Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Never read Clive Cussler so not sure if its sarcasm but seems to be quite a few of his books on the store.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

mcgovern wrote: »
    Never read Clive Cussler so not sure if its sarcasm but seems to be quite a few of his books on the store.
    No sarcasm at all!

What's there is only a fraction of his catalogue.

There's quite a bit of his work available in ebook from "other" sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

About 200 pages into Lies of Locke Lamora and I have to say its very enjoyable so far. The way its getting back to the past is good. Where he meets the bondmage and it jumps back to young Locke and Chains talking about them was well done.
    Info dumps that seem a little less like info dumps.
    The overall picture of the world is still a bit murky but I guess thats because Locke just isn't too interested in it.

Who is the Grey King? Too young to be Locke's father?

BTW is the next book as good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I love when Locke first meets the Bondsmage. His reaction is brilliant!

Finished Horus Rising, was okay. It did make me want to read more of the series as I used to love the Warhammer universe when I was younger. But I must persist with my schedule. Finish of the final 3 books in the Malazan series and then onto my reread of ASOIAF so that I can finally read the newest one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Who is the Grey King? Too young to be Locke's father?

BTW is the next book as good?

The second book wasn't as well received as the first one, I loved it though. Its set in Tal Verrar which is sort of a medieval Las Vegas and Locke is after a big heist. The bit that annoyed people was when they went off and did a bit of pirating but I didn't have a problem with them having a bit of a detour, the dialogue was every bit as smart as in the first book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

I'm actually re-reading one at the moment:P
    The one i'm re-reading is Empire in Black and Gold

But i'm reading Captains Fury, by Jim Butcher.

Oh my god it's awesome, but I'd read the first one first.

Btw I have actually no idea why i'm in bold:S

Oh yeah, I've added links because I've found the cheapest ones. Not to sound like an advertiser, but that is one hell of a websiteXD

Just finished The Lies of Locke Lamora. Loved it. Just got better and better as it progressed and loved the ending, especially the **** barges!

Don't have the second book and have a pile up of reads so moving on. The Cold Commands by Richard Morgan or The Dragon Path by Daniel Abraham up next.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 FurryFace

The Final years of Marilyn Monroe by Keith Badman......great oul goss.

Finished Equal Rites which was ok, nothing special.
    Went old school next and have started Edwin Abbott Abbott's Flatland, which is interesting but tough reading so far (though its very short, about 90 pages).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Hobite

Couple days ago I have finished David Gaider "Deagon Age" two books (The Stolen Throne and The Calling). It was much better than I expected.

Now reading G. Martin "The Game of Thrones".

Decided with 'The Cold Commands' by Richard Morgan.

About 73 pages in exactly. Have to say I'm liking it straight off the bat. It hasn't taken a while to bed in like some books and its got bloody Corpsemites!

Finished Flatland, can see why it was ahead of its time, but not great these days.
    Started The Fall which is the sequel to The Strain, by Chuck Hogan and Guilermo del Torro.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Decided with 'The Cold Commands' by Richard Morgan.!
    .. This book is not available until October. How did you get a copy?

ixoy wrote: »
    .. This book is not available until October. How did you get a copy?

Magic. Or wait no ill have to claim idiocy instead. 'The Steel Remains' is the book I'm on about. Ordered the other so was getting them mixed up.:o

Now reading G. Martin "The Game of Thrones".

I love that series. The writings a little bit clunky and it's depressing as hell once you get further in the series, but it's awesome:P

Pm me if you want to chat about it:P

Hobite

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Finished reading Atlantis - good cheesy SF/Thriller.

Just started Titanic 2012.

I blame the Kindle store for tempting me with this cheap fare!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Been reading "Reamde" by Neal Stephenson for the last couple of weeks. It's an enjoyable high-tech thriller. It's much more action orientated than some of his previous works. It's not, to me, as compelling as "Anathem" but that's a lot to do with it being fairly sci-fi late, set in contemporary times, etc.
    I'm about 600 pages in though and enjoying it (the man doesn't know the concept of a short book any more).

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Reading 'The Clan Corporate' by Charles Stross. The series (The Merchant Princes) in general is reasonably decent and that's coming from someone who loathes book series with a passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

House of Chains - again!
    Gets better with every repeat, there seem to be more backstories each time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

fenris wrote: »
    House of Chains - again!
    Gets better with every repeat, there seem to be more backstories each time!

And on that note, just starting Reapers gate, finished the bone hunters last night. Like you said it's a series that i'll have to read again, there's so much stuff going on. found the wheel of time 2nd read through make more sense and i enjoyed it more, i've a feeling the malazan 2nd read through will eclipse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Just started Valis by Philip K Dick. Pretty deep stuff so far. Best to have a philosophy dictionary close.

Finished reading 'never let me go' by Ishiguro, worth a read and better than the movie.

i've a feeling the malazan 2nd read through will eclipse it

Oh I read the first one of those last week. Found Gardens of the moon for 3 euro in my local londis:P Lol, I have no idea that londis sold books

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hatgirl

Just finished "Redemption In Indigo" by Karen Lord (brilliant and hilarious) and "Four and Twenty Blackbirds" (Eden Moore #1) by Cherie Priest (interesting. I'll be checking out the others in the series)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

bluefinger wrote: »
    Just started Valis by Philip K Dick. Pretty deep stuff so far. Best to have a philosophy dictionary close.

I'd be genuinely interested to hear what you think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

After finally re-reading the first 3 song of ice of fire books ive finally gotten on to feast for crows, tried to read it years ago but didnt have a clue what was going on due to the gap. Good so far, the reread was excellent. Also reading The wind up girl by Paolo Bacigalupi, really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

I'd be genuinely interested to hear what you think of it.

Wilco.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The Noise Revealed by Ian Whates. My mistake.

Saw a copy of Snuff today in local bookshop. So tempted! Guess I'll just have to wait for Amazon.
    Up side it's being accompanied by The Cold Commands!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Reading 'Among Thieves: A Tale of The Kin' by Douglas Hulick. I wasnt sure about it buying it as a make up in a 3-for-2 but it is a winner. Really interesting and reminds me a lot of 'The lies of Locke Lamorra' in that you enter the world of thieves organisations but Drothe is a sympatethic charachter and the story fairly zips along. Half way through and really really enjoying it:)

Advertisement