Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread MkII

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 savy2011

hi all

im back at weight watchers after a while and feel im doing well and its great fitting back into clothes i had banished to the back of the wardrobe.
    i find writing in my tracker huge - if i didnt track everything i ate i would eat alot more but the fact i do account for it really makes me think when im eating.
    one thing i find is how tough they are now on drink makes enjoying the wknd hard.
    i must look at the ww magazine and look for recipes but part of me thinks are we buying into a system by buying these things - their ready made dinners, their snacks, their calculator, it seems a lot more expensive than ever to be a member of ww and maintain it
    i think writing a list as to why u want to loose weight a great idea and something im going to do tonight
    im trying to increase my points with activity. i do jog but finding it tough to do as much as id like as its boring to do all the time and sore on the knees. it puts me in the high intensity bracket for working out points, can anyone else recommend another thing apart from jogging that would be seen as high intensity as i find cross trainer and bike more of moderate activity and i really want to earn as much points as i can in the gym time or activity time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Hey all

Any one know how many points in pitta bread! no details on packet! Ive done really well with my PP this week have loads of weeklies left yet I feel bloated or something like I expect to be up for some mad reason!

On exercise machines! I was going to try the vibroplate I have heard great things about them any one try them! I love a threadmill for days i cant get out walking I need to work on my core muscles they feel so weak after the baby who is 3 months now yay!

Lainy im with you on the washing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Baby75 wrote: »
    Hey all

Any one know how many points in pitta bread! no details on packet! Ive done really well with my PP this week have loads of weeklies left yet I feel bloated or something like I expect to be up for some mad reason!

On exercise machines! I was going to try the vibroplate I have heard great things about them any one try them! I love a threadmill for days i cant get out walking I need to work on my core muscles they feel so weak after the baby who is 3 months now yay!

The WW wholemeal pitta breads are 3 points. Do you have the brand name of the ones you have?

Vibroplates are great for toning up. Even just 5 mins on them can have a massive affect!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

savy2011 wrote: »
    hi all

im back at weight watchers after a while and feel im doing well and its great fitting back into clothes i had banished to the back of the wardrobe.
    i find writing in my tracker huge - if i didnt track everything i ate i would eat alot more but the fact i do account for it really makes me think when im eating.

one thing i find is how tough they are now on drink makes enjoying the wknd hard.

i must look at the ww magazine and look for recipes but part of me thinks are we buying into a system by buying these things - their ready made dinners, their snacks, their calculator, it seems a lot more expensive than ever to be a member of ww and maintain it

i think writing a list as to why u want to loose weight a great idea and something im going to do tonight

im trying to increase my points with activity. i do jog but finding it tough to do as much as id like as its boring to do all the time and sore on the knees. it puts me in the high intensity bracket for working out points, can anyone else recommend another thing apart from jogging that would be seen as high intensity as i find cross trainer and bike more of moderate activity and i really want to earn as much points as i can in the gym time or activity time

well no one forces us to buy these things....we do it cos they will make life easer....i know i dont want to walk around tesco spinning some cardboard thing...i'd be there ALL day.....I take long enough as it is and thats with the elctronic calculator....like i actually think 11 euro for the calculator is quite reasonable...when you think about how expensive ireland actually is... and well I paid 35 euro for my ww calculator back in october cos i had to get it in from england cos pro points wasnt out in ireland yet.

When i did motivation weight loss....i had HAD to buy THERE protein bars...HAD to buy THERE supplements...had to be there own branded ones...christ i was working out 40 ever every two weeks! and it didnt even work....

I dont think any of us are actually living on and eating ww readymeals full time...maybe once in a blue moon...but like alot of there products arent really that more expensive than any other brand, there breads, yoghurts, creme fraiches, cake slices, frozen pizza, arent much different from any other brand in prices

but there cooking sauces and fresh foods like pastas, cheese, chilled foods are expensive...but its just a matter of shopping around, watching for special offers....and stock up when they are on offer.

It is all optional...and they are "speciality foods" so they are always going to be fraction more expensive....but no one forcing us..buying ww products and aids is only a waste of time and money if your not going to give it a proper shot...

How about zumba classes? or ask the folks at the gym to reccomend a high intensity workout class...kick boxing...or even regular boxing with a bag....

