Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

I have the opposite view, i think depression has become diluted in society and actually encouraged in a mainstream way, an episode of the sopranos had a interesting take on it when anthony jr attempted suicide and was put into a mental health facility and it showed his ''problems'' but then at the end his father sorted him out with a easy well paid job and nice bmw and him and his ''depressed'' gf drove of as happy as can be, i suppose the point i am making is that real depression becomes less significant because of daytripper depression that in my opinion devalues the whole illness and makes it less understandable, i wish the world media would stop using it as a tool of entertainment and get more serious with the real meaning of depression.

I have a friend whose parents both committed suicide and his family have a long history of severe depression and i asked him does he suffer from it also or does he fear it, he said he never gives it a chance, he has to work extremely hard to always stay positive and always see good where for instance i would see bad (i dont suffer from depression in any shape or form) he is the most happiest person you could meet but i often look at him and know there is sadness in his eyes and i know its a constant battle for him buts its enlightening to see him winning, he has just had a baby daughter and the last time i saw him there was less sadness in his eyes, i dont really know what i mean with this ramble but i hope people who suffer this illness have the capicity to know people do and will understand if explained and it can be a beautiful life with endless possibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

thanks DeV, that was an inspiring post.

i read through some of these stories earlier on today and i thought this was an old post.. cant believe it was only posted yesterday but im glad its getting the attention its received.. i will definitely revisit again to read what everyone has had to say.. but right now, i just wanted to add my 2 cents.

ive suffered from depression since i was about 13, im now 30 years old.

throughout those years, ive had both good and bad times, a bit of a rollercoaster you could say.. up until the last few years i hadnt much control on my life whatsoever..in fact most of it feels like a life i never lived. ive been to the darkest places, i know what it feels like to feel nothing.. to sleep for days because there is nothing that you can connect with, no matter how much you want it. ive been hospitalised twice over suicide attempts, and to be honest, i never expected to wake up from the second.. but here i am, for some reason or other.

i would like to say to all those people who suffer that it will all be okay.. but i know that might sound condescending, because there was a time i did not believe that myself, i believed the only way to end my suffering was to die, and i actually thought other people, my family included, would be better off without having to worry about me any longer.. regardless, despite everything ive ever experienced.. trust me, it will all be okay.

for those of you who suffer, it may seem like nothing will ever change.. just remember, that it all takes time.. remember that people care for you more than you could ever imagine right now, even the people here reading this forum who have never met you, would do whatever they could to help you. there are good people and good things in the world, and there are so many more reasons to live, and to be alive.

whatever it is you need to be happy.. you really are the only person who can answer that question, whatever it is you need, wake up tomorrow and inspire yourself, because you can change things, you can change everything.

you need support, dont fool yourself, dont do it alone.. we are human beings and we need to be loved and understood, find someone who you can trust, a counsellor, a charity whatever it might be.. maybe your family and your friends cant help you right now, but someday if you get through this, youll understand that they are only human like you, and someday, youll have the compassion and the empathy to understand why they could not be there, and you will forgive them because youll realise the world doesnt exist entirely the way you imagined it inside your head... and trust me.. thats a beautiful thing.

if you truly believe tomorrow is going to be the same.. then it will be.. start trusting your instincts, and start following your own intuition, one day at a time.. you will find a way out.. that much i can attest to.. because i am living proof :)

Fantastic post Tom.

I vote this gets stickied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

There is an ongoing support thread for people with depression here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055828992

Unregistered posting is available if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

Because this is Laugh @ Depression thought I'd post about the lighter side of anti depressants and their side effects, might strike a cord with some people....

Side Effect 1: Uncontrollable yawning: WTF is this all about, non stop yawning for the first few days of going on you presciption. And not just a normal yawn but a big fúck off jaw aching yawn..

Side Effect 2: Crazy Ass Dreams: The most vividly real dreams you can possible imagine, and waking up in a pool (and I mean a pool) of sweat. Best drug induced dream I had was when I dreamt Jonah Lomu called to the door of the house selling Kingsmill Bread door to door, I went back inside to the house to tell my Dad... "You'll never guess who was at the door.... Only Jonah Lomu".... "Oh was he trying to sell that fúcking Kingsmill bread again"....

Side Effect 3: Strange effects on your erm.... Tackle: When on AD's it kind of numbs everything downstairs, which in my case made it far more difficult to get things into an... operational status shall we say.... However because everything was kind of numb I would last for fúcking ages!!! Every cloud and all that :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭missvirgo

I don't know if people already know this, but there are alot of Gyms/Leisure Centres/Sorts facilities around the country offering reduced rates for people who are unemployed.

It is a positive move towards combating the effects of unemployment on people especially prone to depression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

stephen_k wrote: »
    Because this is Laugh @ Depression thought I'd post about the lighter side of anti depressants and their side effects, might strike a cord with some people....

Side Effect 1: Uncontrollable yawning: WTF is this all about, non stop yawning for the first few days of going on you presciption. And not just a normal yawn but a big fúck off jaw aching yawn..

