't seem to bring it up anymore though.

The only bad thing that's ever been said to me at an appraisal at work is "you can be 100% somedays and other days you can be terrible, the way you work depends on what mood you're in." Yup!

• Advertisement

Kooli wrote: »

:D It's funny cos it's true.

Fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

with the very very odd exception we are lights years from depression being accepted as a normal illness by employers: in part because of the whole health and safety stuff and a litigation driven culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

One of the best things about the Sopranos is that it dealt with depression in a real way. Tony Soprano had depression and a major part of the show was him coming to terms with that and trying to deal with it. In the final series
    when his son tried to kill himself
    he talks about it afterwards in therapy:
    Tony Soprano: It's in his blood, this miserable ****in' existence. My rotten, ****in' putrid genes have infected my kid's soul. That's my gift to my son.
    Dr. Jennifer Melfi: I know all this is difficult but I'm very glad we're having this discussion.
    Tony Soprano: Really, really? 'Cause I gotta be honest, I think it ****in' sucks.
    Dr. Jennifer Melfi: What does?
    Tony Soprano: This. Therapy. I HATE this ****in' ****! Seriously, we're both adults here, right? So after all is said and done, after all the complainin' and the cryin' and all the ****in' bull****... is this all there is?

Here's a great cartoon that I posted in the other depression thread. It captures the plight that a lot of sufferers feel when trying to explain to non-sufferers what they're feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

AstridBean wrote: »
    Curiously, exercise has always made me feel really low afterwards, my mood completely drops.

If you exercise for a long period - over 45 minutes I think - It will result in elevated levels of cortisol, the stress hormone. There is evidence that cortisol can negatively influence depression, possibly even causing it in some cases..

Keeping the exercise to a shorter length will be just as effective in terms of benefit while not significantly elevating cortisol levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

De Vore,
    I'd say being big D is a must for modding the Covies:D

For us, as parents of a 'depressed teenage daughter', [ she is now 35 and the 3rd grand-nipper is on the way], having the proper diagnoses is key.

It hit big time with puberty and the Leaving Cert. There was so much other stuff going on that it was tough to spot: a caring GP was the breakthrough.

Our daughter is rapid cycle bi-polar and the rate of change from a mega-high to a mega-low is just plain scary.

De Vore, Thank you for kicking off this thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I haven't really got much of a story to tell, but it's been helpful reading other people's, so I'll share my own experience.

I've suffered with depression on and off since I was in school, although I've only recently recognised it for what it is. It was around this time last year that I encountered a similar thread to this one, and it made me start thinking about getting help (thanks for that, Boardsies).

But, for some reason, I just could not bring myself to talk to someone about it. I'd hope against hope that someone would ask me how I was doing (and really want to know) but taking the first step myself just seemed so hard. I think I was pretty scared of being told to just walk it off. I think I was embarrassed, too. I guess I'd somewhat bought into the bullshit stigma surrounding mental illness in this country.

But anyway, last week something utterly inconsequential happened and bothered me so much that I confined myself to my room for the best part of two days. After that, I decided enough was enough. I talked to someone. And instead of judging or shunning me, this friend told me that he'd recently been on a course of antidepressants and proceeded to give me some very helpful advice on dealing with the condition.

I'm not on medication or in counselling (not yet anyway), but for the first time in a long time, I kind of feel like I could possibly take back some semblance of control over my life. And Dev's OP has reinforced that a bit.

I really like the description of depression as "flatlining." I think it can be a difficult illness to recognise in yourself since it's almost automatically linked to sadness. For me at least, while sadness was certainly a part of it, apathy and irritability seemed to be the main order of the day, along with intermittent bursts of despair or anger.

Sorry if this was a bit rambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

This was sent to me today. For the last year and a bit i've had all kinds of health issues, from mental to physical. I've found myself trying to explain to people what it's like but from now on I'm just going to do this.

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory-written-by-christine-miserandino/
    My best friend and I were in the diner, talking. As usual, it was very late and we were eating French fries with gravy. Like normal girls our age, we spent a lot of time in the diner while in college, and most of the time we spent talking about boys, music or trivial things, that seemed very important at the time. We never got serious about anything in particular and spent most of our time laughing.
    SpoonGirlHat-150x150.png
    As I went to take some of my medicine with a snack as I usually did, she watched me with an awkward kind of stare, instead of continuing the conversation. She then asked me out of the blue what it felt like to have Lupus and be sick. I was shocked not only because she asked the random question, but also because I assumed she knew all there was to know about Lupus. She came to doctors with me, she saw me walk with a cane, and throw up in the bathroom. She had seen me cry in pain, what else was there to know?
    I started to ramble on about pills, and aches and pains, but she kept pursuing, and didn’t seem satisfied with my answers. I was a little surprised as being my roommate in college and friend for years; I thought she already knew the medical definition of Lupus. Then she looked at me with a face every sick person knows well, the face of pure curiosity about something no one healthy can truly understand. She asked what it felt like, not physically, but what it felt like to be me, to be sick.
    As I tried to gain my composure, I glanced around the table for help or guidance, or at least stall for time to think. I was trying to find the right words. How do I answer a question I never was able to answer for myself? How do I explain every detail of every day being effected, and give the emotions a sick person goes through with clarity. I could have given up, cracked a joke like I usually do, and changed the subject, but I remember thinking if I don’t try to explain this, how could I ever expect her to understand. If I can’t explain this to my best friend, how could I explain my world to anyone else? I had to at least try.
    At that moment, the spoon theory was born. I quickly grabbed every spoon on the table; hell I grabbed spoons off of the other tables. I looked at her in the eyes and said “Here you go, you have Lupus”. She looked at me slightly confused, as anyone would when they are being handed a bouquet of spoons. The cold metal spoons clanked in my hands, as I grouped them together and shoved them into her hands.
    I explained that the difference in being sick and being healthy is having to make choices or to consciously think about things when the rest of the world doesn’t have to. The healthy have the luxury of a life without choices, a gift most people take for granted.
    Most people start the day with unlimited amount of possibilities, and energy to do whatever they desire, especially young people. For the most part, they do not need to worry about the effects of their actions. So for my explanation, I used spoons to convey this point. I wanted something for her to actually hold, for me to then take away, since most people who get sick feel a “loss” of a life they once knew. If I was in control of taking away the spoons, then she would know what it feels like to have someone or something else, in this case Lupus, being in control.
    She grabbed the spoons with excitement. She didn’t understand what I was doing, but she is always up for a good time, so I guess she thought I was cracking a joke of some kind like I usually do when talking about touchy topics. Little did she know how serious I would become?
    I asked her to count her spoons. She asked why, and I explained that when you are healthy you expect to have a never-ending supply of “spoons”. But when you have to now plan your day, you need to know exactly how many “spoons” you are starting with. It doesn’t guarantee that you might not lose some along the way, but at least it helps to know where you are starting. She counted out 12 spoons. She laughed and said she wanted more. I said no, and I knew right away that this little game would work, when she looked disappointed, and we hadn’t even started yet. I’ve wanted more “spoons” for years and haven’t found a way yet to get more, why should she? I also told her to always be conscious of how many she had, and not to drop them because she can never forget she has Lupus.
    I asked her to list off the tasks of her day, including the most simple. As, she rattled off daily chores, or just fun things to do; I explained how each one would cost her a spoon. When she jumped right into getting ready for work as her first task of the morning, I cut her off and took away a spoon. I practically jumped down her throat. I said ” No! You don’t just get up. You have to crack open your eyes, and then realize you are late. You didn’t sleep well the night before. You have to crawl out of bed, and then you have to make your self something to eat before you can do anything else, because if you don’t, you can’t take your medicine, and if you don’t take your medicine you might as well give up all your spoons for today and tomorrow too.” I quickly took away a spoon and she realized she hasn’t even gotten dressed yet. Showering cost her spoon, just for washing her hair and shaving her legs. Reaching high and low that early in the morning could actually cost more than one spoon, but I figured I would give her a break; I didn’t want to scare her right away. Getting dressed was worth another spoon. I stopped her and broke down every task to show her how every little detail needs to be thought about. You cannot simply just throw clothes on when you are sick. I explained that I have to see what clothes I can physically put on, if my hands hurt that day buttons are out of the question. If I have bruises that day, I need to wear long sleeves, and if I have a fever I need a sweater to stay warm and so on. If my hair is falling out I need to spend more time to look presentable, and then you need to factor in another 5 minutes for feeling badly that it took you 2 hours to do all this.
    I think she was starting to understand when she theoretically didn’t even get to work, and she was left with 6 spoons. I then explained to her that she needed to choose the rest of her day wisely, since when your “spoons” are gone, they are gone. Sometimes you can borrow against tomorrow’s “spoons”, but just think how hard tomorrow will be with less “spoons”. I also needed to explain that a person who is sick always lives with the looming thought that tomorrow may be the day that a cold comes, or an infection, or any number of things that could be very dangerous. So you do not want to run low on “spoons”, because you never know when you truly will need them. I didn’t want to depress her, but I needed to be realistic, and unfortunately being prepared for the worst is part of a real day for me.
    We went through the rest of the day, and she slowly learned that skipping lunch would cost her a spoon, as well as standing on a train, or even typing at her computer too long. She was forced to make choices and think about things differently. Hypothetically, she had to choose not to run errands, so that she could eat dinner that night.
    When we got to the end of her pretend day, she said she was hungry. I summarized that she had to eat dinner but she only had one spoon left. If she cooked, she wouldn’t have enough energy to clean the pots. If she went out for dinner, she might be too tired to drive home safely. Then I also explained, that I didn’t even bother to add into this game, that she was so nauseous, that cooking was probably out of the question anyway. So she decided to make soup, it was easy. I then said it is only 7pm, you have the rest of the night but maybe end up with one spoon, so you can do something fun, or clean your apartment, or do chores, but you can’t do it all.
    I rarely see her emotional, so when I saw her upset I knew maybe I was getting through to her. I didn’t want my friend to be upset, but at the same time I was happy to think finally maybe someone understood me a little bit. She had tears in her eyes and asked quietly “Christine, How do you do it? Do you really do this everyday?” I explained that some days were worse then others; some days I have more spoons then most. But I can never make it go away and I can’t forget about it, I always have to think about it. I handed her a spoon I had been holding in reserve. I said simply, “I have learned to live life with an extra spoon in my pocket, in reserve. You need to always be prepared.”
    Its hard, the hardest thing I ever had to learn is to slow down, and not do everything. I fight this to this day. I hate feeling left out, having to choose to stay home, or to not get things done that I want to. I wanted her to feel that frustration. I wanted her to understand, that everything everyone else does comes so easy, but for me it is one hundred little jobs in one. I need to think about the weather, my temperature that day, and the whole day’s plans before I can attack any one given thing. When other people can simply do things, I have to attack it and make a plan like I am strategizing a war. It is in that lifestyle, the difference between being sick and healthy. It is the beautiful ability to not think and just do. I miss that freedom. I miss never having to count “spoons”.
    After we were emotional and talked about this for a little while longer, I sensed she was sad. Maybe she finally understood. Maybe she realized that she never could truly and honestly say she understands. But at least now she might not complain so much when I can’t go out for dinner some nights, or when I never seem to make it to her house and she always has to drive to mine. I gave her a hug when we walked out of the diner. I had the one spoon in my hand and I said “Don’t worry. I see this as a blessing. I have been forced to think about everything I do. Do you know how many spoons people waste everyday? I don’t have room for wasted time, or wasted “spoons” and I chose to spend this time with you.”
    Ever since this night, I have used the spoon theory to explain my life to many people. In fact, my family and friends refer to spoons all the time. It has been a code word for what I can and cannot do. Once people understand the spoon theory they seem to understand me better, but I also think they live their life a little differently too. I think it isn’t just good for understanding Lupus, but anyone dealing with any disability or illness. Hopefully, they don’t take so much for granted or their life in general. I give a piece of myself, in every sense of the word when I do anything. It has become an inside joke. I have become famous for saying to people jokingly that they should feel special when I spend time with them, because they have one of my “spoons”.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

