Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

In fairness to Jason he has been involved with hurling before. Plus he's a great manager & trainer in general. Leave the dedicated hurling drills & training to a coach(like McGarry) and he can look after the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

deisedude wrote: »
    The other leading contender Michael Ryan has more football pedigree than hurling too. Sean Boylan was a hurling man but he lead Meath to All Irelands in football so its not unheard of for someone to be succesful in the other code

Michael Ryan was a selector under justin,he cut his teeth in club hurling and was very un-lucky not to get an all-ireland club with DLS but Jason Ryan has not done any of these so i cant see how he can be benefit to us as a manager.. I wouldnt rule him out as part of a backroom set up but would he really want to leave Wexford to be a selector for Waterford i dont think he would. i just feel he's not done anything in term's of hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

deisedude wrote: »
    The other leading contender Michael Ryan has more football pedigree than hurling too. Sean Boylan was a hurling man but he lead Meath to All Irelands in football so its not unheard of for someone to be succesful in the other code

I was under that impression too, but at a recent FMW game I was in a conversation with someone who informed me that Michael Ryan has a serious hurling pedigree. His list of achievements include 1 County Senior Hurling Title with De La Salle, 1 Munster Club Title with De La Salle ( Jason Ryans Club ), 1 South Tipp Senior Hurling Title with Mullinahone, 1 Railway Cup Hurling Title with Munster (2007) and 2 County Intermediate Titles with FMW one as player manager. He was also selector with Waterford in 2007 when they won the League and Munster Title. I am open to question on the above, but that is some record, if correct.
    When you add Nicky Cashin as a Selector ( I am reliably informed that he is part of M Ryans backroom team ) and his achievements as manager which going on memory and google includes 6 Leinster Colleges Titles with St Kierans, 4 All Ireland Colleges Titles with same, 2 Leinster Minor Titles with Kilkenny, 1 All Ireland Minor Title with Kilkenny ( Michael Rice was Captain) 1 Laois Senior Hurling Title with Castletown, 1 Kilkenny Intermediate Hurling Title with Clara and 1 Waterford Intermediate Hurling Title with Abbeyside. He was also Selector for Waterford when they won Munster in 2004 and 2007 and the League in 2007.
    Between the two of them that is some record of success and if they could add a top class Physical Trainer ( Important) and a good coach, I believe that they are by far the best of the contenders for the job. But of course you never know with our County Board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

No disrespect to Jason Ryan i know him well, he's a top guy but seriously like what does he know about managing a County hurling team. If he got a hurling club job i'd still raise my eyebrow an i mean that in the nicest possible way, Am i been left behind in these new methods of the GAA but how can a football manager be in contention for a hurling job.. Is it only me or does anyone think the same..

Im with you aswell. Im not convinced at all about this. Yes you'd need a top class hurling coach in with him but why not just go for a man who can do both?

The main thing in Ryans favour is that hes a waterford man, as far as I can see. Hes proven himself as an astute football man but this is no place for gambles and experiments. Were talking about our county senior hurling team, supposedly on of the top 4 teams in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Ryan never managed a football team in DLS even before taking the Wexford job - took Clongeen for a few months, now he is looking like taking the Waterford job without managing a hurling team in DLS even. I have a feeling he'll do fine.

Also, James McGarry is no fool - he's doing pretty well with Shamrocks obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Et Cetera

Im with you aswell. Im not convinced at all about this. Yes you'd need a top class hurling coach in with him but why not just go for a man who can do both?

The main thing in Ryans favour is that hes a waterford man, as far as I can see. Hes proven himself as an astute football man but this is no place for gambles and experiments. Were talking about our county senior hurling team, supposedly on of the top 4 teams in the country
    I suppose he is also an excellent man manager and generally well respected by all media outlets, something which we could do with. But without a serious hurling coach with him, is it too much a gamble? It's hard to see it happening without a really good hurling back room. It's a curious proposition really.

Then again Michael Ryan would need a hurling coach too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

He's based in Limerick. Assuming that new challenges meant a different GAA team, that would be the more obvious one, given the money behind Limerick too.

There is no guarantee that 'new challenges' would mean this of course. Plenty of sports where his expertise would be useful. Be great if he joined Waterford as trainer, but it is unlikely.

Apparently Cian wants to get involved with an intercounty Football set-up, he didnt really have a hurling background before Tipp and football would be closer to he's heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Apparently Cian wants to get involved with an intercounty Football set-up, he didnt really have a hurling background before Tipp and football would be closer to he's heart.

Is he already involved with Kildare? Heard that today

• Registered Users Posts: 37,794 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Clinton Hennessy has retired from Intercounty hurling according to WLR.
    Waterford goalkeeper Clinton Hennessy has retired from inter-county hurling.

Waterford goalkeeper Clinton Hennessy has retired from inter-county hurling.The Ardmore clubman will continue with his club but work and family commitments mean he will not figure for Waterford next year. He told the Irish Examiner that the time is right to go.He said that he had a lot of commitments and the fact that the new manager will come in soon is another factor. He said he had his mind made up but he didn’t want people to think he was calling it a day because of the new manager.

One of the best goalkeeper we ever had, solid all around, cool, calm and collected. We will be missed between the posts for us.

Its time for Adrian Power to step up now.

If Clinton Hennessey had come home from Boston a few years sooner, Waterford would probably have won an All Ireland. Good luck to him.

Power won't be automatically stepping in - I reckon SOK will be pushing very hard also. At least we have some competition now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Clinton was a great servant and will be sorely missed. He seems to have been underrated by a lot of people due to the more spectacular talents of O' Keefe and Power, but for my money he's still the best in teh county. He's one of those players we'll realise was so good when he's gone. Good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

hardybuck wrote: »
    If Clinton Hennessey had come home from Boston a few years sooner, Waterford would probably have won an All Ireland. Good luck to him.

Ah now.

Best of luck though to Clinton - he was as reliable a keeper as you will find and was exactly what we needed there when he came back. Was able to operate a sweeper role quite a bit as well - not something many keepers are able for.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Any word when the county board will make their decision on this .?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

All the best to Clinton in his retirement, if he has decided to hang up his boots. Seems a tad premature, but only Clinton knows whats best, and with Power and O'Keefe waiting in the wings for several years now, perhaps the timing is good for both him and Waterford.

He has been a great servant for Waterford over the years, and having come in at a very difficult time for Waterford, do not think it is unfair to say he was worth several points to us a game. A very consistent and solid keeper, he will be a valuable asset to Ardmore, having more time to devote to his club now.

Sad in a way to hear about Clinton. At 34, and with the potential both O'Keefe and Power posess I do believe he's made the right decision, but he was an excellent keeper in my view, worthy of an all star in 2007, and was very unlucky that some poor defending often led to undue criticism of him (the munster Final this year, the all ireland semi v Limerick). Glad to see the tributes being paid to him and the well wishes and that nobody's having a cut. Thanks Clinton and good luck with the future! :)

blue note wrote: »
    Ah now.

Best of luck though to Clinton - he was as reliable a keeper as you will find and was exactly what we needed there when he came back. Was able to operate a sweeper role quite a bit as well - not something many keepers are able for.

Yes. Specifically 2004. Waterford were Munster Champions beating Cork in another classic by a point. We play a rookie keeper in the semi v Kilkenny who lets in a couple of soft goals. Cork win the final.

Left that behind us, Hennessy almost certainly would not have conceded the goals which went in against Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

hardybuck wrote: »
    Yes. Specifically 2004. Waterford were Munster Champions beating Cork in another classic by a point. We play a rookie keeper in the semi v Kilkenny who lets in a couple of soft goals. Cork win the final.

Left that behind us, Hennessy almost certainly would not have conceded the goals which went in against Kilkenny.
    the year is getting better first davy and now C,Hennessey our chances are improving all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

the year is getting better first davy and now C,Hennessey our chances are improving all the time

Cheap shot. Although credit due to the fact you posted in a language that resembles english. for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Best of luck to Eoin and Clinton and thanks for all the years of service to the county. Ye'll be missed lads.

Best of luck too to Davy, I get the feeling that his time with Waterford will serve him well for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭deisedude

Another of the old guard gone, surely only a matter of time that Tony goes too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Best of luck to Eoin and Clinton thanks for all the great days we had and the bad ones well they weren't that bad. Nial Warren you were one tough corner back on a great Ballygunner team but sadly you could not beat the toughest battle of your life RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Real classy stuff here, but no surprise given the source tbh. No matter how good or bad a player is in your questionable opinion, the sacrifices they make to get to the level Clinton did is desrerving of at least a little respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

We've lost a lot of experience in the last week or so. This is the list of Championship appearances made by players who were available to Waterford in 2011 (E&OE; the numbers after the names of some players reflect that multiple people with those names have played for Waterford):

Championship-appearances-2011-squad.jpg

Best of luck to both lads in their future endeavours

deiseach wrote: »
    We've lost a lot of experience in the last week or so. This is the list of Championship appearances made by players who were available to Waterford in 2011 (E&OE; the numbers after the names of some players reflect that multiple people with those names have played for Waterford):

Championship-appearances-2011-squad.jpg

Best of luck to both lads in their future endeavours

Say Tony Browne and Seamus Prendergast will be the next ones. Would not be suprised if Eoin Kelly called it a day.

On the manager front id say it will Michael Ryan now with John Allen and Jason Ryan rulling themselves out. but if Nicky Cashin is in his backroom staff than would not be going back to the Justin Mccarthy Sanario again.??. Hopefully a players strike will not happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Say Tony Browne and Seamus Prendergast will be the next ones. Would not be suprised if Eoin Kelly called it a day.

On the manager front id say it will Michael Ryan now with John Allen and Jason Ryan rulling themselves out. but if Nicky Cashin is in his backroom staff than would not be going back to the Justin Mccarthy Sanario again.??. Hopefully a players strike will not happen

When did Johm Allen and Jason Ryan rule themselves out? I haven't read anything stating same?

tonc76 wrote: »
    When did Johm Allen and Jason Ryan rule themselves out? I haven't read anything stating same?

Jason Ryan is Staying with the Wexford Footballers. http://www.hoganstand.com/Waterford/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=155680

John Allen was never contacted

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Thats not exactly Jason Ryan ruling himself out now is it, and how do you know John Allen wasn't contacted?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

PTH2009 wrote: »

Bit depressing considering who is going to retire, but I suppose we may have seen the last of Tony. I think Seamus still has something to offer, and hope he will consider remaining on the panel for next year, likewise with Eoin, but as you say would not be surprised to see him call it a day.

I guess we've been lucky in years gone past, with not too much loss in experience through retirements each year, but losing Eoin and Clinton was a little unexpected, despite the service and sacrifices they've given to the jersey over the years.

New manager could be critical, I feel to stem the tide of retirements, as it could be the difference in getting an extra year or two out of some of the stalwarts of the squad, as 5/ 6 retirements could definitely cement our status as a team in transition. For now though, if we could retain the likes of experienced veterans like Seamus & Eoin Kelly, the influence and experience on upcoming players could be crucial, as I feel we will have to blood a few players yet, and better to bring them through an established structure, than throw them in the deep end.

Re: manager, I wouldn't be too concerned about people distancing themselves from the job, given the farcical selection process last year. Allen has made it known he is available, and Jason Ryan would be receptive to an approach I imagine, as well as other canditates who have elected not to stick their head above the parapet.

I've liked the Tipp approach of seperate managers and coaches, and personally would not mind seeing Jason Ryan as manager, providing he is accompanied by a top notch coach. I'm sick of expecting everything from one man, and ultimately finding out they are deficient in a key area or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

This Jason Ryan thing is gas. The media have had him both appointed to the Waterford job and reappointed to the Wexford job in the space of 48 hours without a single verifiable source about either. Not only is it no surprise that newspapers are circling the drain - they deserve it

• Advertisement

Bit depressing considering who is going to retire, but I suppose we may have seen the last of Tony. I think Seamus still has something to offer, and hope he will consider remaining on the panel for next year, likewise with Eoin, but as you say would not be surprised to see him call it a day.

I guess we've been lucky in years gone past, with not too much loss in experience through retirements each year, but losing Eoin and Clinton was a little unexpected, despite the service and sacrifices they've given to the jersey over the years.

New manager could be critical, I feel to stem the tide of retirements, as it could be the difference in getting an extra year or two out of some of the stalwarts of the squad, as 5/ 6 retirements could definitely cement our status as a team in transition. For now though, if we could retain the likes of experienced veterans like Seamus & Eoin Kelly, the influence and experience on upcoming players could be crucial, as I feel we will have to blood a few players yet, and better to bring them through an established structure, than throw them in the deep end.

Re: manager, I wouldn't be too concerned about people distancing themselves from the job, given the farcical selection process last year. Allen has made it known he is available, and Jason Ryan would be receptive to an approach I imagine, as well as other canditates who have elected not to stick their head above the parapet.

I've liked the Tipp approach of seperate managers and coaches, and personally would not mind seeing Jason Ryan as manager, providing he is accompanied by a top notch coach. I'm sick of expecting everything from one man, and ultimately finding out they are deficient in a key area or two.

I'd imagine more than that, he's vying for the spot. I mean rumours about James McGarry being a coach in his proposed backroom team were hardly drawn out of the sky, he must be very interested and letting it be known, with the leakage to the media, as to be honest I don't think the Sunday Independents claims were anything more than a story Ryan wanted put out there to get people talking about him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement