Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

The openside thing is being overstated. We had 3 times as long in Wales 22 as they had in ours. Lack of try scoring ability against a tight defence cost us.
    An openside gains you posession and slows down opposition posession. Posession was not our problem yesterday.
    I won't go down the whole OGara/Sexton side of things (separate thread).
    We also have to remember that our centres age cost us at two crucial moments yesterday.
    A young faster Darcy gets a proper hit on Philips.
    A young faster ODriscoll gets to that ball near the try line without being hit and at least secures posession to setup the next phase.
    Two crucial moments - age played a big part.
    People are laying too much of this defeat at Sean OBriens door.
    The posession stats in their 22 show it was not the problem ... but the whole no. 7 thing is something people are fascinated with stating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

The openside thing is being overstated. We had 3 times as long in Wales 22 as they had in ours. Lack of try scoring ability against a tight defence cost us.
    An openside gains you posession and slows down opposition posession. Posession was not our problem yesterday.
    We also have to remember that our centres age cost us at two crucial moments yesterday.
    A young faster ODriscoll gets to that ball near the try line without being hit and at least secures posession to setup the next phase.
    The posession stats in their 22 show it was not the problem ... but the whole no. 7 thing is something people are fascinated with stating.

I don't think anyone is blaming our lack of openside as the problem. Well, I most certainly am not. I'm pretty sure the discussion of the openside is simply a discussion on the openside. Separate to the Welsh game. We lost yesterday because 1. we didn't' take our points, 2. Wales took their opportunities 3. Our defense was weak and 4. their game-plan was spot on, our's wasn't. People are just discussing whether Ireland have someone who's in the mould of a Warburton or a Pocock.

pod6611 wrote: »
    Lack of a true openside flanker in the Pocock mode cost us.
    O'Driscoll is reaching the end as a centre - how about converting him into an openside - he has all the attributes required and would be able to play up to the next WC in this position?

Joking right? I feel a bit ridiculous addressing this question. But anyway....

WC 2015 - BOD 36

There's obviously a thousand other reasons but that one will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

bamboozle wrote: »
    if i was coach i'd jettison all players aged 30 and over with the exception of POC and BOD, however there's the small matter of a 3 test tour of NZ next summer so i'm sure Deccie will ensure the old guard will be there to keep scores respectable.

Looking forward to seeing Gilroy, Spence, Jackson, O'Halloran, Nagle, Luke Mcgrath, conor murray, rhys ruddock, dom ryan, jamie hagan, fionn carr, eoin griffen all play for their provinces this season and build on their potential at a higher level.

I'm not sure that's the problem. I think we're in for a pretty miserable few six nations if we jettison Ross, DOC, Reddan, ROG, & Darcy.

Eddie O'Sullivan said on Setanta this morning that the IRFU brief the coach each year that the 6N is his priority, even ahead of the RWC. Their reason is that the 6N is their cash cow. Underperformance in the 6N leads to reduced income and reduced interest in the sport if the team perform relatively poorly. The IRFU lose money on the RWC. So the strategic decision from the IRFU is that the 6N is the priority ahead of the RWC.

We need to keep the senior guys, but I hope we start to introduce younger players into the squad. Something remarkable about this Ireland squad is so many of our back up players tend to be older than the first team - both reserve props, Cullen, Leamy & Jennings, Reddan, Wallace, and Geordan Murphy are all the same age or older than the first teamers.

If we are continuing to prioritise the 6N but also plan for the future, we can do that by keeping the bulk of the first team and introducing younger squad players. I'd like to see the bench include guys who we will build the team around in future - so the likes of Hagan, Toner, Ruddock, Keatley, Cave and others.

Change will be gradual. The IRFU believe the 6N is more important to Ireland than the RWC so we can't risk underperformance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

ambid wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's the problem. I think we're in for a pretty miserable few six nations if we jettison Ross, DOC, Reddan, ROG, & Darcy.

Eddie O'Sullivan said on Setanta this morning that the IRFU brief the coach each year that the 6N is his priority, even ahead of the RWC. Their reason is that the 6N is their cash cow. Underperformance in the 6N leads to reduced income and reduced interest in the sport if the team perform relatively poorly. The IRFU lose money on the RWC. So the strategic decision from the IRFU is that the 6N is the priority ahead of the RWC.

We need to keep the senior guys, but I hope we start to introduce younger players into the squad. Something remarkable about this Ireland squad is so many of our back up players tend to be older than the first team - both reserve props, Cullen, Leamy & Jennings, Reddan, Wallace, and Geordan Murphy are all the same age or older than the first teamers.

If we are continuing to prioritise the 6N but also plan for the future, we can do that by keeping the bulk of the first team and introducing younger squad players. I'd like to see the bench include guys who we will build the team around in future - so the likes of Hagan, Toner, Ruddock, Keatley, Cave and others.

Change will be gradual. The IRFU believe the 6N is more important to Ireland than the RWC so we can't risk underperformance.

Do you really think the team will be built around those players?

Hagan, yes, he's young and he's a prop that can actual;y scrummage.

But Toner? Never shown international class imo...he's only 2 years younger than Donnacha Ryan and I think Ryan is better. Tuohy's better imo and maybe we'd better trying to develop players like Nagle.

Ruddock has plenty of talent but is he ahead of Dominic Ryan at the moment? And remember Ferris, O'Brien and Heaslip are all fairly young too. And Peter O'Mahony looks promising too.

Keatley will be back-up out-half but he's only 2 years younger than Sexton and a long way off him at this stage. Of course he may improve, he's likely to but it's more likely to be a Sexton/Keatley debate rather than the team being built around him.

And I suppose if BOD, Cave could step up...but there's McFadden/O'Malley/Spence/Fitzgerald as possible contenders for those positions too.

I'd like to see all those players getting a chance, but it's hard to rotate properly, giving everyone a chance internationally in big games so it'll be picked on form.

• Advertisement

Would love to have a Pocock Just more a reply to notion it cost us We would have still lost yesterday with Warburton/Pocock anyone at 7 Sean OBrien had one turnover and some reasonable carries But was well tackled There are some posters suggesting we find a seven and huge problem is solved for us Try scoring ability is our elephant in the room We all have several suggestions on how to improve that I'm sure

Fireball07 wrote: »

I'd like to see all those players getting a chance, but it's hard to rotate properly, giving everyone a chance internationally in big games so it'll be picked on form.

Why is it hard to rotate properly? We play what, 8 games in a calendar year? On the insane side of the scale we could play 160ish players, and on the other insane side we could leave it at 22.

Squad building will require us capping more than 25/26 players a year I think though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

GerM wrote: »
    Strauss is a flanker. He was converted to a hooker when they reckoned he was too small to make it as a flanker in SA. He played as a flanker in the IRB Junior WC and has played there in Super Rugby and had a prolonged run there in the Currie Cup. That's why we're seeing him turn over more ball than anyone else in the country at the moment. He's a natural pilferer.

Didn't know that! Thanks.

But I doubt they'd move him there considering how good is at hooker now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Do you really think the team will be built around those players?

Dunno. Just used them as examples.

My main point is I'm not sure we can radically change the first team as the 6N is the priority, but we could gradually start introducing the younger guys onto the bench to plan for the future.

.ak wrote: »
    Didn't know that! Thanks.

But I doubt they'd move him there considering how good is at hooker now?

they don't need to. He still uses his breakdown skills regardless of what number he's wearing. In fact, having him at hooker is invaluable because you can play with two "groundhogs" and still have ball carryers in the back row.

As an aside, Rory Best has developed his ground game massively in the last 18 months. If anyone wants to see a game where Rory was the best flanker on the park, have a look at Ireland v Scotland in this year's 6N.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hagan, yes, he's young and he's a prop that can actual;y scrummage.
    If Hagan could scrum to the same level as Ross he'd be a far better player. He contributes a lot more around the park.
    But Toner? Never shown international class imo...he's only 2 years younger than Donnacha Ryan and I think Ryan is better. Tuohy's better imo and maybe we'd better trying to develop players like Nagle.
    I think Nagle and Foley both have a higher ceiling than Toner, but I do believe Toner is more than capable of becoming an international. If he continues his current form he'll be hard to ignore. Tuohy's development has stalled, he's not up to the standard at the moment and he doesn't seem to be getting any closer. If he continues like last season and guys like Tim Barker and now Lewis Stevenson are in the squad ahead of him then I really don't think he'll be playing for Ireland any time soon.
    Ruddock has plenty of talent but is he ahead of Dominic Ryan at the moment? And remember Ferris, O'Brien and Heaslip are all fairly young too. And Peter O'Mahony looks promising too.
    Ruddock and Ryan play two different positions. I think both will be internationals, although I think Ruddock will spend the majority of his career waiting behind Sean O'Brien or Ferris at while POM and Dippy wrestle for the 7 spot.
    Keatley will be back-up out-half but he's only 2 years younger than Sexton and a long way off him at this stage. Of course he may improve, he's likely to but it's more likely to be a Sexton/Keatley debate rather than the team being built around him.
    I think we can do far better than Keatley. Hopefully someone else can put their hand up. One of the Ulster lads, or else Madigan could develop himself into a more rounded player.
    And I suppose if BOD, Cave could step up...but there's McFadden/O'Malley/Spence/Fitzgerald as possible contenders for those positions too.
    I really hope Spence continues to develop beside Marshall, but they're not there yet.

I think the point of the original post is that instead of carrying guys like Cullen and Paddy Wallace as back ups in the squads we should look at blooding younger guys. I think that's a great idea but I do also think the experienced heads who serve as backups in the squad are generally very important to the atmosphere, so I don't know if that'll happen.

And I think we should ALWAYS be trying to win a Grand Slam. 6 Nations should always be our priority. I'd hate to see us ever throw away our chances by using it to throw out youngsters. I'd certainly like to see Summer Tours and AIs used for that though.

Tuohy's development has stalled, he's not up to the standard at the moment and he doesn't seem to be getting any closer. If he continues like last season and guys like Tim Barker and now Lewis Stevenson are in the squad ahead of him then I really don't think he'll be playing for Ireland any time soon.

eh? Tuohy has once again started the season as an absolute behemoth for Ulster. He's been fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I don't think people are saying we lost this game because we didn't have an openside. The openside debate is just one of a number of selection issues people have with the RWC squad overall. 3 of the 4 teams in the semis have true out and out opensides and all 3 opensides are crucial parts of those teams. So for all the talk over the last while here that the openside position is dead this world cup is proving that not to be the case.

eh? Tuohy has once again started the season as an absolute behemoth for Ulster. He's been fantastic!

I've only seen Ulster once this season, so I missed that.

But last season he ran so hot and cold and was behind Barker for periods. When Muller comes back it will be interesting to see if he properly beats out Barker/Stevenson this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

I'd also like to return to the Heaslip at 7 thing. Heaslip showed in this competition that he would be capable of playing openside. The only tenable difference between 7 and 8 comes at scrum time, when the 7 generally has the most important defensive assignment on the team. Heaslip is certainly quick enough and confident enough in defense to cover any gap he's assigned to there, and confident enough in his ground game to effectively contribute there.

In fact I'd say he'd definitely be more natural in the position than either Ferris or O'Brien. The only problem with the whole concept is positional familiarity and experience at the top level. And not even for Heaslip imo. If Heaslip was to move to 7, then that would mean O'Brien would need to be confident at 8. Seeing as O'Brien has not played 8 at Heineken Cup level I don't think it's something anyone in the Ireland setup would try. The only way for O'Brien to get that experience would be if the switch was made at Leinster meaning Leinster would be dropping Dippy/Jennings. I don't think Leinster want to make that move. I also think Heaslip enjoys playing the position and wouldn't be too happy moving either.

But on paper, I completely disagree with the idea that Heaslip wouldn't make a top class 7. He skills fit the position perfectly.

In this country we seem to have a disorted view of what the openside flanker should be doing in a game mainly due to David Wallace. For years our view was that since Wallace could carry the ball he was automatically our best 7, and any time Jennings got his chance, he didn't carry and people said...Oh Jennings makes no impact. This is where everyone was wrong and foolish, and blind to the true roles of the openside.

In my opinion we had a 7 for years who made the team for his ability to carry, and this was arguably a terrible decision. The role of the 7 in my eyes should be to clear out the ruck in attack, first to the breakdown in defence, link man in attack, and to win turn over ball. WE opted to but a seven in a backrow who wanted to carry, alongside a 6 and 8 who were also ball carrying forwards. Now we're looking to go down the same route with SOB as was done with Wallace. Our best 7 ever, and our only true out and out 7 has been Shane Jennings. But because our perception for years has been Wallace carries and this makes him look a far superior player to Jennings. Wrong! Leinster's success in recent times has mainly been due to Shane Jennings. He came on the Heineken Cup in 2011, and cleaned out the ruck every single time which gave us quick ball, and put us on the front foot. The problem with Ireland is Wallace never cleaned out the ruck because he always wanted to carry, the same can be said with SOB when he's at 7. Jennings is a clean out master, but yet again because he didn't do what Wallace done carried the ball he wasn't classed as a better 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

There's a real need to develop the 4th team in Ireland. There are plenty of good players available. Leinster have 3/4 very promising players who could do with playing Pro12 on a consistent basis and this year the H Cup with Connacht. Put the money into Connacht. It's a pity that Pearse stadium wasn't available for the HCup matches. It would have been a real opportunity for the Connacht support to get out.
    Long term Ireland need that 4th team to provide real options and squad depth. Some of the players at Leinster will be wasted this year plus there are a handful of internationals abroad who could be brought home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If Hagan could scrum to the same level as Ross he'd be a far better player. He contributes a lot more around the park.

I never said he can scrummage to the same level as him at the moment but even at this stage he's a better option than Court and Buckley.
    I think Nagle and Foley both have a higher ceiling than Toner, but I do believe Toner is more than capable of becoming an international. If he continues his current form he'll be hard to ignore. Tuohy's development has stalled, he's not up to the standard at the moment and he doesn't seem to be getting any closer. If he continues like last season and guys like Tim Barker and now Lewis Stevenson are in the squad ahead of him then I really don't think he'll be playing for Ireland any time soon.

Well all players need gametime to improve while developing, so I suppose if Toner gets more gametime and continues to improve, he's ahead. I haven't seen that much of either of them, but I've always been more impressed with Tuohy.
    Ruddock and Ryan play two different positions. I think both will be internationals, although I think Ruddock will spend the majority of his career waiting behind Sean O'Brien or Ferris at while POM and Dippy wrestle for the 7 spot.

I realise that but I just meant for the purpose of including them in the squad, only one of them is realistically going to make the bench at this stage barring injuries (and assuming Wallace isn't included again).
    I think we can do far better than Keatley. Hopefully someone else can put their hand up. One of the Ulster lads, or else Madigan could develop himself into a more rounded player.

I think Keatley has potential to be a very good player. He's not close to international standard yet but I think he could. Hopefully he'll learn from ROG. But Jackson/McKinney will be options further down the line or Madigan either. But I think Keatley will grow into a better player at Munster.
    I really hope Spence continues to develop beside Marshall, but they're not there yet.

Still, I think he has the potential to be a lot better than Cave and would nearly prefer him to be included in squads at this stage.
    I think the point of the original post is that instead of carrying guys like Cullen and Paddy Wallace as back ups in the squads we should look at blooding younger guys. I think that's a great idea but I do also think the experienced heads who serve as backups in the squad are generally very important to the atmosphere, so I don't know if that'll happen.

Oh I agree with the idea too, I was just questioning the players mentioned as players the team would be built around in the future. It really depends on who is getting game time at their clubs continually through the season because I can't see many players making the international team if they're not starting for their clubs (obviously Kidney included Leamy but Leamy did have plenty of international experience). But I do think it might be better if players like Leamy, Wallace, Murphy were displaced for younger players of similar talent.
    And I think we should ALWAYS be trying to win a Grand Slam. 6 Nations should always be our priority. I'd hate to see us ever throw away our chances by using it to throw out youngsters. I'd certainly like to see Summer Tours and AIs used for that though.

I think if it's done gently, it could be good. Throwing them all into 6N games at once won't work (or it's very unlikely to) but 1 or 2 to start, maybe with another 2 or 3 on the bench. But experienced heads on the bench can be vital too. But it's the coach's job to get that balance right. But developing players for the future is very important- I'm sure there are lots of players that could have succeeded at international level if given the chance when they were younger, but missed out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I never said he can scrummage to the same level as him at the moment but even at this stage he's a better option than Court and Buckley.

As long as Court remains the only player capable of covering both sides of the scrum to any real level he's going to be a permanent fixture on the bench.

Hagan looks very good though.

Interested in Madigan Playing well at moment it seems What are his biggest strengths/weaknesses? We need an up and coming 10 next year

There's a real need to develop the 4th team in Ireland. There are plenty of good players available. Leinster have 3/4 very promising players who could do with playing Pro12 on a consistent basis and this year the H Cup with Connacht. Put the money into Connacht. It's a pity that Pearse stadium wasn't available for the HCup matches. It would have been a real opportunity for the Connacht support to get out.
    Long term Ireland need that 4th team to provide real options and squad depth. Some of the players at Leinster will be wasted this year plus there are a handful of internationals abroad who could be brought home.

There won't be a WC next year, therefore there will be an excess of players at Munster, Leinster and perhaps Ulster. Some of them will undoubtedly end up in Connacht.

Connacht are well able to produce their own players, evident through McKeon, Griffin, O'Halloran, Conneely, Qualter. So it's not a case of throwing them our left-overs. But there's nothing wrong with sharing the talent. There's Munster lads in Leinster, there's Leinster lads in Munster etc.

Of course those excess players may well go over seas, but their options are limited. It's an unattractive option for the Championship teams to purchase an Irish player, and the premiership sides will only go for guys they view to be talented.

On a side note it would be interesting for fringe players like O'Malley, D.Kearney, Murphy etc to spend a year down south akin to Daragh Fanning.

• Advertisement

Are there any plans to move to 23 replacements at international level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Are there any plans to move to 23 replacements at international level?

That's a lot of replacements, and a big jump from the current 7.

That's a lot of replacements, and a big jump from the current 7.

haha you know what I meant.

Are there any plans to move to 23 man squads at international level?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Podge_irl wrote: »
    As long as Court remains the only player capable of covering both sides of the scrum to any real level he's going to be a permanent fixture on the bench.

Are there any plans to introduce the 23 man squad to international rugby?

EDIT: lol I really must start reading down to the end of a page before replying. :)
    haha you know what I meant.

Are there any plans to move to 23 man squads at international level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Interested in Madigan Playing well at moment it seems What are his biggest strengths/weaknesses? We need an up and coming 10 next year

Excellent with ball in hand, a real running threat and a decent goal kicker, landed a monster against Connacht last night. Needs to work on his game management and territorial kicking but he's a good player. He's visibly improved in the absence of Sexton and Berquist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

This is actually a hugely crucial part. Possession is all well and good but if it's slow possession then most top rugby deals will be able to deal with it. We got plenty of possession but it was so pedestrian and slow. I don't think a younger D'arcy would have made much differene. He took up a horrile position in the ruck which was what cost him, not his lack of speed. While a younger faster BOD would have been a huge differene a younger faster BOD is a once in a generation type of player so it's not like that is going to be an easy to fix solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Hagan was very good 9 months ago as well he was just overlooked

or if we move to XXIII match day squads. Which I think will soon become something that is demanded.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

or if we move to XXIII match day squads. Which I think will soon become something that is demanded.

Hard to see it not coming in soon. With 23 man squads in the club/provincial competitions, players are going to prop both sides less and less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Hagan was very good 9 months ago as well he was just overlooked

As was Carr...

Advertisement