How about using the rowing machine? it would be totally different to treadmill and jogging....it would be a nice shock to your system. ask them at the gym what speed and resistance you should set the rowing machine to to get the best results for you....we pay enough for gym memberships...these guys are qualified...ask them every question under the sun

I'm kinda glad there tough on drink in one way....cos every proper healthy eating plan advises cutting back on drink....drink and weight loss are not friends...so the new points being that bit tougher on drinks is more realistic and fair....most serious diets advise cutting it out all together! or limiting to a single glass of wine a week...

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Up as expected but at least i know last weeks wasnt a true weigh in!!always going to weigh in at the same time from now on!!

• Advertisement

Baby75 wrote: »
    Hey all

vibroplates are a bit of a con to be honest! We used to have them in work where i was selling "vibroplate sessions"....there placebo exercise....ppl SEE results on them...cos the want to see the results...the only thing they are actually good for is Warming up BEFORE the real exercise.

We had them in work about 3 or 4 years ago...before they got "big" they do nothing for weight loss....despite all the claims...they might HELP with toning a tiny tiny bit...in conjunction with a proper weight and toning regime and healthy eating....i honestly wouldn't waste my time!

This move is AMAZING for tummy muscles! you can get these kettle bells in tesco.....start with 5kg...
    the video is for super advanced....he's just really good at explaining the technique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u_nqSnM2S8

you'd want to be doing about 10 reps when you start off....but as you get used to it....work your way up to about 20 reps...i'm doing these most days with about 7.5kg bells

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭kc83

I have a freezer full of WW ready meals but hardly eat them at all....I use them for emergencies....like my dad had a bbq a few weeks ago and instead of eating that I PUT A WW meal in the micro wave...(10mins).so filled myself up on that instead of being tempted, saying that I still managed a few bites of buger but if hadnt had meal quick Id have eaten ALOT more bbq, and I was able to eat with everyone else out in the garden!
    Exercise Id def be loving the bike as high intensity but Id do a programme that I used before trainig for triathlon. Lance Armstrong has good motivation DVDS and programmes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭kty

Down 1lb this evening, happy with that!:D

Eabhabear wrote: »
    The WW wholemeal pitta breads are 3 points. Do you have the brand name of the ones you have?

Vibroplates are great for toning up. Even just 5 mins on them can have a massive affect!
    No dont know the name I was in a friends for lunch! they were not wholegrain LOL thanks tough!
    savy2011 wrote: »
    hi all

I'm back at weight watchers after a while and feel I'm doing well and its great fitting back into clothes i had banished to the back of the wardrobe.
    i find writing in my tracker huge - if i didn't track everything i ate i would eat alot more but the fact i do account for it really makes me think when im eating.

It can be expensive if you buy in to it! like buy loads of the meals etc I don't bother I know some use them in an emergency though! I personally love the magazines and cook books I keep the magazines and go back to the recipes ! but if you chose not to buy the magazines or calculators etc you can still do WW pp you can use the cal on line or the app for your phone! get recipes on line as well, I get ones sent to my email from ww in Australia

Thanks Lainy on the tip for exercise! its my core feels so weak! don't think I could do may be 5 sit ups if I was lucky eeek! need to strengthen my back muscles as well.

going to get some ingredients to make the bran muffins they look yummy! I having a bit of a bad day food wise! but still with in PP when I say bad Ive eaten white pitta bread I always eat whole meal! plus I had a croissant never have them either ! my friend made it for me so didn't want to say no! nice healthy dinner tonight though! pumpkin soup yummy and salad

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

Found this on Donal Skehan's website:

Serves 4
    2 x 200g (7oz) striploin steaks
    1 tbsp sesame oil
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
    Sunflower oil, for cooking
    150g (5oz) bean sprouts
    5 spring onions, thinly sliced
    1 ripe mango, peeled and sliced lengthways
    2 baby gem lettuces, roughly torn
    A handful of chopped peanuts (about 40g/11/2oz)
    A handful of fresh mint, roughly chopped
    a handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped

Dressing
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    Juice of 1 lime
    2 tbsp fish sauce (nam pla)
    1 tbsp caster sugar
    1 garlic clove, peeled and finely minced
    1 red chilli, deseeded and and finely chopped

It serves 4 and i've worked it out at 5 points a head without the peanuts, 7 if you add them. Nice alternative salad.

• Advertisement

Okay so for someone who doesn't do salad....i just made the MOST DELISH salad

Red Lettuce,
    Red Onion
    Spring Onions
    Gherkins
    Cherry Tomatoes
    Cucumber

Big massive dinner plate of it....that was my side salad to go with my lunchbox of Chicken Lasagne (14pp)

I prob did drown the salad in Tiger Thai Dressing...but it worked...cos i demolished the salad before even touching the lasagne!

Still have 6pp left :D So my Ryvita and Cheese might not even come out of my weeklies tonight :D

I'd LOVE 2lbs this week...not expected 4lbs again...but I'm putting in the same effort....so hoping for at least half of last weeks results!

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    Okay so for someone who doesn't do salad....i just made the MOST DELISH salad

Red Lettuce,
    Red Onion
    Spring Onions
    Gherkins
    Cherry Tomatoes
    Cucumber

Big massive dinner plate of it....that was my side salad to go with my lunchbox of Chicken Lasagne (14pp)

I prob did drown the salad in Tiger Thai Dressing...but it worked...cos i demolished the salad before even touching the lasagne!

Still have 6pp left :D So my Ryvita and Cheese might not even come out of my weeklies tonight :D

I'd LOVE 2lbs this week...not expected 4lbs again...but I'm putting in the same effort....so hoping for at least half of last weeks results!

Lainy is that salad dressing nice, trying to find something i like, dont like ones that are too vinegary!:rolleyes: Well done on the eating all the salads, bet ull start to like them soon!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SAexpat

Had my weigh in this morning - very happy with a 3 lb loss. I am now down in the 11 st range! Have to keep it up this week!
    I prefer WI in the morning, seems to work better for me!

Regarding the excercise thing - I went to a talk by the Doctor from Operation Transformation - Eva Orsmond. Basically she told everyone to concentrate more on the diet for weight loss and then use excercise to tone up. She kept on about the nutrition side being more effective overall. I think though it has to help to increase your activity!
    I am terrible at not wanting to go walking when the weather is bad, so I think a treadmill is the best option! I have been looking at the costs of hiring a treadmill, the prices I see are around €18 per week, Is this right? Surely it must be better to buy a secondhand one?

kty wrote: »
    Lainy is that salad dressing nice, trying to find something i like, dont like ones that are too vinegary!:rolleyes: Well done on the eating all the salads, bet ull start to like them soon!:)

its a very sweet dressing. it you like thai sweet chili sauce you'll like it, its sweet but mild. :D and it is a low fat dressing...didnt know what at the time...i just saw thai...and that sold me!

I'll admit tonight... that was a nice salad...it helped that my mum had just done the shopping so everything was as fresh as possible....the one thing i hate is soggy limp lettuce! I've tried gerkins at home...but LOVE them in subway! :)

SAexpat wrote: »
    Had my weigh in this morning - very happy with a 3 lb loss. I am now down in the 11 st range! Have to keep it up this week!
    I prefer WI in the morning, seems to work better for me!

Regarding the excercise thing - I went to a talk by the Doctor from Operation Transformation - Eva Orsmond. Basically she told everyone to concentrate more on the diet for weight loss and then use excercise to tone up. She kept on about the nutrition side being more effective overall. I think though it has to help to increase your activity!
    I am terrible at not wanting to go walking when the weather is bad, so I think a treadmill is the best option! I have been looking at the costs of hiring a treadmill, the prices I see are around €18 per week, Is this right? Surely it must be better to buy a secondhand one?

renting suits some ppl...cos they have it a few weeks....if they dont like it, it goes back and not taking up space...and there only out maybe 40 euro....rather than buying one second hand....still a couple of hundred at least...and then not like it and its there acting as a clothes horse....

generally the longer you rent them....the lower the weekly cost... you can rent them for likw 12 weeks stretches

WELL DONE 3lbs is GREAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Eabhabear wrote: »
    I'm also a fair weather exerciser. Can't stand the rain and I have a really bad immune system so I'd probably pick up a cold. If I had a treadmill I'd probably find it easier to drag myself up off the couch to do it and I'm always aware off people looking at me when I'm walking.

Totally +1 on that. I am SOOOO self-conscious when exercising and always think people are looking at me. I have tried a few different (free passes) gyms and at the first one, I thought I didnt like the set up so tried a few more and realised I just dont like gyms. All the skinny b**ches giving it socks and I feel like a complete loser because I cant go at the same pace as them. I spend most of my time trying to push myself so I dont look lazy or ooh look at the fat girl, she cant do anything and then come out hating the place and resenting the work-out. I absolutely love the treadmill though and really wish I could afford one, or even afford to rent one. I love the way you can push yourself on it, see your distance, time and calories burned and I know I would definitely not push myself like that when just walking outside.

I am also a fair weather walker. And by fair, I mean I dislike walking in rain/drizzle/mist, wind, cold and also when it is too hot. Not a huge fan of heat unless sitting beside a pool so that totally puts me off walking. Find it very hard to force myself out for a walk, but I think if I had a treadmill, I would go on it every day without fail. My mum has one and whenever I am in her house I go on it. So handy to just watch tv or listen to music while doing it at home.

its a very sweet dressing. it you like thai sweet chili sauce you'll like it, its sweet but mild. :D and it is a low fat dressing...didnt know what at the time...i just saw thai...and that sold me!

I'll admit tonight... that was a nice salad...it helped that my mum had just done the shopping so everything was as fresh as possible....the one thing i hate is soggy limp lettuce! I've tried gerkins at home...but LOVE them in subway! :)

Oh i do, def going to try it so! Thanks for that. delighted that you enjoyed the salad, def best when everything is fresh, i agree, nothing worse than limp lettuce! Love gherkins too!

kty wrote: »
    Oh i do, def going to try it so! Thanks for that. delighted that you enjoyed the salad, def best when everything is fresh, i agree, nothing worse than limp lettuce! Love gherkins too!

I know i sound like a child...but this is a serious Non scales victory! Liking Salad! HAHA! Just gotta make sure I'm always stocked with fresh stuff! I did gross my mum out...she hates gherkins...and i was like munching on them straight from the jar while making the salad!

Making the Quiche Tortilla thing tomorrow! The whole thing like 10pp! perfect for lunch :D (posted the recipe yday few pages back)

Think I'll try the cous cous tomorrow night...just to try something different

Its a 100g sachet and it says it serves 2 so (50g dried per serving), and each serving when cooked is 130g...which is 5pp....

So thinking of doing 60g dried for 6pp....its a full time job decoding these labels at times.

Chicken, Cous Cous + Salad

So tomorrow is ALL NEW FOOD :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭flamelily

evening all :)

had a nice toodle outside this evening with the little people......will be back to the treadmill tomorrow though as I just ambled today!!!

thanks for the exercise link thing Lainy.....I need to do something other than the treadmill!! Glad you are enjoying salad......I love gherkins as well, you talking about them is making me wish for them :D my DH HATES them.....but I might treat myself to a jar with the next shop.

never tried cous cous.......just looks odd but might give it a go.....need to vary my carbs and I know that cous cous is supposed to go nicely with salad!!!

I know i sound like a child...but this is a serious Non scales victory! Liking Salad! HAHA! Just gotta make sure I'm always stocked with fresh stuff! I did gross my mum out...she hates gherkins...and i was like munching on them straight from the jar while making the salad!

Making the Quiche Tortilla thing tomorrow! The whole thing like 10pp! perfect for lunch :D (posted the recipe yday few pages back)

Think I'll try the cous cous tomorrow night...just to try something different

Its a 100g sachet and it says it serves 2 so (50g dried per serving), and each serving when cooked is 130g...which is 5pp....

So thinking of doing 60g dried for 6pp....its a full time job decoding these labels at times.

Chicken, Cous Cous + Salad

So tomorrow is ALL NEW FOOD :D
    Not at all,its a huge achievement!! A very big NSV! Def going to get some cous-cous this week too, bulk it out with veggies etc, should be good.

• Advertisement

flamelily wrote: »
    evening all :)

had a nice toodle outside this evening with the little people......will be back to the treadmill tomorrow though as I just ambled today!!!

thanks for the exercise link thing Lainy.....I need to do something other than the treadmill!! Glad you are enjoying salad......I love gherkins as well, you talking about them is making me wish for them :D my DH HATES them.....but I might treat myself to a jar with the next shop.

never tried cous cous.......just looks odd but might give it a go.....need to vary my carbs and I know that cous cous is supposed to go nicely with salad!!!

yeah i've never had it either! so be expected for more silly rants tomorrow if i like it! :)

Like it 50g of it just looks so tiny..im assuming it REALLY swells up!

might cook the chicken in coconut milk and then just drain the milk off....so it'll be REALLY tender and juicy. kinda thai theme...as my new favourite dressing is thai...and my cous cous is thai flavoured...might as well roll with it.

Singapore Noodles: It should be in the RTE player cos it was only on rte last night. Some young fella...a young chef was doing a singapore noodle recipe...didnt see it....but i heard him say his version was "healthier" than take out version....so noodle fans....go snoop and find it...its on the RTE player site somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lizlemon

lizlemon wrote: »
    Eeeek! I have mine this evening too :(
    I have a feeling this might be the first week that I'm up. I'm hoping I'm not, but I'm thinking it might be the kick up the ass I need as I've been slacking a little bit the last 2 weeks.

Tonight was a lot better than I thought :D
    Down 1.... which brings my total loss so far to the big 1 STONE!! Awoohoo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 meabhaline

Hey

Reading your results (good and bad) is really motivating me. I'm only back on the wagon this week but am enjoying it so far. Had a lovely stir fry this evening for my dinner and am stuffed.

Does anyone else find it hard to fill their points? I'm on 36 and yesterday could only muster 30. I've had about 30 so far today but I so full from my dinner i could manage another bite. I'm a vegetarian and I consider veg my meat so maybe thats it, cause i'd imagine meat is pretty pointalicious.

The exercise thing is really hard for me. I'm in work from 8.30am to 7pm or 8pm some nights. I'm always so stressed and tired by the time I get home the thought of gym or going for a walk makes me wanna puke. I suppose its that kind of thinking that caused me to be over weight in the first place. I know i should have a bit more get up and go but its hard. Does anyone else feel the same, how does one balance a 40 to 50 hour working week, exercise, hobbies and actually spending time with friends and family? HELP ME

meabhaline wrote: »
    The exercise thing is really hard for me. I'm in work from 8.30am to 7pm or 8pm some nights. I'm always so stressed and tired by the time I get home the thought of gym or going for a walk makes me wanna puke. I suppose its that kind of thinking that caused me to be over weight in the first place. I know i should have a bit more get up and go but its hard. Does anyone else feel the same, how does one balance a 40 to 50 hour working week, exercise, hobbies and actually spending time with friends and family? HELP ME

When I started WW, the exercise thing was really daunting. I never exercised before WW. I started off with 15 minute walks, 3 times a week. And then built on that. After a while, you enjoy building on your time. If you are a morning person, you could have a quick walk in the morning, or if not, how about at your lunch time. You dont need to go mad doing it every day. Just do a little bit more than you did before and then slowly build on it. Also on weekends you can dedicate a little bit more time to exercising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭UPCurley

It sounds like you are all doing so well. I have started and stopped a couple of times but am now determinded to suceed.
    Can you advise how you got on the first week or two. What helped you? Any tips as to how to keep going.
    I'm an all or nothing person so I want immediate results and if I don't get them, I quit.
    I will be good for days, then just lapse and then give up.
    Thanks for any advice or words of experience. :o

UPCurley wrote: »
    It sounds like you are all doing so well. I have started and stopped a couple of times but am now determinded to suceed.
    Can you advise how you got on the first week or two. What helped you? Any tips as to how to keep going.
    I'm an all or nothing person so I want immediate results and if I don't get them, I quit.

I know i'm the same. I want it to be my WI so i can talk about it!

Monife wrote: »
    When I started WW, the exercise thing was really daunting. I never exercised before WW. I started off with 15 minute walks, 3 times a week. And then built on that. After a while, you enjoy building on your time. If you are a morning person, you could have a quick walk in the morning, or if not, how about at your lunch time. You dont need to go mad doing it every day. Just do a little bit more than you did before and then slowly build on it. Also on weekends you can dedicate a little bit more time to exercising.

Thanks. I'll take your tips on building up the exercise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 shazza_90

hey everyone,
    so not looking forward to tomorrows weigh in, although ive been so good all week with my points and extremely good with my exercise, doesn't seem to be showing as i took quick peek at scales earlier.
    Well going to do something new for a change, i'm going to plan my whole week of food now where as before i was planning them that morning.

Just wondering for opinions too on cereal bars. I bought alpen light which are 2 points and nature valley which are 3 points, is it ok to have one a day as snacks?
    Also if anyone is living in the cork suburbs and would like to meet up anytime i'd love to just to have chats and help along the way, no worries if not.

UPCurley wrote: »

Planning is key. If you are not prepared, then your healthy eating plan will go out the window. What helped me, was doing a meal plan for the week, seeing what ingredients I would need, and then stocking up. Also getting lower calorie/fat treats instead of the higher ones therefore if you have a treat, it wont break the PP bank. Also, dont set yourself up for failure by setting your goals too high. Set achievable goals and be proud of your weightloss. If you stick to the plan (with a few treats) and TRACK everything, you will see results, which will spur you on even more. This thread is great for motivation aswell.

• Advertisement

on threadmills I was checking on line and crazyfit@home have an easy pay option http://www.crazyfitathome.ie/epay.asp

also some tips for snacking while on road trips http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=13941&sc=3010

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement