Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread MkII

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

that's a wonderful post Magicmatilda, thank you :) One thing that really stood out for me:
    Not depriving myself but instead thinking about my food. Am I really hungry? Do i need a cinnamon whirl or would a banana do
    This, to me, is what it's relaly all about. I've been an emotional eater, a faddy eater, a dieter and everything in between in the past. But trying to change the way I think about food was been the key thing to losing weight for me. I used to see sugary snacks as a "treat" too and I'd "reward" myself with something laden with sugar and additives and crap at the end of the day. And then - over the course of a few months - I started to think, hang on, how is that rewarding myself? I feel sluggish and crap afterwards, surely I'm only doing myself harm and not good? And once you start to question that it all sort of starts falling into place.

And like you when I get a sugary craving now I kind of have to really ask myself what would satisfy it. More often than not a bowl of strawberries and some greek yoghurt will do the trick. When you reduce your intake of sugar (especially from procesed foods) your tastebuds respond in kind, and natural sugars become a lot more palatable and satisfying.

So well done for your progress so far, and keep up the awesome work and new ethic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

g'em you've also inspired me to write about my experience!
    I joined in Jan and nearly died when I saw the scales....17 10:eek: I was utterly devestated. Tried so many diets before but WW really works for me because I know that I'm going to be getting weighed every Tuesday so it encourages me to make right choices! I don't deny myself anything, if I have a treat I just up the exercise to balance it out. I can still go out at the weekends and still go for meals but it's all about making the right choices, looking at the type of dressing, sauces etc that are on the food. Also portion sizes are so so important, I can't believe the size of the dinners/lunches I used to eat before:eek::eek: So now here I am nearly 7 months later at 12stone 10.5lbs. I know I have around 2 stone more to lose but I know I can do it! It's all about being in the right frame of mind and being focused to do it! We'll all get there guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Oh and also I find it really helps to set mini goals, there's no point in thinking about the end result because it can be disheartening if you have a long way to go like myself! So at the moment my mini goal is to lose 5 and a half lbs by September so I'll get my 75lb cert. It helps to keep you focused, all about taking baby steps!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Excellent post MagicMatilda!

Some people here know my history - I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure a few years ago. Since then I have been on medication for both, my husband from whom I was separated for 18 months died last year at 41 and that really threw me off my tracks, alot of guilt etc though both of us had moved on in life at the time.

When I presented myself at my Doctor in January my blood pressure was 167/105, my hba1c's which give give a good indication of diabetic control was 12.4. (BAD!!!) - my weight was 15 stone. I went home with 11 tablets to take daily and an appointment to see an endicrinologist who would be deciding on my insulin shot regime.

One of the new tabs resulted in weight gain, tried sorting it out by myself but not much joy. I joined Weightwatchers on April 21st, hit the scales at 15st 11lbs.

Met the endicrinologist end May, having lost 11 pounds, with good blood pressure, was then at 133/86, and excellent diabetic control, RESULT : no insulin shots, tablets reduced to 5 per day.

What's the difference between now and pre April 21st -

There's no need for a cattle prod to get me moving anymore! I am walking daily and sometimes twice daily, and I look forward to it!

I am eating healthier than ever in my life, I have never been much of one for pre-prepared food and the same now, I am tweaking old and new recipes to make them healthier, to use a term gleaned from Boards I am eating clean and loving it. :cool:

I am fitting into clothes better now than I did when I was at the same weight 2 years ago - 23 pounds lost to date. :D

And I'm no saint - (wish I was! :rolleyes:) - if I'm out I will have a bit of what's on offer and I will have a few drinks.

Could I do this without WeightWatchers and the propoint system- ya I suppose I could but in a teeny part of my brain lies a little competitive streak and I like the discipline of being weighed in each week and being accountable to myself and I have a happy mental dance if I'm down even half a pound. I don't blame the WW leader for being useless if I'm up or STS and I don't blame the WW system, I know exactly where the fault lies, with myself.

For me, the health benefits of doing this have been enormous and far reaching and for that I am thankful.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dammitj

Wow guys, thanks for sharing your stories. It's wonderful to hear the positivity.

My story isn't really that interesting, I had a bad few years where I was very unhappy and gained a lot of weight in a short space of time.
    Got out of the bad situation, but it's taken me years (and more lbs) to get to the point where I felt happy and confident enough to actually start to lose the weight again.

WW has taught me which foods to look out for, which to eat less of, and what is good for me (to a certain extent - there are the same points in white bread and pasta as brown/wholemeal, but I will go for the healthier option every time)
    I exercise quite a lot now and don't really go to WW anymore, but if it wasn't for WW I wouldn't have lost almost 3 stone, and I wouldn't be where I am today!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 S_V

Amazing stories on here. I've just joined this week and wonder if anyone has any experience in doing WW on a glutenfree diet? Seems all the alternatives, gf bread etc, are more points than the regular options. I'm also missing out on WW treats and bars. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

S x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 S_V

Amazing stories on here. I've just joined this week and wonder if anyone has any experience in doing WW on a glutenfree diet? Seems all the alternatives, gf bread etc, are more points than the regular options. I'm also missing out on WW treats and bars. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

S x

S_V wrote: »

S x

Quite frankly you're not missing much! I would imagine WW is feasible on a gluten free diet though I don't have any experience of this. I expect you can't over do it on gluten free breads and other gluten free foods as it is so moderation is the key.

Good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Tmeos

Gem's post just raised something for me and that is the sustainability of Weight watchers and the pro-points plan long term. Now I'm not a knocker of Weight watchers at all - I'm doing the plan loosing consistently and not too far off my goal however my thoughts are starting to turn towards maintaining. I think I could well be one of those people who gain it back because I'm competitive and as I've mentioned before the 'game' of WW and the public weigh in mean I'm really driven to do as much as I can.
    What will happen when I've won the game and there goes my motivation?
    Now I have been eating healthily and exercising more than I ever have before but to be honest the thought of counting points and tracking for the rest of my life just to stay the same weight makes me feel pretty despondent. It's just so much faff with the calculator, the tracker, the eating out guide, activity points, working things out, planning what I can spend my weeklies on, always having a running total in your head etc. etc. etc. I know for a fact I can't live like that forever.
    So I'm kind of thinking out loud here but I think I will keep going to Weigh In for the time being (still about a stone to loose) but I think over the next while I am going to try to phase out pointing and just try to make my healthy diet and exercise second nature and not require so much calculations and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭MaggieMay2

Caros great to read your post. To hear of your hbA1c coming down is fantastic and you managed to escape the insulin shots!!! Keep it up, its worth it I defo know....

I'm a type 1 diabetic and have to inject on average 4-6 times a day depending on my eating habits. I got it when I was 19 so even after 11 years it's still a learning curve. I've managed to get my hbA1c down to 7.4 which I'm delighted about. The new WW programme is suited great to us as the fruit is 0 so if I need to regulate my bloods if they're low I can grab something whereas before I had to point everything I ate so I'm not limited as before!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

The last few posts have been really nice to read, Here's my two cents:

I joined Weightwatchers on June 16th this year after a lifetime of completely neglecting myself. I had gone from a comfortable size 14 to a very uncomfortable size 20 in the last six years and I don't think I realised what I was doing to myself. I think that if you join WW in the wrong frame of mind, ultimately, it will not work. You need to address why you are overeating in the first place - for me food was an emotional crutch, I'd eat due to boredom, anger, loneliness, frustration, happiness, worry - I think I ate for every single reason OTHER than hunger. I realised in June that I needed to do something, or I'd end up either getting diabetes or a heart attack. I chose WW because I need the structure (I'm a big list-a-holic anyway, so the tracker suits me) and I need the weekly meetings to keep me on track.
    I think people can get far too focused on points - we all know what's healthy and what isn't, so if you use your daily points on good, basic, nutritional food and keep your weekly points for the occasional treat (I don't mean ten bars of chocolate every single day just because points allow it - if you're still eating like that, then maybe you seriously need to address why you're doing WW). I eat as healthily as I can and exercise during the week and I enjoy every single one of my 49 weekly points at the weekend - and this, I feel, is something that I can keep up for life. I have lost 16lbs so far, and hopefully I'll be well on track to my own goal weight in a few more months. That's why I think WW works and why I don't think it's a faddy diet. It's what YOU make it.

