Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loftus hall

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Milly33 wrote: »
    So has anyone got access recently to Loftus...Think we may take a trip down this month and any tips would be great. and before anyone starts off im not going to damage anything or whatever im just going for a nose
    As mentioned before ages ago. Do not give or request tips on how to break into this building (or any other).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Sorry my bad, lots of apoligies

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

What if such left to rot places are demolished and used for some social welfare activities like developing some free schools, community free professional coarse training workshops etc.

I don't find any good in leaving big strategic places like this having productive potential be left like that. Government should take over such places to use it for public good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

meryem wrote: »
    What if such left to rot places are demolished and used for some social welfare activities like developing some free schools, community free professional coarse training workshops etc.

I don't find any good in leaving big strategic places like this having productive potential be left like that. Government should take over such places to use it for public good.
    How about running courses where the participants restore and maintain such places rather than leave part of our heritage rot and waste away.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

That will be best thing to do with such places. It will be quite perfect way of using the structure to it's optimum utilization.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Unpossible wrote: »
    How about running courses where the participants restore and maintain such places rather than leave part of our heritage rot and waste away.

That is actually done by FAS. Look at the stunning example of Swords Castle. Just because it hasnt been done on a privately owned building you seem to like, in the middle of a sparsely populated rural location dosnt mean the Guverd'ment are not doing their jobs. With hospitals closing down could you imagine if the government invested millions in a scheme to fix up a privately owned house because it looks nicer than some others.

Why dont you go down there and fix it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Riamfada wrote: »
    That is actually done by FAS. Look at the stunning example of Swords Castle. Just because it hasnt been done on a privately owned building you seem to like, in the middle of a sparsely populated rural location dosnt mean the Guverd'ment are not doing their jobs. With hospitals closing down could you imagine if the government invested millions in a scheme to fix up a privately owned house because it looks nicer than some others.

Why dont you go down there and fix it up?
    Its hard to reply without going too much off topic here, I want to avoid the hospital debate as I guess we would have different opinions on what needs to be done in the healthcare section.
    You seem to be of the impression that I'm talking only about saving this house over others and that I want a privately owned house restored using government money. If you read my reply again (and the post I was quoting), you will see that meryem proposed the government take it over and let it rot in order to build something else on it and my point was that if the government, or the OPW, were to take it over then I would rather it be restored. I have seen far better houses fall into ruin when left in the care of the OPW and I think its a terrible shame. Its great that there was such a course in Swords, but with so many builders unemployed and claiming the dole or going on FAS courses anyway would it really cost that much more for them to work on properties held by the OPW? If such houses can generate income once restored then it will surely be an added benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

My family used to go to Fethard-on-Sea every summer when I was a little kid, and I remember being terrified and yet completely in love with the Loftus Hall legend. (The one with the devil playing cards... hadn't heard anything about Ann until reading this thread.Or Sean Fortune for that matter... now THAT makes me shudder).

We drove up to it one day (probably around 1990/1991) not realising anyone still lived there. There were two big alsations around the back, not that we planned on getting out of the car anyway. We saw someone's face in the window between the gap in the curtains which at the time I of course assumed was a ghost, but now feel terrible that if Ms. Deveroux was there, she had to deal with strangers driving up like that!

Would love to see it restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭germanator

myselfand a friend went in there a few weeks ago, there was an oul fella living right across from the main gate into the place who came out saying he was getting the guards and all, so we just said "do you own the place?" he said no so we said grand get the guards and heres my name you can tell them.... we went down took loads of pics, didnt go inside or even try now to be honest as that would be asking for trouble, there are a few cctv cams there but wether they are working or not is another thing, about half an hour later we came back out and still no sign of guards or the oul fella... id say meself he just tries to scare people from going in prob thinking they might do damage or somthing, but all we wanted was a closer look and some pics

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

germanator wrote: »
    myselfand a friend went in there a few weeks ago, there was an oul fella living right across from the main gate into the place who came out saying he was getting the guards and all, so we just said "do you own the place?" he said no so we said grand get the guards and heres my name you can tell them.... we went down took loads of pics, didnt go inside or even try now to be honest as that would be asking for trouble, there are a few cctv cams there but wether they are working or not is another thing, about half an hour later we came back out and still no sign of guards or the oul fella... id say meself he just tries to scare people from going in prob thinking they might do damage or somthing, but all we wanted was a closer look and some pics

Poor fella getting terrorised by tresspassing scrotes? I've been down there, I've been in the same position and I havnt said "go on call the guards" which is just scobie behaviour. Wished he had called them on you.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

germanator wrote: »
    He is doing his best to protect the house and the locality from rubbernecking idiots who dont care if they trespass or walk across planted fields or interfere in a place they are expressly forbidden to go. You may not have meant harm, but how was he to know? Plenty here have tried to discuss how to break into the place, its a constant threat. You are one person, but youre one of a long never ending stream of people who individually arent too bad but in totality are a real nuisance.

Riamfada wrote: »
    Poor fella getting terrorised by tresspassing scrotes? I've been down there, I've been in the same position and I havnt said "go on call the guards" which is just scobie behaviour. Wished he had called them on you.

sure what would you of said then? "oh please no dont call the guards"
    he said he was calling them and to be honsest i couldnt be bothered arguing with people like that so i just agreed with him and said yeah ok call them! and if he had of called them so what? i wasnt doing any harm, and running off when he said he was calling them would of made it look as if i was intending to do harm, and more than likely thats why he didnt call them because i didnt act bothered so he prob knew i wasnt going to do any damage or anything, and plus he said he didnt own the place and never said he had anything to do with it so why would i listen to a complete stranger, i would be a different story if it was his property i was entering!
    By the way i didnt walk through the field, i walked up the pathway and around the hall, took a few pics and the left!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I was under the impression that the house across the road from the gates is the "guard's house" and that the old guy is a sort of caretaker, have heard that is a descendant of some description from the original owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I've looked through the gates when I used to pass by there on my way to Crook Head. Spooky...the stone eagles on the roof...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭sarah.

I see the new owners are doing a little work on the house at the moment! It's good to see that someone is finally putting a little work into it although I don't think they are actually renovating it properly!

yes sarah, it was on the local paper that they are just doing some work to make the place more secure and to fix some leaks!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ckeogh

I went to loftus hall a while ago, maybe 4-5 years ago. Me & a few of the lads kinda went on this haunted places buzz, checking out the likes of this place. Anyway travelled from kildare & arrived really late at night, place was pitch black, the gates were locked but we just hopped the wall to get a closer look (wudnt want t waste a journey) and the second we went in I got a feeling we just shouldn't be there, we've been t leap castle & all before and not one of them places made me feel so uncomfortable, especially not in the driveway. I'm a bit of a sceptic about all this stuff, so feeling uncomfortable wasnt normal. Anyway we had a look around, but the whole place was boarded up bar a couple of windows up the top, which one window had a light on (around the back), which made no sense as the place was boarded up surely there was no power supply? if no one can get in the hows the place getting power. also another eery element has to be the lighthouse scanning across the huge place... but the thing that freaked me out is that we went into an dilapidated shed, and one of the lads decided t really nose around, he found a newspaper & it looked like it came straight out of the shops, it was immaculate, the weirdest thing was the news paper was dated the exact day he was born. We didnt see anything, but theres a few creepy things on this place. Ghost storys or not, there is something about the place that gives me the creeps, still would love to go again though....

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Jessica xxx

Lets do it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Lets do it! :)

make the place more secure and fix some leaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Jessica xxx

maccored wrote: »
    make the place more secure and fix some leaks?

No, i mean, would be good to go there again!

• Advertisement

https://www.facebook.com/loftushallberlin?sk=wall

house/techno club in Berlin, anyone know of a connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

Hi, I'm Ronan and i'v been working very closely with the maker "Rick Whelan" of the documentry "The Legend of Loftus Hall".

Me and Rick are currently remastering and reworking the documentry to DVD and possible limited blu ray.

The DVD/BluRay will be available on ricks website witch is currently under construction and will be posted soon.

The trailer is finished and will be posted after ricks approvial

Cheers
    Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Hi, I'm Ronan and i'v been working very closely with the maker "Rick Whelan" of the documentry "The Legend of Loftus Hall".

Me and Rick are currently remastering and reworking the documentry to DVD and possible limited blu ray.

The DVD/BluRay will be available on ricks website witch is currently under construction and will be posted soon.

Cheers
    Ronan

Sweet, my Da was just asking me would I be able to get it for him. Any rough idea on any release date or how long it will be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭vtec_vixen

"here lies the body of Thomas Broaders,
    Who did good and prayed for all.
    And banished the Devil from Loftus Hall."

Anyone know where exactly this grave is?

Fr Broaders is buried in Horetown, I live about ten mins from Loftus so now a good bit about it. Always was regaled of tales of it as a child.
    Read a good deal about it also.

I went looking for his grave a while back while on a trip with my sister but couldnt find it. I found the graveyard but couldnt find the grave. Perhaps the engraveing is a bit worn or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭vtec_vixen

Milly33 wrote: »
    I went looking for his grave a while back while on a trip with my sister but couldnt find it. I found the graveyard but couldnt find the grave. Perhaps the engraveing is a bit worn or something

Maybe so, I havent seen it personally myself, Im not sure where exactly in the graveyard it is even Just one of the Local Historians was telling me thats where it is. Would like to go for a look myself someday and see if the inscription really says what everyone says it does!!

Saw where anne tottenham was buried thats in the graveyard in Fethard, Cant see the actual grave though, its in a closed crypt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mag_red286

pretty sure the place is haunted!! i live about 20mins from it and it just creeps me out completely!! but i also know a lady who used to go to the dances/discos until it closed (i think in the 70s?? :confused:) and she knows the lady who lived/lives there, michael devaruexs wife. she used to go visit her and shes told me some pretty creepy stories about the place that i would easily beleive and im pretty skeptic. a few of my friends crept down there during the summer and said that the place is really creepy...strange noises, wierd sensations etc. they tried shining a light through one of the windows but it wouldn't go past the glass. no curtins on it or anything!! :eek: id still love to spend a night in it though!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mac.the.hat

Fr Broaders grave is in the graveyard at Horetown Church alright. It's pretty much in the centre of the graveyard and it's the raised grave with the large slab of limestone on top. If you look very closely at the inscription, you can just about make out his name and I'm afraid the legendary inscription about him banishing the devil from Loftus Hall just doesn't exist. It's a lovely graveyard to visit and so peaceful.

Anne Tottenham is buried in the vault of the church in Fethard. If my memory serves me correctly, it's St Mogues Church and as you approach the church from the front gate, the vault is around the side to the right. It is not accessible and was bricked up years ago.

Loftus Hall as it presently stands was completed in 1871 and Redmond Hall stood in pretty much the same location before that. Redmond Hall was knocked down in 1870 and there were a string of recorded and documented hauntings in the Hall. By all accounts, the hauntings were even brought to the the attention of Queen Victoria in December 1860. The last recorded and documented haunting in Redmond Hall was in 1868.

Loftus certainly is an imposing location but that's about it... or is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cycletheroad

Cheers
    Ronan

I have the documentary...........had it transferred from vhs to dvd awhile back. It was recorded from rte years ago...........its very good.

• Advertisement

When is this DVD out..I have been dying to see the documentry for ages but can never get me hands on it

Advertisement