Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked my religion in hospital

Options
  • 29-08-2011 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭

Being checked into the ward this eve was asked religion. No, I said. None she said. No dont bother with that. That's my first time to officially declare my agnosticism. I feel better about myself fo it too.

Hospitals is usually where ppl are won back...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I would rather them fetch a doctor than a priest.

And not just because of my supple young body.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I believe it's so they know who to send if you require last rites or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Galvasean wrote: »
    I believe it's so they know who to send if you require last rites or something like that.

Or to make sure that you're not a Jehovah's witness or something and can't get blood transfusions or anaesthesia.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭janja93

And the whole Jehovah's witness and blood transfusions thing perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I remember being in hospital for a stint last year, family thought that i'd become religious at some point for some reason. The bishop did walk in while I was watching "Dogma" though. I had to pause to tell him to go away. Had tv paused on this image. :D
    381433_main.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Funny, the hospital is probably where I first declared my lack of religion in the eyes of the state too... They were updating records when I had an OPD appointment several years ago, I was asked my religion and I said "none" without thinking. The receptionist was a bit taken aback... "None?!" :p I felt it was a small accomplishment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'm not questioning the hospital's right to ask- I understand the need!
    Just saying it's the first time I officially declared my agnosticism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

I would rather them fetch a doctor than a priest.

And not just because of my supple young body.

the-prayers-of-my-family-are-keeping-me-alive-doc.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

These threads are usually people going "How dare they ask me my religion!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

I was asked the same question a few years back and when I said no religion I'm an Atheist their was complete silence. I was looked on as as if I were a Nazi.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    These threads are usually people going "How dare they ask me my religion!"

I agree. We should burn down the hospital. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

That David Quinn & Gay Marraige thread has me delighted I am rejecting organised bigotry.

Local priest came today and looked for me by name,I was out at the time.... And they say Jehovah's witnesses are determined...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

efb wrote: »
    Being checked into the ward this eve was asked religion. No, I said. None she said. No dont bother with that. That's my first time to officially declare my agnosticism. I feel better about myself fo it too.

Congratulations!

This is a more grown up forum that AH tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Local priest came today and looked for me by name,I was out at the time.... And they say Jehovah's witnesses are determined...
    Wait, what? Did the hospital contact the local priest and tell him they have another atheist or is there a more innocent excuse.

Knasher wrote: »
    Wait, what? Did the hospital contact the local priest and tell him they have another atheist or is there a more innocent excuse.

My mam, I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Did you ask the hospital what religion it was?

dvpower wrote: »

Hospitals are buildings. They don't believe in God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭work.inprocess

janja93 wrote: »
    And the whole Jehovah's witness and blood transfusions thing perhaps?

Or perhaps it gives an indication to diet, such as in certain faiths, with foods that can't be consumed - like meat or dairy products if they were present in some medications. Also, with different religions/cultures, the gender of the person giving care can be very important, so it can be used for this or other specific cultural differences. Usually though it's just for chaplincy services; mass, communion, things like that or like you said with things like blood transfusions for specific faiths.

dvpower wrote: »

I did, but it's stonewalling me...

Or perhaps it gives an indication to diet, such as in certain faiths, with foods that can't be consumed - like meat or dairy products if they were present in some medications. Also, with different religions/cultures, the gender of the person giving care can be very important, so it can be used for this or other specific cultural differences. Usually though it's just for chaplincy services; mass, communion, things like that or like you said with things like blood transfusions for specific faiths.
    Thank Jobs I'm agnostic so! Nothing excluded!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This is a more grown up forum that AH tho.
    We're definitely more After Religion than After Hours.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Corkfeen wrote: »
    The bishop did walk in while I was watching "Dogma" though. I had to pause to tell him to go away.
    Must remember to bring along my Dennett, Dawkins and Hitchens whenever I'm in hospital next :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've been in hospital a fair few times over the last 3-4 years and I've never been visited by a priest. Then again, I was never in for anything more serious than a tonsillectomy, so there'd have been no fear-of-death thing for them to capitalise on.

Shame, really. I had any number of made-up religions to pretend to have in order to call them blasphemers and banish them from the ward. Of course after a tonsillectomy you're lucky if you can whisper three words in a row, so perhaps it all worked out in the end.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sarky wrote: »
    I've been in hospital a fair few times over the last 3-4 years and I've never been visited by a priest.
    That's what you think.

Didn't you ever wake up feeling slightly damp?
    That's holy water that is, after a priest has snuck in and blessed you in your heathen sleep.

Oh thanks very much. I'll never get to sleep tonight. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sarky wrote: »
    Oh thanks very much. I'll never get to sleep tonight. :(

And now you won't be able to sh*t either.evilgrin0046.gif

Heteropoda_ZZ279_F2649.jpg

• Advertisement

Compared to a priest sneaking into my room and "anointing" me as I sleep, a giant spider on my toilet paper is pretty tame tbh...

Advertisement