I'm really sorry if I sounded preachy, I don't mean to be, I'm actually just so annoyed with myself that I didn't do this sooner - when I think about the amount of nights out or occasions I missed because I didn't want to get dressed up and be the 'funny fat one who'll listen to all our problems', or all the photographs I'm not in because I hated pictures so much...it really gets to me.

Someone asked for gluten-free tips - my cousin is doing WW and is a coeliac so I will ask her for any hints/tips. x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

After reading all the stories, I thought I'd add my two pence :)

I joined WW last September at 14 st 7lbs. Before WW I'd tried every fad in the book but my mindset was never right. I piled my weight on in school due to a number of issues. The week before I joined WW I had been shopping for new clothes for going back to college. I was going into my final year. I was borderline a 18 in some shops and I felt so depressed. So I decided there and then I'd join WW. As if it was faith, I went into work that same evening and a girl told me she had joined the week before and that I should join with her :) So since then I have lost 23 1/2 lbs. Since Jan it has been very slow and I hit a bit of a plateau. Then when I finally got back on track I had finals and holidays.

Before I joined chocolate and large portions of mash potatoes and gravy were my enemy! Since I joined, I am eating healthier than ever. I am eating more food and a wide variety of different foods. I am determined to never go back to how I was. I also loved my final year of college and had so much fun because I could fit into nice clothes. As a result I am much more positive and confident in myself. People have even commented on how I seem to be walking taller. I am also getting lots more guys, probably too many :D;). I am still about 2 st away from where I want to be but I am happy with who I am now. My graduation is the end of August and I'd love to have another few lbs lost by then.

WW has worked for me because of the discipline and the self-competition. WHEN I reach maintenance my plan atm is to slowly come off strict pointing but still being aware of what I'm eating. I can't see my everyday meals changing once I reach goal as I love the foods I'm eating. I also plan on WI every month so that it will keep me on track.

I believe that it isn't WW that fails after goal, it's the individual. A person who is in the frame of mind that once they reach their goal, they can eat what they want, WILL put back on the weight no matter what diet or healthy eating plan they follow.

Sorry for the long post just needed to get that out :o

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sarahfancy

I'm really sorry if I sounded preachy, I don't mean to be, I'm actually just so annoyed with myself that I didn't do this sooner - when I think about the amount of nights out or occasions I missed because I didn't want to get dressed up and be the 'funny fat one who'll listen to all our problems', or all the photographs I'm not in because I hated pictures so much...it really gets to me.
    I know exactly what you mean. I hate pictures of me. And that isn't being fair to myself. It's time to do this for me!
    I try to avoid processed foods as much as possible, and not to get sucked in to buying the WW treats. I much prefer to make my own from WW recipes online or in cookbooks. But I do have four children and a full-time job, so that isn't always easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 NimmyZ

Another 2 lbs down. Wow and I thought I had sts at best. It must be all the jogging I'm doing. Feeling happy today.
    Total so far is 4 stone, 4 and a half pounds!
    Saw the screen yesterday in WI and it said I have over 4 stone more to lose so I'm NEARLY half way. YAY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

Hey guys......back from being away from few days....was spending the week hanging out with best friend before she moves to oz....

so I'll admit I had a kinda "to hell with it" kinda attitude towards food....after hearing that.....protecting my self with a contraceptive....was in fact damaging my healthy...ie....weight gain....I'm still in the horrors with that....but also....not stressing out as much....i KNOW the next few months will be slow going....but once its out of my system....I should be okay...

this week was more about her....spending time together....we only had a few days...she leaves up in meath and im in cork...not like we see each other much....so even tho i had....."good intentions".....they did kinda fall out the window...

but to be fair....the break.....the mini holiday did me the world of good....and getting away from computer too....i love this place....but feck it....im on here WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much!

Well i feel tired....sluggish....bloated.........which is just sending me back to the good ww eating habits :)

I actually cant wait to have a big bowl of porridge and fresh strawberries tomorrow!

(PS wiill have a few recipes tomorrow for ye....read tonnes of magazines on train)

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Anyone make their own oats health bars.

Looking for recipes or advice rather than buying expensive sugar ones in shops

Yeah i know....those "health" bars are so high in points....and when u look at the ingredients.....how the hell they can call them health bars is beyond me...

Sticky Date and Oat Flapjacks

ProPoints® Value: 3
    Servings: 16

Preparation Time: 5 min
    Cooking Time: 30 min
    Level of Difficulty: Moderate

These flapjack-style cakes are delicious served warm as a pudding, or cold as a tea-time or lunch-box treat.

Ingredients

150 ml Water, boiling
    1 teaspoons (level) Vanilla Extract
    150 g Spread, Low Fat
    150 g The Co-Operative Healthy Living Oatmeal, Quick Cook, Raw
    75 g Sugar, Light Brown
    1 tablespoons Sunflower Seeds
    1 tablespoons Sesame Seeds
    6 tablespoons Apple Juice
    225 g Date, Dried, stoned and chopped

Instructions
    Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C/350°F. Line the base of a 20 cm (8-inch), square, shallow tin with greaseproof paper or baking parchment.

Place the dates in a heatproof bowl and pour on the boiling water. Leave to stand and soften for 15 minutes. Add the vanilla essence and beat to a smooth puree.

Gently melt the spread in a saucepan, or in a bowl in a microwave oven. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Mix well.

Spoon half of the oat mixture in the tin, pressing it down well with the back of a wooden spoon. Spread the date puree over the base and top with the remaining oat mixture.

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the surface is golden. Allow the mixture to cool in the tin before cutting into 16 squares. Store in an airtight container.

well if the lbs are going to be tough to shift from the depo for next few months....then im going to focus on fitness and inch loss.....dusting off the weights and quing up the dvd player for tomorrow :D

IM BACK!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MrsMoneypenny

Can someone tell me what's the story with Baileys? When I point it according to nutritional info it's 1 pp per 25ml but on here I've read it's 3 per 25ml.

Help someone!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 PrincessDee

hi im new to boards are not quite sure how to use it so sorry if im in wrong section.been doing weight watchers about 7 weeks now.looi sing weight every weigh in but havent been to ww in 2weeks.cause iv been bit naughty with my diet and am bit scared...despite that I still seem to be loosing weight(u can tell by clothes).

But anyway ive been relatively good this week and fancy something naughty tonight :) perhaps chippie chips with garlic mayo dip OR maybe sweet and sour chicken cantonese style(chinese takeaway)......
    Would anyone know approx the pp for these?also id prob get rice with that too ;) thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Yay - Lainy's back :D We missed you girl! Glad you had a good team on your holidays :D

Ran 10k in Ardee today - took me 1hr 10mins - p'd-off.com :mad: Really wanted to do it in the hour but it was just too warm and felt like I was going to puke from about the 5k mark :mad::mad::mad:

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Yay - Lainy's back :D We missed you girl! Glad you had a good team on your holidays :D

Ran 10k in Ardee today - took me 1hr 10mins - p'd-off.com :mad: Really wanted to do it in the hour but it was just too warm and felt like I was going to puke from about the 5k mark :mad::mad::mad:

Fair play to you for doing the run and finishing it despite feeling unwell from midway! Quite an achievement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Can someone tell me what's the story with Baileys? When I point it according to nutritional info it's 1 pp per 25ml but on here I've read it's 3 per 25ml.

Help someone!!!!

You cannot point alcohol yourself due to the lack of nutritional information on the bottle. If in doubt, ask your leader, they all have a list of drinks and their PP. As per Skinny Doll's Blog, Bailey's is 6PP per 50ml.
    hi im new to boards are not quite sure how to use it so sorry if im in wrong section.been doing weight watchers about 7 weeks now.looi sing weight every weigh in but havent been to ww in 2weeks.cause iv been bit naughty with my diet and am bit scared...despite that I still seem to be loosing weight(u can tell by clothes).

But anyway ive been relatively good this week and fancy something naughty tonight :) perhaps chippie chips with garlic mayo dip OR maybe sweet and sour chicken cantonese style(chinese takeaway)......
    Would anyone know approx the pp for these?also id prob get rice with that too ;) thanks

Welcome to the thread. It is great for motivation and tips, hints and recipes. Please take the time to read G'em's post at the start. Please also refrain from asking for PP in takeaways/junkfood etc on this thread as we have been warned to keep it strictly healthy and any discussion of unhealthy habits or food may results in the thread being deleted. It is very hard to know the points in takeaways and only you, yourself could actually "guestimate" the PP in what you eat as we would not know the portion size you are eating and EVERY restaurant has different portion sizes. Skinny Doll's Blog has a list of a few dishes from various type of takeaways but again you should not use this as your bible as every restaurant differs. Good luck with your weightloss journey.

Shoe Lover, that is amazing. Well done! Give yourself a huge pat on the back for the fact that you ran 10 KILOMETRES!!!!!! I was dying after walking 10k for the mini marathon which took me an hour and 55 minutes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

This weeks results, with only about 50% of people contributing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MrsMoneypenny

Thanks monife- only had the one baileys last night thank god after hearing the points value!!!!

1hr 10.....10k.....wow! took me like hour an half to walk 8k few months back in the charity walk!
    WELL DONE!

I actually missed my regular breakie :D (yes i know its lunch time....kinda slept in)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Thanks guys, I know an hour and 10 isn't too bad, but I've done it in 62 mins before so was annoying but I earned 12pp for it so can't complain :D

Haven't been at class for a few weeks now so haven't gotten weighed in a while so I found another tool to measure my weight loss - the dress I bought for my friends wedding! :) Tried it on before bed last night and was able to zip it nearly all the way up! Huge improvement on last week! Will try it on again next week and see how it looks then! Four weeks to go to the wedding! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sarahfancy

Thanks guys, I know an hour and 10 isn't too bad, but I've done it in 62 mins before so was annoying but I earned 12pp for it so can't complain :D

Haven't been at class for a few weeks now so haven't gotten weighed in a while so I found another tool to measure my weight loss - the dress I bought for my friends wedding! :) Tried it on before bed last night and was able to zip it nearly all the way up! Huge improvement on last week! Will try it on again next week and see how it looks then! Four weeks to go to the wedding! :D

That's excellent about the dress! Keep at it.

I've signed up for a 10k in October and would be thrilled with that time! Right now I can manage about 8 minute kilometers, but I am improving every week. And I only run 2 miles at the moment. Getting there....

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dammitj

Lady Lainy wrote: »

well if the lbs are going to be tough to shift from the depo for next few months....then im going to focus on fitness and inch loss.....dusting off the weights and quing up the dvd player for tomorrow :D

IM BACK!

Hey Lainy,

I gained about 2 stone with the depo myself, was gutted, it was years ago and it's taken me SO long to shift it.
    I really wish someone had told me beforehand that it could lead to such weight gain.

Anyhoo, I have a question for you guys.

A friend of mine has hit her goal weight at WW and wants to get her gold card, however the leaders in Sligo aren't the best...

Does she need to stay at the goal weight for the next 4 weeks to get the card or can she go up/down a few lbs?

Any info would be great so she can bring it back to the class!!! Thanks!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

dammitj wrote: »
    Hey Lainy,

I gained about 2 stone with the depo myself, was gutted, it was years ago and it's taken me SO long to shift it.
    I really wish someone had told me beforehand that it could lead to such weight gain.

Anyhoo, I have a question for you guys.

A friend of mine has hit her goal weight at WW and wants to get her gold card, however the leaders in Sligo aren't the best...

Does she need to stay at the goal weight for the next 4 weeks to get the card or can she go up/down a few lbs?

Any info would be great so she can bring it back to the class!!! Thanks!! :D

She has to maintain for 3 weeks and she can go up to 5lb above her goal weight or 5lb below and still get her gold card.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭hollyhock

I can't believe there was only one post yesterday,thats all I see! Bank holiday break!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

God, it's dead on here recently...

Has our wagon hit a bump and loads of people fell off??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement