Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

McLaughlin is a more complete 6 than Ryan but Ryan covers lock well and had a decent last few months at 6, keeping Leamy out as he is a god lineout option. For these reasons he should get the nod I think.

buck65 wrote: »
    McLaughlin is a more complete 6 than Ryan but Ryan covers lock well and had a decent last few months at 6, keeping Leamy out as he is a god lineout option. For these reasons he should get the nod I think.

Regardless of who travels, neither would see meaningful gametime.

They'd both be lucky to see even 20 mins vs USA and play 60 vs Russia.

Such is the manner of rotation we are used to employing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

profitius wrote: »
    How is McLaughlin a far better player?

well for starters experience, Mclaughlin has far more big game exposure at HC and International level with several starts in the HC including a final and a start in last season's 6n's against Italy. Ryan has started 1 HC game in 2nd row and none at 6 and IIRC has started no internationals.

Ryan is good in lineout but apart from that Mclaughlin is a far more rounded player, much better ball carrier and makes more of an impact around the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Better player? McLaughlin. Better fit for what I suspect DK is looking for? Ryan.

We can now rule out Nonu from moving. Whilst I think he's a great player, I don't think he would be a great signing for Munster. I think Toeava is the most likely signing at this stage. He can not only play for them as a centre but can step in and replace Warwick to an extent also at 15 for if and when Jones is with Ireland. In fact, Toeava is probably more of a back three player these days than a centre. I'm sure the NZRU are making big efforts to keep him at the Blues though considering they've already lost Payne and McAlister for next season.

The alternative big name signing is JDV. I don't think it's a path Munster should be looking down but I'm sure he is in the frame. Serious money for a player who will be almost 31 and mixed the excellent with the mediocre when he was here. Unlike Tipoki, I don't think he really brought out the best in those who played alongside him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I don't know, I've watched Ryan pretty closely this season and his only bad appearance was away to Toulon. Other than that he's been one of our best forwards. Saved our skins against Brive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

I don't know, I've watched Ryan pretty closely this season and his only bad appearance was away to Toulon. Other than that he's been one of our best forwards. Saved our skins against Brive.

unfortunately his problem is at 27 he's never had a run of games to prove his worth, i remember seeing him come on in a HC game against Llanelli 4 or 5 years ago and thinking he was going to be a class act but fast forward and he's had little big game action to build on his ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Ryan has been very unlucky that he hasn't been given the opportunity to usurp DOC in the row for Munster. He has been in great form and wouldn't be too far off the starting 4 jersey for Ireland, if he continues that form.

McLoughlan is a way behind Ferris/SOB at 6 and has very little lock experience. Bringing him would repeat one of the biggest mistakes of '07, ie. bringing too many 6's.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

He was pretty bad against London Irish wasn't he

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

He was pretty bad against London Irish wasn't he

True, he was then dropped for the Toulon home game the week after. MOD came in and had a stormer, got a try as well. MOD was firmly ahead of Ryan in the pecking order, until Ryan got his recent run of games at 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Hes never gotten a decent chance to make a position his own in the team. Last season he had a chance and got injured. This season just gone he got a chance near the end at playing 6 and got better in every game. Then he moved to lock and played well too because he was after a run of games.

I don't know how many times he has started with POC. Very little I'd say. He has been better than DOC this season too and should be starting more games but he doesn't have a central contract and DOC never gets injured.

Kidney rates him because he knows he is a talented player and helped Ireland win their last Churchill Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

So I see 3 new jersey designs to b released soon and available in August. I'm praying for a nice away one.Never liked the present one.

Ryan has been very unlucky that he hasn't been given the opportunity to usurp DOC in the row for Munster. He has been in great form and wouldn't be too far off the starting 4 jersey for Ireland, if he continues that form.

McLoughlan is a way behind Ferris/SOB at 6 and has very little lock experience. Bringing him would repeat one of the biggest mistakes of '07, ie. bringing too many 6's.

He's had 7 years with Munster. What sort of opportunity is he waiting for? DOC was in the worst form of his life arguably up until the 6N this season and Ryan couldn't get ahead of him. If his performances demanded selection, in the same manner that Murray for example has, he would be in the side and not being shoehorned in at 6. He looked like he had the materials to be a world class lock 4 years ago and stagnated badly due to sitting around, not even making the bench for HEC games. He had an chance in the HEC this season and didn't take it.

His great form, has been good. People tend to blow these things out of proportion. He has played well at 6 most certainly but this great form tends to get multiplied once the national selection debate comes into it. He has been solid, exposed once or twice, but over all played quite well. But I don't think he has had a game where I've genuinely thought to myself afterwards that he can't be left out after that performance.

We won't make the same level of mistake of 2007. We brought 5 blindsides on that occasion and, if we're going to go down that path, it won't be due to a selection of Ryan/McLouglin as a dual player (both of whom have solid cases for inclusion), it will be the selection of Leamy who realistically, at best, should only be getting a run if DK decides to change his back row entirely for the Russia or USA matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

I've heard whistles in the wind Nonu is on his way, i know its a longshot but who believed the howlett rumours?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

Depp wrote: »
    I've heard whistles in the wind Nonu is on his way, i know its a longshot but who believed the howlett rumours?

http://af.reuters.com/article/southAfricaNews/idAFL3E7HU3SW20110630

Signed for the Blues. They were in for him though. So I'm told.

GerM wrote: »
    He's had 7 years with Munster. What sort of opportunity is he waiting for? DOC was in the worst form of his life arguably up until the 6N this season and Ryan couldn't get ahead of him. If his performances demanded selection, in the same manner that Murray for example has, he would be in the side and not being shoehorned in at 6. He looked like he had the materials to be a world class lock 4 years ago and stagnated badly due to sitting around, not even making the bench for HEC games. He had an chance in the HEC this season and didn't take it.

His great form, has been good. People tend to blow these things out of proportion. He has played well at 6 most certainly but this great form tends to get multiplied once the national selection debate comes into it. He has been solid, exposed once or twice, but over all played quite well. But I don't think he has had a game where I've genuinely thought to myself afterwards that he can't be left out after that performance.

We won't make the same level of mistake of 2007. We brought 5 blindsides on that occasion and, if we're going to go down that path, it won't be due to a selection of Ryan/McLouglin as a dual player (both of whom have solid cases for inclusion), it will be the selection of Leamy who realistically, at best, should only be getting a run if DK decides to change his back row entirely for the Russia or USA matches.

He's the perfect bench option though, ahead of Cullen or McL because he covers both positions pretty well.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

He's the perfect bench option though, ahead of Cullen or McL because he covers both positions pretty well.

Well, unless you want to have a proper second row and proper back row on the bench?!

GerM wrote: »

Once again we're looking at a heavily blindside/8 laden backrow pool, particularly if Jennings doesn't go, which would show we haven't really learned any lessons from 2007. The role of the traditional 7 has without doubt lessened, but guys like McCaw, Brussow and Pocock are invaluable to their teams, and while I'm not saying Jennings is anywhere near that class, he's the closest to them that we have as an out and out 7.

Heaslip, Ferris + SOB is good enough as a unit to compete on the ground, but I personally don't think SOB is a 7 in any way.

wixfjord wrote: »
    Well, unless you want to have a proper second row and proper back row on the bench?!

He's both imo. I really don't think McL is so much better you'd crowbar him into the squad.

He's both imo. I really don't think McL is so much better you'd crowbar him into the squad.

But you're trying to crowbar Ryan into the squad by saying he's good enough to cover both SR, when we have far better options than him, and BR, where we have far, far, better options than him (incl MCL)! What I'm saying is, why do we need someone who can poorly cover two positions, when we've guys who can cover them individually far far better.

Let's remember that Ryan is older and less experienced than MCL too.

• Advertisement

But you're trying to crowbar Ryan into the squad by saying he's good enough to cover both SR, when we have far better options than him, and BR, where we have far, far, better options than him (incl MCL)! What I'm saying is, why do we need someone who can poorly cover two positions, when we've guys who can cover them individually far far better.

Let's remember that Ryan is older and less experienced than MCL too.

I don't think he's poor at either position. I think it says something for bias on your part that you think he's poor. He's not in the same bracket as Ferris, SOB or Leamy at 6, but neither McL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

In fairness, McLaughlin is so much better. To argue otherwise would be quite peculiar. McLaughlin's only problem is that he's playing for a team that is blessed with back-rowers. And even then, he starts in the HC final. And he starts because his work in the line-out is such an asset. I would have no problem with McLaughlin starting at lock for Leinster. He basically performs that role when he's playing anyway. He's played lock twice i think this year, and he slotted in with ease. His line-out work against Toulouse was brilliant.

Donncha Ryan had a run of good games towards the end of the season, but I don't think you can seriously say that he's as good as McLaughlin.

jolley123 wrote: »
    In fairness, McLaughlin is so much better. To argue otherwise would be quite peculiar. McLaughlin's only problem is that he's playing for a team that is blessed with back-rowers. And even then, he starts in the HC final. And he starts because his work in the line-out is such an asset. I would have no problem with McLaughlin starting at lock for Leinster. He basically performs that role when he's playing anyway. He's played lock twice i think this year, and he slotted in with ease. His line-out work against Toulouse was brilliant.

Donncha Ryan had a run of good games towards the end of the season, but I don't think you can seriously say that he's as good as McLaughlin.

I'm not going to bother slagging off mcL, he's not the best 6 or reserve 6 available. I say that's fairly beyond debate. He's nowhere near the best reserve second row.

What we're really asking is who should take one of the other spots in the squad. For me, Ryan's versatility wins it for him. McL is a good player but he's not as versatile as Ryan, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

I'm not going to bother slagging off mcL, he's not the best 6 or reserve 6 available. I say that's fairly beyond debate. He's nowhere near the best reserve second row.

What we're really asking is who should take one of the other spots in the squad. For me, Ryan's versatility wins it for him. McL is a good player but he's not as versatile as Ryan, imo.

Oh for sure, if it's a debate on which one to take, then Ryan should go. But as for Ryan being as good a player as McLaughlin, I whole heartedly disagree.

I don't think he's poor at either position. I think it says something for bias on your part that you think he's poor. He's not in the same bracket as Ferris, SOB or Leamy at 6, but neither McL.

Or perhaps it says something for the bias on your part that you think he's good, when all things point against it?! (See that game works both ways :p)

I would play Rhys Ruddock at 6 ahead of Donnacha Ryan.

I would play Mick O'Driscoll at 4 ahead of Donnacha Ryan.

This says a lot about him imo. Regardless of his perceived versatility.

I would play Rhys Ruddock at 6 ahead of Donnacha Ryan.

I would play Mick O'Driscoll at 4 ahead of Donnacha Ryan.

This says a lot about him imo. Regardless of his perceived versatility.

Said it better than I could. Do you bring a player simply because he's versatile and can conceivably play 6 and SR, (although hasn't shone in either) or bring one who is miles ahead of him in either position?
    And why is Ryan so much better than MCL at SR? Did he play much there during his good run? I don't remember, but thought it was 6 he was playing.

Or perhaps it says something for the bias on your part that you think he's good, when all things point against it?! (See that game works both ways :p)

Not really, he's a good player, it's debatable as to whether he's good enough to make the Irish RWC squad. You said he's a poor player which he plainly isn't. I don't feel the need to tear down other players to build up the ones I rate though.

Not really, he's a good player, it's debatable as to whether he's good enough to make the Irish RWC squad. You said he's a poor player which he plainly isn't. I don't feel the need to tear down other players to build up the ones I rate though.

oh come on, there's no need for hypersensitivity.

The actual quote was
    wjixford wrote:
    What I'm saying is, why do we need someone who can poorly cover two positions,
    It's relative, do you agree that MOD is a better 2nd rower than him? Yes? well than he is a poorer option than MOD.
    Do you agree that McL is a better 6 than him? Yes, than he is a poorer option than McL.

Enough is enough

Also, the pair of yee, (and me), this isn't suited to this thread. There's an Ireland Team Talk, and a RWC Chances thread. No point in dicking around in here!

• Advertisement

oh come on, there's no need for hypersensitivity.

The actual quote was

It's relative, do you agree that MOD is a better 2nd rower than him? Yes? well than he is a poorer option than MOD.
    Do you agree that McL is a better 6 than him? Yes, than he is a poorer option than McL.

Enough is enough

Also, the pair of yee, (and me), this isn't suited to this thread. There's an Ireland Team Talk, and a RWC Chances thread. No point in dicking around in here!

You really think saying someone covers two positions poorly is different to saying he's a poor player? Like I said, neither are in the class of our top three 6's (Ferris, O'brien and Leamy) or tbf, as good as Muldoon (when fit). I'd say at a push they are fighting out for 5 and 6th?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement