Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The history of Listowel Railway station in a nutshell...where?...on my blog

http://listowelconnection.blogspot.com/2011/10/listowel-railway-station.html

I didn't know that you had a blog.:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Are you allowed to spam a thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Are you allowed to spam a thread?

I apologise if I have offended anyone by continuously advertising my blog on here. I think that what I am doing is not generally regarded as Spam since it does not involve mass mailing.

I am aware now that I have got on certain people's nerves with my persistent alerts to new posts on listowelconnection.

Be warned. I intend to continue to advertise here as I can see from my stats that many people who visit my page do so using the Boards.ie link.

If anyone feels strongly enough that what I am doing is wrong, please feel free to contact the moderator. If he tells me that I am breaking any rule, of course I'll stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

dear cherry tree,continued success on your new blog.It is wonderful to read about the races long ago.Sorry i missed them this year but watched them live on TG4.Where would we be without you and the bold Vincent.Dont worry about people,you cant please everyone.It is a joy when you are thousands of mile away from listowel to read or see anything from our town.Hopefully in the not too distant future we will have some cameras that would show Listowel 24/7.as they have in Ballybunion of the castle green.I think a lot of ex townies like myself would help with some of the cost.Just a thought.

Thank you for the kind words, Listowel8. Your idea for a camera is a good one. Where would you suggest putting it?
    It might be something that North Kerry Reaching Out should consider.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

OK that's it, that is the last link to your blog Cherry Tree, its non profit so I have allowed the links to remain, but its still advertising, so please refrain from posting any more links to it.

Thanks for that clarification.
    I acknowledge the right of the moderator to stop me posting links to my blog. Those of you who were accessing it from these links will have to bookmark the address or follow me on the soon- to -be revealed North Kerry Reaching Out website.

Happy now michael 999999 and ejmaztec?

I acknowledge the right of the moderator to stop me posting links to my blog. Those of you who were accessing it from these links will have to bookmark the address or follow me on the soon- to -be revealed North Kerry Reaching Out website.

I had absolutely nothing to do with what happened here, and complained to no-one (as no doubt the mod will confirm). I know that this site has got a "thing" about links to other sites in posts, because I believe Boards doesn't like generating traffic to other websites.

I never make unfounded assumptions and I don't see why others shouldn't follow that same policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

:D Just in for a quick visit, I see things never change, some people are never happy, unless they are complaining about something, if it was'nt the small difference in the price of petrol, it's about the bridge, now its been critical about a blog, something that is giving some others some joy,all I can say is, have a life!

• Advertisement

boroman wrote: »
    :D Just in for a quick visit, I see things never change, some people are never happy, unless they are complaining about something, if it was'nt the small difference in the price of petrol, it's about the bridge, now its been critical about a blog, something that is giving some others some joy,all I can say is, have a life!

You just don't get it do you? The posters don't make the rules, so you can hardly blame any posters for the end of the blog-links.

Any complaints about the length of time that it took for the bridge-work to be completed are justifiable. The same contractors are still holding up traffic along the Tralee road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Just to clarify, a number of different people reported the numerous blog links, as it is against boards rules that people should advertise, even their own blogs. I have allowed the links that are posted already to remain, as it is non-profit. I simply requested that no more links would be posted. Interested people can still access the blog via the links that are already posted.

I am not going to be specific about who reported what, there is nothing to say that they are even regular posters on this thread. Please don't blow this out of proportion!

Thanks

Since I'm on a yellow card I'll be careful how I phrase this.

The Mod. is the referee and, as such I respect her authority here. I might not love her decision but I'll accept my slap on the wrist.
    I know that it was not the fact that I promoted my blog on here that drew the reprimand. It was the fact that I did it so often and was obviously going to continue doing it. Since several people, including people who are not regular posters here were reporting a misdemeanour, then the referee has to take action.
    Since the spat was taking place in public, she had to intervene in public. I am happy to sit in the sin bin for a while.

Now to ejmaztec. I'm sorry if you thought that I was implying that you had cited me. My petulant " Happy now..." remark was childish and I regret it.
    In my defense I was responding to your "I didn't know you had a blog" post which I interpreted as a tongue in cheek plea to to me to stop going on about it.

Michael 999999, I don't know if you alerted the moderator or not and I don't really care. You obviously regarded what I was doing as irritating like spam so I'm sure you are glad that a stop has been put to my gallop.

To my defenders, Listowel 8 and my friend, Boroman, thank you for your support. I know from feedback that lots of people are enjoying the blog. I honestly think that no one here was objecting to the blog itself, merely to my jumping up and down promoting it.

Since I am on a yellow, I think it's best if I stay quiet on here for the foreseeable. You know where you'll find me!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

So what's up in Listowel these days

I went back to the very first post on the Listowel Thread from 2005. Chain reaction wanted to know what is going on in Listowel. I cannot see any harm if that information comes from a blog or any other source. It is giving information about "what's up in Listowel these days."

Judging by the number of people who look at the Listowel Thread, the Listowel diaspora are interested in the town.

I think that the same information could be posted as long as there are no links to a blog. I don't care about blog links, but the owners of Boards do for some reason. They don't like anyone getting free advertising, and I even noticed on the banlist recently that someone got banned because they signed up representing Muscular Dystrophy Ireland, and obviously tried to publicise something to do with that organisation. I thought that action was OTT but the owners make the rules, and if we don't abide by them, we get kicked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

I enjoyed the blog links and saw no harm whatsoever in them......describing events & history in Listowel.........saved writing the same information again in a post. After all, the thread is about passing on information about Listowel.

I can't see the difference between a person posting a link to a blog about Listowel and posting a link to a website (allowed) , both of which have information about Listowel.

I have seen many localised threads die a quick death due to lack of postings (neighbours forums etc) and a thread is only as good as its posters and regular contributions to the thread. Regular postings with good info. is what makes a good thread.

I think Cherry Tree has made an enormous contribution to the Listowel Thread........continous postings, photos, updates & snippets of information. I, for one, check the site every Friday evening to download the Church Newsletter (unfortunately, to check recent deaths) and I'm not aware of this newsletter being available anywhere else on the net. Well done & thanks!

Perhaps in future you could post something like: 'Information about XXXXX in Listowel now posted in my blog, mentioned in previous posts.'..........& not putting the link to the blog in the post.....is that a permissible way around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

J.R. wrote: »
    I enjoyed the blog links and saw no harm whatsoever in them......describing events & history in Listowel.........saved writing the same information again in a post. After all, the thread is about passing on information about Listowel.

I can't see the difference between a person posting a link to a blog about Listowel and posting a link to a website (allowed) , both of which have information about Listowel.

I have seen many localised threads die a quick death due to lack of postings (neighbours forums etc) and a thread is only as good as its posters and regular contributions to the thread. Regular postings with good info. is what makes a good thread.

I think Cherry Tree has made an enormous contribution to the Listowel Thread........continous postings, photos, updates & snippets of information. I, for one, check the site every Friday evening to download the Church Newsletter (unfortunately, to check recent deaths) and I'm not aware of this newsletter being available anywhere else on the net. Well done & thanks!

Perhaps in future you could post something like: 'Information about XXXXX in Listowel now posted in my blog, mentioned in previous posts.'..........& not putting the link to the blog in the post.....is that a permissible way around it?

I totally agree with your viewpoint.
    Cherry Tree has hept this thread going for a long time and should be credited with its continunity.

Glad to see everyone is hunkey Dorey again after the dust up, I wish mention of the road and bridge contractors could also be put on the Banned List, I am off now, over to the other "you know what"

Thank you JR

Glad to see everyone is hunkey Dorey again after the dust up, I wish mention of the road and bridge contractors could also be put on the Banned List, I am off now, over to the other "you know what"

Pretend that everything in the garden's roses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

cherry tree,hope the camera or cameras come to pass.Love to turn to BallyB.and see the castle green every day.It would be great to have one by Mckennas corner and if possible one maybe by Robert Maloneys.Let us know when the new north kerry group comes on line.thanks for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

listowel8 wrote: »
    cherry tree,hope the camera or cameras come to pass.Love to turn to BallyB.and see the castle green every day.It would be great to have one by Mckennas corner and if possible one maybe by Robert Maloneys.Let us know when the new north kerry group comes on line.thanks for everything.

I'd say a camera outside Jumbo's would be more entertaining.

Church newsletter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I did not report your spaming, as im sure the Mod that banned you from doing it will clarify!

I dont make the rules, if you cant stick to them then you cant really blame anyone else.

Just to let people know that would be interested, Independent Presidential Candidate, Sean Gallagher, will be holding a meet the people rally this evening, Monday10th October at 7PM in the Listowel Arms Hotel. All are welcome.

Just to let people know that would be interested, Independent Presidential Candidate, Sean Gallagher, will be holding a meet the people rally this evening, Monday10th October at 7PM in the Listowel Arms Hotel. All are welcome.

I hope Dana's not paying a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ifitburwilll

you should join that new crowd North Kerry Reaching Out. This work is brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ifitburwilll

I did not report your spaming, as im sure the Mod that banned you from doing it will clarify!

I dont make the rules, if you cant stick to them then you cant really blame anyone else.

After seeing this I read the blog in question. It is fantastic and great to see something positive coming from the town. It seems this country is made up of two types of people,those who do and those who cannot be bothered so they just criticize.

After seeing this I read the blog in question. It is fantastic and great to see something positive coming from the town. It seems this country is made up of two types of people,those who do and those who cannot be bothered so they just criticize.

The irony.

• Advertisement

Question time,
    To keep the readers on their toes, and their minds sharp, I have decided to set a few questions with a Listowel flavour.

(1) What family occupied the Central Hotel before the Galvin’s?
    (2) Where could you see “a local Squire being entertained in Listowel ©1842 “?
    (3) There were two hotels in Listowel, known as Commercial, where were they?
    (not the Listowel Arms)
    (4) There was also a commercial club, where? Who was the secretary?
    (5) James Butler was a watch and clock repairer, where did he live?
    (5) Where did the Young Ireland Society have their meetings?
    (6) Where was Listowel’s last Private Hotel?
    (7) Two of Listowel Pharmacies and part of another one originally had something in
    common, nothing to do with dispensing medicine, what were they?
    (8) Listowel residents, John McCrystall, George Rice and Gabriel Thorpe had
    something in common, what?
    (9) Listowel’s Royal Hotel was owned by whom?
    (10) If I was to meet you for a drink in Listowel’s, Hotel Brendan, who’s home would
    we have been in?

Answers to emmetsabu@gmail.com by twelve midnight on Friday 21ST October.

Advertisement