last week something utterly inconsequential happened and bothered me so much that I confined myself to my room for the best part of two days

It wasnt "being out of milk" was it? I feckin' hate that. Bastardin' milk, gets me every time. :)

Talking to 2 people gives you about a 50/50 chance of one of them being having it too.

Ever sit in a film that was sh*t with your mates thinking "jesus this film is sh*t" and then one of you breaks ranks and says "this film sucks, anyone else want to go for a pint" and everyone goes "yeaaaah, jesus this is crap, lets split".

I'm waiting for the day we all suddenly do that about mental health. :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

It's soooooooo beautiful

see attachment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

cloud493 wrote: »
    I have a job, and that. I live my own right now, and I just get... Worse on my own. I don't have that many mates either.

similar situation. i check out night courses regularly and try to do 1 per college term. anything from flower arranging to criminal psychology!! but it gets me out of the house at least one evening a week. you know just to be doing something other than staring at the tv. worth a look, they arent that expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

whirlpool wrote: »
    It's soooooooo beautiful

see attachment :)

Is that a record???? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

similar situation. i check out night courses regularly and try to do 1 per college term. anything from flower arranging to criminal psychology!! but it gets me out of the house at least one evening a week. you know just to be doing something other than staring at the tv. worth a look, they arent that expensive.

I took up a team sport. Had the pressure to turn up to training and to matches, this forced me out of the house 2 evenings a week and Saturday afternoons. It was also a new social outlet and the exercise was great.

I set myself the goal of never missing training or a match and stuck to it no matter what. It was tough to do (particularly faking a good mood whenever I went there), but looking back, it is a major contributor to keeping me in some way functional in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

I don't ever usually post in here, but I'm feeling really really low. I was wondering about counselling, doea anyone know how to get I touch with free counselling services? I'm a student sp don't have much money but feel I need someone to talk to. If I can't get free counselling, roughly how much would it cost? And how do you pick a counsellor? I looked at the list online and there are hundreds!

Sorry for the questions. Just feel that this is my only option now.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

For the last couple months i have been really struggling, struggle to get to sleep, get up in the morning, participate in conversations and i cry at the drop of a hat for no reason at all - i can be sitting at my desk and just get tearful.
    Work situation is unsettled due to contract changes and i've been having a few health issues but I am normally chatty and happy-go-lucky kind of person.

Lately at work people have been noticing im a lot quieter and withdrawn ans asking if everything is ok. Everytime someone asks i say "yeah sure im fine just really busy" when on the inside im screaming for help. I just can't get the words out.

On Monday i was called into a meeting with my supervisor, who i would also consider to be my closest friend and she asked me straight up what was up and i lied - i said the only thing bothering me was the whole contract thing. At one point i was going to say it but i stopped myself. She is the only person i trust and i could tell her.

How do i bring it up? the longer i leave it the worse i feel. Its our christmas party friday and part of me doesn't want to say anything in case i bring down the mood.

I don't ever usually post in here, but I'm feeling really really low. I was wondering about counselling, doea anyone know how to get I touch with free counselling services? I'm a student sp don't have much money but feel I need someone to talk to. If I can't get free counselling, roughly how much would it cost? And how do you pick a counsellor? I looked at the list online and there are hundreds!

Check your college. They usually offer free/professional counselling services to their students. Much better than going through the HSE IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

missvirgo wrote: »
    Check your college. They usually offer free/professional counselling services to their students. Much better than going through the HSE IMO.

Another thing I tried,didn't work for me.

If you go through your doctor she might refer you to the HSE for therapy,but not sure that it's standard. But then you may have to have a medical card.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

missvirgo wrote: »

Sorry I should have said, I'm not technically a student anymore, just graduated and still feel like one! But I'm saving for my masters and would like to try save the money if I can. Although at this stage I think I do need to talk to someone so would be willing to pay if anyone can recommend someone good? I don't know where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

perriwinkles, look into the tivoli institute, they provide reduce priced therapy and are excellent.
    http://www.tivoliinstitute.com/
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Tom's post is the sort of thing that i'd like to have hanging on my wall. It made my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

DeVore wrote: »
    It wasnt "being out of milk" was it? I feckin' hate that. Bastardin' milk, gets me every time. :)

Talking to 2 people gives you about a 50/50 chance of one of them being having it too.

Ever sit in a film that was sh*t with your mates thinking "jesus this film is sh*t" and then one of you breaks ranks and says "this film sucks, anyone else want to go for a pint" and everyone goes "yeaaaah, jesus this is crap, lets split".

I'm waiting for the day we all suddenly do that about mental health. :)

DeV.

Its funny you should say that because I happened to be at a movie with a friend of mine (who also suffers from depression) the other day . .

It was the new Twilight movie (I know I deserved it, I knew it was going to be sh*t). It was so bad that I started laughing and then he started laughing in several parts of the movie and it most definitely wasnt supposed to be funny. It was the kind of laughing you do when You just cant understand how something can be so goddamn awful. .Like the guy on your football team with two broken left feet who has poor vision and you just cannot understand why he even bothers to play!

Unfortunatley, neither of us were brave enough in these austere times to waste €10 and walk out of the cinema, but we talked about the fact that we wanted to the whole way home. That said, the movie was so sh*t that it passed the point of being so bad it was good. I went to see "the thing" on my own (I enjoy going to cinema on my own, afterall its not really a social thing!) and really enjoyed it because Twilight was so god damn awful . .

The sad thing is that we both know we will goto the final one, even after this one sucking serious donkey nuts. . Now thats depressing . .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

If you're in Dublin, there is Oasis in Ballyfermot. They have a sliding scale so if you talk to them about your financial situation, they will do what they can to accommodate you.

http://www.oasiscounselling.net/

If you're feeling suicidal, there is Pieta House. It's free. http://www.pieta.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I think people tend to really misjudge After Hours sometimes - while there are quite a many pointless thread that does descend into mockery, there are those ones that remain respectful and intelligent debates can happen.

Personally I used to suffer from depression, which would usually come and go, but it would always be somewhat hidden and those closest to me would be surprised if I told them. I got help, received medication and actually did something to make changes. I'm now beginning the process of coming off of those meds and I'm feeling better than ever.

With all this talk of depression lately, I feel like it's the right time to bring back my sig.

You may argue again and again with people on here over points of view but there are genuinely nice people on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Some unis offer free counselling. The very least your uni will do is point you in the right direction. Talk to your programme officer if you can and maybe the welfare officer can sort you out with some funding towards counselling. Best of look Perri and I wish you all the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I slapped jim lahey on the arse tonight and asked him to make mine a double. Wrong approach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The name of the thread is quality..
    Great original post.
    I never would of imagined it be so common.

Advertisement