Side Effect 2: Crazy Ass Dreams: The most vividly real dreams you can possible imagine, and waking up in a pool (and I mean a pool) of sweat. Best drug induced dream I had was when I dreamt Jonah Lomu called to the door of the house selling Kingsmill Bread door to door, I went back inside to the house to tell my Dad... "You'll never guess who was at the door.... Only Jonah Lomu".... "Oh was he trying to sell that fúcking Kingsmill bread again"....

Side Effect 3: Strange effects on your erm.... Tackle: When on AD's it kind of numbs everything downstairs, which in my case made it far more difficult to get things into an... operational status shall we say.... However because everything was kind of numb I would last for fúcking ages!!! Every cloud and all that :D

First AD I was on gave me a very strange ticking noise in my ear, like clockwork, all day and all night. That freaked me right out!! When I went off the pills, I kind of missed the ticking :-)

As for the downstairs part, I could go all night and then some. There are studies being done at the moment with small doses of AD's being prescribed to men with premature you know what. Seems to be working for them too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

One thing I think it is important to say especially to those people reading who have never sought help for their depression.

There can be treatable medical causes for depression, such as hypothyroidism. So given, that, if you've never discussed things with your GP, there might be an easily fixable cause, it is worth going and having a discussion about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

djk1000 wrote: »
    First AD I was on gave me a very strange ticking noise in my ear, like clockwork, all day and all night. That freaked me right out!! When I went off the pills, I kind of missed the ticking :-)

As for the downstairs part, I could go all night and then some. There are studies being done at the moment with small doses of AD's being prescribed to men with premature you know what. Seems to be working for them too!

Wasn't a ticking for me... more a wooshing noise, like a pulse, I could feel it in my ear drums if that makes any sence at all :confused: Lasted about 2-3 days when I started the course... then 2-3 days when I came off them again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I have a job, and that. I live my own right now, and I just get... Worse on my own. I don't have that many mates either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭bubbuz

cloud493 wrote: »
    I have a job, and that. I live my own right now, and I just get... Worse on my own. I don't have that many mates either.

You're not alone, I'm in exactly the same boat, well, apart from I don't have a job. My daughters mum died 2 years ago, I had to give up work to be there for them, it's just the 3 of us, no family and v few friends and the few I do have don't understand depression so I hide it, I've never felt so isolated, alone and scared in my life, im 37 and suffered depression all my life but now is the worst its ever been but yesterday I found this thread and although im alone I know now that im not....... and neither are you....... looks like there are some truly decent and special people out there.....Thank you to you all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I have a wife, a job, a flat & live in a big city. I have family and friends here and back home. But I still suffer from the black dog. I had no intention of going on medication until one time it got so bad but the meds was even worse. I prefer to ride out the highs and lows. The wife is worried now because my mood swings can change by the hour. I'm worried.

I know precisely what has triggered it this time & there's nothing I can do except hold on tight and see it out the other side.

Thanks for this thread - which I didn't expect to see in AH :)

Seems to be a lot of people here with no one to talk to, if anyone wants to go for a pint/coffee and a chat with someone that has been dealing with depression for a while, or if you just want to talk about the weather or the rugby, just PM me.

I've also been reading a bit about meditation as a tool to manage depression, worth a look, it seems to have a decent scientific basis. Probably not useful while you are in a bad place, but once that passes, this could be useful to keep the downward cycle at bay. Linky I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has tried something similar.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I am finding things very difficult at the moment, but I found things impossible for the past few months.
    I have finally found a medication that works for me.
    It kicked in about a week or two ago, and that impossible feeling is gone.
    It gave me the lift I needed to get to the point I am now - which is that if I push myself, yet pace myself, I know I can get on track again.

All the practical, psychological, emotional, behavioural help/self help out there just cannot be achieved when you are extremely low.
    You are told to go for a walk, yet you can't get down the stairs to feed yourself.
    You are told to read, yet you cannot concentrate.
    You are told to talk about your problems, yet you don't know what your problems are because you are just completely numb, you cannot manage to structure a coherent sentence, and you just couldn't be bothered even if you could!

So many people have a fear of meds.
    There is a stigma and controversy around them in themselves.
    Alot of people think they will become reliant on them, or that it means that they are weak if they take them.
    There are beliefs that it's all a money making racket, that the pharma companies are just pushing the meds to make money.
    While there is still no specific understanding of exactly how or why depression occurs, and why or how the meds work, all the research shows that they do work compared to placebos.
    But people will say that the research was biased.

The fact is that meds are handed out too readily sometimes, when they are probably not needed.
    But when you find that you are unable to look after yourself, unable to go to work/school/college, unable to function at all, there is NOTHING wrong with taking the meds.
    They really can work.
    You may have to try a few different ones, and tweak doses for a while before you get it right though.

Meds DO NOT cure depression on their own most of the time.
    They mainly just get you from a place where you see absolutely no light at the end, to a place where there is a teensy weensy glimmer of a light way off in the distance.

Then you can begin taking the advice, support, and help around you, and start to take control of your life again.
    Baby steps though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

cloud493 wrote: »

Maybe you should try an Aware meeting or some other support group. Friendly support goes a long way. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

meditation is definitely a good tool to use, and overall, quite beneficial to mental health whether you are depressed or not. it can help you to distance yourself from distracting thoughts and find some peace. as you pointed out though, you might not even feel like doing it when youre in a bad place.

i have referred to this site in the past and found it very useful and informative, they even have a section relating to meditation and depression. there are also meditation guides there that are clear and easy to follow.. definitely something for people to consider.

one book which helped me alot to identify with the ego was The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle.. its sold under the guise of spirituality, but you really dont have to be spiritual in any sense of the word to read this book so dont let that put you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Another thing I found great was hypnotherapy. It was expensive but worth every penny. I had hit a wall with how far I could bring myself and was just tired of all the hard work I was having to do to bring myself further. With the hypnotherapy, it was almost easy -- the therapist pulled things out and guided me through things without me having to struggle and dig deep without knowing where to start.

It may not be for everyone but I found it amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Millicent wrote: »
    the therapist pulled things out and guided me through things without me having to struggle and dig deep without knowing where to start.

It may not be for everyone but I found it amazing.
    :pac:

Sorry :o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Now we're getting the hang of it. I was wondering when we were going to start laughing at people!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Hahahaha! You're a smut peddler. I like that. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

smash wrote: »
    Now we're getting the hang of it. I was wondering when we were going to start laughing at people!
    Millicent wrote: »
    Hahahaha! You're a smut peddler. I like that. :pac:

I told you you had a good sense of humour. Poking gentle fun and getting laughs on the depression thread. That takes a talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

:o i'm only allowed because I have depression though.no one that doesn't is going to

:o i'm only allowed because I have depression though.no one that doesn't is going to

That's like being allowed to say the N-word because you're black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

lol... me too.. :p

Only I can't think of a witty joke ..

I think though it is good to mention that generally people who have depression are NOT miserable ol sourpusses all the time!

I think that I have a good sense of humour and would hate for someone to pussyfoot around me, afraid they might say the wrong thing, or make a bad joke..

There is a time and place for all humour, the line that shouldn't be crossed is there for all people -whether they are depressed or not..

Everyone needs to laugh at themselves sometimes..

:)

If you didn't laugh you'd cry.....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

djk1000 wrote: »
    I've also been reading a bit about meditation as a tool to manage depression, worth a look, it seems to have a decent scientific basis. Probably not useful while you are in a bad place, but once that passes, this could be useful to keep the downward cycle at bay. Linky I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has tried something similar.

D.

I haven't tried it for depression but I used mindfulness for anger issues and found it very helpful. The book I linked to a few pages back is a good introduction to it if a bit Buddhist.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

AstridBean wrote: »
    DeVore wrote: »
    Depression is not sadness.
    One of the biggest misunderstandings about depression is that its like being really sad. It's not. It's like being *nothing*. Not sad, not happy, nothing.

Firstly, great post.

But I just want to pick up on something here. I have suffered from depression on and off throughout my life. Always have, always will. Depression IS like emptiness but for me at least, it is also a persistent sadness. Sadness and nothingness in a curious mix. A sense of despair. So, it's not necessarily true to say it is nothingness and there are no other feelings involved. I just want people to know that. Some people might just feel emptiness but for others, all-consuming sadness and despair features heavily too, in conjunction with nothingness.
    i suffer depression too and for me it's a feeling of emptiness. i cant cry or laught. i guess everybody suffers it differently.

Thought I'd give this a go,

I always thought that Boards needed a depression forum of its own, a private one where people with clinical depression could get to know each other and learn about their illness. This thread spurred me on to put in a new forum request here please lend your support, add any comments, or of course disagree with the idea if you want!

D.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've started editing in the links to the online resources in the OP. If anyone has any others, please post them here and I'll swing by a few times a day and update it.

I'm fairly used to the size of boards and its power but even I've been pretty much blown away by the response here. I had thought "Hey, I'll go talk to AH, thats always fun" but this grew legs and ran. I'm secretly very chuffed I have to admit. :)
    Thank you to everyone here. I wasnt bad yesterday or last week or anything, but I'm even better now. I was kinda teary yesterday because I watched my site do what I designed it to do after 12 years of careful paternal tending. Thanks. :)

Tom.

• Advertisement

I kinda agree with the post someone made last night was it? Some people use depression for a reason to be standoffish. I mean, I know its hard. Jesus I do. When you have it, you don't really feel like being nice to every that comes into your path, thats fine. When you see people being dicks, and they say 'its not my fault, im depressed lol' as I have seen, that annoys me. I mean, I used to try to be nicer, and participate and stuff, so no one would guess. Just grinds my gears, to see people making light of it.

Advertisement