Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sent an email off to Garmin Support today but I thought I would see if anyone else has had a similar problem.
    If I remember correctly, someone described a similar problem previously, and I believe they may have rectified the situation. But it would take a hell of a trawl through this thread to find it (in fact here it is). So you might send Plodder a pm, and see how he got on with getting his issue fixed. That Garmin response is pretty standard (and very fair). Within warranty - free replacement. Out of warranty - replacement with new/re-conditioned watch.

This thread has become pretty massive, so it'd probably be useful to show people how to search it effectively:

Steps:
    1. Using your browser, go to google.ie
    2. In the search window, type the following: site:boards.ie Garmin Megathread <insert search terms here>
    3. Hopefully browse results, like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Hi, just after buying an edge 500 for the bike.
    Just curious, I think I know the answer but worth a shot. If I got a forerunner could I connect the 500 to the hrm or are the hr straps limited to one device?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Just curious, I think I know the answer but worth a shot. If I got a forerunner could I connect the 500 to the hrm or are the hr straps limited to one device?
    rtfm :)
    Did a quick search and it looks like Krusty above has done it?

Yep, as many garmin ANT+ devices as you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rambunctious1

Hi there folks, I have a Forerunner 305 which works perfectly but I have one question. How do you figure out rest time when doing intervals. When I turn up at training I don't know what the interval sessions will be, so can't pre-program and I don't have time to create an interval workout as I am warming up. Plus, no one else seems to fiddle about with their watches before the workout. I've read the manual but can't figure this out. Can someone please let me know the best way to maybe set this up so I can, for example, run a lap, rest for 60 seconds run another lap etc... Distances and rest times may vary during a workout so setting up interval workouts while at the track isn't really an option. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Keep the display on the second 'page' of figures (current lap pace, current lap time, current lap distance) and instead of stopping the watch after every interval, start a new lap. 'Current lap time' is the length of your recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rambunctious1

Doh! Thanks, that makes perfect sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

my 305 packed in on friday, its about 13.5months old, i know its out of warranty now so i ended up buying a new one yesterday as i feel i need this thing for the final few weeks of my marathon training (costco -$140CAD, not bad).

however, how are the warranties tracked anyway as i dont have the reciept for the old one, can i still send it off for a paid(by me) replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Incidentally, the Forerunner 610 is getting some dreadful feedback on the charging issue. Apparently it is quite flakey/hit and miss, and will more often than not discharge rather than charge when you have it plugged into the cradle. Wouldn't be in a rush to upgrade to the 610 for another few months.

Oops. Too late now. Anyway I have mine about a month and haven't noticed this/any charge/discharge issue at all. The magnetic coupler seems to hold the watch quite well and any time I've plugged it in to charge it it's been at 100% when I look again (usually AC/mains power overnight so I can't comment on the charging speed). Keeps its charge very well between uses so I get a few runs between charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Pretty basic one but after doing a search and can't get the answer to this...

Garmin 305 user, I have distance alerts on my garmin at present after every mile but I want an alert on my watch that tells me the pace I've done the last mile in - how do I get this back on my watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of investing in one of the Garmin watches. The 305 seems to get great reviews though it does seem a bit bulky. Does it fit well/comfortably on people who have smaller wrists?

Have also been looking at the 405 and 110 on amazon. Can anyone recommend which one might suit me best as a runner who's attempting their first marathon this October? I'd like to have the heart rate monitor option, but beyond that I'll rely on the wisdom and experience of Garmin users!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

run44 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm thinking of investing in one of the Garmin watches. The 305 seems to get great reviews though it does seem a bit bulky. Does it fit well/comfortably on people who have smaller wrists?

Have also been looking at the 405 and 110 on amazon. Can anyone recommend which one might suit me best as a runner who's attempting their first marathon this October? I'd like to have the heart rate monitor option, but beyond that I'll rely on the wisdom and experience of Garmin users!

Thanks!

I am a woman with small wrists and the 305 is fine. Its so light, that you don't notice its bulky once its on.

I don't know much about the 405.

The 110 is the same price as the 305, with much lower functionality.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

happygoose wrote: »
    Pretty basic one but after doing a search and can't get the answer to this...

Garmin 305 user, I have distance alerts on my garmin at present after every mile but I want an alert on my watch that tells me the pace I've done the last mile in - how do I get this back on my watch?

Sounds like you want the autolap to be turned on. Will then beep at you each mile and show you the time for that one for a few seconds.

run44 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Thanks!
    If the 305 is too bulky for you, then the 405 is probably the best bet, as it offers a lot more in terms of functionality than the 110. In other words, it does everything that the 110 does, and a lot more, for an extra £30 (amazon.co.uk). You could buy a 110, and then after 6-8 months find that you have out-grown it and need the functions of one of the other watches. The 305 still represents best bang for your buck though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Can anyone help with pairing a new ANT stick with my 405. The kids made off with my old stick and after tearing the house apart I finally gave up and got a new ant stick. I thought I would just have to plug it in and away I go but nothing seems to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Rawhead wrote: »
    Can anyone help with pairing a new ANT stick with my 405. The kids made off with my old stick and after tearing the house apart I finally gave up and got a new ant stick. I thought I would just have to plug it in and away I go but nothing seems to happen.
    Do you not have to 'pair' with each other again.

Like Gerard65 suggested, you need to enable pairing on both devices (the new USB Ant stick and the watch). Once that is done, and they recognize each other, you need to authenticate to your Garmin Connect account. Don't forget to configure the settings in the ANT agent for how you want the Ant stick + watch to behave, i.e.:
    Send activities to Garmin Connect
    Send activities to Garmin Training Centre
    Remove/Delete training activities after upload.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Just got it sorted lads.
    Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

http://www.runtheline.com/2281/best-gps-running-watch

cool comparison between most available gps watches out there

• Advertisement

BobMac104 wrote: »
    http://www.runtheline.com/2281/best-gps-running-watch

cool comparison between most available gps watches out there
    A decent starting point but realistically, each one of the tests should have been carried out several times and averaged or totaled.

Also, as someone pointed out, you can set the 305 to record trackpoints every second. This is also true of the 310 and may also be true of the 610. This would completely change the outcome of his comparison.

Finally, if you are doing a training watch comparison, why look at only the most basic features?

I'll stick with Linklater's reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

absolutley the test should have been done multiple times. just thought it was interesting and would add to the info in this thread.

on a side my own 305 arrived this morning. it is bulky alright but id say it'll be grand when out running. Looking forward to trying it out this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

My 305 is dead after a few years (battery done for). Who/Where do I ring to avail of the Garmin offer where you post back the damaged Garmin and they send you back a refurbished one for something like 60/70 yo/yos? Is this an unofficial offer or is documented somewhere on their website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Gringo78 wrote: »
    My 305 is dead after a few years (battery done for). Who/Where do I ring to avail of the Garmin offer where you post back the damaged Garmin and they send you back a refurbished one for something like 60/70 yo/yos? Is this an unofficial offer or is documented somewhere on their website?

Rang Garmin UK & €59 will have a working one back to me in up to 10 working days. Not too shabby considering its 3.5yrs old

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭Trampas

Got a 405CX today. Trying to upload an activity for the 1st time to connect but keep getting activity transfer to garmin connect failed due to server error.

I have followed the the steps to install the ANT Agent.

Watch is communicating to the GAA without any issues it is only when it tries to upload to connect it getting the issue.

I have even tried been logged into connect when the uploading is happening via different browsers without any luck.

I have tried doing the upload via the connect website and it see my activity but just keep uploading for a 15 mins without finishing.

If anyone can help me would be great.

Trampas wrote: »
    If anyone can help me would be great.
    It's hard to say what could be going wrong. Did you try a manual upload to Garmin connect (to make sure the activity isn't corrupted)? Also install Garmin Training Centre, and see if you can send the activity to GTC.

Did you authenticate to Garmin Connect after pairing the watch?

It's hard to say what could be going wrong. Did you try a manual upload to Garmin connect (to make sure the activity isn't corrupted)? Also install Garmin Training Centre, and see if you can send the activity to GTC.

Did you authenticate to Garmin Connect after pairing the watch?

I authenticate the watch fine.

After I reinstalled the s/w on my laptop the ant still knew my watch I didn't need to pair it again.

Do you know if I do a complete clean of the ant so it is like I start fresh again?

Trampas wrote: »
    I authenticate the watch fine.

After I reinstalled the s/w on my laptop the ant still knew my watch I didn't need to pair it again.

Do you know if I do a complete clean of the ant so it is like I start fresh again?
    Can you send on the activity, so I can check to see if it is corrupted? Or just import it into GTC. I can also try and import it into my own Garmin Connect account.

Can you send on the activity, so I can check to see if it is corrupted? Or just import it into GTC. I can also try and import it into my own Garmin Connect account.

Do you know where on my laptop is the activity saved to?

I tried looking in c:\program files\garmin and couldn't find any new files in there

• Advertisement

What OS are you running? If it's Win7/Vista, try:
    <drive letter>:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\<devicenumber>\History

It should be a TCX file, named with your activity's date. Once you have located the activity, log into Garmin Connect, Click on Upload, select Manual upload, and see if you can get it to upload. Then report back.

Advertisement