Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Lets be honest here bbability,RTE have paid for him to go to las vegas to film a bit of stuff for a prize for the audience,are you going to tell me that that's not a waste of taxpayers money.
    Plus the fact that you can easily pull them kind of clips for FREE on the net.

COME ON....ANY THING IS POSSIBLE FOR GOLDEN BOY
    that includes a home studio
    But you are just assuming that RTE are paying for his every move. That trip to vegas may have been paid by a sponsor unless you have evidence to suggest otherwise.

Nothings going to change. He's here for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

bbability wrote: »
    But you are just assuming that RTE are paying for his every move. That trip to vegas may have been paid by a sponsor unless you have evidence to suggest otherwise.

Nothings going to change. He's here for the foreseeable.

RTE did pay for that he said it himself on radio i think your clutching on straws here to defend this waste of taxpayers money its simply not right just for a prize also you might like to read todays independant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

RTE did pay for that he said it himself on radio i think your clutching on straws here to defend this waste of taxpayers money its simply not right just for a prize also you might like to read todays independant

You are incorrect. The tax payer does not pay a penny to RTE. The licence fee payers do that. I am a taxpayer and not a licence fee payer, for example.

Does it occur to you that you come over as someone who is not entirely balanced on the issue? You come over as someone who seems to take pleasure out of hating Tubridy, and out of taking every opportunity to express that. I'm sure its not true and that you are a more balanced person than that, but that's how you seem to come over here.

easychair wrote: »
    You are incorrect. The tax payer does not pay a penny to RTE. The licence fee payers do that. I am a taxpayer and not a licence fee payer, for example.

Does it occur to you that you come over as someone who is not entirely balanced on the issue? You come over as someone who seems to take pleasure out of hating Tubridy, and out of taking every opportunity to express that. I'm sure its not true and that you are a more balanced person than that, but that's how you seem to come over here.

you still continue to swagger on what side of the fence your on here two days ago you where against, yesterday your for and now your stuck in the middle
    you dont live in Ireland your not a taxpayer, and the money gathered by RTE by people living outside Ireland does not come close to revenue collected by Irish households(taxpayers),so once again i suggest you actually do some homework on the topic.
    and i dont hate tubridy,i dont have to explain myself here,again if you actually read up on the topic you surely will find out yourself the situation is the way it is.

you still continue to swagger on what side of the fence your on here two days ago you where against, yesterday your for and now your stuck in the middle

I'm afraid you are, again, simply wrong. I don't see this as a matter of "sides", and that you appear to see it as a matter of being on one "side" or the "other" simply serves to appear to confirm your bias.
    you dont live in Ireland your not a taxpayer, and the money gathered by RTE by people living outside Ireland does not come close to revenue collected by Irish households(taxpayers),so once again i suggest you actually do some homework on the topic.

Again, you are simply wrong. I do pay tax in Ireland and that you claim to know where I pay tax illustrates your ability to make up things to suit your argument.

Everyone reading this knows that RTE is funded by a licence fee, and not out of taxation. That you seem to claim here otherwise seems to either show your judgment is flawed, or else that you will try to twist facts to suit your position, and in either case again highlights your apparent bias.

The fact that some people who pay the licence fee may also be taxpayers does not mean that all taxpayers pay the licence fee, nor does it mean all licence fee payers are taxpayers.
    and i dont hate tubridy,i dont have to explain myself here,again if you actually read up on the topic you surely will find out yourself the situation is the way it is.

I'm not sure how one reads up on the topic of whether or not you hate Tubridy. Most of us understand this thread is about opinions and there is no one "situation" which is right or wrong, but many "situations" all of which are valid opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0714/1224300711477.html
    Its losses fell by almost 70 per cent to €4.7 million in 2010 from €16.46 million the previous year.

RTE get €200 million from license payers, and their losses would be subsidized by the taxpayers..
    I doubt very much that its a freebee especially if Noel Kelly is tweeting to let the world know.

Given that RTE are a loss making organisation, it should be known whether or not Tubridy is getting these benefits (i.e. hosting BBC show from Ireland, saving him from having to travel... last year's tour of the country promoting his book... trip to Las Vegas, which didnt really seem to have any purpose) paid for by the taxpayers..

Like you said, it would be strange for Noel Kelly to Tweet about him broadcasting from RTE studios if it was being paid for by RTE.. but a bit of transparency would help..

There's no law saying you have to broadcast from a particular studio for a particular show. Noting stopping him broadcasting from a studio in Dublin and isdn link to BBC. Whats the problem?

RTE get €200 million from license payers, and their losses would be subsidized by the taxpayers..

Would be? I make no comment or prediction about the future, which is what you seem to be doing.

n any case, what may happen in the future its not relevant to the point I was making in clarifying Jimmynokia’s claim that RTE is currently funded by the taxpayer. It’s not.
    Given that RTE are a loss making organisation, it should be known whether or not Tubridy is getting these benefits (i.e. hosting BBC show from Ireland, saving him from having to travel... last year's tour of the country promoting his book... trip to Las Vegas, which didnt really seem to have any purpose) paid for by the taxpayers..

What basis have you for thinking his commercial enterprises might have been paid for by taxpayers?

The BBC & RTE often broadcast from each others studios, and why you think the taxpayers might fund that seems uncertain.

Are you also mixing up taxpayers and licence fee payers?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

i dont hate tubridy.

Oh lol. Give me strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Would be? I make no comment or prediction about the future, which is what you seem to be doing.

I was using that conditional phrase to describe what would happen in any given year, not a specific year... But I'll clarify it for you if you want.. RTE DID make a loss of €16.46 million in 2009 and this is paid for by the taxpayers.. RTE DID make a €4.7 million in 2010 and this is covered by the taxpayers..
    Are you also mixing up taxpayers and licence fee payers?

As I have said already, the €200 million garneded from license payers is insufficient to pay for the running of RTE.. Who do YOU think pay for their losses?

• Advertisement

I'm afraid you are, again, simply wrong. I don't see this as a matter of "sides", and that you appear to see it as a matter of being on one "side" or the "other" simply serves to appear to confirm your bias.

Again, you are simply wrong. I do pay tax in Ireland and that you claim to know where I pay tax illustrates your ability to make up things to suit your argument.

Everyone reading this knows that RTE is funded by a licence fee, and not out of taxation. That you seem to claim here otherwise seems to either show your judgment is flawed, or else that you will try to twist facts to suit your position, and in either case again highlights your apparent bias.

The fact that some people who pay the licence fee may also be taxpayers does not mean that all taxpayers pay the licence fee, nor does it mean all licence fee payers are taxpayers.

I'm not sure how one reads up on the topic of whether or not you hate Tubridy. Most of us understand this thread is about opinions and there is no one "situation" which is right or wrong, but many "situations" all of which are valid opinions.

listen you said you dont live in ireland yet your saying you pay tax???
    i have no time for you anymore you have no stability or structure or any evidence to back up anything you say on any post you make,all you do is nitpick peoples quotes,anything i or others post here have evidence to suit.

Once again this thread is about the tubridy radio shows not me,not you.
    If you want to start something go elsewhere.

I was using that conditional phrase to describe what would happen in any given year, not a specific year... But I'll clarify it for you if you want.. RTE DID make a loss of €16.46 million in 2009 and this is paid for by the taxpayers.. RTE DID make a €4.7 million in 2010 and this is covered by the taxpayers..

As I have said already, the €200 million garneded from license payers is insufficient to pay for the running of RTE.. Who do YOU think pay for their losses?

I simply don’t know how their losses are funded. Or even if they are “funded” and are just carried over into the next years accounts. Simply saying that you think these are paid for by the taxpayer is not evidence, and is speculation. Even if it’s true, which seems doubtful, it’s not relevant to the point that RTE is funded by the licence fee and not by the taxpayer.
    listen you said you dont live in ireland yet your saying you pay tax???

Yes, that’s more or less right. I don’t live in Ireland full time, but do pay tax in Ireland. What relevance that has to this thread seems unclear, and I was correcting your incorrect assertion that I don’t pay tax in Ireland.
    i have no time for you anymore you have no stability or structure or any evidence to back up anything you say on any post you make,all you do is nitpick peoples quotes,anything i or others post here have evidence to suit.

Once again this thread is about the tubridy radio shows not me,not you.
    If you want to start something go elsewhere.

I can understand that you are uncomfortable with the facts as they appear to question your accuracy and your judgment. But facts are facts. You seem to consider facts as nitpicking when they appear to disagree with your claims, and its ironic that you make personal remarks about me, and then say its not about me!

I didn’t start this thread, I am contributing to it, just as you are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

I simply don’t know how their losses are funded. Or even if they are “funded” and are just carried over into the next years accounts. Simply saying that you think these are paid for by the taxpayer is not evidence, and is speculation. Even if it’s true, which seems doubtful, it’s not relevant to the point that RTE is funded by the licence fee and not by the taxpayer.

You're dealing with semantics here, to tax is to impose a financial charge or other levy upon an individual or legal entity by a state or the functional equivalent of a state such that failure to pay is punishable by law. The TV licence fee fits that definition quite well I think.

Rubik. wrote: »
    You're dealing with semantics here, to tax is to impose a financial charge or other levy upon an individual or legal entity by a state or the functional equivalent of a state such that failure to pay is punishable by law. The TV licence fee fits that definition quite well I think.

I can see why someone might think that. However, there is a difference between a tax and a licence.

If you own a tv (I don't) then you have to pay a licence fee.

If you own a car, you also have to pay a fee. In Ireland, thats called car tax, in the UK road fund licence.

A tax is imposed on everyone, irrespective of the services the individual uses.

A licence fee is a fee charged for a specific use, as in the road fund licence, or a tv licence.

A definition of a word is not semantics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Lets be honest here bbability,RTE have paid for him to go to las vegas to film a bit of stuff for a prize for the audience,are you going to tell me that that's not a waste of taxpayers money.
    Plus the fact that you can easily pull them kind of clips for FREE on the net.

COME ON....ANY THING IS POSSIBLE FOR GOLDEN BOY
    that includes a home studio

and I can guarantee you he brought his girlfriend with him, and we all paid for that too:rolleyes:

I can see why someone might think that. However, there is a difference between a tax and a licence.

I DO HAVE A TV

If you own a car, you also have to pay a fee. In Ireland, thats called car tax, in the UK road fund licence.

I HAVE 2 CARS

WE ALL PAY TAX ,FACT OF LIFE

A licence fee is a fee charged for a specific use, as in the road fund licence, or a tv licence.
    LICENCE FEE IS OUT OF MY POCKET SAME THING

WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

once again you say you dont live in ireland and pay tax i think we are all a bit curious as to how

next you say you dont own a tv now thats even more to make people curious

and once again this is about ryan tubridy and the radio NOT ME AND YOU OR ANYBODY ELSE ON THIS THREAD

also read between the lines of your post

For the TV licence fee to be a fee, and not a tax, there has to be an element of quid pro quo. The tv licence fee is not for services rendered but a compulsory poll tax on television owners. Even if you never watched RTE, you still have to pay the TV licence fee. It's a tax.

Rubik. wrote: »
    Even if you never watched RTE, you still have to pay the TV licence fee. It's a tax.

No. I don't.

The TV licence is for those who own a TV. If you don;t own a TV, you don't have to have a licence for a tv.

If you don;t own a car, you don't have to have a licence to own a car.

If you are not a RGN, you don;t have to have a licence to be a Nurse.

And so on.

No. I don't.

The TV licence is for those who own a TV. If you don;t own a TV, you don't have to have a licence for a tv.

And so on.

OMG your really trying to drag out your point and not living up to my expectations at all.like i said before quit while your ahead.

No. I don't.

And so on.

If you read what I posted again you'll see I was refering to TV owners - not everbody - "a compulsory poll tax on television owners".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It's worse than a tax.
    It's a regressive tax.

ok let's get this back on topic. Paying tax or TV license is for another day. Also please respect other users comments. Get it back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

woooooo things got heated here over the weekend!! I hear Cuba Gooding Jnr was in croke park yesterday, phew...at least he salvaged some of his weekend!!
    lol at the beyonce question!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

This morning he was moaning that he had hard weekend and was tired. I can only imagine stuffing your bank account with License fee loot from both sides of the Irish sea must be exhausting alright.
    God luv him.

still going on about the golf balls eh yesterdays news Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

still going on about the golf balls eh yesterdays news Ryan

Im just being nosey here and probably get into trouble with the mods but I will take the risk ;)

Can I ask you why do you listen to him?? :confused:

I got sick of him and turn over the station and now only have to liste to him once a week were my work takes me into an enviorment where he is on.

Justask wrote: »
    Im just being nosey here and probably get into trouble with the mods but I will take the risk ;)

Can I ask you why do you listen to him?? :confused:

I got sick of him and turn over the station and now only have to liste to him once a week were my work takes me into an enviorment where he is on.

Some guys get pleasure from listening to a programme, then coming here to say how dreadful it is, before rushing back to listen some more. Me, I don't listen to Turbidy because I don't like his show. I am as bemused as you as to why some seem to be devoted to his show, at the same time as saying how dreadful it is, apparently at every opportunity. A mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Some guys get pleasure from listening to a programme, then coming here to say how dreadful it is, before rushing back to listen some more. Me, I don't listen to Turbidy because I don't like his show. I am as bemused as you as to why some seem to be devoted to his show, at the same time as saying how dreadful it is, apparently at every opportunity. A mystery.
    Personally i find it hard to avoid it for at least a few minutes a week...you can't just switch off every radio you see...but i do get a laugh out of listening. Here, we call it the partridge factor. Ie tubs has a comedic value similar to fictional radio host Alan Partridge.
    Here lies a problem, some people think it's a little bit Irish for our national licence fee funded broadcaster to pay how much?? half a million quid?? is it?
    to a "talent" that is akin to a fictional comedy character. This little issue some of us have is compounded by the state the country is in at the minute, where most of our jobs depend on our good performance or we're on the dole. Not in RTE, where excuse after excuse is reeled out to why Jerry Ryans flagship show has been destroyed, and why the late late has become irrelevant...

in a few words, we think maybe RTE shouldn't be paying tubs and co so much money.

is that wrong?

its a guilty pleasure for a few mins,which is not a crime....

• Advertisement

its a guilty pleasure for a few mins,which is not a crime....

Of course it's not a crime, and guilty pleasures are great.

I even myself flicked today to RTE1 and found Tubridy and listened for a couple of minutes, and then switched to something else as I found myself cringing when I listened to him.

For me, I don't have to then rush to boards and take pleasure in saying how truly awful the show is, and am not sure I fully understand why others choose to do that, with apparent regularity. I take no pleasure in his show being dreadful, and feel embarrassed for Tubridy that he seems to have found himself in a show which isn't working, and I truly hope he finds a show which suits his style.

I read the threads here which were similar about Gerry Ryan, and some posters seeming to take pleasure about being really vicious about his appearance and about him personally. I detested that, and thought them disgusting to appear to take pleasure about saying horrible things about him personally. For me, the difference between Ryan and Turbidy is that Gerry Ryan was often interesting, and his show at times compelling, with humour, intelligence and the potential for danger.

Tubridy, in contrast, has never appealed to me as his style is superficial, jerky, he often appears patronising, lacking humour and he comes over as flippant and lightweight.

I am sure where I agree with many here is with the opinion that Tubridy's show is poor, and where some perhaps differ is that I take no pleasure in that. I sincerely hope he finds a vehicle which suits his talents, and wish him well personally.

Advertisement