Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours, one and only Queen thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 whadyasay

i applaud all of my southern bretheren for being as ****ing blind as you were 95 years ago. Congrats on your bachelor and hen party tourism boost. You make me ill.

Am from Derry, last i checked thats in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

But not in the republic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

I think we are maturing as a nation - people are allowed to hold republican viewpoints, we have republicans elected to our national and local governments in the 32 counties, we've had a republican party in government, and we have republicans who peacefully protest on the streets. It's just a shame that some people are so immature and backwards that they label anyone with a republican viewpoint as scum because of a few incidents of violence, people with that viewpoint really do let this country down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

But not in the republic

Haha is that a can of worms I just heard being opened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    "would of" isn't even a phrase.

Pedantic much?

whadyasay wrote: »
    i applaud all of my southern bretheren for being as ****ing blind as you were 95 years ago. Congrats on your bachelor and hen party tourism boost. You make me ill.

Don't post in this thread again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

Ok i have question - i know this would never happen but just imagine it did...

If the queen decided to go for a walk around dublin during the day to do abit of shopping, would she be attacked/kidnapped/killed ETC....

Kaneda_ wrote: »
    Ok i have question - i know this would never happen but just imagine it did...

If the queen decided to go for a walk around dublin during the day to do abit of shopping, would she be attacked/kidnapped/killed ETC....

As safe as any 85 year old woman, I would expect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

Exactly what i thought.Attacking an 85 year old woman?! What a shameful act.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

The saddest sight of this visit is the image of the Queen's car driving through empty Dublin streets. Looked like a scene from The Omega Man. As Diarmaid Ferriter said on RTE it's going to be a challenge for future historians to try and figure out what was actually going on with this visit from the public's point of view.

Ireland without its people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:D Good morning :D

MarchDub wrote: »
    The saddest sight of this visit is the image of the Queen's car driving through empty Dublin streets. Looked like a scene from The Omega Man. As Diarmaid Ferriter said on RTE it's going to be a challenge for future historians to try and figure out what was actually going on with this visit from the public's point of view.

Ireland without its people...

Pity the poor sods to have to wade through all the threads on the chatboards about it, for their PHD

I doubt it. She's a target for groups worldwide, if there's no threat to her whatsoever why does she have all the security around her?

Kaneda_ wrote: »
    Exactly what i thought.Attacking an 85 year old woman?! What a shameful act.
    People would claim her as a legitimate target given her position as Commander-in-Chief of the British Armed Forces. It would be killing an 85 year old woman, but her Armed Forces have blood on their hands too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

flash1080 wrote: »
    People would claim her as a legitimate target given her position as Commander-in-Chief of the British Armed Forces. It would be killing an 85 year old woman, but her Armed Forces have blood on their hands too.

And thats why 99% of people in this country despise hardcore republicans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Limerick3

MrChavcore wrote: »
    to all the people complaining and dregging up the past today i'd just like to point to japan as an example of how a society moves on and draws a line under the past... they have just as much reason (if not more) to harbour hate against the americans but they dont. i think its that kind of maturity and mentality that CERTAIN elements of irish society lack.

The 6 counties under foreign rule isnt the past. Standard west brit mistake.

Blood for blood solves nothing, ever.

And thats why 99% of people in this country despise hardcore republicans

I know, but some people are quick to forget that the violence was and is from both sides, although the British Army aren't patrolling the streets anymore. You'll see in this thread that there's a lot of ignorant people who don't distinguish between republicans who advocate peaceful means and republicans who advocate violent means of resolving the conflict. I think people can still be "hardcore" republicans without advocating violence but it depends on what's meant by "hardcore".

Tell that to the Americans going into a foreign country without permission and killing an unarmed man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

grenache wrote: »
    I just want to say to those thugs on Dorset St (Éirigí, Sinn Féin, Celtic "fans", you know who you are) who decided hurling every kind of weapon at gardai was a good way of "protesting" against the Queen's visit - you are absolute scum. You are something much less than dog **** on the footpath. You do not represent Ireland or its people. You are not Irish people, you are pure filth.
    You do know Sinn Fein where not present at the protest yesterday don't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matt cork

a really interesting read this one.

as a 'brit' who lived in ireland for 5 years and now with an irish wife i have been educated over the past decade on irish history.

it something that the presenters / commentators on sky and bbc should have been prior to commentating on yesterdays proceedings. personally i found it very uncomfortable to watch, this whilst the wife laughed and critisied in equal measures. we watched rte's coverge online instead.

thing is the vast majority of the english have never been educated to this part of 'our' history. Last 2000 years in a nutshell incorporates;

romans
    castles
    middle ages
    civil war
    great fire london
    waterloo
    WWI
    WWII

Call it ignorance but it's just lack of education. obviously recent history is very different but it perceived very differently in england. again this is lack of knowledge / education. i would guess the vast majority just don't understand.

if anything positive can come from the visit it would be the educating of english viewers during the commentary of this visit, the history of our oppression of our nearest neighbours, the killings and murders of many people over many centuries and why the monachary is perceived the way it is.

whilst i suspect it won't happen, i would like to hear the queen offer an apology, on behalf of the state she represents, to the irish people during her public speach at dublin castle, a recognition of many past mistakes.

i hope this provides anyone who is interested a view from the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What struck me about those 'protesters' yesterday was the average age, most of those young fcukwits were toddlers when the first IRA ceasfire started. Who do they think they are? What blood sacrifice have they made? What suffering have they endured during the years of conflict? Have they even crossed the border the fcuking wasters? How dare they sully our Tricolor with their scummy behaviour.

The IRA fought the British army to a standstill, but military victory was not possible for either side of the conflict. Every year the IRA Army Council Easter statement would point out the lack of a political alternative to armed struggle. Yet when the political path was offered, true to their word they gave it a chance and followed it.

And here we are today, history has shown that the greatest peace is always made with the greatest of enemies. The Irish peace process is a testament to that fact. The war is over, so who are these scum to question the IRA? In 1998 the people of this island spoke and this is the mandate that matters.

David Cameron gave a very powerful apology for the Bloody Sunday massacre. Yesterday the British Queen came to our sacred national monument and bowed her head in dignified respect to the brave Irish men and women who fought for Irish freedom. That for me was one amazingly powerful, dignified symbolic gesture to this country and I thank her for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dinorebel

MrChavcore wrote: »
    to all the people complaining and dregging up the past today i'd just like to point to japan as an example of how a society moves on and draws a line under the past... they have just as much reason (if not more) to harbour hate against the americans but they dont. i think its that kind of maturity and mentality that CERTAIN elements of irish society lack.

Using a country which has adopted a policy of burying it's head in the sand and either igoring or quietly honouring it's own war criminals as an example of forgiveness is probably not helpful.India or maybe South Africa would be better examples also some Central and South American countries seem to be able to get over the past pretty well.

Don't post in this thread again.

Banned.

Limerick3 wrote: »
    The 6 counties under foreign rule isnt the past. Standard west brit mistake.

Why exactly do you want them back? Surely peace between the people in the North is preferable to a united Ireland.

I'm not sure why people would complain about the Queen's visit; she laid a wreath in the Garden of Remembrance, a symbolic act which implies that the Irish were right to rise in arms for their independence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

What struck me about those 'protesters' yesterday was the average age, most of those young fcukwits were toddlers when the first IRA ceasfire started. Who do they think they are? What blood sacrifice have they made? What suffering have they endured during the years of conflict? Have they even crossed the border the fcuking wasters? How dare they sully our Tricolor with their scummy behaviour.

The IRA fought the British army to a standstill, but military victory was not possible for either side of the conflict. Every year the IRA Army Council Easter statement would point out the lack of a political alternative to armed struggle. Yet when the political path was offered, true to their word they gave it a chance and followed it.

And here we are today, history has shown that the greatest peace is always made with the greatest of enemies. The Irish peace process is a testament to that fact. The war is over, so who are these scum to question the IRA? In 1998 the people of this island spoke and this is the mandate that matters.

David Cameron gave a very powerful apology for the Bloody Sunday massacre. Yesterday the British Queen came to our sacred national monument and bowed her head in dignified respect to the brave Irish men and women who fought for Irish freedom. That for me was one amazingly powerful, dignified symbolic gesture to this country and I thank her for it.

All the while an hours drive up the road and the 6 counties are still illegally occupied.

Or are you forgetting about them up there because its too much hassle too think about them?

All the while an hours drive up the road and the 6 counties are still illegally occupied.

It's not illegal. The people of the North have decided via democracy to remain part of the UK, just like the people of the Republic exercised their right to leave.

Republicans and loyalists have accepted peace. Get a new cause.

Why exactly do you want them back? Surely peace between the people in the North is preferable to a united Ireland.

I'm not sure why people would complain about the Queen's visit; she laid a wreath in the Garden of Remembrance, a symbolic act which implies that the Irish were right to rise in arms for their independence.

Are you serious? Your asking me as an Irishman why I want Irish land back?

Limerick3 wrote: »
    Are you serious? Your asking me as an Irishman why I want Irish land back?

Yes. Answer the question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

she laid a wreath in the Garden of Remembrance, a symbolic act which implies that the Irish were right to rise in arms for their independence.
    Something that no doubt has a few of the posters here gnashing their teeth and ripping their hair out. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement