Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Hi Viber, I'm on a stock Nexus One and I'm having a bit of trouble with the text messages at the moment. For the last few messages I've sent they say its awaiting a data connection to send it, even when there is a data connection, but the icon never goes away once the message is sent. So at this point I dont know if the message was actually sent or not - I know at least 1 of them was since it was replied to but even that one still has the red Pending connectivity icon. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

JohnK wrote: »
    Hi Viber, I'm on a stock Nexus One and I'm having a bit of trouble with the text messages at the moment. For the last few messages I've sent they say its awaiting a data connection to send it, even when there is a data connection, but the icon never goes away once the message is sent. So at this point I dont know if the message was actually sent or not - I know at least 1 of them was since it was replied to but even that one still has the red Pending connectivity icon. Any ideas?

We recently discovered some problems with our text messaging and we're currently working to fix it in our servers. This may be the cause for your temporary disruptions.

Please see if the problem is solved by tomorrow, and if it's not, remove Viber and reinstall. If even then the problem remains, let me know please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Viber wrote: »
    @irishpancake

You're saying the sound-routing problem was fixed on CM7 with Viber? This is new to me, as I keep getting reports that people with CM7 who try to use Viber still can't be heard by the other side.

And about your question - yes, we are trying to develop support for a few ROMs these days.

Eh, no.....sorry.

I meant that sound routing problem on VOIP (Sipgate and in-built Android 2.3 Voip, also Skype) were fixed on CM7...would check out Viber at some stage, to see if same fix worked for that. See Fixed Issue 2858 from Comment #73

I don't use CM7, as there are some other bugs present which may prevent normal, every-day use, but reports are good for latest Nightlies.

Just a little bug seems to have arisen with the exit of Viber, not sure how, but, without re-boot, having exited, the app started to run again, notification popped up. I cannot say what the circumstances were, but it seemed to happen after using Titanium Backup. :confused:

Thanks again...
    Danny

Just saw this on XDA....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=16314638&postcount=68
    Hi all,
    This is a member of the Viber Development Team.

Hi everyone,

I'd like to announce that according to preliminary results, it seems as though we managed to find and fix the collision problem of Viber with CM7 and MIUI ROMs (and possible the rest as well)
    Both these ROMs "change" the device's identity (virtually, of course), preventing Viber from adapting itself correctly to the device's microphone configuration. This is why most of you with ROMs experienced the one-side audio issue.

Anyway - we are working on adding a fix to the new version that will hopefully be officially released next week to Market.

Updates soon,
    Viber.

When the new update???? I hope soon.....

Yea, I've announced it here as well.

We hope that the new version supporting *some* ROMs is out today or tomorrow.

As usual, I will announce it here and will appreciate all of your feedbacks.

Hi all,
    Viber 2.0.2 has just been released to Market!

What's new?
    - Viber is back on Market for HTC Wildfire and HTC Hero users. However, note that due to immanent compatibility problems, Viber might not work 100% smoothly. We're working hard to improve these problems.
    - After hard work, as promised, Viber now supports *some* of the famous custom Android ROMs, such as CM7 and MIUI. We need your feedback in order to make sure the major problems with these ROMs are now resolved.

Please make sure you download the latest version.
    As usual - for questions/technical issues feel free to contact me.

Regards,
    Viber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Does it support Swedish Spring 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

Have Viber on a LG Optimus one 2.2 (three build), have to say it's almost unusable, echo and breaking up

@harpstilidie - we haven't tested Viber on SS5 (unfortunately we prioritized more popular devices). Please try it out and let us know, but even if it doesn't work smoothly, there will probably not be anything we'll be able to do in the near future :(

@k123456 - have you tested Viber on this device when both sides are connected to a high-speed WiFi network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Anyone else having trouble installing from the market?
    Comes up in a search, but no link to instal, and google throws up website problems :confused:

@Ghandee

As far as we know, no problems with Viber on Market. Still having trouble?

• Advertisement

@k123456 - have you tested Viber on this device when both sides are connected to a high-speed WiFi network?[/QUOTE]

Hi Thanks for coming back to me, both parties connected to a high-speed WiFi network

Hmm...
    We'll look into it.

LG Optimus One is known to be a little problematic with HD audio codecs (like the one we're using). There is unfortunately not much I can offer, but to wait for us to fix it - hopefully soon.

Stay tuned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

@harpstilidie - we haven't tested Viber on SS5 (unfortunately we prioritized more popular devices). Please try it out and let us know, but even if it doesn't work smoothly, there will probably not be anything we'll be able to do in the near future :(

@k123456 - have you tested Viber on this device when both sides are connected to a high-speed WiFi network?

Hi Viber....I think you misunderstood harpstlidie there!!

SS5(Swedish Spring Release 5) is a Custom Froyo(Android 2.2) ROM on the very popular ZTE Blade/Orange San Francisco.
    This is a custom ROM based on the CSE_P729VV1.0.0B01 (Official Comviq/Tele2 Sweden 2.2 ROM).

http://android.modaco.com/topic/334849-rom-froyo-swedish-spring-rls5-2011-04-19-oledtft-gen1gen2/

It is my ROM of choice also, as the various versions of Android 2.3 do not run well on the ZTE Blade, and I include CM7 and Ginger Stir Fry.

Hmm...
    We'll look into it.

LG Optimus One is known to be a little problematic with HD audio codecs (like the one we're using). There is unfortunately not much I can offer, but to wait for us to fix it - hopefully soon.

Stay tuned.

Thanks Viber,
    slightly off Topic, what are HD audio codecs, that might explain why MobileVoip doesnt work well on my phone

@Ghandee

As far as we know, no problems with Viber on Market. Still having trouble?

Sorted itself out now!

Back up and running! Thanks viber! Still lovin this app!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Works on my Vodafone 858, which I'm happy with, works best on wifi, get dropped calls on 3G, but then again the 3G pick up on this phone isn't great, am changing to Galaxy S2 in the coming weeks, so shouldn't be a problem

k123456 wrote: »
    Thanks Viber,
    slightly off Topic, what are HD audio codecs, that might explain why MobileVoip doesnt work well on my phone

An HD audio codec is a technological tool that turns what you say into bits of "0" and "1" in order to transmit them over the internet network, and when they reach their destination, the bits are transformed back into voice.

HD stands for High Definition, meaning the quality is better, but it's also more technologically complex to work with. As devices progress, they learn to handle higher and higher quality in a more smooth way. Some old/obsolete devices already have difficulty doing so, and some other devices are simply not adapted, not necessarily old.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I presume Viber switches to a low bandwidth codec when the call is over 3G though?

We're developing this feature (switch to a low-band codec on 3G) right now, and it will be implemented in the future, but for now it's the same high bandwidth codec for both :(

That means people with a stable, fast 3G connection will enjoy a very high-quality conversation, but people with a disrupted 3G connection will experience some cuts/lag.

We recently discovered some problems with our text messaging and we're currently working to fix it in our servers. This may be the cause for your temporary disruptions.

Please see if the problem is solved by tomorrow, and if it's not, remove Viber and reinstall. If even then the problem remains, let me know please.

Hi Viber I'm still having issues. After the original issue last week it was still saying the messages were pending connectivity for a few days so two days ago I uninstalled then reinstalled and now the situation is 3 messages sent to iphone users yesterday are marked as sent but not recieved - those 3 people would have thier phones on 24/7 and be in good 3g coverage + intermittent wifi throughout the day. I just checked with one of them using whatsapp and they never recieved the viber message. I also sent 2 messages yesterday to another android user and while those were delivered it seemed to take a few hours. Then just now one of the iphone users tried to call me on viber and it just crashed on my end while it was still ringing for them. I'm on a stock nexus one.

• Advertisement

@JohnK
    What you're describing is strange... we haven't encountered such a radical bug before (that a message as the "V" sign, i.e successfully received, but the other side can't see it).

Did you make sure both sides removed Viber and installed the latest version?
    Are you SURE the messages were not received at the other end?

Hi Viber, no they were marked as sent only (ie, arrow icon) but they arent getting delivered so I'm not entirely convinced they're actually leaving my phone - it sounds a lot more likely than the messages are reaching your server and not getting sent out to the other users. One of the messages did get delivered today but that was approx 15 hours after I'd sent it.

I'm not sure exactly what version of Viber the iphone users are using but I'd imagine it's the latest. Given that theres now 4 iphone users and 1 android user I've had trouble contacting over the last two weeks would seem to indicate its more an issue with my phone than all of theirs otherwise you'd probably be getting a lot more error reports from people.

JohnK wrote: »
    Hi Viber, no they were marked as sent only (ie, arrow icon) but they arent getting delivered so I'm not entirely convinced they're actually leaving my phone - it sounds a lot more likely than the messages are reaching your server and not getting sent out to the other users. One of the messages did get delivered today but that was approx 15 hours after I'd sent it.

I'm not sure exactly what version of Viber the iphone users are using but I'd imagine it's the latest. Given that theres now 4 iphone users and 1 android user I've had trouble contacting over the last two weeks would seem to indicate its more an issue with my phone than all of theirs otherwise you'd probably be getting a lot more error reports from people.

Actually, this arrow sign means that it was sent fine from your phone to our servers, and it's pending delivery from our server to the destination user...
    Hmmm....

Just in case, have these problematic users restart their phones. Try again now and report back to me if it still fails or not.

Hi viber,

I know its a small issue, but when I go to share viber with friends via facebook, the pre-written text about viber and its free calls only makes reference to iphone.
    I know this is a minor problem, but you have to assume that folk reading that on my facebook status, that own an android device simply take no notice of the app because they assume it is applicable to iphone users only.
    Surely it can't be a big job to change the text around?

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Another possible problem that I am having.

My phone (Desire) closes the phone app about 10 times a day. This used to happen once or twice a week until I put Viber onto the phone and now every time I take the phone out of my pocket I have to enter my SIM ulock code again.

Have you come across this before? I'm going to uninstall Viber for a week to see if it gets rid of this problem

@Ghandee -
    You're right. That's a known issue that'll be fixed soon.

@Ballyman -
    I'm not quite sure I understood your problem fully. Can you please explain again?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

@Ghandee -
    You're right. That's a known issue that'll be fixed soon.

@Ballyman -
    I'm not quite sure I understood your problem fully. Can you please explain again?

Any way to change the ringtone to the phones one?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Does Viber change some sort of WiFi setting on the device, I've a Galaxy S II and the WiFi connection always changed to the 3G connection when I've left the phone idle for awhile. However since installing Viber I've noticed it's constantly staying connected to the WiFi?

@Ush1 - not yet. Changing Viber's ringtone will be possible in the future.

@draffodx - Yes, when WiFi is available, Viber keeps your phone connected to WiFi instead of switching over to 3G, for several reasons:
    1. it doesn't eat up your 3G data.
    2. it wants to stay available to receive calls/texts.
    3. as a whole, WiFi reception is usually better than 3G.

This function should be meaningless, since your phone switches to 3G anyway (i.e it would have stayed connected the internet anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

So, whats changed in todays update, (Ver 2.03)? Didn't see any changelog. Still no online contacts button and I can't seem to add favourites:confused:

Advertisement