Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs USA Eagles, Sun 11 Sep 7am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ireland by less than 20
    Think someone said Friday noon (more or less) local time, so that would mean thursday midnight Irish time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ireland by less than 20
    That's kinda late for an international team selection. They're normally about 4 days beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Think someone said Friday noon (more or less) local time, so that would mean thursday midnight Irish time.

Saw on RTE that Deans is releasing Oz 22, for their game on Sunday, tomorrow. Usually international teams are released Tuesday before (6N's etc), aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

Ireland by 20-40

I read this reply, looked at my watch and thought, sure I'll stay up for another bit to get the team announcement...Then realised it's still Monday:o

Why is it not the weekend already!

Ireland by less than 20
    I read this reply, looked at my watch and thought, sure I'll stay up for another bit to get the team announcement...Then realised it's still Monday:o

Why is it not the weekend already!

Pre World Cup withdrawal symptoms! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Stev_o wrote: »
    In all serious this is the single worst side in the tournament bar none. They play like robots and really struggle to to cope with unexpected things. The one thing they'v got going for them is 9/11 which no doubt will provide them with extra motivation but we should easily put a 20 point margin on them if the weather stays good.

I'm amazed they are not better , the standard I played was ok , they were big and physical , cant understand why they cant compete with the top teams - they have so many players , many fast and big - and Eddie O'S is a good organiser - surprised they are so bad

Ireland by less than 20
    Anyone think Ryan will make the bench ahead of Cullen? Just a thought...

*Maybe not for this game but perhaps vs Australia.

Ireland by less than 20

tumblr_lbixbxQdpK1qe0eclo1_500.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ireland by less than 20

I don't trust Ryan or DOC to organise a line out see the LI game for an example of the disaster when Ryan and DOC play together.

Ireland by less than 20
    tumblr_lbixbxQdpK1qe0eclo1_500.gif

Message understood, loud and clear sir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Read on IrishTimes today, team to be confirmed on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

CouchSmart wrote: »
    When's the team announcement?
    Will be in time for Friday morning. For saturday games, it will be out for thursday mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Ireland by less than 20
    JustinDee wrote: »
    Will be in time for Friday morning. For saturday games, it will be out for thursday mornings.

Will it be streamed on Irish Rugby site by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

See London Independent is reporting that SOB could be a doubt for all the pool games.

Which wouldn't be good....

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/international/bad-for-wales-if-bakkies-is-back-as-irish-suffer-more-injury-woe-2350205.html

"Ireland also have their injury concerns, not least over the high-calibre flanker Sean O'Brien – a crucial back-row figure, given the absence of the Lions Test forward David Wallace and the questionable form and fitness of Stephen Ferris. O'Brien has been struggling with a knee problem, and there were rumours circulating yesterday that he might struggle to play in any of the four pool games."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

See London Independent is reporting that SOB could be a doubt for all the pool games.

Which wouldn't be good....

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/international/bad-for-wales-if-bakkies-is-back-as-irish-suffer-more-injury-woe-2350205.html

"Ireland also have their injury concerns, not least over the high-calibre flanker Sean O'Brien – a crucial back-row figure, given the absence of the Lions Test forward David Wallace and the questionable form and fitness of Stephen Ferris. O'Brien has been struggling with a knee problem, and there were rumours circulating yesterday that he might struggle to play in any of the four pool games."

Jesus that better not be the case....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I'm going to wait until this is printed in an irish newspaper, as I'm sure our journalists would have a bit more of an inside scoop.

clutching at straws :(

Also Panda Moanian, I'm not liking your post because it would feel dirty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ireland by less than 20

Though I heard someone say O'Brien and BOD were both back in full training?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

Gerry Thornley's latest IT update is now online and he's reporting O'Brien took part in full training yesterday (albeit not full-on contact). So hopefully a false alarm from the London Indo.

Ireland by less than 20
    Thornley is reporting O'Brien played full role in training but that Darcy is at 30% and Healy is less than that on chances of making Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

shuffol wrote: »
    If Ireand beat Australa it'll be one of the greatest victories in Irish rugby history, surely thats reason enough to have a proper cut at them.
    Based on last weeks performance v the all blacks, Australia will savage us....period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭simonmln

USA
    Bearcat wrote: »
    Based on last weeks performance v the all blacks, Australia will savage us....period.

You can't just say period. There are other games to be played before that, and its still 80 minutes 15 against 15. What Australia did 3 weeks prior wont come into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

I genuinely hope your right Simon. Our most pressing call now is the USA, we need to be counted here with a decisive victory not just didder and scrape past them irrespective of the passion/emotion their team will have re9/11 and it's dreadful memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I don't see why 9/11 will have any noticeable bearing on the outcome. It has nothing to do with rugby and our team will be entirely unaffected by it. We're not from an Arab state and this isn't a grudge match. USA have already said their focus is on the Russian match which will be a grudge match given the two sides have met recently in a closely contested game. They'll be resting a couple of players for that encounter 4 days later. We'll win and do so comfortably. If we don't, the alarm bells should ring loudly because the USA are possibly the weakest side in the tournament alongside Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Ireland by less than 20
    I am going to start back praying again for SOB. i know he was a doubt for this weekend but need him against the Aussies.

So what are people doing for the game?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Bearcat wrote: »

I'm not so sure. There were periods in that game when the All Blacks made them look very ordinary. Remember the teams went in at 20 - 3 and withing 15 or so mins it was 20 - 20. During this time NZ didn't do anything flash, they just kept it tight and used pick and go tactic. We have a template on how to beat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'm not so sure. There were periods in that game when the All Blacks made them look very ordinary. Remember the teams went in at 20 - 3 and withing 15 or so mins it was 20 - 20. During this time NZ didn't do anything flash, they just kept it tight and used pick and go tactic. We have a template on how to beat them.

I agree with the assessment of that game, CFH. NZ made them look very ordinary for that 20 minute spell. Also, I've never seen such an error strewn performance from NZ in the past several years. The first half was a complete mess of missed tackles and terrible decisions with the likes of Carter being central. He'll never play as poorly again as he did in that 40 minutes. It took a piece of individual brilliance from Genia for Australia to win that game. Our scramble defence is very good and hopefully we'll be able to avoid conceding a try like that although I wouldn't count on it.

With all that said, it's down to the players and the coaches to put that plan into action and that's where I lose faith. We've already seen the lack of tactical astuteness from this coaching team in the 6N. Also, the players have looked underpowered to an extent in the warm up matches. Hopefully they're peaking now but against England and, to a lesser extent, France, we were coming off second best in the collision zone. The likes of Moore, Pocock and Horwill will be no less physical than the English. The pick and go game that NZ employed requires superb discipline and control and it's something I think we've been lacking in large parts over the past year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

chris85 wrote: »
    I am going to start back praying again for SOB. i know he was a doubt for this weekend but need him against the Aussies.

So what are people doing for the game?

Hiding behind the couch, waiting for it to be over.

Ireland by less than 20
    Well either stay at home and watch here or head down to country pub where local club are gonna watch matches , good chance of getting a beer although having to ask the wife to collect me from the pub when she wakes up mite be an issue. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

USA
    JustinDee wrote: »

Just to clarify re: team announcements.

Team announcements are (all at 13.15 local time):
    Friday 9th, Wednesday 14th, Friday 23rd, and Friday 30th.

Time difference up to September 24th +11hrs

Time difference after September 24th +12hrs

EDIT: my predictions v USA are that Murray will start and Sexton will play 12...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Salty Dog Shrimp

Ireland need to beat these by a lot for their own confidence going forward. A tight nervy game and there's problems later on in the tournament.

South Africa beat Tonga 30-25, Fiji 37-20 and England 15-6 in the final. Better opposition than the USA sure but we don't need to be blowing teams away to be in with a chance or to build confidence. I'll happily take somewhere around a 15 point win over the USA and no injuries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement